Online Gaming Bargains

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: today on Steam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:Dunno about today, but I recently bought The Witcher 2 after anni's major fanboi'ism :D

for less than 7€ on steam... as said, dunno if the deal is still active
Great call! :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

M.Steiner
So the long awaited Summer Sale should be almost here guys. They always seem to start on a Thursday so going by that it could be either the 4th, 11th, 18th or 25th. I'm betting this week.

I've already bought Fahrenheit from GOG's sale (not available on Steam anymore) and a Steam key for RE6 from one of GMG's 6hr deals yesterday but that's about it for now.
Which games are you guys looking to get during the Steam sales?

I'm hoping they'll have a good deal on the new DmC game myself. Didn't buy it at launch but it's something I wouldn't mind playing at some point. It's 30 quid on there atm which is already a tenner more than it would cost to buy a physical copy so if it doesn't come down significantly I probably won't bother just yet, but if they have a nice enough discount applied I'll grab that.

Gunpoint is another. That hasn't been out for very long so I'm not expecting much of a discount on it to be fair (plus it's only £6.99 to start with), but it's something I've heard a lot of good things about since it was released. Will buy that for sure.

and then there's the Deponia adventure games.

Those are the main ones I'll be looking out for methinks but I may grab some others if there's anything else of interest and which is going super cheap!. I still have a backlog from the Christmas sales too so not looking at too many hehe.
How about the rest of you? :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 pm

SL33PY
I haven't really thought about it. So I'll just be checking the deals regularly, and pick something up when it's outrageously cheap :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 pm

SL33PY
today's action is bully for 2,5€ so i bought it :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

M.Steiner
Got DmC from the last round of GMG deals a few hours ago for £12. Don't expect it will be any cheaper from Steam but I thought that was a pretty good deal :)
(Bought TWD 400 Days as well but that was just released today, no sale.)

Fingers crossed for the sale tomorrow night. Deals will go up around 6pm BST if they're going to I think :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Thunderbird
I'm seeing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition for $5 on the US store (ends tomorrow at 4PDT).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 am

SL33PY
yeah, saw it too and i snagged it, then I downloaded it at 13.5MB/s ... :D :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 pm

M.Steiner
Final Fantasy VII now available on steam!
Already bought this when it released on the SE store but it is the best FF (imo) and my fav game of all time too... May just double-dip and get it for my steam account heh.
You can get it a tiny bit cheaper from GMG with "GMG10-VTTCS-VYH18" :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm

SL33PY
no love for FF :(

did some ff way back when, but the genre just doesn't appeal to me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
How does it look bug-wise? I read that the original release via the Square Enix store was fairly buggy, and actually inferior to emulating it :( I'll buy a copy if the bugs situation has been resolved.

This does mean that FF8 will probably be heading to Steam though, which is great news.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 pm

M.Steiner
hmm can't say I remember reading about any big bug issues tbh with you mate. I watched a couple of streams for several hours back when that released as well and I can't remember anything jumping out at me either really, other than the midi music which you can easily replace with this which is what I'll be doing.
Will let you know if I see or hear anything though :)

Also:
http://steamdb.info/app/39150/
http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamUserS ... meid=39150
Yes it does. Will have to buy that as well lol :D

No summer sale today by the looks of it. The 11th then?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:25 am

M.Steiner
I have missed you <3

Wasn't going to start it yet but I just couldn't resist. Has been too many years since I last played this, 5+ at the very least. So long ago I don't exactly remember when it last was heh. Needless to say a replay has been lonnnnng overdue.
and I am in heaven right now. Can't wait until they get FFVIII on steam as well! Oh god yes.

Don't know where you read about the bugs, Anny, or what they were supposed to be exactly but I've been playing for nearly 3hrs now [Edit: Make that just under 7] and haven't noticed any. Swapped the music over which is a piece of piss and only takes a mo, I'm even playing with my 360 pad which (other than pressing my keyboard "x" on the main menu), worked straight outta the box.
Ahh the nostalgia, and dat music!. So fkin' good :D
/me goes back in

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:12 pm

SSX-Andy
Never played FFVII, or any other FF game.

Picked it up on Steam. Sure feels good to be able to experience it like it was brand new.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:22 pm

M.Steiner
Noticed you had bought it! ^^

One small tip for ya, Andy. Download this.
Then replace the music files in "Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VII/data/music_ogg" with the ones you've just downloaded. Only takes a sec and you can compare a few tracks side by side before if you're unsure but I'd highly recommend it. This just replaces the PC midi music with the PS1s which sounds much, much better, imo. By far one of the best video game soundtracks there is too :thumb:

What I'd do to go back and experience this for the very first time again heh.
Enjoy the game dude, you're in for a treat ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Thunderbird
I remember FF7 PC had issues on pretty much every NT based OS (would crash within moments of actually starting play). I'm assuming these issues have been dealt with.

