Broken Record, FFXI

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Broken Record, FFXI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:03 am

Inquisitor
So, I have been hearing good things about the new FFXI expansion, new modes that make it possible to exp without LFG for hours and other casual friendly changes, as well as a pretty cool sounding storyline addition (a main strength IMHO of the franchise).

So after investigating, chatting, reading, I decided to give it a month.

So far, its pretty good. If I can sit down, play for an hour and leave, then I may stay subbed.

There are darn few of you out there, but, apart from Anubis and Winbrian, anyone have any interest?
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 am

SSX-Hawk
god i have so much interest its ridiculous, but unfortunately i can't join in at this time. my mom refuses to let me install anything not school-related on this computer and i can't afford the monthly charges anyhow :shake: maybe sometime late spring/early summer i'll be getting a laptop and won't be quite so broke....

i miss my DRK :(
In exile a home has been found.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
This patching process is Satan's own, only beaten by the whole concept of the Taru... But yeah, I seem to be getting quite hyped for this.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:24 pm

Inquisitor
Apparently they finally have windowed mode supported ;)

Here's what I have learned so far:

They still have all those cool XP bonus items that let you increase the rate that you chug thru the lower levels. Starting around level 50, you can expect realistic xp rewards from these new casual friendly activities, sepcifically "Campaign" which is a lower pure XP per hour than partying, but has no death penalty so it might be a wash between dying, and the sometimes really long time between parties. That, coupled with things like the last expansions Besieged, and people are going from 50-75 without stepping foot in a standard party.

Getting to 50 is still a challenge, and the game is still brutal learning curve wise on the newbies and the lower levels can still be a slog. 1-20ish aren't bad, its that 20 or 25 to 50 that proves to be a real challenge, the game both slows down and becomes more interesting at about 30.

I've tried just about everything the game has to offer, except some of hte really advanced "Sky God" fights, and I played for almost 4 years, so I had enough fun to keep playing. I left because I was capped, and wasn't interested in having another job which is whta most endgame (in alot of games) groups would have dictated.

This new story, and more casually focused play modes seem like it addresses that, at least to some degree. How much it fixes for lower levels and new people has yet to be determined.

I doubt highly that I will be interested in say, finishing CoP and doing Limbus runs on a schedule, or signing up and doing Dynamis raids every Saturday at 8am. But the Besieged and Campaign modes let me hop in, kick some ass, and hop out. And i can do it all while wearing my stylish hat ;)

I like that idea.
No signature

Return to “General Discussions”