Maat fight

Chocobo, wark!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Maat fight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:16 pm

Inquisitor
So, in order to progress past level 70, I have to do this solo fight with a nasty old bugger from Jeuno named Maat.

There are actually level break quests for every 5 levels after 55, but this is the only one that is solo.

I don't get my subjob, and Maat gets everything I get plus some insane MNK like abilities. I am going to try at 66 for two reasons:

1) That's the earliest you can do any of hte level breaks, one level after the last break, so, 51, 56, 61, 66 are all when you can start the level cap quests for 55, 60, 65 and 70, respectively.

2) Maat will be something like up to 3 levels higher than me, and if I start at 66, he won't have the devastating ability, "Asuran Fists." Think MNK's 2hour on steroids.

Why do you care? Well, you don't, except theoretically. RDM is one of hte hardest Maat fights out there. I need to have a place to collect my notes. So, I am posting a thread. Feel free to comment on any of my manic plans :)
No signature

advice from a 69 rdm on alla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:18 pm

Inquisitor
First things first, macro all your gear to work with your spells. Like your Sleep macros, equip your Dark Staff and Spider Torque/Enfeebling Torque.. and your nuke macro, equip Elemental Torque and Wind Staff (obviously you'll be doing Aero III). Also go in naked and set macros to equip everything (rumor?). Be sure to eat a Melon Pie+1 before you go in. Macro your items, don't go wasting time searching through your list. Use yagudo drinks instead of refresh, you need all your mp. Only use ethers/potions right after you sleep him, to be sure he doesn't wake up in the middle of you using it.

How my fight went (super easy, no sweat):

-Entered battlefield naked.
-Started running for Maat ASAP, hitting macros to equip all my gear on the way.
-Sleep 2 Maat ASAP, got resisted, he hit me for 120, tried Sleep, he hit me again and interrupted, so I waited for 3rd hit, and cast right when I got hit. Sleep 1 landed.
-Ran as far away as to where I can still cast on him. Stoneskin, Blink, Yagudo Drink, Dispelx2 (protect, shell), used a Hi-potion+3 to get some of my HP back.
-Bind, Aero III, Sleep II (Aero III doing about 383 dmg)
-Waited for a few for sleep /recast.
-Bind, Aero III, Sleep II, after this sleep I drank a couple Super Ethers.
-Bind, Aero III, Sleep II, did this till about 100 mp, then after sleep, I converted + Cure IV + a couple Hi-Potion+3.
-Bind, Aero III, Saw him Chainspell, Sleep II. Noticed that Stoneskin and Blink wore, so recasted them.
-Waited for Chainspell to wear. Bind, Aero III, Sleep II, and repeat as usual, till I got low on MP.
-Drank a Vile Elixir when MP got low.
-Bind, Aero III, Sleep II (resisted) but Maat was at like 30%, and was still bound, so I just cast Aero III again when it was ready, and boom, fight over.. I win.

I didn't have to chainspell, and I only used 3 hi-potion+3, 2 super ether, 1 vile elixir.

Lowest HP I had was 500.. near the beginning of the fight. He never hit me again, with anything.

My gear was:

Dark/Wind Staff depending on spell
Full RDM AF
Penitent's Rope
Red Cape+1
Pthm. Tathlum
Pthm. Earring
Genius Ring x2
Moldavite Earring
Spider/Elemental Torque depending on spell

Basically the luck part of this is sleep/bind landing, and if Maat casted Blink before you got up to him. If he did cast Blink.. you might as well start heading towards Qulun Dome for another test.. unless you're lucky and blink doesn't catch that initial sleep.

