Batman: Arkham City

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Batman: Arkham City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm curious to see how many of us are going to pick this up, considering how big a hit Arkham Asylum was with many of us. I know that a few of us (myself included) are waiting for the delayed PC version, but considering the console version released today I thought it might be a good time to ask the question :)

There are quite a few big releases coming up in the next few weeks (I think Battlefield 3 being one, and I know a few people have been waiting for that for a while), so with that in mind who is intending to get Arkham City and when are you intending to play it? Also curious to see how it ranks on people's lists!

In my case, I've just pre-ordered the PC version today and will be dropping everything for it the day that it arrives. Arkham Asylum was probebly the best new game I've played in years, and I fully intend to make the most of this delicious sequel asap :D

Comments are also welcome from any who have picked up the game! Keep spoilers in the tags though please, lest I fly into an enraged state due to being spoiled :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Batman: Arkham City

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:59 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:There are quite a few big releases coming up in the next few weeks (I think Battlefield 3 being one, and I know a few people have been waiting for that for a while), so with that in mind who is intending to get Arkham City and when are you intending to play it? Also curious to see how it ranks on people's lists!
Yep, BF3 is next Friday :D

Pre-ordered Arkham City for PC yesterday so I should be playing that from release day (Nov 18th). Oct-Dec releases are pretty crazy so I've been trying to be selective over which I buy first, will get the rest after Christmas.

October 28th - Battlefield 3 <- Pre-ordered.
November 11th - L.A. Noire PC
November 11th - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
November 18th - Batman: Arkham City <- Pre-ordered.
November 18th - Anno 2070
November 18th - Saints Row The Third <- Pre-ordered.
December (read as 2012) - Assassins Creed: Revelations
December - Firefall (F2P)
December 20th - Star Wars: The Old Republic <- Pre-ordered.

I would have pre-ordered Rocksmith too but due to legal shit they're not releasing that in Europe this year, just the US :<

TOR and BF3 were my two must buys. Putting aside my excitement for actually playing with people here again, TOR and BF3 were no brainers as I'll be playing both of those for a long time to come and will get more than my money's worth. I'm not gonna get that with most of the other games on the list. Some of which I'll have completed within days of release so those two had to come before the SP games.
SR3 I pre-ordered partly due to it having co-op which would add to the length.
Arkham is the only SP only game I've decided to pre-order. Was going to wait but seeing the reviews, vids and bloody adverts on tv has been too tempting to sit back and watch as everyone else plays it lol. I'll already be playing BF3 mp by then and SR3 releases on the same day but I'll be playing this as soon as my copy arrives. Asylum was an awesome game but it was also very short. With so many games releasing this was the main reason why I hadn't pre-ordered Arkham City sooner as I know I'll have finished it within a few days.
So yeah, I'd rank them TOR > BF3 > SR3 > Arkham for my pre-order importance for that reason. Hopefully none of those will disappoint. I don't think they will anyway :D

-L.A. Noire PC can wait as I already own and have completed the 360 version. Will upgrade to PC next year.
-Skyrim.. Not sure I'll want to get bogged down with a SP RPG so soon after BF3's release and with TOR releasing soon after it. Will prolly play later on when I can give it the time it deserves.
-AC:R PC will most likely get delayed again so I haven't given that one much thought tbh. If the release was a 100% certainty I'd probably pre-order this instead of SR3.
-Firefall I'm not completely sold on. Some gameplay vids have come across better than others and has not always left me feeling impressed but I will give it a try at some point. As a multiplayer title it's no competition for my time compared to BF3 or TOR so this'll only be casually most likely, even if it is free to play.
-Annnd Anno 2070 will just have to wait too, Anno 1404 was one of my favourite sim/rts games so I'm eager to see how this one will turn out but I want to play some of the other titles more.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:08 pm

suggz
Picked Batman up for PS3, and must say it is a blast.
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Surprised no-one else has picked this up, unless everyone is waiting for the PC version? Have to say it's the game I'm by far most stoked for from the upcoming 6 months.

suggz, having played it how does it compare to Arkham Asylum for you? Have read a lot about how reviewers are considering it better, but I'd value personal experience that much more :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:00 am

SL33PY
i'm going to wait for the goty edition, something that i'll be doing more often now. There's too many good games to play. GOTY ed will probable get a nice steam cut during the 2012 holiday season

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Slacker
I will own the game, but when it is most likely for $20. I have far too many games to complete as it is now. Why buy one game for $60 when I get 3 games for $20? :)
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Slacker wrote:I will own the game, but when it is most likely for $20. I have far too many games to complete as it is now. Why buy one game for $60 when I get 3 games for $20? :)
Because that one is better than those three put together? :p

Seriously though, not surprised you're going to be waiting haha!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Slacker
Anubis wrote:Because that one is better than those three put together? :p

Seriously though, not surprised you're going to be waiting haha!
No, no shock there I imagine! Remember this though... not too long ago was another game I got from the $20 bin... Brutal Legend I think was the name... :p :p :p
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:28 pm

M.Steiner
Looks like that link I gave you on IRC was right Anny, delayed again but just for the US. - Nov 22nd for US and 25th for EU :(
Think I'll be playing Saints Row the Third before Arkham then since I'll have that on the 18th. Don't fancy waiting another week for this when I'll have SR sitting on my desk already.

http://www.destructoid.com/batman-arkha ... 5424.phtml

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not happy. Though until I get confirmation from Amazon I'll still be expecting my copy on the 18th.

