For anyone with a Sony product: Compulsory ads

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

For anyone with a Sony product: Compulsory ads

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:26 am

Stracius
Thoughts? Overblown? Unconfirmed? Retarded?

On face value I'd say it's just a patent for the sake of patent trolling (i.e. they get it before anyone else and can then sue for incredulous damages if someone else figures out how to make a profit from it). On the other hand, I'm now less inclined to invest in a PS3 or any future Sony consoles/products.

I know there was a bit of an uproar a few years back about games featuring in-game advertising, similar to movie or television product placement, but I haven't seen much fallout from it as of yet. Different beast? My head stuck in the sand? I can understand watching a TV series on Hulu - occasionally breaking for the occasional adverts - but paying 30-60$ for a game and getting the same treatment? Nope.
Gizmag wrote: The development hints that, in future, in-game advertising may adopt a model much closer to commercial television.
I already don't watch TV anymore and don't miss it at all if only because I found the advertisements uninteresting at best, and detestable at worst. Don't even get me started on the decibel level changes between programs and adverts with most networks. Hell, even the legal system in the states has been getting caught up in a somewhat similar mess. I suspect some/most/all network companies would make TV remotes illegal if they could.

Re: For anyone with a Sony product: Compulsory ads

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm

M.Steiner
Disgusting idea if this becomes anything more. If you buy a game you should get to play it uninterrupted, loading screens can be enough sometimes depending on the game. One shouldn't have to sit through advertisments when you've paid for the product and stuff like this will ruin any kind of immersion. If anything they should use it as an alternative form of DRM against piracy which wouldn't be quite so bad at all imo, if it would be possible. If it detects that you're playing an illegal copy you get to sit through some lovely adverts but those who bought & supported the game stay ad-free. I'd back something like that long before Blizzard and their worse than Ubi "always-on" monstrosity. Oh and queing up even if you're playing single-player.. never heard anything so ridiculous. Speaking of which. Aside from the people who have absolutely no problem with any level of DRM, which I'd assume is a small minority. The PC gamers who have complained about DRM measures in the past but were one of the 6.3+ million who went out and bought that should give themselves a big pat on the back for helping to support such schemes. [Want some draconian DRM with that?. Yes please!]. Sends the wrong message and just shows game companies that some gamers will eat any shit up just to play their game. Stuff like this frustrates me tbh lol... some PC gamers only have themselves to blame :shake:

I watch plenty of tv dramas but whilst I'm used to adverts I record everything I don't watch at my pc with Sky+ so I just skip through all the ads. Takes just a few secs of inconvenience and then I'm back to watching my programme, no problem really. If I buy something on blu-ray when it's released however I would never expect to find adverts during an episode of it, or anywhere on the disk for that matter. Nor should I.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Think it's a really terrible idea honestly.

I just don't understand why companies seem to just keep giving people more and more reasons to pirate games when they're wanting to crackdown on piracy. Not that I'm saying I approve of piracy as a result of this, but it just seems to be another another egg into the basket to me...
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Zephir
Current attempts at monetization of games is really getting out of hand, what with DLC being sold on the first day a game is relased, and possibility of being forced to view advertising.

Now following on the heels of CoD Elite, we have the latest from EA http://www.fpsguru.com/game/60/article/ ... irmed.html

While I have no problem with them charging for a premium service that offers access to future DLC for a fixed cost while I can still purchase the individual DLC when it is released, and I have no issue with "premium" subscribers getting extra customization options and such so long as they don't affect game balance, there is one thing in the "Premium" package that I think really crosses the line.

Premium subscribers get server queue priority over non subscribers. This is frankly riduculous for one it will mean if you want to play on the most popular servers you will have to be a premium subscriber to stand any chance of getting in, and also worth considering is the fact that the "servers" are not in fact owned by EA. There are currently no EA owned servers, all servers are leased by players/clans, so why should EA be allowed to control who gets priority access to a server that EA does not pay to support.

To be honest I'm getting really fed up of the game publishers monetization attempt wehter it's withholding content/features to make you pay for them later or draconion DRM systems that attempt to stamp out piracy.

Playing games is really starting to suck :smack:
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Lee
got to agree. seems like every dirtbag in the industry is trying to ruin it.

if it did look like sony was going this way i woud simply not bother with their products, i am sure a few of us have simply 'not bothered' with things spitefully for similar reasons.

if they want to drive me away... maybe i can find something else to throw my money at.

edit: good find btw. read a few sites and that hasnt cropped up anywhere i have seen...
Eeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 am

esd
The way they did ads in Mercenaries 2 was quite good - billboards existed in the game, and the game downloaded ads and put them on them.

Unfortunately when they killed the ad server, they killed the game. Yup, EA.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
esd wrote:The way they did ads in Mercenaries 2 was quite good - billboards existed in the game, and the game downloaded ads and put them on them.
I think whether or not that would be acceptable would depend on both the ads and the game for me.

If they wanted to do Coke product placement in Call of Duty or something, I wouldn't really mind. That said though, if they tried to do it in The Witcher 2 I'd be a lot more upset! :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:39 am

Isileth
They did that in Anarchy Online, however they only displayed for free players and had video ads as well.

I actually quite liked them. You would be walking around a vast futuristic metropolis and the new Lost trailer would be playing on a giant board. Gave the cities a bit more life and colour. But of course it is totally dependant on which ads are used and sadly I dont trust companies to put up those that would fit in with the game over those that make them the most money.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:32 am

Futile Resistance
Isileth wrote:They did that in Anarchy Online...
I remember when they had the ads for the U.S. Marines in Planetside 1. I was changing my certs and heard this very faint "the few, the proud..." play every minute. I finally turned around and noticed the ad behind my avatar :sweat:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Futile Resistance wrote:
Isileth wrote:They did that in Anarchy Online...
I remember when they had the ads for the U.S. Marines in Planetside 1. I was changing my certs and heard this very faint "the few, the proud..." play every minute. I finally turned around and noticed the ad behind my avatar :sweat:
Video ads? Now that's completely different - I'm opposed to those completely.

Return to “General Discussions”