All You Ex-Neocron Players...

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

All You Ex-Neocron Players...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
...should really read this thread: The Future

Could be REALLY awesome imo. Both browser based and client based, the best of NC1 and 2, bringing the game back to the masses?

I'm really excited about it, and the news has only been out a few hours haha! I'll be all over that if and when it hits - maybe we could find ourselves back in NC as a group too if interest is high enough :)

EDIT: Topic got split, so changed directions and link.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: All You Ex-Neocron Players...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 am

M.Steiner
I still hope that one day, should things improve, Kirk & the rest of the developers will be able to follow through on their plans for a proper sequel with NC3 and New Tokyo but until then this is the next best thing and it's a brilliant idea.
I was initially quite skeptical when hearing "browser" but reading the replies and looking around it seems I underestimated Unity quite a bit. Best parts of NC1 and 2 combined and "enhanced" not "simply copying things", on a new engine without all the code problems they used to have holding them back, FRE's, hacking issues, great potential for introducing the game to a wider audience if done right etc. This could be fantastic but I kinda see this as a fresh start so I think it'd be wise for everyone to start from scratch rather than have them allow characters to be imported.
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
Haven't seen this message on their boards for a while hehe. :D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 am

Kon
I just forgot all about Planetside 2.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm

M.Steiner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:44 pm

SL33PY
reminds me, I need to call kirk next time I'll be in town

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=145070

Looks like Reakktor is officially dead then :( Backup plan or no, tis still sad to see considering we have a lot of history with them through Neocron. Statement frim Kirk coming soon apparently.

RIP KK!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:00 am

M.Steiner
On one hand I'm just happy and thankful to see this isn't the end for "KK" or Neocron, just Reakktor.
NC & KK have always been very special to me. Not only does it remain my favourite MMO to date, has given me my most fondest online gaming memories, whose combat system, crafting, and world pvp have yet to be beaten. But the first MMO I played which introduced me to massively multiplayer games and the game where I met some fantastic friends and discovered this place. To hear Reakktor are no longer is incredibly sad to hear. :(
Will be looking out for the statement anyway and all eyes on Nukklear.
SL33PY wrote:reminds me, I need to call kirk next time I'll be in town
Words don't really mean much I guess but give Kirk our best wishes :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 am

Futile Resistance
Darn, poor KK. Here's to hoping Nukklear is a good, fresh start.

I'm definitely checking out NC via the Nukklear team once it's out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Dribble Joy
Lurkyhidelurk.

Good/Bad news indeed.

If they get the financing structure right, NC:R could be awesome. From what we have gathered, it will probably be a freemium service, with a cash-shop and a subscription option. What they add to the cash-shop for the F2P players will make or break it.
Fooking 'ell! It's Fred Titmus!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Scorpius
Dribble Joy wrote:Lurkyhidelurk.

Good/Bad news indeed.

If they get the financing structure right, NC:R could be awesome. From what we have gathered, it will probably be a freemium service, with a cash-shop and a subscription option. What they add to the cash-shop for the F2P players will make or break it.
Lol heres a blast from the past the merc who turned sitting on the fence into an art form. :D
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Dribble Joy wrote:Lurkyhidelurk.

Good/Bad news indeed.

DJ! You're here :D

A few of us were just chatting on IRC the other week saying how it was a shame how we never saw you and some of the rest of the old NC crowd much anymore - Athon, Gryph, etc. Great to hear from you - now stay around and post more often! :lol:

On the topic of NC:R, a subscription service for an F2P MMO sounds rather odd - there'd need to be quite a few perks for that to be commercially viable I would say. A shop of some kind makes sense though, where you could maybe buy some of the harder rares or rarer BPs (obviously would have to be single use or something) from.

I'm definately interested in the game, and if it materialises I'll definately play it. Would even be tempted to sub to support it if I did play tbh.