I probably won't start anything else in the meantime though - just not worth it when I know it'll get abandoned the second Arkham comes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:12 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:until I get confirmation from Amazon I'll still be expecting my copy on the 18th.
Why so?. Not gonna happen. :weird:
I'd always take a release date coming from the developers or publishers themselves over some retailer.

But anyway:
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today confirmed that the Games for Windows PC version of Batman: Arkham City will be available in North America beginning November 22, in Australia beginning November 23, in France and Benelux beginning November 24, and in other European territories beginning November 25.
Official Arkham City website. Posted today.

And if that's not enough :p
This item will be released on November 25, 2011.
Pre-order now!
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.
Amazon.co.uk have updated their page.

You won't be receiving your copy on the 18th mate.
And I'll likely be able to complete SR3 during this extra week of waiting for Arkham so I might as well start it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Because my order is still dated the 18th, and if I don't get notified of any change to that by the 18th my copy will be arriving too late for Little Jimmy's birthday, and I would therefore seek recompense ;)

This is of course only possible though if I expect the game to come out on the date my order states.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:if I don't get notified of any change to that by the 18th my copy will be arriving too late for Little Jimmy's birthday, and I would therefore seek recompense ;)
This is of course only possible though if I expect the game to come out on the date my order states.
:lol: Naughty boy. Good luck with that.
I actually contacted them about similar a year or two ago but for legit reasons :p. They'll either reimburse you for the postage you paid (which for me was express delivery for a tenner) or if the item is no longer needed you should be able to send it back to them unopened in its original shrink wrap (since it's a PC game) and you'd prolly get a refund. I wouldn't expect anything other than that whether you get notified or not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:44 pm

M.Steiner
Figured I'd post this just incase this update isn't available on Friday when we get to play it;
For anyone who didn't see on IRC yesterday. - I'd been reading many posts from several different forums on how bad this game runs on PC. Even with top hardware it's reported to run like crap in DX11.
Others reporting synching issues, crashes and even BSOD but mainly the above...

Official response on DX11:
PC DirectX 11 Issues Please Read

We have received reports of performance issues from players of Batman: Arkham City on PC. After researching the matter, we found that running the game with DX 11 is causing the performance issues. We’re working on a title update to address this matter and expect to make it available in the near future.

In the meantime, a workaround for this issue is to run the game with DX 9 instead of DX 11. Instructions on how to turn off DX 11 are listed below.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your gameplay experience and thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

Instructions for changing DX 11 to DX 9
The Launcher can be accessed on Games for Windows LIVE and Steam to change DX 11 to DX 9 in the Settings menu.
Change both DirectX 11 Features and DirectX 11 Tessellation to OFF.

Games for Windows LIVE
Start > All Programs > Games > Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Launcher > Settings
1. Open the Start Menu
2. Select All Programs and then the Games folder
3. Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Launcher
4. Choose Settings then click on the arrow next to DX options to change
Steam:
Launch Steam Client > Library > Right click on Batman: Arkham City > Configure PC Options
1. Open Steam
2. Select Library
3. Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Configure PC Options
4. Choose Settings then click on the arrow next to DX options to change
I didn't move away from consoles and get a gaming PC to start running my games at reduced settings so I'll be waiting until they patch this shit but the DX9 workaround is there for those of you who aren't fussed :thumb:
How on earth did a performance issue affecting so many people playing in DX11 make it into a release build?. Are they blind?.. Disgraceful tbh, just sloppy. :blank:

Fingers crossed they have the patch out before it releases over here in the uk on friday, I was really excited for playing this :/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll run it on DX9 if needbe. Still really excited for the game regardless :)

Shame such an issue slipped through to the live build though. Does suggest quite the slip up if it really is that bad...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:40 pm

M.Steiner
Well my copy arrived today, it has a sweet looking Batman & Robin slipcase I must say. All installed now which took bloody ages lol.
I still want to wait until I can play the game in DX11 but it's oh so tempting to just do DX9, then again people are having lip synch problems and all sorts with that too so even that doesn't sound to be perfect. Back to BF3 I go then, shout me when there's an update!. Hopefully it's not another Crysis 2 wait but they haven't even given a timeframe :/

Oh, just to clarify something btw. The people going on about the game using both Steam & GFWL on top of SecuROM must just be the people who have bought from the steam store as I can confirm that my boxed copy of the game does not use it. You are still forced to login to your XBL account for GWFL but as far as steam goes it is not present in the physical copies. :)

Also;
I was doing some... analyzing of the game and managed to extract the build details.

