History of Volition

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

History of Volition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:59 pm

BlackDove

Re: History of Volition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Ash
Thanks for that BD,
extremely interesting.

Must admit that when the Freespace Music kicks in during the second section
I just thought 'still awesome'.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 am

Kon
I watched the second part. It was awesome. I'll probably watch the rest later. The eternal optimist in me wants to believe that when they said they think joysticks will come back eventually, it means they still have Freespace 3 floating somewhere in the back of their mind.

But really, the devs seemed to have a lot of good things to say about the game. It seems they look back on it almost as fondly as the community does. A real shame Interplay rushed it, when all it ended up doing was tanking sales.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Indigo64
I apologize for the slight necroposting, I came across a link online and immediately thought of SSX - I also searched the forums and it seems no one here has seen it, or at least mentioned it in a thread.

http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/news/5142/vo ... reespace-3

This may not be news to you guys, but I was holding out for FS3 for so long, I got tired of waiting for something to happen, so I pushed it out of my mind until I found that whole "History of Volition" thing.

to think, I started this journey today by listening to the Descent 2 soundtrack on my Subsonic server. :cool:

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I haven't seen that exact report, but I have seen others about the same issue. Hopefully, one day they'll get to make that game - but it all depends on THQ really, and space sims are far from being seen as profitable.

I must admit, a lot of my hope evaporated when Kulas stepped down recently. Him being President meant he had a much louder voice to petition on the issue. Whether or not his replacement is just as passionate about Freespace I do not know, but I find it hard to believe that he would carry the same weight.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Indigo64
Indeed. Maybe this many years since the last game though with the hype and support of social media, support can be drummed up in ways they didn't think of back in FS/FS2 days. It's entirely possible. THAT being said, I agree with you that support is an issue, but somehow, part of me is much happier knowing that Volition shares our enthusiasm as a user base.

I feel better knowing that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 am

Kon
Thanks for the article! I wouldn't mind seeing some space sims on consoles, as I agree there is a lot of potential there. Though, obviously, I'd prefer to play on the PC with my big old joystick. ;)

And while we all shove FS out of our minds, you simply can't stop it from creeping up now and then. Just earlier today I was listening to some of the FS1 music while we discussed PXO on IRC. I really need to reinstall now.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

Return to “General Discussions”