Cities: Skylines - Calling all SimCity fans

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Cities: Skylines - Calling all SimCity fans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:28 pm

M.Steiner
I posted a preview to this in the 2015 thread not so long ago but since I expect it will fly under the radar for a lot of folk and it looks like it could be the SimCity that SimCity wanted to be (and more), I thought I'd create a thread for it. They've just announced the release date today (in the trailer below) so have a looksie and see. As several of us here played SimCity at release or have been long-term fans of that series I expect this will appeal to a few of you too. Actually looks really great! :)

Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city whilst expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience. From the makers of the Cities in Motion franchise, the game boasts a fully realized transport system. It also includes the ability to mod the game to suit your play style as a fine counter balance to the layered and challenging simulation. You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky!

Main features:
[list]
[*]Multi-tiered and challenging simulation: Constructing your city from the ground up is easy to learn, but hard to master. Playing as the mayor of your city you’ll be faced with balancing essential requirements such as education, water, electricity, police, fire fighting, healthcare and much more along with your citys real economy system. Citizens within your city react fluidly, with gravitas and with an air of authenticity to a multitude of game play scenarios.
[*]Extensive local traffic simulation: Colossal Orders extensive experience developing the Cities in Motion series is fully utilized in fully fleshed out and well-crafted transport systems.
[*]Districts and Policies: Be more than just an administrator from city hall. Designating parts of your city as a district results in the application of policies which results in you rising to the status of Mayor for your own city.
[*]Extensive modding support: Build or improve on existing maps and structures. You can then import them into the game, share them as well as download the creations of other city builders on the Steam workshop.[/color][/list]
citysize.jpg
citysize.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 26402 times
Worth a look too - Cities: Skylines – Dev Diary 9: Info Views

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Pre-order is up on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/

Deals:
Cities: Skylines | £17.47 [£22.99][/size]
· GMG VIP offer, no discount code required. Redeems on Steam.

Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition | £22.79 [£29.99][/size]
· GMG VIP offer, no discount code required. Redeems on Steam.

Releases next month (March 10th), though you'll know that already if you watched the trailer ;)
Just about to pre-purchase it myself. Only 4 weeks away too! :D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Cities: Skylines - Calling all SimCity fans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Isileth
Been following the dev diaries of this, hope it turns out as good as they are promising. Will certainly be waiting to see some in depth reviews of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 am

M.Steiner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:55 pm

M.Steiner
Nobody else?. Thought we'd have a lot more folk interested in this :confused:
Last post for now..

Paradox did a live stream of the game earlier this afternoon which was a great watch. There's an archive of said stream here (skip to 01:07:00 (of 04:26:39) for Cities: Skylines) :)
I've been following this game since just before Christmas but it just keeps looking better and better and has been shooting its way up my most anticipated list ever since. If they deliver, I can honestly see this as a GOTY contender for me. Let's hope so because as I say, it's everything SimCity should have been & more. Really excited for it ^^

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:15 pm

BlackDove
Sim City ruined city building games for me. I'm done.

This one looks good tho.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I might try this when it launches. Had my eye on SimCity for a while after it launched as I felt like trying that kind of game, but the issues it had put me off. By the time Lirik rekindled my interest, general interest had died.

Though my gaming backlog is currently ginormous, so it might take a while before I get to it even after it launches! :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Whizbang
I'm interested in the game and am monitoring it but I won't commit to it until I can see more. After SimCity and the fiasco that was, I'm a bit leery towards the next city building sim.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:21 am

M.Steiner
Mechanus wrote:I'm interested in the game and am monitoring it but I won't commit to it until I can see more.
Anubis wrote:I might try this when it launches. Had my eye on SimCity for a while after it launched as I felt like trying that kind of game, but the issues it had put me off. By the time Lirik rekindled my interest, general interest had died.
Speaking of Lirik (and since you're both fans of his too), he's spoken about the game a few times on his stream and had trailers for it playing etc so I expect he'll be streaming it in March. It was on his stream where I first heard about the game iirc :)

I'll update with some review links when the time comes (and my own impressions) but the 35min YouTube vid above and the Twitch archive stream are both worth a watch if you're looking to see more. Lots of Q&A in the twitch one too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:49 pm

M.Steiner
Isi will have seen this covered in the dev diaries already but this guy has some good vids:
So hyped.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:28 pm

M.Steiner
Just a quick heads-up but Lirik will be streaming this today if any of you want to check it out :D
His streams start at 5pm GMT though it may or may not be the first game he plays. Guessing he'll play battle royale or something first but I may be wrong.

