Online Gaming Bargains

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: today on Steam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 pm

M.Steiner
Hope everyone picked Dishonored up who didn't own it already?. That is totally worth full retail price so you can't really go wrong for a fiver. That being said I would highly recommend buying The Knife of Dunwall DLC for it which is only a couple of quid extra whilst it's on sale. You don't need to bother with the others (Void Walker Arsenal & Dunwall City Trials) but the Knife of Dunwall is the first of 2 story focused DLCs which you'd probably want to grab. I said at the time of playing it but that's definitely one of the best pieces of DLC I've ever bought and played. Shame all DLC isn't like that :) [Part 2 will release next month - Aug 13th.]
Great to see it sitting as the current #1 top seller too.

Also, just finished my replay of FFVII last night.
Having not played it in such an incredibly long time that gap actually worked to my benefit for the most part. Ofc I could remember the wonderful soundtrack quite clearly, one of those games where you can pretty much remember each and every track the second you hear the first chord play, and other than a couple of the other FF game soundtracks and Akira Yamaoka's work on the Silent Hill games there aren't many I'd hold as high as this one personally. But as far as events in the story, sidequests, secrets, chocobo raising etc I had forgotten an awful lot of it tbh, enough so that part of the game actually felt fresh to me again. Something I hadn't experienced with it for a long time either as I always used to play it often enough that I knew how to acquire stuff, when the best time to do certain sidequests was etc like the back of my hand. Also with the addition of steam achievements those encouraged me to get the most out of the game again like I used to. Speaking of which. Anny, here is your challenge!:
Got everything but Great Gospel & Materia Overlord in my 12 day playthrough. The first one will have to be left for my next replay for obvious reasons, plus I only kept 2 save files at the end of the game so I can't reload any to go level her limit breaks up unfortunately. The second may be possible with one of my saves as long as I haven't missed any materia which is now unobtainable but that is going to be an awful long grind I think, even when using the same mobs I was using to level my characters up. Would quite like to have 36/36 for FFVII though so I may have a shot at that at some point but not right now.
On the subject of bugs btw now that I have finished the game. There are only 2 which jump out at me.
The first one being my screen went completely black a couple of times when entering battles (but could still hear the music) in the Ancient Forest. I had been alt-tabbing quite a bit at the time and I may have had a scan running in the background too so I'm not sure if they triggered it or not or whether this is an old bug. Have read about black screens before but I'm not sure if they were the same issue or not but for that one I had to reload the game each time but it only happened maybe 3 times in total.
The second one was a save glitch in the Northern Crater. I don't recall this from when I've played before but after a google search this is something which has been around for years. - I entered the crater as normal with one of my saves, ploppled the save crystal down in the area where your group splits up, leveled up inside and saved, then exited the crater to go and kill the weapons etc. Once I'd done with all that stuff I went back inside to master some materia to sell and complete the game. However, once I'd gone back inside and climbed down the wall in the room where I had placed the save crystal earlier it would not let me climb back up again to go sell stuff. I then had to use my other save file to unlock that last achievement. But yeah, this (might be rare?) glitch has been around for years and is not unique to the re-release it seems. Other than those 2 incidents I played through the entire game without any issues :)

Has been so great to experience the game like that again anyway and have loved every minute of it. Now to wait for the steam release of FFVIII and FFX-HD on PS3! :D
Also fingers crossed that Valve add some trading cards for this too as I want a FFVII background xD

Oh one funny thing. Linked this on IRC last night but I'd literally just completed the game and come off it for the night when the first site I visited was Qwertee who were selling this:
No Cid or Yuffie which is a shame but this was a nice surprise, I think they saw me coming haha. (Tis still available if any of you FFVII fans want one btw)

Back to the Steam sale.. Think I may get Reus later. There has already been some very good deals so far imo but I already own a lot of the ones I'd want heh.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is worth picking up for £3.74 too btw, I have a boxed copy of that :)

Will see what tonight brings..
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Speaking of which. Anny, here is your challenge!:
Damn you, this is going to take me months lol. I'll get Great Gospel and beat you though, don't worry :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:44 pm

M.Steiner
haha. Only if you manage to get all of the others I achieved as well ofc. Then you'll be one ahead ;D
Once I've finished playing DmC I may jump back in and make a list of the materia I've already mastered and see how much I have left to tick off. If I have tons left I probably won't bother yet but if it looks doable I may go back and do those before I start another game. I'm guessing it will be the former but I'll see hehe.
You're probably going to kick my arse at FFVIII when we get that on steam as well though so I'll be reading a few guides for that when the time comes I think lol. Still my second favourite of the series and I try to get the most out of most games whatever they are but the only one I was ever a mad completionist over was 7. 8 will probably be an even better experience for me again on replay because of that as I'll try to do everything this time around and some of it for the first time nodoubt.