I suppose we'll have to see how it goes though. A year, which I think Kirk said was how long it'd take, is a long time - especially on the back of KK going out of business. Fingers crossed they can pull it all together!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Dribble Joy
Scorpius wrote:the merc who turned sitting on the fence into an art form. :D
Hellyez :D.

Freemium works something like this:

The game is F2P, you have a cash-shop for items (like clothing, weapons, in-game cash, etc.).

You then have a subscription option that grants those players with say: Higher xp gain, access to cash-shop items in-game, higher drop rates, plus whatever else.

This means anyone can play for free, but you have to pay (casually/on the spot or subscribe) for the nice stuff.

Where it can all go wrong is like what happened when gamigo got a hold of BP; Too much stuff was available in the cash shop that people with money to burn would have everything and certain stuff (like high-end weapons afaik) was only available at the shop.
This completely killed the game for those who couldn't or wouldn't pay and put the casual players at a complete disadvantage - they left in droves.

So balancing the pros and cons of each style of play has to be reached, otherwise you alienate a critical section of the player-base.
Fooking 'ell! It's Fred Titmus!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 pm

M.Steiner
ello there, DJ!. Nice to see ya :thumb:
(MS btw, just changed the full name)
Dribble Joy wrote:Where it can all go wrong is like what happened when gamigo got a hold of BP; Too much stuff was available in the cash shop that people with money to burn would have everything and certain stuff (like high-end weapons afaik) was only available at the shop.
Oh wow. You know.. I was wondering what had gone wrong with BP as I had been under the impression that it was doing quite well for them but obviously not when all this news came to light.
How did they ever think that was a good idea? Crazy oO

Also I suppose I should change my "save KK" sig now...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
kryptonite, I've had to archive your post I'm afraid in accordance with our moderation policy here.

Whilst it's great to have community members from games we have played/play visit, and a revived Neocron is something I'm sure many here would dearly like to see, your post seems to suggest that whatever venture you're operating/proposing is being operated illegally without the IP holder's consent.

We do not support piracy here, and as such do not allow posts openly supporting or promoting piracy on our boards.

- Anny

Edit - Second post archived for the same reason. Advertising piracy. Whilst I like to think I am lenient in my moderation, if you do this one more time I will have to disable your account for deliberate breaches of the rules despite warnings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:02 pm

kryptonite
"For the greater good" has many meanings ;) I was hoping to reach the actual fans of nc, which won't see the light of day under Kirk's non-existant company. But who knows what's ahead down the road for nc's future. If NC3 finally does happen, I really hope I see SSX in-game. :thumb: Ya'll take care.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:59 pm

SoulSeeker
I'm here....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SoulSeeker wrote:I'm here....
And we love you for it :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:43 am

kryptonite
It's sad that someone from this forum leaked the existence of the private server to KK, which means that person never wants to see nc3 made. Thought I could trust ppl here. Especially when it was from the 2nd post i made that was swiftly removed, by Anubis, so I suspect it was Anubis who leaked it. But if you don't wanna see an nc3, don't try to spoil it for everyone else, and by everyone I mean a few HUNDRED in just nc1/nc2.1 players. Keyword there: "try".

Latest news now is our head Dev MIGHT be working for KK in the future. Still, investors will not fund a CEO who has 2 failed mmorpgs under his belt & broke in the past 5 years. Only way it will ever happen is if #1 our dev gets to bring his crew, AND #2 nc3 gets funded from the playerbase, since investors won't with Kirk still CEO.

SO, those of you that DREAM of seeing a NEW nc3 with NEW gfx, which is already in the works (not by KK), keep watch on the official NC forums.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:55 am

SSX-Ava
kryptonite wrote:It's sad that someone from this forum leaked the existence of the private server to KK.

I suppose you have evidence to backup these claims? Also you posted your activities on a publicly visible board, it could have been anyone

[Edit: Made a few alterations, MS]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:43 am

M.Steiner
I'll leave your post here since news of this server seems to have been all over the official forums today.

