Left 4 dead???

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Left 4 dead???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 pm

NF
Arbiter
Who's playing????? If you've not got it then you have to get it now. It rocks!
NF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Padishar
Sorry I don't bend to peer pressure.

so...

um...

its alot of fun then then?

hmm...

maybe I should...

well...

take a look see :sweat:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:26 am

Jericho78
I did had a thought on checking it out.....just worrying about puking all over my keyboard and screen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 am

Futile Resistance
I hear the AI's brutal.

I've always been psyched about the co-op aspect of it. So until a few of my RL buds get it (so we can LAN it up), I'll wait for the amazing reviews and (like Pad said) peer pressure to kick in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:33 pm

NF
Arbiter
GameStar/GamePro
My shopping list in November possibly contains the following: 1x Left 4 Dead, 1x family size package of earplugs and an jumbo-size packet of sore-throat pills. I already know: I'm going to scream again. Scream a lot. Shout, cry, bellow and cheer. From the first map on I will shout warnings to my comrades about boss-infected. I'll cry for help like a little girl whenever a hunter pounces me. I'll bellow for every successful ambush in VS. And cheer when the final shotgun-blast takes out the tank on the heliport. By the way: the earplugs are for my neighbors - because the next Left 4 Dead LAN-Party won't be over soon.

UGO.com:
Left 4 Dead is the best multiplayer game of the year.

Eurogamer: 9/10
In short, Left 4 Dead is another deeply professional, personality-filled and progressive take on the shooter from Valve. In a cultural landscape that has as many zombie touchstones as ours, it takes something special to make them shamble appealingly, and Left 4 Dead, both literally and metaphorically, makes them run. In this new co-op landscape, it'll be interesting to see whether anyone can catch up.

SnappyGamer: 5/5

PC GAMER: 9.3/10

Gaming Nexus: A-

IGN: 9.2/10

:thumb: :thumb:

@Futile: AI on normal and lower aint worth playing as its pretty much a walk in the park but.. advanced is extremely challenging and expert is just brutal. Weird thing is that the harder it is the more fun it seems to be - the satisfaction from completing it on advanced with everyone alive or sacrificing yourself on the last map on an expert campaign just so at least one person survives is intense and really rewarding.

Sorry for spamming about this game but its the only release in years that seems to not only live up to the hype surrounding it but actually exceeds expectations of it. And frankly I've been dieing for a game to get me back into online gaming as nothing has held my attention for years. Would definitely be nice to get the SSX on there in force (even if its just to find out whether our friendship ideal withstands an argument over the last medkit as the horde closes in ;) )

If anyone does pick it up you can find me in the Exiles group with the nick "Phil (NF)" so give me a nudge :)
NF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:38 pm

NF
Arbiter
Kotaku
Substance And Style: The game's deep well of replayability clinches Left 4 Dead's spot on the list of best multiplayer games of the year. It's arguably one of the best multiplayer games of all time. I'm longing to end writing this review and play some more. The game is as pretty as it is playable. Well, it's pretty in its ugliness, with dirty, dark visual effects and gorgeous, understated design. The Source engine may be getting a little long in the tooth, but Valve has tweaked it and polished it to stay graphically competitive.

1UP: A-
Simply put, every time the Director brings down a swath of Infected, who then pound me into hamburger, and every time my team and I manage to survive against incredible odds until the end, and we hoot and holler about besting the Director, I do the same thing: I jump into another lobby and wait for a match to start. I love this damn game.

GiantBomb: 4 out of 5 stars
Beyond its categorical success in establishing a vivid picture of the zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead's biggest breakthrough is the way it blurs the lines between the often compartmentalized pieces of a modern first-person shooter. It makes for a game that's unlike any other, and while the limited amount of content is admittedly unfortunate, that shouldn't keep you from experiencing this fast-paced, nerve-wracking game.

Maximum PC: 10/10

Game Informer: 9.25

:thumb:
NF

Yooo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:42 am

enlightened
That seriously has to be one of the most impressive Zombie titles to date! I've been following this game for over a month and I have to say, it doesn't look disappointing in the least.
I haven't had a chance to play it yet due to homework sadly :nervous:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Ruhn
Mhhh Ive played it for a while...but..... I dont understand why everyone is so positive about this game. the graphics are not even close to impressive...like WHERE are the limbs flying around?! the gameplay is boring and kinda repeats all the time.... just a horde coming from the left instead of the right.. wooow -.- While playing it feels like a really simple mod, with buggy graphics, sounds...and gameplay. A few games with some friends are fun but.... I got bored after an hour or 2.
Chuck Norris beat Halo 2 on Legendary using only the strafe buttons and flashlight -.-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Plovske
Ruhn wrote:Mhhh Ive played it for a while...but..... I dont understand why everyone is so positive about this game. the graphics are not even close to impressive...like WHERE are the limbs flying around?! the gameplay is boring and kinda repeats all the time.... just a horde coming from the left instead of the right.. wooow -.- While playing it feels like a really simple mod, with buggy graphics, sounds...and gameplay. A few games with some friends are fun but.... I got bored after an hour or 2.
same for me, it was fun for a bit but then it got boring pretty fast.
i did like the tank fight though!
might buy it.. maybe.. maybe not.. dunno :)
enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:05 pm

M.Steiner
I've got quite a few survival horror type games on my wishlist atm (Dead Space, SH: Homecoming, RE5) so my expectations were quite high when i briefly tried the demo of this one the other day. I didn't get long on it before i had to come off it unfortunately but from the bit i played it did leave me wondering what all the fuss was about if i'm honest, i think i'll finish the demo before i fully make my mind up though.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Ah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:59 am

enlightened
Hmmm I'm surprised you guys didn't like it that much ? :eek:
I guess it needed a bit more of the multiplayer element (Perhaps player controlled zombie hordes). Even though the AI could be brutal, I do believe it would've been much more fun to play had all the zombies been player controlled. Now that would be really interesting and intense haha :p

Re: Ah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:06 am

Futile Resistance
enlightened wrote:Now that would be really interesting and intense haha :p
Having played 6 different Counter Strike Zombie Mods throughout the years, I can tell you it's NOT enjoyable when all zombies are player controlled as eventually the round will boil down to a stalemate of "let's out-camp the other person".

Granted, it might work for L4D due to its proper "professional" level design.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 am

undrin
Well just got the game with a few others in SSX and we are enjoying it quite a bit. Though it is only our first few hours of playing it right now. Can't wait to get the hang of it and play it live against others.
Xbox One: Auravil come and visit sometime!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:05 am

Inquisitor
Have it on Xbox, its pretty sweet.
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 am

undrin
Inquisitor wrote:Have it on Xbox, its pretty sweet.
Sorry forgot to mention that I have it for PC since I do not have Xbox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Inquisitor
Yeah, I figured ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 pm

undrin
Ok if anyone is still playing the PC version we are looking for a few more to join us in vent and kick some @##

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:12 am

Fenavian
Yeah, I am playing it on the 'box' as well. ;p To use a quote from Ed, "its a hoot!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Indigo64
I have it on the Pee Cee. "Opterongeek" is my Steam ID if you wanna add me for some gamin fun. I get together with some buddies every other evening to rip things apart. :)

Return to “General Discussions”