2012 Releases

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: 2012 Releases

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:51 am

Rock-n-Roll
Anubis wrote:
Rock-n-Roll wrote:Mechwarrior Online

That's it.

Could this be the year I tey to find an adapter for my old Sidewinder? We shall see..
When's that due out? I remember a few people had eyes on it when it was last mentioned :)
Some say later this year, some say next year, some say they will just keep getting sued every time they try to make this game. It's a mystery Charlie Brown!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 am

Kon
My list, as usual, is pretty barren. Most of the things I want are either older releases or not sure to come in 2012.

Confirmed for 2012:
Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm
Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai

Hope to see:
Planetside 2
Skyrim expansion

Older releases:
Shogun 2: Total War
The Witcher 2
Fallout: New Vegas
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

M.Steiner
:)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Bumping now that I finally have one for this year that I'm looking forward to ;)

Baldur's Gate HD remake! Due this summer, and has me quite excited. Also, Double Fine Adventure if it comes this year obviously, but I have a feeling that may end up being 2013.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Going to drop this little nugget in here if I may: Penny Arcade: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Episode 3

When this series got axed by Hothead a few years ago, I was resigned to the fact that we'd never see the end of it. That would have been a crying shame, as the first two games were great fun and hillarious to play. Whilst the format has changed with this revival of the series (8 pixel JRPG is not exactly what the first two were!), with Gabe and Tycho still behind it I have high hopes that it will be a worthy sequel that will pick up the plot where the originals left off. Definately picking this up come Summer!

With this and the recent Kickstarter shenanigans, I am now watching quite a few non-AAA titles, some due this year and some not. Quite a strange position to be in since I've never really followed many smaller or indie games before. Nice change though, and hopefully they will all work out to be pretty great :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:34 pm

M.Steiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 am

M.Steiner
The first (of 5) episode of Telltale's The Walking Dead adventure game is out on PC today, anyone besides me getting it? I pre-ordered :)
Robert Kirkman (creator of TWD) has been working with Telltale on this so the game is considered official canon to the comic book universe rather than the tv series. After following their Playing Dead developer diaries/talk show I'm quite excited to see how this has turned out. This "zombie" game will be a little different than what we would usually expect from such, with having character development, player decisions (which will carry over across all the eps) & story as their focus rather than a ton of combat without much to support it. Annnd whilst I'm not expecting GOTY or anything, everything I've heard about this in their interviews & gameplay vids sounds great.
Looking forward to playing the first ep tonight! (Steam says it'll unlock in 7hrs from now so 6pm BST.)

Couple of vids here for anyone interested :thumb:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/branc ... ing/729392
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclu ... ing/729480

Also is anyone here a fan of the (good) Silent Hill games or psychological survival horror by any chance? Silent Hill 2 remains one of my favourite games of all time, SH1 was pretty great too (SH3 not too bad either actually). Since those days the series and the genre itself has been a little lacking though sadly. However I just came across an indie title called Lone Survivor (a psychological survival adventure game) which may just change that.

Some reviews here which I've just been reading:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-lone- ... 4872.phtml
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03 ... -survivor/
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/lone_survivor/review.html
http://www.indiegamemag.com/lone-surviv ... tmosphere/

Definitely going to pick this up at some point in the near future. Graphics wise it's far from eye candy but maybe it'll capture the atmosphere and feeling like some of those classics once did, seems like it does from all accounts. It sounds absolutely fantastic. :)
[Edit: Just bought it on steam]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Let me know how that one is. Telltale have done good stuff in the past which I have enjoyed - if you think it's worth a pickup I'll do so.

Only reason I haven't thus far is because I don't watch The Walking Dead - so its franchise appeal to me is nonexistent!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Stracius
Anubis wrote:Only reason I haven't thus far is because I don't watch The Walking Dead - so its franchise appeal to me is nonexistent!
Same, more or less. I care little for games based on movies and less for those on TV. I might give it a look-see considering this is the first time I've been made aware that it's based off a comic book. Might be more room for flexibility and creativity (fun).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:48 am

M.Steiner
Well I finished the first episode earlier this evening. Really terrific actually, infact it exceeded my expectations. It's just the first ep so far so it didn't take long to complete. Just a few hours.

I did have an issue with my graphics at first with parts of the screen being messed up or as if they were missing but I pinpointed this to me having AA forced to override application settings in CCC (I do that for TOR since it's better than the ingame AA). Switching that back to "use application settings" fixed that right up though.
One other note for ATI/AMD users. I did (and others have reported the same) have some issues with stuttering during parts of the gameplay & dialogue scenes on and off, one scene near the beginning of the game particularly. However this only seems to be affecting ATI players so could be a driver issue or something but lowering or switching the shadow quality off fixes that completely. Keep those in mind if you have an ATI card too.

I haven't finished with all of the comics just yet but the game really captures the look and feel of them perfectly imo. Really loved the art style and matched with the atmosphere, setting and background music goes extremely well.