The archiving of your previous posts were not personal or anything it's just the way we do things around here.
However good or bad the intentions were of the people running this server and regardless of the fact that the server exe was mistakenly made freely available doesn't really justify what it essentially is, copyright infringement. Personally, I think what you guys were trying to achieve (and have done by the sounds of it) is a good thing for Neocron, a game which many of us hold very dear and the thought of a bug & cheat free game with a thriving and passionate community sounds fantastic. But to do this illegally behind KK's back, without any permission at all I don't agree with. Whether Kirk showed no interest or ignored any previous attempt at trying to go about this in an official manner or not that doesn't condone going ahead and doing it without his knowledge. Also your previous comments about "eventually selling the game back to KK" and how "KK wouldn't maintain or develop" it from then on I found very low considering the hardtimes they are going through atm and was further reason for moderating. Would this be classed as extortion? I dunno but it sounds dodgy to me. Though reading the official forums today I've read conflicting info concerning that bit it seems so I'm not sure what all of the intentions truely were. <- This is all just my opinion btw and not necessarily the opinion of other members here. I don't want to get into a discussion on the rights and wrongs either.

I don't believe I know you from when I used to play NC back in the day or how well you know us but for the record our group has been around for well over a decade now. We have lots of visitors/lurkers drop by here all the time even if they aren't active posters, have a very high google page rank and several members here both past and present work in the game or entertainment industry. Whether some of us participate or talk about such things in private IM is one thing (hacks aside which we do not support at all) at the end of the day we like to cover our backs when it comes to our forums. We don't have any hidden/private forums here anymore like we did once upon a time and so everything is out in the open for anybody on the internet to see, even our archives. Because of this any talk of pirated games, private servers, anime fansubbing groups or any dodgy downloads swiftly gets moderated and/or archived simply so we can't be held accountable for anything should the wrong person(s) read it and think our group is in support.
You seem to think it was someone from this forum who leaked this info and I will say that no, it was not me and I'm not in a habit of lying but I'd rather we didn't come out and point fingers at people either please. What's done is done. All I'll say is to repeat what I said above and that's that the posts you made here were public and even though they were moderated and archived they are still perfectly viewable at the bottom of our forum, absolutely anybody (guest, member, friend of ours or a completely random person) can clearly see what you posted, including Kirk himself or anyone else still working for "KK".

I won't lock the thread but I'd rather we left it at this and not have it turn into a discussion. It seems like Kirk & the person(s) in question will be entering talks shortly so I do hope that something positive can come out of this. If Kirk becoming aware of the existence of this private server leads to these fixes being implemented onto the live servers with his full backing then surely that's a good thing for everyone and the future of the game game, he can't exactly ignore it now. Even better if these people are brought onboard to help out officially in the future and work together instead of continuing to operate illegally behind closed doors. I do think him finding out was for the best and he had a right to know what was going on with his property.

Anyway, for now I think all talk is best left to Kirk and the people actually involved with this server and the development of it. Ta :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:27 am

kryptonite
The words that Kirk quoted he was shown, were in my 2nd post here, and nowhere else did I repeat those specific words. The fact the post was swiftly removed (within ~10 mins?), negates the statement of this being publically seen. Someone would then have to intentionally search on this forum for the post. (No link to this forum from google with 1/2 a sentence of my post, in the first 10 pages). Seeing as how it was posted on the 2nd, & kirk found out about it late night (for us) on the 11th, that's a small time frame. Moreso because there's a very good chance only the mods of this forum were aware of what I posted. Someone from here tipped em. More than likely a mod.