Decided to get Reus from the steam sale. Not sure what it'll be like but looked quite interesting I thought :)
Still waiting to see if any of these get better deals:
Gunpoint
The Whispered World
Incredipede
The Blackwell Bundle
Primordia
Maybe a few others (and anything I hadn't planned too if they take my fancy) but mainly those. Gunpoint & Primordia were featured in a community vote but lost to other games unfortunately. Hoping at least Gunpoint will return for a second chance or be put up as a flash or daily. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 pm

M.Steiner
I'm not a facebook user but for those of you who are - You can get a free steam copy of Anomaly: Warzone Earth over here.
Syn'n has just grabbed one so it definitely works :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 pm

SL33PY
finished far cry 3 yesterday eve, got me max payne 3 for 7.5€ to keep me busy :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

M.Steiner
Really enjoyed both of those games, 2 good picks there I'd say!

So, from the sales I picked up:

Fahrenheit (GOG)
DmC: Devil May Cry (GMG Steam Key)
Resident Evil 6 (GMG Steam Key)
Borderlands 2 DLC
Daedalic Bundle
System Shock 2
Reus
Dishonored - Void Walker's Arsenal DLC
Gunpoint
Euro Truck Simulator 2
The Bridge
Fallout Collection
The Whispered World
Papo & Yo
Incredipede

I've still got £4 GMG credit to spend from pre-purchasing The Raven too so I'll be getting myself another couple of free indie games with that! :)
As far as the daily/flash/community deals went they could have had a better selection I think. Don't get me wrong, there were still some really good deals in there.. I just owned most of them already lol. Also far too many repeats imo. Repeating once is good as it gives people a second chance to jump on them if they missed them the first time or have since changed their minds but when you keep seeing the same ones every other day almost it's just getting bloody silly. They could have made room for some other titles there.
That being said I'm more than happy with what I got from the sales and I basically got most of what I was hoping to get anyway, plus a few others I hadn't planned on buying. I already have a backlog of games to play from previous sales too so these will take me a while to get through hehe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:47 am

SL33PY
There is a problem with Max Payne 3 though. Apparently steam doesn't have enough keys, so I can start the game, but I can't register it with Rock* Social Club, hence, no play because I can't activate. Same thing happened with the sale in December last year. You'd think that selling off a triple-A game on a certain platform would be tested and bulletproof, especially with such draconian DRM scheme's, alas, it has proven not to be the case.

I hope I can start it soon, I finished Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3 Ending Spoiler Alert:
I let my friends live, found it silly to kill em off after I've put so much effort in rescuing them
PS
Maybe we should rename this thread to "Online Game Deals" since it's no longer Steam exclusive

Re: today on Steam (and other online gaming deals)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 pm

M.Steiner
There we go :)

One thing that I was a little disappointed about with FC3 was that
Vaas was killed off a bit too soon for my liking. He was such an awesome bad guy (definitely one of the best imo) and I would have liked to have seen a bit more from him and just play a bigger part in general really. The promotional material & boxart before the game was released all made him out to be the main antagonist too and whilst he may have featured a lot more than Hoyt, he was below him and it was ultimately Hoyt who was the main and last one you were after. Kinda wish Vaas had made it through a little further than he did..
Both that and the fact that your group spends so long working to fix that boat up when there are patrol boats all over the place heh.

(and yep I made the same decision at the end of the game too)
Still a great game though all being said!

