E3 2012

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

E3 2012

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
So, it's nearly that time of year again! I know some of us *cough* MS *cough* have been stocking up on snacks and other essentials for weeks so that you may observe the grand ceremony of gaming in an uninterrupted manner. I'm more laid back this year, because I doubt there'll be much there for me, but even so I thought it might be nice to see what people expect to see at the main highlights - the press conferences. Or at least, what people are hoping for :)

My expectations are:

Microsoft - Xbox 720 announce, but no detailed reveal.
Sony - Vita heavy, but for the console crowd a couple of big announces. Maybe a new Killzone.
Nintendo - Not one word on anything but Wii-U.

What does anyone else think? Possibly in more detail than my ideas if you like, if you're more up to speed on what's likely ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: E3 2012

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:42 pm

M.Steiner
Ofc!. E3 is one of my favourite times of the year lol
Plus it's the only gaming event which many of us follow on IRC and can stream & chat about (which isn't SC2 or Football since I don't watch either :p). Always enjoy that hehe ;D

My predictions...Lets see.

Want to see:
  • Dishonored gameplay demo ***
  • SimCity first ingame footage
  • Company of Heroes 2 gameplay demo which the press saw. Or a gameplay trailer.
  • Assassin's Creed III gameplay demo
  • Thief4 trailer
  • Command & Conquer: Generals 2 gameplay trailer
  • Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs trailer
  • The Last of Us gameplay demo (I don't own a PS3 but I really wanna see more)
Want to see but less likely or wishful thinking:
  • Half-Life 3 (I can hope!)
  • Grand Theft Auto V - R* aren't on the exhibitor list for E3 but ya never know, a surprise trailer or something could be shown during one of the press conferences.
  • Mirror's Edge 2 announcement (doubtful but would make me extremely happy)
  • Beyond Good & Evil 2 (again, doubtful)
  • The Last Guardian (probably a no show but who knows..)
  • Splinter Cell 6 (as long as it goes back to its roots, not like Conviction)
Ofc I'd like to see more from some other titles like Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands2 & Hitman Absolution for instance but I won't go listing every other game in my 2012 list again lol.
(LucasArts are also revealing a secret unnannounced game too but no confirmation of what that is.)

I'm not expecting to see or hear anything from MS or Sony regarding their next-gen consoles until next year tbh but Nintendo will headline with their Wii-U (games, release date & price).
I expect one of the games Nintendo will be showing off will be Rayman Legends. Rayman Origins was brilliant so I'd quite like to see that too...
MS will probably open with a gameplay demo for Black Ops 2 or Halo 4 I imagine, rest will be focused on casual/kinect shit again. I'm expecting more Vita stuff from Sony with a gameplay demo of The Last of Us.

So yeah, those are what I'm hoping/expecting to see from E3 this year. Hopefully some surprise reveals too.
Really, as long as I get to see plenty of Dishonored gameplay I think I'll be happy. The rest will be the icing on the cake :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:(LucasArts are also revealing a secret unnannounced game too but no confirmation of what that is.)
I'm going to call that as being Battlefront 3. We'll see though.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:
M.Steiner wrote:(LucasArts are also revealing a secret unnannounced game too but no confirmation of what that is.)
I'm going to call that as being Battlefront 3. We'll see though.
Aye, or maybe Star Wars kinect 2! lol

Speaking of SW... Not long ago someone discovered that LucasArts appear to be re-releasing a bundle for KOTOR 1 & 2 this summer. I do remember a few who seemed to think that could be a sign that a real KOTOR 3 was in the works and that the bundle would help generate hype for it. You guys would know more about the likelihood of that than I would though. Probably Battlefront 3 as you say heh :)

Also
@geoffkeighley wrote:Today we filmed a huge top secret game reveal for our E3 coverage. Can't wait to share it with you - no one will see this one coming.
8:58 PM - 21 May
Could be overhyping... Any guesses? ^^
hmmm

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I would honestly be amazed if we ever saw a KOTOR 3, and even if we did it wouldn't be a true one. Not only as an absolutely huge injection of cash just gone into the franchise (with questionable effect), but BioWare has effectively ruined the franchise through what they did to Revan and how they marginalised the Sith in the game.