But anyway, it didn't stop nc3 production, kinda. It just stopped the private server, and production & fixing on it, which we the players test. Now it won't be. Now Kirk has very little to help convince him our dev & his crew can change nc's life & his life. He already came to Kirk about the fixes he could implement to retail before this private server was even made, and Kirk rejected him with the attitude of 'we dont need your help'. This server was to be proof of what our dev can do for the game, then eventually & hopefully, become the new retail server itself. But anyway, shouldnt have posted here to begin with. Yall have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:21 am

M.Steiner
Well not removed as such, just moved. If someone happened to be viewing this thread and read that your posts had been archived relating to a revived NC and something being operated without permission it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to work out what that could be referring to even without seeing your posts before they were moved. All they had to do was click our archive link at the bottom of the forum index, scroll down the page and see what you posted. No need for using the forums search function or even digging through google. Up until the test post I shifted there yesterday your posts were at the very top and even now they're only under that 1 post, plain as day. Assuming as you will that the info came from here it wouldn't take a mod to be aware of what you actually posted and we get plenty visitors dropping through here all the time as I say. The second archived post you speak of has been viewed several times since it was moved to the archive and those don't take into account any possible views before it was split from this thread. It may not have been viewed a hundred times but other people have clearly seen it and all it would take would be 1 person to decide to report it or through word of mouth pass it to someone else who did just that. I'm not denying the possibility that it could have been a member/mod from here rather than a visitor or even at all but technically it could have been anyone.

Besides it has happened now and debating how KK could have found out or whether the running of this server could be justified regardless of the legalities doesn't solve or change anything. Neither does pointing fingers or finding other people to blame for reporting this when those involved aren't dumb and will have known very well that what they were doing wasn't legal however pure their intentions. Whilst I appreciate you dropping by and thinking of involving our group perhaps it's not such a good idea to post info like that publicly in future when any curious person could act on it and be able to link it back to you or anyone else involved. Or better yet don't get involved with illegal activities in the first place. Afterall that's why we moderate stuff like this in the first place so we're not promoting such antics, can never be sure just who views ones posts. Thankfully in this incident it appears that Kirk is willing to talk and put NC first rather than seek legal action. If I was in their shoes I'd just be thankful that this is KK, had it been one of the big boys I can't imagine they'd be so lenient tbh.

I appreciate you being civil as well btw. I don't post on the official forums and haven't done for some years but I browse them frequently just for old times sake and holding out hope for an NC3 too. I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for any NC3/NC:R/Kickstarter related news in the future or what may come of your dev(s) working alongside KK if that does indeed happen. NC is still my favourite MMO to date and I only want the best for the game and for the future of KK.

Anyway, time I went to bed as it's well after 7am for those of us in the UK. Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
There isn't much which can be added to what MS and Ava have already said here, so I won't write out a reply reiterating the same thing. Suffice to say that they're right in what they say about information you posted here being completely public for all to see even after my moderation of it, and in my personal opinion MS is also completely right when he says "the ends don't justify the means".

I would just like to note that this sort of situation is exactly why we don't allow talk of piracy on our forums. They are all publically accessible, and there are MANY means (not just Google) via which information posted on them can be accessed. By posting about such things on a publically accessible forum you run the risk of those you would not like to know finding the information, and the group running the forums themselves being implicated as supporting the act of piracy itself. By the act of moderating your post, we demonstrate to whomever the aggrieved party may be (in this case Kirk), that we do not support or condone the act itself. Considering legal threats were being bandied about during Kirk's first post on the subject, I think it has been clearly demonstrated that this policy is both right and necessary.

It sounds like Kirk and the man behind this server are going to talk in the near future. I hope something comes of that which would improve Neocron for everyone, but at the same time I hope that whatever comes out of it is legal, out in the open, and agreed upon by the IP holder rather than something behind the scenes - in my opinion, that is what would really be best for Neocron as a whole.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Lee
hmm. link to NC forum - the grey and neon... it's... all.... flooding.... back...

frankly i dont care whether it is browser based or f2p. i have seen browser games (basically wow or stwor in a browser and it was exactly the same as a client - but without a client)
also dont care about f2p as long as it was done properly. have Tparts drop at random and need ressing, compared to £1 (or euro etc.) for the actual part you need (hull of awesome splurge gun) could be quite acheivable. we all know how hard it is to go out hunting and what we would conisder an appropriate cost (basically £6 for the rare cannon you wanted to get your hands on or two weeks of rares and perhaps £1 for the last part)
point is its do-able.