You don't need to have read the comics (or followed the tv show) to play this as it's a new story set in the time that Rick is in the coma. However if you have you'll obviously benefit from already knowing a couple of the characters who make appearances and the locations used and talked about. Since this game series is canon to the comic it also serves as a nice insight into the backstories of these characters.

Character decisions can be quite intense in places especially since you have limited time to respond for some of these. It's not like some games where you have unlimited time to sit and think it though but gotta act quick. All decisions will follow through to subsequent episodes too so it'll be interesting to see just how some of those impact the story or relationships later on. Speaking of relationships, I actually felt emotionally attached to Clementine along with being genuinely interested in some of the other characters. This was quite weird in a way.. I mean, in a lot of games/tv when there's a character whom you're supposed to care about the reality is that you (or at least I) couldn't really give a crap about some kid and they may even annoy the hell out of you. This was different though. Spot on.
This is the first Telltale game I've got around to playing so far so I can't compare its quality or similarity to previous works of theirs unfortunately. However I have read several comments this evening from people who have and claim it to be their best work yet.

Oh and I liked a little stat feature they included at the end of the first episode. Here's mine for if you guys pick it up as well (though the stats of others will most likely have changed a lot as I will have been one of the first to finish it): Basically compares the major choices you made with all the other players. Pretty neat.

Anyway, I honestly can't wait for the next episode now and would definitely recommend this most excellent adventure to new and existing fans :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Thanks for the great review MS - I'll definately pick it up on the back of that. Sounds like it may be worth a look, and I'm very glad to hear it's open to non-series followers :)

Will be the first non-comedy adventure Telltale game I have played. Hopefully it will leave me as impressed as you are!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 am

M.Steiner
Hopefully!, I enjoyed every minute of it.. I shall await your thoughts when you do mate :D
I think they're supposed to be releasing the other eps on a monthly basis so not too long to wait for episode 2. I think this is the first time I've played a game released in an episodic format too come to think of it, quite exciting having to wait for the next installment hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Lee
whats the actual gameplay like? 3rd person, sandbox, strict pathing, hand-led story?

i saw it a while ago on steam offering the pre-order and was really quite interested, cant remember why i didnt buy it... think the vid i watched was a commentator rather than gameplay...
Eeks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 am

M.Steiner
You may not want to watch all of this so you can experience it fully if you decide to buy it but this vid should give you a good idea what it's like:
(Giant Bomb quick look)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Chimera
According to the developers, Mechwarrior Online is supposed to be due a summer release. They are doing the F&F beta right now. Crossing my fingers and doing some stretching to work on my torso twists.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:20 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:Also is anyone here a fan of the (good) Silent Hill games or psychological survival horror by any chance? Silent Hill 2 remains one of my favourite games of all time, SH1 was pretty great too (SH3 not too bad either actually). Since those days the series and the genre itself has been a little lacking though sadly. However I just came across an indie title called Lone Survivor (a psychological survival adventure game) which may just change that.

Some reviews here which I've just been reading:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-lone- ... 4872.phtml
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03 ... -survivor/
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/lone_survivor/review.html
http://www.indiegamemag.com/lone-surviv ... tmosphere/

Definitely going to pick this up at some point in the near future. Graphics wise it's far from eye candy but maybe it'll capture the atmosphere and feeling like some of those classics once did, seems like it does from all accounts. It sounds absolutely fantastic. :)
[Edit: Just bought it on steam]
Quick update as I meant to comment now that I have played & completed it. Lone Survivor really is a phenomenal little game.
It may not look like SH at first glance but it really does feel like one of the classics in terms of story ideas (which including the ending(s) are quite thought provoking), atmosphere, puzzles and its soundtrack. I won't spoil anything but it's definitely worth experiencing for anyone who is interested in that kinda thing or just supporting indie developers. Quite amazing how it was developed by just one guy, I loved it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:40 pm

M.Steiner
Anyone else getting this btw?
I've always known about it but hadn't really given it any attention until I recently saw a couple of videos. This one sold it to me.

Starting next month we've basically got non stop releases every month until the end of the year pretty much!

August
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Dark Souls PC
  • Guild Wars 2
  • - Planetside 2 beta opening up "within the next month" too so some of us may have been given access to this by the end of next month, if we're lucky!
September
  • Borderlands 2
October
  • Dishonored!!
  • Rocksmith PC [uk date isn't confirmed but fingers crossed...]
November
  • Hitman Absolution
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Far Cry 3 [Dec 4th for the US, UK get something first for once!]
Plus the remaining episodes of the awesome TWD games from Telltale. The titles above are just the ones I'll be getting myself and have pre-ordered too, may get Darksiders 2 in August as well but haven't decided yet. Either way there's lots to look forward to ^^ ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hadn't heard of Sleeping Dogs. That trailer looks interesting.