One question remains for me...is it still full screen only? I don't really play anything that forces full screen anymore :p.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:44 pm

M.Steiner
There's a full screen checkbox in the launcher settings which you can untick to have it run in a window but it doesn't seem to be full screen windowed or whatever you call it, where you can still see your taskbar at the bottom. You could get around that by running the game in a lower resolution than what your desktop is set to though. Have only been using full screen myself :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm

M.Steiner
Oh btw, it'll let you remap the gamepad controls as well which is handy. That is all except for the left and right triggers which it won't recognise, though that is not unique to the game. You can probably use Xpadder or something to remap those if you really want them but it's no issue really.

For future reference - If any of you want to remap the controls with a 360 pad to how they were on the PS1 you can use these:

OK = B (Button 2)
CANCEL = A (Button 1)
MENU = Y (Button 4)
START = Start (Button 8)
SWITCH = X (Button 3)
PAGE UP = LB (Button 5)
PAGE DOWN = RB (Button 6)
TARGET = R.Thumb (Button 10)
ASSIST = Back (Button 7)
CAMERA = L.Thumb (Button 9)

Those should be the same as the default gamepad controls on the PS1 pretty much and are much more comfortable than what they are set as by default on the PC. The only difference being Target and Camera which use the right and left thumb sticks instead of the right and left triggers (they were R2/L2 on PS). The rest should be in the same positions I think - "Ok" was "O" for example which is "B" on the 360 pad, "Cancel" was "X" etc.

Played another 9hours, still no issues and loving every minute :)
Just reached the Gold Saucer (!!). I used to spend so many hours in that place lol. Probably one of my most memorable locations in any game tbh.
Saved and came off just as I got the buggy ^^
^ I know the game has been out for 16 years but we have at least 2 people here who have never played the game before, Andy being 1 who has just bought it too. Don't wish to spoil anything hehe.

Will play more later...
Oh and Steam need to add this to the list of supported trading card games. I want me a FFVII background for my profile xD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Rock-n-Roll
I just pop my old PS1 disks into my PS3 and it works so no need for this stuff ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Rock-n-Roll wrote:I just pop my old PS1 disks into my PS3 and it works so no need for this stuff ;)
Envious :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:20 am

SL33PY
Rock-n-Roll wrote:I just pop my old PS1 disks into my PS3 and it works so no need for this stuff ;)
me too... I only did it once tough
Anubis wrote:Envious :(
I might sell mine to you when the ps4 arrives, it's an original working 60Gb fat PS3 with card reader and 4 usb ports (and a ps2 build in for backward compat)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:38 am

M.Steiner
I actually bought it (FFVII) on the PSN a while back as well so technically I could play it on my PS3 too really. My PS1/2 games are all boxed up in a cupboard though so if I went digging for those I might as well get the console(s) for them out too as they're all in the same box lol. Besides, tis very nice to have a legal copy of my fav game on my main platform with achievements to boot :)
Looks highly likely that we're going to see a release of FFVIII on Steam as well at some point so I doubt I'll be doing any double dipping of that one and just wait for the PC re-release, but I will probably buy FFIX for the PSN at some point. I don't have my disks for that one anymore either.

Also the Steam Summer Sale should be starting tomorrow it seems. Their midweek madness deals always end at 4pm Pacific on a Thursday, this weeks ends at 10am instead. That's when the Summer Sale will begin I think. That pretty much confirms it for me so check back tomorrow and see, that's 6pm UK time for me which is also the time when they update the daily deals :thumb:

As always:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 am

M.Steiner
Day 1: Bought the Borderlands 2 DLC whilst it's a community choice deal for when I come to replay it. Nice deal that. I was hoping Dishonored would win that vote for those of you looking to buy it on IRC but hang in there, I'd say Dishonored becoming a daily/flash/community deal at some point during this sale is a safe bet. Only a matter of time, and ofc I'd highly recommend that to anyone else who has yet to play it. Amazing :)

Deponia & Chaos of Deponia are already 75% off (£3.99) it seems so I'm thinking they probably won't go cheaper than that. I'll wait and see though just incase but I'll definitely get them at that price if not, or may even get the Daedalic Bundle instead. ~ Have any of you played their adventure games? The bundle is £15.24. Fantastic saving there but are the other games worth it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:00 pm

M.Steiner
Decided to just jump on the bundle since I've had my eye on some of them for a while now.
If you've never looked at them before, these adventure games have some really lovely artwork (spoiler tagging for space):
Deponia

Chaos on Deponia

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

A New Beginning - Final Cut

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Link to the bundle here if anyone else wants to give them a try. £15.24 for all 5 at 75% off, it usually costs £60.99 (or $19.99 down from $79.99).
The Whispered World isn't part of the bundle unfortunately but I may buy that one separately at some point.
Hopefully they will be good :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
That bundle looks appealing. Thanks for the link :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 am

SL33PY
got far cry 3 on steam summer deal for €17,99 great value for money!

Return to “General Discussions”