DEFINATELY go on DARKSDAY. If you go on darksday and have +20 or more INT gear/food on, you shouldn't have any trouble landing sleeps/binds. Forget windsday... you want a safe/skilled battle, not a fast/hope you kill him before he kills you battle. But that's just my opinion.. everyone has their own. ^^

Just have to remember, stay cool no matter what. If you start panicing because things aren't going as planned, you could get yourself in deeper trouble. Notice the first part of my fight didn't go as planned, but I didn't panic, just stayed cool, and the fight went perfectly after that.
from http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/quests.ht ... fquest=516
No signature

macro and gear suggestions for a 66 RDM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:20 pm

Inquisitor
Sure here is a list of stuff I used:

Pluto's Staff, Earth Staff
Morion Tathlum
AF Hat, Body, Legs
Elemental Torque, Black Neckerchief
Morion Earring/Cunning Earring, Moldavite Earring
Astral Ring/Electrum Ring, Zircon Ring x2
Red Cape+1
Royal Knight's Belt
Custom M Boots
Ok, here's the macros I remember using:

Cure3:
/ma "Cure III" <me>
/equip main "Light Staff"

Cure4:
/ma "Cure IV" <me>
/equip main "Light Staff"

Convert:
/equip L.ring "Astral Ring"
/equip R.ring "Electrum Ring"
/ja "Convert" <me>

Stoneskin:
/ma "Stoneskin" <me>

Blink:
/ma "Blink" <me>

Dispel:
/ma "Dispel" <t>
/equip main "Pluto's Staff"
/equip L.ring "Zircon Ring"
/equip R.ring "Zircon Ring"
/equip neck "Black Neckerchief"

Sleep2:
/recast "Sleep II"
/ma "Sleep II" <t>

Sleep:
/recast "Sleep"
/ma "Sleep" <t>

Stone3:
/recast "Stone III"
/ma "Stone III" <t>
/equip main "Earth Staff"
/equip neck "Elemental Torque"

Chainspell:
/ja "Chainspell" <me>
from http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... 1642&num=1
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Report back on how you've done after the attempt too. We'll cheer on from the sidelines. You can do it :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:23 pm

BlackDove
RDM's the toughest Maat fight out of all the jobs, considering the enfeebling crap he gets + Asuran Fists if he gets it off. Hope you make it.

Just some extra tidbits:
Rumors

These rumors may or may not be true, rely on them at your own risk.

* Maat's stats match yours as you enter the fight, so equipping negative equipment will make him weaker.
o Fact: Maat's stats match your base stats, before equipment modifiers.
* Maat's level matches yours as you enter the fight, so going as 66-69 will deny him access to level dependant Weapon Skills (Asuran Fists) and abilities.
o Fact: Maat can use Asuran Fists at any level, the chances of him using it depends on the time left in the battle.
o Fact: Maat has access to all spells up to level 75 for the mage battles.

Job Specific Walkthroughs

All the strategies below for each job are strategies that have worked for other people. They are not the only ways to defeat the genkai, and you may try any strategy you feel may work.

It is also good to note that if you are defeated by Maat, you must obtain another testimony before facing him again.
And RDM...
A Maat Fight Strategy

Very commonly considered the hardest of all the Maat fights and for good reason. Chainspell in the hands of an enemy is never a good thing. Luck plays a big role in this fight so say your prayers before doing this. First and foremost, get the elemental staff for your highest elemental spell. It will help your nukes not get resisted. Food is very helpful in getting your INT as high as you possibly can, every last point counts. Melon Pie +1 is very good INT and MP food, but others might work as well. Everyone has their own method for entering. Enter, run to Maat and buff yourself while keeping a close eye on what spells Maat is buffing himself with. Sleep him and dispel him until all buffs are removed. If you don't land that first sleep, you'll be glad you put buffs up first before starting the battle, they will buy you time in casting your other sleep spell.. Bind Maat. Nuke Maat with your highest tier III spell, then sleep him. If he managed to get cast a buff in the time you nuke/sleep him, dispel it. While he is slept, keep your buffs up if he had a chance to hit you. The nuke/sleep/bind method is a good way to keep him at a distance so he doesn't use Asuran Fists to wipe the floor with you. When your MP is almost depleted, make sure he is slept, check your buffs one last time, Convert, use potions to get your HP back to full, Chainspell and nuke away with your best tier III spell. You do not need to get his HP to zero, he will most likely give up before then. There are other methods to defeating Maat as RDM. It is possible to beat him at 66, but very difficult. Soloing the Ruby Quadev in Qulun Dome is good practice for fighting Maat, and will get you testimonies in the process. Keep in mind, that Maat will use Chainspell. If he does, make sure he is slept, and let him sleep long enough for it to wear off. Maat does have access to all tier III spells even though you don't. Bring food, drinks, potions and elixers. Creating a macro bar just for this fight does not hurt. Do not get discouraged, keep trying. This is not an easy fight.
Oh and...