I'll probably wait for reviews and more firm gameplay sequences (rather than cherry picked bits) before judging as I know so little about it, but I must admit that does look promising. Thanks for bringing it to our attention :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Anubis wrote:Bumping now that I finally have one for this year that I'm looking forward to ;)

Baldur's Gate HD remake! Due this summer, and has me quite excited.
For anyone interested, this has just been announced for a September 18th release today :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Bumping now that I finally have one for this year that I'm looking forward to ;)
I know you're nowhere near as pumped for Dishonored as myself & BD are but are you not even looking forward to that mate?
Or Assassin's Creed 3 even?

I'd say FC3 as well but I know you probably won't be playing that one with it being a FPS. You should give Hitman Absolution a try though imo, have a look here mate: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... -terrific/.
I have been wary of Hitman on and off since it was announced if I'm honest. Hoping it would live up to Blood Money but also worried that they would take it in the same direction as Conviction took Splinter Cell. By that I mean removing most of the stealth aspects of the game and the multiple ways of completing a mission and turning into some kind of action shooter.
After seeing this video walkthrough I'm not at all worried any more. The vid clearly shows that Absolution plays exactly the same as the previous hitmen games, just with more tools and better graphics & AI. I am very happy now that I know I can take my targets out multiple ways and play as a silent assassin again <3

Oh and you should look into Dark Souls PC which we were talking about earlier on on the week and see what the console reviews for that said about its story. The metacritic user score for that is nearly as high as the critic ones so I'd assume it must be pretty darn good in all departments really. At least I'd be surprised if people were rating an RPG so highly if it had a crap or next to no story.
There are quite a few games coming out for me in Aug/Sep so chances are you'll get to this before me. If you decide to give it a try let us know what you think and I may bump it up my play list if it's as good as some people claim it to be :thumb:

Also tis a shame that (I'm assuming) you're still not sure about Sleeping Dogs. With the 40min gameplay vid I gave ya plus the other 2 I linked you've probably seen more footage of that game than I've seen for most of the games I've pre-ordered tbh lol. I wish there were some new 40min vids of Dishonored floating around!, that being said I wouldn't want to watch then anyway heh :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
It's not that I'm not interested in then, it's just that I'm...not looking forward to them, if that makes sense. There's no enthusiasm or any kind of burning desire there. They're titles that I've either heard of or am otherwise aware of, but ones that I'm not really following beyond links that are passed around in IRC.

Odds are, they're titles I'll wait for review and/or opinions from you guys before I pick them up in most cases. AC3 will be an exception in that I'll play it regardless, but I'm honestly not expecting masses from it.

So yeah, I'll probably play them but I'm not really looking forward to them, no :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:15 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:It's not that I'm not interested in then, it's just that I'm...not looking forward to them, if that makes sense. There's no enthusiasm or any kind of burning desire there. They're titles that I've either heard of or am otherwise aware of, but ones that I'm not really following beyond links that are passed around in IRC.

Odds are, they're titles I'll wait for review and/or opinions from you guys before I pick them up in most cases. AC3 will be an exception in that I'll play it regardless, but I'm honestly not expecting masses from it.

So yeah, I'll probably play them but I'm not really looking forward to them, no :)
Whilst I do find it surprising that you're not as excited for a title like Dishonored as some of us are I do kinda see what you mean as I felt very similar last year with Skyrim actually. I'm sure those who seem to adore that game will be just as surprised with that comment as I am with the Dishonored one heh. - I was fully aware of it (how could I not be? lol) and do still intend on playing it at some point (as I haven't just yet) but... I just wasn't really pumped for it like a lot of other people were, especially after playing TW2 which completely raised the bar. It released at a silly time last year too as it was around the same time as Arkham City, Saints Row 3 etc so it was one of the titles I didn't buy at release but I haven't really had any enthusiasm to get to it any quicker since it was released either tbh. That being said I will still try it and see for myself but it won't be for a while yet with all of these awesome looking games coming between now and Dec.

Speaking of which: Dishonored GTTV episode ;D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 pm

M.Steiner
Some of you may have heard already but the Black Mesa mod finally got a release date. Can you believe it? I know I couldn't :lol:
September 14th.
and that's 2012, yep. So less than 2 weeks away ^^
Been waiting so many years for that thing. Will be very interesting to see how it turned out exactly, but I won't be getting my hopes up for anything extraordinary. We shall see.

annnnd only 6 weeks for Dishonored too!. So close yet still seems so far away. I hope everyone here has that pre-ordered already? or at least intends to buy and support those awesome guys day 1 or soon after?. If not just go and hang your head in shame please, ty! :p
Last game I was this excited about was TW2. Can't freakin' wait :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 am

Kon
Hopefully Black Mesa won't be the Duke Nukem of 2012.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hmmm, Baldurs Gate is only 10 days away now but still no trailer. Anyone seen anything more than screenshots for it?

I am slightly concerned.

Return to “General Discussions”