Also how annoying :/. I know my brother had some issues with R* Social Club saying it was offline and stuff but that was the multiplayer and issues with ports I think. I could never figure out how to fix that but I didn't have any probs getting into SP thankfully. Hopefully it won't be long before you can jump in and play.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 am

SL33PY
I'm so frustrated with R* support, been tweeting with them for the best part of yesterday evening, and they just kept on trying to blame my end for their incompetence. I can run any game platform be it Origin, Uplay or Steam not a single problem, I even got connected to Sim City in the early days, which was a small miracle.

I can connect to their damned R* Social Club from within the game and I still have a connection (also to https which goes over port 443). Activating Max Payne however is impossible. Then that silly R* Support rep goes on and on and on about my router settings and that I should plug in my Ethernet cable directly into blablablablabla

I tried reasoning with the person, but to no avail. I also suggested I just friggin mail them my game key so they can bind it to my account. Explaining them that a member should be able to activate a game from within their web site didn't register either!

After hours of tweeting, no solution, evening passed no game played, I have never gone trough such a hell. R* really failed me here.

I can connect to the social club from within the game, seems to me I can reach their end as good as any, i also hope their account verification process goes over https... so why that a-hole kept asking if my port 443 was open is beyond me. For some reason their activation server is unreachable and that is unacceptable for a game that has been released as long as max payne 3 has.

Currently I'm really regretting this purchase and I'm evaluating to even get GTA V or just skip it all together

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 am

M.Steiner
Damn, R* Social Club can be such a pain in the arse sometimes. Sucks that you're having such a hard time with it.
This seems all too familar to the problems my brother was having with multiplayer too unfortunately, though as far as I'm aware he didn't have any issues actually activating the thing. We never bothered contacting them about that as I figured the problem was our end too but even after having a fiddle with our router I wasn't sure how to get it to work for him. I hope to God that if/when GTAV eventually releases for PC they don't include that shit in the PC release again. I suppose this is one good thing about the console versions.
It may not be of any help since I already activated my game back when it was released but I'm going to reinstall my physical copy of it and see if I run into any problems. If I do I'll see if I can find a way to fix it on my end which may be of some help to you as well perhaps. Might not be but I can try for nothing.

[Edit1: I'm getting "You need to be connected to the internet and signed into an online Social Club account to activate Max Payne 3" on the main menu even though I've just tried to sign in and I AM connected to the internet it thinks I'm offline.
Edit2: Hmm got it working. When I tried to log in before I just clicked the icon for my profile (under "profiles found") since it was already there with my account details set to remember but doing that seemed to leave me with the above message. Just reloaded the game but instead of clicking the profile image I entered my account details manually. That prompted the activation message, my key was already written in the box from last time so I hit ok, key was accepted and I'm now sitting at the main menu. When I try to log in by just selecting my profile now (rather than re-entering my details) it loads up online just fine by the looks of it.]

Also I'm not sure if this is for the exact same problem you're having or if you've tried this already but:
-Copy your MP3 folder from steamapps\common to steamapps\<your steam username folder>
-Then launch MaxPayne.exe (as administrator) from within that folder and see what happens.

Also try deleting your profile from the Social club folder.

Worth a try if you haven't already :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 am

SL33PY
tried the copy trick.. didn't work, i'll see if i can delete my profile and then reload it later today.

I get to sign in without any troubles, I too get the activation page (check my steam screenshots for max payne for the actual error)

it's something like "unable to contact activation server"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 pm

M.Steiner
I see you're able to play now going from steam. Good to see you got it working :)
What was the fix btw? or did it just decide to play ball for you today?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:36 am

SL33PY
I'm not sure if it's decided to play ball, R* support adding the key manually or me using my strong vpn connection. When connected trough strongVPN it decided to let me enter and play a bit.

Max Payne as always is the game where you root for the protagonist, while knowing very well... it never goes his way and shit always gets real... Got me into chapter VI or VII, not sure how many chapters there are. I hope about 20 because at this speed i'll have it finished today or tomorrow :eek:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:57 pm

SL33PY
finished max payne 3 yesterday.. too short :s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:finished max payne 3 yesterday.. too short :s
That's a trait with the series. Max Payne 2 is one of the best story games I've ever played, but it was criminally short.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 pm