Prep yourself mentally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xdx7MTGIU&search=maat

And another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RPfD88mP0&search=maat

Good to watch through them before you actually do yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Inquisitor
Interesting video.

Whoever it was spent alot of time up front with buffs, that's supposedly counter to alot of advice (get in and sleep him before he blinks), and he spent alot of time dispelling. Seems half the battle was sleep, dispel, gravity, bind, rest. And it also seemed he wasn't using alot of macros (dispel manually cast, wtf?)

He didn't start DD'ng til 50-60% into it.

He also didn't go in with capped skills, I saw alot of skillups on enfeeb and maybe some on elemental.

It obviously all worked :)

Second vid is alot more "traditional."

Lots to study and think on, I have my macros sketched out, will be figuring it all out this week I think.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:54 pm

Pixistix
Something that stood out from BD's post:

"* Maat's level matches yours as you enter the fight, so going as 66-69 will deny him access to level dependant Weapon Skills (Asuran Fists) and abilities.

o Fact: Maat can use Asuran Fists at any level, the chances of him using it depends on the time left in the battle.
o Fact: Maat has access to all spells up to level 75 for the mage battles."

I have to wait to 70 anyway. The bard fight sucks and I'm relying on those 5 levels worth of extra hp. XP.

You spend your whole careere fighting one way, only to get to level 70 and have to pull something out that you've never really done before.

Oh skill up party in Kuftal on Friday Ari. We'll also be helping Riyu camp some goblin for a rare ex item. Wow... that sounds familiar.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:14 pm

BlackDove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iUsPVgUa_8&search=maat

A bard fight for you if you haven't seen it already, just to psych yourself up heh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Inquisitor
I may try this on Saturday. Skill up on Friday, check.

Great video finds BD.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:02 pm

Pixistix
I'll have to watch it when I get home :).

The basic idea for the bard fight is to double paeon yourself (bard's version of regen), use milk so when Matt tries to dispell you he takes the milk not your paeon, then requiem him (DoT spell) and start meleeing. The goal is to keep him busy by dispelling his buff, keep a soul voiced requiem on him as long as possible, and pray he dies before you do ><.

I'm currently talking with a PLD friend of mine about borrowing some gear. I'm going with a VIT/DEF build, because (in spite of what you may hear) bard evasion sucks => dressing me up like a NIN = dead me.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:11 pm

Inquisitor
Watch that vid, Pix. Its interesting.

I am gonna do some shopping I think tonight, look for potions, ethers and elixers, see what I can afford.

Pix also suggested an armo that has 88 Defense when you have yellow health, so I'll look there too.

The second RDM seemed to be wearing a Blue Coterie(sp?), I'll have to check on the stats for that.

Comparing the two videos, my fight seems harder than BRD's in terms of items, timing, sleeping and kiting. Easier in that I am never meleeing him :)
No signature

Re: Maat fight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:23 pm

Stracius
Inquisitor wrote:I need to have a place to collect my notes. So, I am posting a thread.
If only there were a way to more conveniently make notes and keep them organized. Some sort of.. application, yes. A text-manipulating application. I know, I'll write up a program.. something text-editing-softwarish... and I'll call it.. let see.. notes. paper.. pads of paper. Eureka! I'll call it Notepad! I'll make it widely available on a mainstream computer operating system, and everyone can benefit from its ease of use! I'm a Genius! :lol:

Hehe, sounds like a painful fight. I'll be out of town for it, though, so I won't be able to see how it turns out until I get back :( . Wish ya much luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:39 pm

Inquisitor
I am thinking the following meds:

5x Hi Potions (8-10k each)
5x Hi ethers (8-10k each)
2x Vile Elixers (90-100k each, ouch)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Pixistix
Yagudo drinks? Echo drops?

Just a couple of thoughts. Is there med for paralyze? I'm just think of things I would want going up against an enfeebler.

Vile Elixer is way expensive ><. Bleh.

