The Pacific

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: The Pacific

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

BlackDove
Sweet peantbutter cracker.

How do you breathe?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Messiah
BlackDove wrote:So, the first episode aired.

How was it?
I really enjoyed it. Best programming I have seen this year.

It is not Band of Brothers, and that is not to say it is inferior. It is striking artistically - much brighter and more vivid than BoB, a real treat to watch on the 48" LCD. The story follows three men so far, rather than an entire company. Not sure if their stories will converge or cross. Hanks narrates the episode which includes geotactical explanations for the first major American offensive in the Pacific. I've read some critiques stating that episode 1 was a slow start compared to BoB. I didn't get that feeling. We get the brief background pieces on the main characters, several scenes transporting us to Guadalcanal, and then the beginning of the conflict there. There was plenty of action, I thought, and it was very well done.

You can watch the first episode at HBO.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 am

Rock-n-Roll
Messiah wrote:
BlackDove wrote:So, the first episode aired.

How was it?
I really enjoyed it. Best programming I have seen this year.

It is not Band of Brothers, and that is not to say it is inferior. It is striking artistically - much brighter and more vivid than BoB, a real treat to watch on the 48" LCD. The story follows three men so far, rather than an entire company. Not sure if their stories will converge or cross. Hanks narrates the episode which includes geotactical explanations for the first major American offensive in the Pacific. I've read some critiques stating that episode 1 was a slow start compared to BoB. I didn't get that feeling. We get the brief background pieces on the main characters, several scenes transporting us to Guadalcanal, and then the beginning of the conflict there. There was plenty of action, I thought, and it was very well done.

You can watch the first episode at HBO.
I can understand why some thought it was slow, especially since I think alot of people are expecting Band of Brothers: PTO.

I actually think the pace illustrated something many might not know and that's that not every battle was started with a Normany-esque beach assault. The first episode was more about the tension that built while working through the jungle for the first time and then running into a foe the like of which none of those soldiers could imagine.

Return to “General Discussions”