If a 'true' KOTOR 3 ever emerged I'd be delighted, but think there's more chance of Activision announcing the error of their ways and that they'll be providing free games from now on by means of recompense.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:58 pm

M.Steiner
GameTrailers E3 Coverage

THURSDAY MAY 31ST
Pre-E3 Sneak Peak Special
World premiere of the gameplay trailer for Dishonored plus announcement of the next Star Wars game, Tomb Raider etc.
6:00AM BST (June 1st) | 1:00AM EDT | 10:00PM PDT
MONDAY JUNE 4TH
MS Press Conference
5:30PM BST | 12:30PM EDT | 9:30AM PDT

EA Press Conference
9:00PM BST | 4:00PM EDT | 1:00PM PDT

Ubisoft Press Conference
11:00PM BST | 6:00PM EDT | 3:00PM PDT

Sony Press Conference
2:00AM BST (June 5th) | 9:00PM EDT | 6:00PM PDT
TUESDAY JUNE 5TH
Nintendo Press Conference
5:00PM BST | 12:00PM EDT | 9:00PM PDT
THURSDAY JUNE 7TH
GTTV Special
World premiere of Unreal Engine 4
6:00AM BST (June 8th) | 1:00AM EDT | 10:00PM PDT
EVERYDAY
E3 All Access Live
Gameplay demos, interviews etc. Will be running on and off throughout each day starting at:
4:30PM BST | 11:30AM EDT | 8:30AM PDT

Those are the times that GT have said but if they change I'll try and update em! :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Remarkably good timing this year - I hadn't realised it was the Jubilee week, so I'll actually get to watch all of Monday/Tuesday's coverage due to the Bank Holidays.

Very pleased - thanks for posting the schedule MS :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 am

M.Steiner
Gametrailers E3 First Look Special

So, the new Star Wars game from LucasArts is..... Star Wars 1313.

A brand new SW franchise
3rd person over the shoulder action adventure game
You'll play as a bounty hunter
Takes place in a subterranean metropolis called Level 1313, 1313 levels beneath the surface of Coruscant
- They'll be showing the first ever gameplay footage on Monday at 3:00AM BST (Tue) | 10:00PM EDT | 7:00PM PDT

annnnd my most anticipated game of the year and the one title I had any great interest in seeing more of at E3;
I'm still very much hoping to see an uncut gameplay demo playthrough during E3 but this looks just as incredible as I imagined it would from the previews and interviews. Art style and background design is bloody amazing.
Take my money already! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:23 am

Anubis
Site Admin
So far:

Microsoft: 1/10
EA: 4/10
Ubisoft: 9/10
Sony: 6/10
Nintendo: -5/10 (atrocious)

Kudos to Ubisoft for putting on the best press conference E3 has seen from any party in years. "Watchdog" in particular is by far and away the best thing shown at the show so far. It's a must play for me if it comes out for PC.

EDIT: Watchdog trailer for those who missed it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 am

M.Steiner
Here we are. What a surprise from Ubi:
Incredible. Watching it again now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:28 am

M.Steiner
Highlights for me (just counting the stuff shown during conferences):

Watch Dogs
The Last of Us
Assassin's Creed III
Far Cry 3
Beyond: Two Souls
SimCity
Rayman Legends

Ubi stole the shows today by a long way. Painful intro with the dance/rap crap but they more than made up for it with Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Rayman Legends and then giving us the amazing reveal of Watch Dogs which nobody was expecting. This alone pretty much overshadowed everything else I'd seen all day heh. Incredible.

Sony's was worth watching just for the first gameplay footage of The Last of Us which looked absolutely fantastic, Beyond: Two Souls and a different (even better) demo of AC3. I wish they had spent longer showing TLOU instead of that awful Harry Potter wand game but never mind. What they did show was extremely impressive. I need to look into buying a PS3 for that along with all the other exclusives I've been wanting to play like the Uncharted series, MGS4 & Heavy Rain....