M.Steiner
aye, all 3 games are rather short tbh so that's nothing new. MP3 probably being the longest I'd say.
Fun game though imo and I loved what they did with the cutscene integration. How they basically replaced the loading screens and then seamlessly blended themselves into the gameplay. A tad annoying on replay when you were wanting to skip through them I'll admit but beautifully done all the same. Superb combat/movement animations with the different weapons too. Hopefully GTAV's combat will be as satisfying ^^

--
GMG have a sweet deal on this week btw peeps. If you pre-purchase one of the games in their selection you get a choice of either cashback (to your bank within a few days) or GMG store credit added to your account instantly.
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is one of the deals which offers $12 / £7 / €11 GMG Credit and Batman: Arkham Origins being another for $12 / £10 / €12 credit. Quite a few more to pick from too.
Pretty sweet really. ~ More here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Kon
Crusader Kings II is the daily deal today at $10 (75% off), and it's the first discount on the latest and largest expansion, The Old Gods ($3.74). I know there are some Paradox fans here. CK2 is much more streamlined than the sprawling spreadsheets of Hearts of Iron or Victoria, but not at the loss of depth. It's also a much more human game, since you're not really playing as any nation or civilization, but rather trying to keep your dynasty going. It's fairly unique in that regard, as well. I would recommend picking up the base game and whichever major expansion strikes your fancy.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm

M.Steiner
Syn'n posted this on steam yesterday; Humble Deep Silver Bundle.
I didn't own any of the DLC for SR3 so I grabbed it mainly for that. Can get the DLC plus everything else in the bundle (excluding Riptide) for as little as $4.92, a pittance basically. Or like always you can pay as much as you want to. Fantastic deal :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 pm

Ozone
You may never need another game. Quakecon pack - $90

Quake III Arena, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Ultimate Doom, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen: Beyond Heretic, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, DOOM 3, HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Quake IV, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition, Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth, Rogue Warrior, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe, Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, Fallout: New Vegas, RAGE, Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money, Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts, Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues , The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas®: Lonesome Road™, Fallout New Vegas®: Gun Runners’ Arsenal™, Dishonored, Doom 3: BFG Edition, Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials, Dishonored - The Knife of Dunwall, Rage: The Scorchers™, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire, Dishonored - Void Walker Arsenal, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:51 am

M.Steiner
I'm sure most of you have already seen the latest Humble Bundle and perhaps already bought one for yourselves but I have some spare keys from it if anyone is interested?
I already own every title but The Sims 3 in some shape or form, that being either physical, steam or on origin. However I decided to grab a bundle for the Sims 3 pack and to add the games I was missing from each of the digital platforms to my accounts. I do have several keys left over though. Those are:

Battlefield 3 (Origin)
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Origin)
Dead Space (Steam)
Dead Space 3 (Origin)
Medal of Honor (Origin)
Mirror's Edge (Steam)[/strike]
Thomas Was Alone (Steam) [From the Indie bundle]

Would anyone like any of these? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:58 am

Kon
I got the bundle as well, and will be happy to give out my BF3 key to anyone here who wants it.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 pm

Whizbang
As with the other guys, I also snatched up the Humble Bundle and have some keys to hand out:

Dead Space (Origin)
Mirror's Edge (Origin)
BF3 (Origin)

Send me a PM if you are interested in any.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:04 pm

M.Steiner
Who here still hasn't bought the (current) GOTY, BioShock Infinite?

Tis currently on sale over on GMG right now. Use "GMG20-KCDKK-H4TPB" at checkout.
Just £12 / $16

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/p ... -infinite/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p ... finite-na/

Not sure when the deal ends but that's a great price for an amazing game. Grab it if you didn't already do so during the steam sale! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:29 pm

M.Steiner
SEGA Retro Bundle deal on GMG.

I grew up with a Megadrive so this is kinda sweet:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Soldier
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Bonanza Bros.
Columns III
Colums
Comix Zone
Crack Down
Crazy Taxi
Decap Attack
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco Jr.
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Eternal Champions
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Galaxy Force II
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Gunstar Heroes
Jet Set Radio
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
Light Crusader
NiGHTS into DREAMS
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
SEGA Bass Fishing
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Shinobi III
Space Channel 5 Part 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Use "GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN" at checkout and get all the above for £11.49 :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Wow, that's one hell of a pack!

Return to “General Discussions”