TotalBiscuit is streaming it right this minute too :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 pm

NF
Arbiter
Just watching the stream now and I must admit I'm quite liking the look of the game..
NF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:26 am

M.Steiner
Been watching streams of this all evening and it really does look fantastic. Haven't seen 1 thing which has bugged me or left me unsure. I guess todays footage must have gone down well with others too as it's #3 in the top sellers on Steam right now. Roll on Tuesday! :D

Just been having a watch of this guy's city too. If you skip towards the end where he's built stuff up, he's only built into 3 of 9 tiles there. Just 1 of those being the max grid size in SimCity 2013 heh. So good.

Currently £16.78 from GMG's VIP selection if anyone else has been tempted! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:24 pm

SL33PY
it's tempting... I'll have to think about it a bit more, I'm not completely convinced

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Kon
I have to echo everyone's thoughts on this. SimCity was so bad it might have killed the genre. City builders will be confirmed dead if this game doesn't live up to the hype, so I do hope it comes through. I might pick it up on a 75% off sale if the reviews are good, but I can't say I have a huge interest in this genre anymore.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:12 pm

M.Steiner
Kondratev wrote:I have to echo everyone's thoughts on this. SimCity was so bad it might have killed the genre.
No way. I'd say I've come across more people who are excited over Skylines because of how SimCity turned out than those choosing to be cautious over it or whatever. This is from a different developer & publisher entirely and from watching several hours worth of streams this week, they appear to have nailed it. Focusing on SP rather than trying to shoehorn multi in there, huge cities (and you can even mod them bigger), day one mod support, the return of power & water lines, dams etc.
Most of the hype around this has actually been generated from streamers I would say. Viewers have clearly liked what they've been watching (and not just carefully selected bits of footage from trailers) as it has been sitting very comfortably as the #1 seller on both Steam & GMG. Viewing figures on twitch have been up there with the likes of Dota 2 at times which is crazy.

You can't get much cheaper than $21 for a brand new release either (GMG VIP offer). Definitely something I want to support at release, this game ain't gonna suck :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 pm

BlackDove
I actually watched some of the game with Paradox streaming it.

It seems way way better than SimCity. Not just the size but the depth as well.

I really wish them luck with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:24 pm

M.Steiner
Kondratev wrote:I might pick it up on a 75% off sale if the reviews are good
Just to touch on the price again but it's actually cheaper to buy Cities: Skylines right now (with the GMG VIP deal for $21) than it is to buy SimCity ( $30). That's just the base game too btw, I'm not including SimCity's expanion in there (but even with that Skylines offers so much more heh) :lol:

I'll be sure to post a list of reviews when they start flooding in but to compare it again I paid £37/$56 for SimCity on release. At $21 this is not only very reasonable but incredibly cheap too. I wish more games were priced like this, they deserve props and support just for that :)

Here's a single review I found (think they may have broken the embargo so expect the others tomorrow) [Edit: Yep, they've taken it down now]:
http://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/citi ... view/12173

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:44 pm

M.Steiner
As promised:

IncGamers - 10/10
The Escapist - 5/5
CalmDownTom - 5/5
Gaming Nexus - 9.5/10
GameInformer - 8.75/10
PC Gamer - 8.6/10
GameWatcher - 8.5/10
IGN - 8.5/10
TheSixthAxis - 8/10
Total Gaming Network - 4/5
PCWorld - 4/5
LGR - No Score
RPS - No Score

The city builder we have been waiting for, as expected.
What are you waiting for?, go support it! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:33 pm

M.Steiner
I uploaded a vid of my first city to YouTube btw:
Few screenshots too:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Just to further comment on traffic (since Anny asked me about that yesterday). From the 12hrs I've played of it I would say that most traffic issues (maybe all) can be avoided with proper and careful planning. If you go about placing roads here there and everywhere without thinking about what you're doing then you'll likely run into a few probs at some point. I've experienced a few instances of heavy/backed up traffic in certain areas myself but #1 - I had always caused them myself and #2, they were fixable. Unlike the last SimCity, we not only have lots more tools (and policies) to our advantage here as a way of dealing with such things but lots of space to do that in too. One of my industrial areas is a little busy right now but when I go back on I'll be looking to hook that district up to a cargo rail for example.

If you have any interest in city builders then this is a must buy. I can't see why you wouldn't love it :)
Still available at GMG for £16.78 | $21.89 too - http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/ (need to log in and the key redeems on Steam).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:29 pm

NF
Arbiter
Pretty fun looking mod for you all:

http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skyline-f ... e-streets/
NF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:41 am

M.Steiner
Any of you got some screenshots to share? :)

Few more of my city now it's a bit bigger:
Image Image

Also some mods you may like:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:00 am

BlackDove
They just sold 500 000+ copies without any marketing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:13 pm

M.Steiner
Yep. The game sells itself basically.
I was just saying on IRC the other night that with continued support (both from the devs themselves and the modding community), Skylines could quite easily surpass SimCity 4 for me. Not bad for a team which was only around 9 people (though I'm sure they've grown a little since) :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:54 pm

NF
Arbiter
NF

Return to “General Discussions”