E3 2015

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: E3 2015

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 am

M.Steiner
Lovely, thanks for posting the archive link dude. Added to the schedule above :)
I didn't stay up to watch it live since I'm gonna be doing that tonight for Sony (and the PC Gaming Show on Tue) but I'll give it a watch at some point this morning/afternoon. Looking forward to seeing Dishonored 2 & Fallout 4. Not so interested in Doom or Battlecry but I'll give both a chance and see what they look like. I know Viktor Antonov has been working on the latter which is a plus (Half-Life 2, Dishonored art).

Anyhow, hope to see some of you on IRC this evening for the big 4! All kicks off at:
M.Steiner wrote:09:30 PDT | 12:30 EDT | 17:30 BST | 18:30 CEST
:thumb:

[Edit]
Kondratev wrote:and a new female lead with different powers.
For those of you who played Dishonored and have yet to watch the conference - This new female lead is actually Emily Kaldwin. You'll be able to choose between playing as her or Corvo.
I approve :D

[Edit 2]
I'll be honest here, I was looking forward to seeing Fallout 4 but wasn't expecting it to look quite as good as it did. Actually really <censored> great.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:50 am

SL33PY
Must have
Image €129.99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:58 pm

SL33PY
btw microsoft e3 pres at 5:30 uk 6:30 cet

moar details:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/87789 ... ive-stream

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:32 pm

M.Steiner
Not long now. I'll be watching the YouTube coverage with Geoff Keighley. Link here and in the schedule at the start of this thread :thumb:

I'm probably least excited for Microsoft's conference atm. Apart from multi-platform title appearances which could be anyones guess really, Rise of the Tomb Raider is about the only game I can think of which I'm expecting them to show and which I'd like to see more of. Quantum Break & Crackdown won't be there according to what I've read and I have no interest in Halo, Gears or Forza. Could still be a good show but I'm far more pumped for the other 3 atm.
Either way, exciting times ahead!

(Also, I can't decide whether to pre-order the pip-boy edition or not. Heart says yes, head says control yourself.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:10 am

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll do a bigger write up tomorrow when I'm awake, but I have no words about that showing from Sony.

99/10. The best E3 presser of all time. It'll never be topped - unbelievable. MS are in so much trouble.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:53 am

M.Steiner
Still in shock after Sony's show. Best conference in the history of E3, without a doubt. I knew the minute they OPENED with The Last Guardian we were in for one hell of a show but I never expected all 3 of those games (TLG, Shenmue 3 & FFVII Remake) to make an appearance. My god.
Didn't end there either, the show was packed full of goodies (Horizon being another highlight for me, and ofc Uncharted 4). Wow. Well done, Sony. Well done.

Shenmue 3 is something I've waited half my life for. Words cannot describe how happy I was to see that appear and let's not even begin with the other 2. I'm on cloud nine right now.
FFVII Reaction and another
:D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:30 am

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:
#1 - Final Fantasy VII
Surprised? :p
I'll always have a soft spot for FFVII as it was the first Final Fantasy title which introduced me to the series and one of the first RPGs I experienced too. Awesome story, one of the best casts of characters and my no1. video game soundtrack too. Bloody brilliant.
Oh and the materia system was the best out of all the FF titles I've played, don't care what anyone else thinks! :p :)

#3 - Shenmue
Amazingly innovative game which was years ahead of its time. Those of you who were wise & lucky enough to play this (and Shenmue II) back when it released will no doubt hold it dear to your heart. - Shenmue also held the title for being the most expensive video game ever created up until that time and for nearly a decade afterwards, this was until GTAIV dethroned it in 2008.
Sadly this shares a similarity to Bloodlines. Far too few people experienced it at the time and it suffered poor sales. It is a travesty that this series hasn't been completed and that some gamers probably haven't even heard of it let alone played it. Very sad but I will never lose hope that we may, one day, get a Shenmue III heh.
:D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:10 pm

NF
Arbiter
Have to say I loved the new Star Wars footage.. appreciate it won't revolutionise the FPS world but man have they captured the feeling of the SW universe. Can't wait.
NF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:32 pm