you would hope the browser would cut down on latency, cheating and downloads etc. on top.

if you could only get in game for afew nights and had full time job = your monthly sub is equivalent to a single nice bit of gear... then you can actually play those few days. If you can play loads and have oodles of money... go nuts. suport the game and we will catch up in a few weeks.

unfortunately business doesnt run like that.
hope is hope, and its always there... with the most respect i can give to other games.... NC char customisation has been the best by miles... its frantic gameplay (pvp - aggies or pp, not ganking obv.) has been far better than i have seen elsewhere...
perhaps it will be back in a form, maybe for a month only, maybe for a few, hopefully longer.
Eeks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 pm

kryptonite
They're supposed to be discussing this coming up wednesday, and the fact Kirk is wanting to DISCUSS shows he's finally not pushing aside the community's help for the game. But yeah, hopefully #1 the private server replaces the retail server (seriously, that server is ooold, & I have had the fastest sync'ing & rarely an FRE with this private server) & #2 Kirk hires our dev & his crew for development. If so, things will quickly start gettin patched for retail. Lets hope Kirk chooses what's best for nc & the possibility of nc3. So yeah, after wednesday next week, watch the forums to see if any KK post is made about this. If no post happens but our dev informs us of the conclusion(s), I'll update you guys here. We'll need as many ppl coming back to retail if this happens. A large portion of our clan is already one, then also After Dark, & The Dark Light. Would be great to see SSX return also. Again, more ppl on retail after these changes means a better possibility of nc3 soon. Even though nc1 players returning & not liking how nc2.2 is, I gaurantee they'll like how quick our dev & his crew spit patches out, and these patches are near FLAWLESS. (The Anti-cheat detection system was written up in about 15 mins...by just our dev.)

Anyways, 'till wednesday...

OH, well damn...they already had a talk lol one sec, I'll edit in a few:
I have had a long discussion with Kirk on Skype and it went very well. I am allowed to fire up PE and continue work, however he asks that i keep it to my staff for now. I will also be getting him setup to jump on the server and see our fixes.

Things are looking up guys! Soon you might see KK_Josh running around in retail, and I'll do my best to get everything back to standards ;D

I'm hoping to work close with Kirk and his developers to bring Neocron back to its feet and get rid of the cheaters.
Hello all!

God I feel like Kirk slipping in here to give you guys news, but trust me I'm not =P You can always hit me up on Skype haha.

Here is the news I have, and a rough draft of the plan I have...

I'm going to be cleaning up the testserver we were running and present changes to Kirk. It will be my resume for hopefully a development position. I am going to suggest my developer who does code is also included in the project.

I want to revamp and make fixes to the current server. Fixing of Duping is actually very simple with the source code, and I will be pushing for my dev to fix it for them.

I will be applying to be the new balance coordinator. I will try to get a test server going again for everybody to come test on and get everything fixed on Neocron. Proper balancing, weapon fixes, with my team having access to the code base I'm sure we can fix the whole thing up

Again please, have faith in me. My small team of 3 were able to change SO much in Neocron in just a short time, with the source code available we should be able to make MASSIVE changes in a short time and fix this game.

I do have ideas for the other concerns but I will share these after I share them with Kirk.
Keep in mind they still have more to discuss regarding players allowed to test, his employment, his crew, a testserver, etc.

There's also the idea he's going to pitch to Kirk of wiping the server items & upping the tech drop rate. I like the idea tbh. One big reason nc is no longer fun for us is cuz there's so many duped items and everyone has everything so there's almost no economy. Anyway, things are lookin good! (thank jesus) Get yall's nc dreams goin and get ready to jump back on retail or a testserver. :thumb:

Return to “General Discussions”