Build name: QA_APPROVED_BUILD_JANUARY_2011
Compiled on: September 27th, 2011 at 18:18.21

The build of the game we have was compiled at the end of September. Probably the same time the console versions were. This gives almost a month worth of Gold which is normal.

And last QA approval was in January...

So... Since this build of the game was compiled on September 27th, almost a month before the console release, noone could possibly have worked to improve any graphics or implementing any PhysX from October 18th till November 15-18th (When it was spotted in stores).

It's exactly like I thought. All that, was implemented long ago, and the delay was just to gain more console sales.
:weird:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Been playing this since Friday now and I have to say, DX11 issues or no, the game is fantastic. I'm playing on DX9 myself, since I did indeed suffer from the FPS issues in 11, but I really can't find it in me to care. The game is absolutely beautiful even in DX9 mode, and I would have to say whilst it would be nice to have the issue patched I wouldn't really mind if it wasn't at this point.

The game feels very much like Arkham Asylum's story in a Saints Row type world - I can't go anywhere without intercepting radio messages that have me wandering off, finding side missions, or puzzling over Riddler challenges. On the topic of the latter, they're much more challenging this time - they don't just lie around, but there's some form of puzzle attached to all of them be said puzzle "stand on a switch and reach the trophy in time" or having to utilise Catwoman's skills in order to access hitherto inaccessible locations. It's a lot more rewarding to collect the trophies as a result.

Super Criminals also aren't just bosses anymore, you start out facing one in fact. There isn't anything like as much of the "take out 50 thugs before you reach me" that AA offered, good though that was. You'll find some criminals from just exploring side content, and will work with some of them too should you find them. Feels a lot more like a realistic anarchic prison due to this.

MS asked me last night if I felt the game was better than AA, and whilst I'd have to say "ask me again when I'm finished" on the story front (since I'd want to compare the whole story, for fairness' sake), I'd have to say that the game is significantly better both atmospherically and content wise. The side content, which I've mentioned above, was almost non-existant in AA and it's MILES better here. Really makes the game feel like a living breathing world. Rocksteady have done an awesome job with it. So overall I'd probably say yes, the game is seeming to be better so far. I've still got a long way to go before I get 100%, but it's certainly on the right path to surpass its predecessor.

I'd say it's very much a "loved the first, you'll love this" game, so I'd definately recommend the game for those who liked AA. Do have to say though that it's easily one of the (if not the overall) games of the year for me so far, so it'd be a shame for anyone to miss out whether they played AA or not!

My two cents :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:48 pm

M.Steiner
Almost finished with this now.
Ideally I would have liked to have gotten all the riddler trophies as I collected them all in AA too. However I really can't see myself collecting 400 of them to save the rest of the hostages (saved 2 of em so far) and see the rest of that side quest through :/. This game has a lot to offer in terms of side content and I've done pretty much all of the stuff I've come across - deadshot, titan containers with Bane, cold call killer, the identity thief, mad hatter, mystery watcher, reunited nora with Mr Freeze, completed all aug training, retreived all of catwoman's loot and stopped all assaults. But when it comes to the 440 Riddler trophies... there are just too many of them and I don't have the patience lol.

Gonna play through some of the challenge maps with Batman, Catwoman & Robin, collect the remaining few upgrades I need in the main game and get a few more trophies/riddles too, then I'll be done until I come to replay I think.

The freeflow combat is as fun as always and the ability of being able to play as catwoman on and off throughout the main game, with her own unique movies & skills is a welcome addition. The open world gameplay was a bit overwhelming at first I must admit but it wasn't long before I was immersed and off doing one thing or another. The gameworld itself also looks awesome even in DX9 but I do still find it appalling that they delayed the game for PC, showed off the improvements of it and then over a week after the US launch the game is still unplayable in DX11 with no exact time frame of when we can expect a patch for that.

Whether this is better than Arkham Asylum?. I've asked myself the same question and atm I'd say in some ways most definitely but overall I've not made my mind up yet. - The Witcher 2 remains my GOTY but Arkham City is a fantastic sequel and is still one of the best games I've played this year, it did not disappoint. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:42 pm

M.Steiner
Linkie. Since you're still playing Anny :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ahhhh, so that crash after "Press Start" WASN'T just my machine acting up every now and again. Nice to know.

Thanks for the link MS - will grab it just for that fix alone :D

Return to “General Discussions”