I don't think you can play the RDM fight is harder than BRD, or BDR is harder than RDM. They are so vastly different. I'm going to see if I can get a jelly ring (-5% physical damage, +5% magic damage). I'm still totally undecided on what weapon to use. I'll be skilling up dagger, sword and staff... it's going to be a while before I face the old man.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Inquisitor
So, I got home today, checked my bank balance, and figured what the hell. I could afford one elixer and got my potions and ethers.

So I bought some potions and one Elixer (and got it for like 70k, so bonus, saved cash).

And then I tried it.

Only the solo avatar battles lasted less time than this.

I died. Horribly.

Couple things:

1) I got to him before he buffed. So that is defintely the way to go.

2) Since I just dinged, I was way under cap enfeeb skill. I cast sleep and sleep 2 a total of 4 times. It never stuck. I need to cap that skill (even with Torque and Dark Staff).

3) When you die, you do not go back to Jeuno, I ended up in the Mines near what I believe is the BCNM for the Bastok Dragon. So, my raise II was in Jeuno waiting for me to pop back out there. Oops.

4) The earth staff did its job. He hit hard, but not that hard. Had my sleeps stuck, I think I coulda done this.

5) According to Rochwin (who came with Destany to raise me) you do not lose exp when you die, which is not waht I thought to be the case, and I need to verify that.

I have most of my meds (pending any decision on yag drinks and echo drops, forgot those ;)) now, will have to decide if I need a second elixer. I learned some things i did not know, but burned my testimony doing it.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:04 am

BlackDove
It's a good thing you tried anyway, at least now you know what you need to do to beat him. Better than you waited and then found out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Eriyalle
I can confirm you don't lose exp when you die during the Maat fight. :) Thieves have 2 options - steal strategy and melee strategy. If going in steal strategy the theif has 2 chances to steal, but after the first chance you die and have to reraise and try again... and then win or lose you die again. I tried the steal strategy about 6 times before totally giving up on it, but yay for no exp loss!

I found it helpful to just bring a scroll of reraise with me so I could bring myself back after my failed attempts.

I also highly recommend waiting until 70 and capping out your skills then going in to fight. Medicines are wonderful, but capped skills also make a great deal of difference. My skills were capped as a 68 thief and I nailed the melee strategy on Maat but still failed because I fell short on damage. I waited 2 levels, recapped my skills, went back - nailed the strategy - and used 1/2 the meds and had a very happily glorious victory. (which reminds me I'm nearly done making the video... I need to finish that soon :smack: )

Here are more RDM Maat links for you (from members of Virtus and friends who have defeated Maat and how they did it):
Vector: http://www.virtus-asura.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482
Gideun: http://www.virtus-asura.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104

Hope this helps! I believe you can do it!

~e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Inquisitor
Heh, two opposite strategies :)

I may wait till 70, dunno, if I really don;t lose exp, I am going to try again at 66 once my skillz are capped. I really think that is what did me in.

Gonna go for some Dune Bracers soon for an extra MP and INT bump.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Eriyalle
Vector's strategy is more recent based upon some updates that were made, so I would go with his before Gid's. Gid has had his RDM at 75 for a long time now. XD

Go go Dune Bracers!!

I say try as often as you like prior to get practice. Practice makes perfect and really will help your skills improve, just be careful how much gil you dump into meds. :S

~e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:46 pm

Inquisitor
Oi yeah, the gil I spent broke me in a bad way. I didn't really have time to use any of them.

Vectors strat is like the one in that first video, take lots of time up front.

I'll work on my enfeeb skills and try at least once more as 66. Then probably wait till 69/70.

Now, I have heard conflicting things about experience loss, that you DO start to lose exp after the first fight. It sounds like you are saying that is totally incorrect, and that I should just go and try and see what happens as often as possible.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Eriyalle
I can guarantee I didn't lose any exp from my Maat fights. I fought him um... 11? *gulp* times? 6 steal - 5 melee. For the steal and all but 1 of the melee I died twice each time with a reraise in there to try again.

Now... whether or not YOU will lose exp.. *shrug* :lol:

But yea, that's how it was for me anyway, no exp loss whatsoever no matter what my level for any of my Maat fights or how many times I died in it.

~e

Return to “Final Fantasy”