EA... Well, I got to see the SimCity footage I'd been after which I was more than happy to see and looked decent enough. They did show Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 too but after everything else I've seen today neither stood out or looked all that great tbh. - Pretty crap mostly.

MS. Tomb Raider was the best they had to show imo, which I'm has piqued my interest some. There were welcome sightings of Splinter Cell & Resident Evil but, as feared they're more action orientated sadly. I will still play em mind... The South Park trailer was also very good but it is a shame that's all they had to show. Halo 4 was their main "seller" but looked bloody terrible as far as I'm concerned - Again pretty rubbish overall.

No next-gen console announcements from MS or Sony as I expected and still have the Nintendo conference to go tomorrow so we'll see how their Wii-U stuff goes...

Watch Dogs & The Last of Us are both game of show for me. Then AC3, FC3 etc.
Haven't listed my much anticipated Dishonored there as it wasn't shown during any of the conferences but I'm expecting to see more of that tomorrow on GT!

As always it was really fun day watching the streams with you guys again. Time for bed and more tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 am

Isileth
Wow at the Watch Dogs footage, looks amazing.

Didn't watch any of the show myself, cant stand them. However you don't need to when people kindly link to the good bits :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 pm

M.Steiner
These are the rest of my conference highlights :thumb:

The Last of Us
Assassin's Creed III
Far Cry 3
Beyond: Two Souls
SimCity
Rayman Legends
I'll stick this one in too since I thought it looked pretty good;

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Isileth
Awesome much appreciated MS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The Last of Us and Beyond looked really great too I must admit - such a shame that those are confirmed PS3 exclusives. Maybe when the PS3 dips under £100 I'll get one to play them, we'll see. I'll probably just wait a decade for an emulator though...

Also, the only thing missing from the batch of videos MS posted for me was a lovely little gem named "ZombiU" that Ubisoft announced (trailer below). Apparently it's going to be a Wii U exclusive, which is a shame, but regardless of the fact that I'll never get to play it it WAS very impressive. Definately worth a look.

Oh, also, the trailer is 18 rated :p

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Updated my post above with the last of my ratings.

Also, I am now markedly less excited about ZombiU following Nintendo's Press Conference. What a disappointment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 pm

M.Steiner
Nintendo had the worst conference but it's not like we didn't expect that hehe
"Holiday" release window for their Wii-U but no specific date or price.

ZombiU didn't look all that bad really but nothing special, it's trailer came across much better than the game itself.
Personally I thought Lego City looked quite fun and was probably the best they had to show (which says a lot lol), wouldn't go out and buy a console for it though :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Moar Watch Dogs:
Also, on a tech note, it looks like Unreal 4 will have a hell of a lot to do to beat out the Luminous Engine. The graphics this shows off look amazing.
Finally, since I haven't said so yet, it was great as usual to experience the Press Conferences through IRC. Thanks to everyone for making it so much fun! :)

I'll have to make a habit from now on of taking the Monday/Tuesday of E3 off work. Was great to be able to be able to stay up for them all again - haven't been able to in a few years now due to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm

M.Steiner
Awesome thanks for linking those, Anny. Hadn't seen either :)
Very impressive tech demo, will be interesting to see how that compares to the footage of Unreal Engine 4 we get to see during tomorrows GTTV special.

Also for those not on IRC atm. BD linked this earlier:
David Cage was showing a 40 minute demo of this at E3 so this cam job must be a portion of the footage from that. Glad to see some of it has appeared on the net already, was hoping it would.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am

SL33PY
My impression so far:

Watch dogs: Game of the decade, biggest surprise and generally awesome. Can't way to blow 100€ for the ultra super rare edition with tons of useless dlc.

Ubisoft presentation: Line up is massive, presentation is shit, they need to work on that.

