Ok...Level with me...can SAM/RDM work??

Chocobo, wark!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ok...Level with me...can SAM/RDM work??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:45 pm

Janyxus
Hi everybody!

Alright...I've been playing FFXI for about 2 weeks now and I've been thinking about what kind of advanced job I want to shoot for when I get there. I've been leveling my RDM (currently 18) and I just started my sub of BLM (currently 6). I am going to use the BLM sub to help me get my RDM to 30, and then I want to unlock the Samurai quest.

So here's what I'm thinking...

I unlock SAM and start leveling it with RDM as my sub. Now I realize that this is not a sub EVER used by SAM but here's my reasoning...

With SAM you have access to crazy Weapon Skills, which make up for your lack of DOT. With RDM you can use En-spells to increase your damage, and with some STR and DEX + equipment you could actually be a decent damage dealer. With the RDM subbed you have acces to some healing, some elemental, and lots of enfeeb, plus you have a decent mana pool to cast with. I think this character woudl be a great soloist as you could WS often, have added elemental damage, plus you could heal your self, and even cast your basic enfeebs to help you take mobs.

But it's when you come to party combat I'm not sure this will work. Will parties shunn me away for playing this combo?? I just don't want to start this up and have it become impossible to level because I can't get parties.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and give me some tips on how exactly I can make this work (like equipment and such). Thanks alot guys!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:36 pm

Inquisitor
Do parties shun particular combos?

I have only been partying properly for a couple weeks, since just before Xmas, and it seems the parties (admittedly lower level parties) were very open...
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:49 pm

winbrian
Well for starters... any melee class should not sub mage class, unless you want to solo. When soloing most people sub White Mage. I really don't see anyone subbing RDM unless they are new people that just recently completed the Sub Job quest.

Mage class subbing are generally for other mages. Such as WHM/BLM, WHM/SMN, BLM/WHM, BLM/RDM, BLM/SMN, SMN/WHM.

Also another combo most people use is BRD/WHM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Inquisitor
Oi, I don;t know if I have what it takes to level ANOTHER job.

It was bad enough to get to RDM/WAR :)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:40 pm

Pixistix
Shun? Oh yeah! and they will point fingers and laugh at you! They will all laugh at you!!!

Seriously though a mage sub is a little rough when you are playing a meele class. I was running around as a THF/WHM when I was trying to lvl THF and it was the suxors (it was so bad that I still only have THF at 10 and refuse to touch it until I can sub MNK or WAR)! Here is why:

A) This is the main reason people usually don't sub mage jobs: you magic skillz are capped at half of what they would be at your current level! So you will have these really nice enfeeb spells, but because your enfeeb magic skill is so low in comparison to the monster you are fighting they won't land. When they do, they won't last as long. Your enchancing magic won't last as long. Your dark and elemental spells won't do as much damage (if any, its so sad to "Fire" a fire weak monster and do 2 dmg) etc.

B) You have half the mana pool you would at the lvl of your main job (or the same mana pool you had when you were the lvl of your sub). "Not a problem" you say "I will only have the spells I had back then and my mana pool was sufficient then!" Good point; however, think about the level of the monsters you will be fighting. If a monster hits you for 30+ points of damage in a single hit, you would have to cast "Cure" more than once. Your enfeebs won't stick as well, you will have to cast them more than once. See where I'm going with this?

Summary: In theory it's a fun idea, but in practice it's rough due to your halfed magic skills.

Recomendation:
1) Ninja :D you can meele and they get their ninja spells with can be handy and fun for the whole party.
2) Try it anyway. Jieming has been playing a MNK/BLM and does ok (he subs BLM for the agility stats which are equal to NIN).
3) Try to find people to static with. Jieming gets his fair amount of scorn, but for a while he, Sirinum and I were all lvling together and people tend to be more receptive of a strange combination if you can offer them something they want (i.e. a party with a WHM in the dunes).

Exception to the "no meele/mage": Dragoon. I've made a point to start inviting DRG/WHM and DRG/BLM to parties because they pull it off. Their magic isn't "gimped" because most of it is coming from the wevryn. As Convict will gush if you give him an opening, dragoon is the way to go if you want to hit stuff, heal and do magic damage.
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:43 am

Inquisitor
Ok, so, lets pretend i play long enough to level RDM to 37, at which point my WAR sup will be underlevelled (WAR 18 when used as a main job).

I would want to go to the dunes and party as WAR 18/ RDM 9, because I am lazy, and the thought of levelling another subjob makes me queasy.

Would you think I would be ok? Or to get any attention, should i really level MNK or something?
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:13 am

Pixistix
You could probably get a party, it just might involve some waiting (btw, if you have a higher rank it will cut down on the wait, good players look for stuff like that). From what I've heard MNK is relativly easy to lvl in the begining and is a great backup damage dealer => easy to get parties as a mnk/war. I don't know if you craft at all, but lvling a new job is a great way to "farm" for crystals. Like I said though, you should be able to find a party, just play like you are a tank and leave the enfeebing to the party RDM :)
Blarghl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:37 pm

Inquisitor
Yeah, it was a toss up for me between MNK and RDM when I picked a second job. Took them both to 4 or so.

I really like RDM, I like spells, and I like swords. It's my happy place.

Maybe I will try MNK again, I still have some gear for it, I just HATE level grinding :)

Yeah, I noticed the crystal farming capability, very handy.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Pixistix
/nod

I just started lvling bard. I forgot how much I don't like level 1-10 :P

Bard, btw, is really fun so far. I have a flute AND a sword! "Bunnies I hath seen thy DOOM, and it is Pixi :mad: MUHAHAHAHA!"

/em wishes she was at home poking bunnies with a sword as opposed to being at work.
Blarghl.

Return to “Final Fantasy”