Sony presser: Nice decent, good build up, no high and mighty talk, but low footed we love you guys and thanks to our customers, which customers like of course. Some nice surprises as the AC3 exclusive day 1 dlc, hope to see some more of that.

Wii U... where do I start... I guess I just won't and keep it at the following "Too little, too late"

Sim City: looking solid, will probable throw hundreds of my life's limited amount of hours towards it.

Beyond: Story telling at it's best, little to no gameplay released, looks stunning, will have to wait. Also I still have to buy heavy rain at heavy discount :)

Last of us: Emmie is the only point I have massive problems with. She used to be a teenager (around 16-18) and they switched the character model to an early teen because it fits the story better. Which in itself I don't mind. What I do mind and find incredibly annoying is that they just switched the character model, but didn't change the voice or her lines. The language that is coming out of that 10-13 year old girl is ... foul to say the least. Her actions also don't really portray what a general girl at that age would do, although looking at the circumstances... you have some waylay there. But the voice actress, I'm very VERY sorry, she has to go. The voice does fit the original character and it's good acting, but layered upon the youngteen it's abysmal and it totally disturbs the magic.

Final Fantasy: one word "Meh"

Far Cry 3: will play, but after the price went down.

Dishonored: Looking really solid, will be hard for me not to cave in and buy it d1, but since I put myself on a gaming budget I do need to select and sometimes wait for prices to come down.
Edit: Dishonored addendum, I just saw the trailer a second time. I must say that I hope that it will be released on pc, with higher res textures, resolutions and better shader effects. Also some of the blood spatter needs work, I know I'm being very critical about this title, but to be a real top contender, they should get those things fixed to get me really hyped.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Lee
thanks for filtering the chaff. tried looking for decent e3 info when it started but that didnt go too well.

watchdogs is a brilliant concept and the gameplay footage shows it clearly ready for awards. hopefully they havent gone to repetitive on missions (or side missions to pad it out).

that FF trailer / realtime render does look pretty amazing, but i bought ff13 based on history and cinematics (both excellent) and it was almost a complete waste of money (grumpy, it wasnt awful otherwise i wouldnt have finished it)

off to look at sim city. its been a very long time my old first generation meglomaniac friend!

i approve of the 'new' direction of story driven content ie. playing a movie. I only bother looking at FPS every two or three years - they are all the same, regardless of what anybody says.
wouldnt have bothered with nintendo anyway, MS has been derided quite a bit as a presentation and havent seen what sony really brought. manufacturers should probably leave stuff to the publishers...

certainly looks like an impressive year.
Eeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
For the record I'm not interested in any new FF games either. The franchise is dirt these days, and my only ties to it are my constant replays of FF7-10 :)

I linked the trailer mainly to show off the tech, which is pretty amazing imo. Will make for some stunning games built in it - just hope those games are something a bit better than FF and thus worth my time!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:35 pm

M.Steiner
Well after seeing all of the E3 coverage this week I decided to take the plunge and get a PS3 already. Have been putting it off for a while now but the games I wanna play on it are certainly starting to stack enough to make buying a console for them actually worth it. I already own a blu-ray player so that was never a big selling point and I wouldn't have used it to play anything that was playable on PC. Anyhow, think there's at least 15 off the top of my head which I want & can't play on PC or 360 and that's not including unreleased games like The Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Beyond, Ni no Kuni, Final Fantasy X HD, FF Versus 13 or Agent.

Quite excited to finally be able to play the likes of MGS4, Heavy Rain, Uncharted series, inFamous, Ico & SotC HD Collection etc etc. PSN also has FF7/8/9 (afaik) which would be a nice alternative to digging my old console out or emulating them :D
Getting to see gameplay footage of The Last of Us and then Beyond: Two Souls was the final nudge I needed really. No way I'm missing out on those as well :)

Also from this morning - Unreal Engine 4 vids:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclu ... ine/731871
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclu ... ine/731875
(Haven't watched just yet, will be doing shortly)

Return to “General Discussions”