M.Steiner
[Edit1: Added Nintendo & Square Enix & rotated MS & EA]
[Edit2: Added PC Gaming Show]
  • #1 Sony
    Highlights? The entire conference really, but - The Last Guardian, FFVII Remake, Shenmue 3, Uncharted 4, Horizon, No Mans Sky, trailers for Firewatch & Hitman... Have I missed anything? <censored> everything lol. This show will go down in history and I honestly can't see how they (or anyone else) could ever top it. Was magical to watch live and 10/10 just doesn't do it justice tbh. Legendary. Tears were shed this night, well done, Sony.
  • #2 Ubisoft
    If Sony hadn't KILLED it with their conference straight after, this would have been #1 for me. Extremely solid show with lots of surprises throughout. My highlights being the new South Park (was NOT expecting that!), Anno (or that!), Ghost Recon (or this! lol), R6, The Division, AC Syndicate & For Honor. Ubi always deliver though so I was expecting this to be good. So many Ubi games to be excited for now.
  • #3 Square Enix
    Could have done with less talking inbetween but they too had a solid lineup of games to show and a couple surprises thrown in too. Highlights for me would have to be Deus Ex & the new Hitman. DE looks bloody sweet (as expected) but I think the new Hitman could be very special if they deliver on it. Absolution was a huge sack of shit but this new one promises exactly what I wanted from a new Hitman title; Proper sandbox level design, freedom of approach etc and new locations & missions will be added over time as well. Exciting stuff.
    Other highlights: Kingdom Hearts III, Just Cause 3, NieR, Tomb Raider, Project Setsuna & Star Ocean. Good show.
  • #4 Bethesda
    Their first ever E3 conference too but they pulled it off well. Super thrilled to have a new Dishonored game on the way (dat trailer! <3) and Fallout 4 looked MUCH better than I imagined it would and I was already pumped for it. Why can't Fallout Shelter be available on PC or at least Android though?! Anyway.. No filler shit and straight to the point. DOOM? Gameplay looks fun and graphically very nice but I think I'd probably get bored of the SP quite quickly as I'm not expecting much of a story heh. Love the artstyle of Battlecry but the gameplay looked REALLY clunky to me. Not something I'd be interested in. ESO? Meh..
  • #5 MS
    I've forgotten most of it after Sony's bombs. My highlight? Probably The Dark Souls III trailer as that DID look fantastic but It's multiplatform ofc. HoloLens & backwards compatibility are the other 2 things I remember being good though. The former looked very impressive but just how true/accurate was that? Backwards compatibility was a great move from them as well and I'm sure a lot of Xbox fans are happy about that. Tomb Raider would have been another highlight for me and something I was actually excited for seeing but the gameplay section they showed was extremely heavy on the scripted shit. Surely they could have picked something better than that? Oh and to release as an Xbone exclusive on the same day as Fallout 4? are they mad? Sorry MS, I'm happy for the fans of both but Halo looked like all the others and Gears looked like shit too imo. Edit: Recore & Ashen highlights too. Forgot those.
  • #6 PC Gaming Show
    I wasn't sure what to make of this initially but for their first show I think it was a really good effort. Loved the format change (once I got into it) which made for a really refreshing change from the other conferences. A nice variety of games on show (even if many of them didn't appeal to me personally) and the host did a fantastic job and was entertaining to watch. He carried the show pretty much.
    My critique would be that I'd like to see more new & exclusive footage next time, as a lot of what was shown we'd already seen. The other thing would be to have the visuals of their games showing in the background (or cut to audio only as it goes full screen) as they're talking rather than afterwards. That doesn't work quite as well with a talk show as it does for a conference imo, so tighten that up a little so it doesn't slow the show down too much and they can get through more games that way too.
    My highlight was the Planet Coaster reveal. The trailer we got for the latest Roller Coaster Tycoon a few months ago looked like absolute garbage so this will hopefully make up for that. A new RCT has been up there with Sim City for me for most wanted games so this was a pleasant surprise. First Cities: Skylines and now this by the looks of it. Fingers crossed it turns out well!
  • 7# EA
    Mirror's Edge: Catalyst was easily the star of the show for me and was worth sitting through the rest for. Battlefront on the other hand.. it DID look good but I was kinda disappointed by it at the same time, I won't lie. I still want to see more of it though and give it a try for myself. I do have faith in DICE. It's a shame they didn't launch a beta for it straight after the conference though (like they did with Hardline) was really hoping for that, kept myself logged into the Origin site all evening just incase lol. "Unravel" was a really nice surprise too I thought, as was the Mass Effect teaser. The SWTOR expansion is also something I'd be interested in trying at some point, though probably when it's free to all. Other than that though? Can't think of anything else. Oh, and wtf was that story section with Pele? Jesus Christ lol. I hate their sports section as it is but that just sucked the life outta it.
  • #8 Nintendo
    I was always a Sega kid growing up so I've never really been into Nintendo games tbh. Saying that, if they'd have shown the new Zelda game some more or announced a new Pikmin, Lego City Undercover 2 or something like that I'd have been all over those. Joshi looked nice but that was about it. As a Sony fan and given the incredible show we got this morning/last night, I feel really sorry for Nintendo fans. I'd be sooo disappointed if this was my only system or I'd just bought one recently. Edit - This and this look great. Either they weren't in the show (or got very little screen time) or they appeared when I almost fell asleep.

Worth a mention as well was the new 6 minute MGSV trailer which premiered on YouTube inbetween conferences. I'd put that up there with my top highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think for me, I'd rank them the following:
  • #1 Sony
    99/10.
    This was just unbelievable. TLG, FF7 remake AND Shenmue 3? It was absurd. Still don't understand or accept exactly what went on last night. And even those bombshells aside, I think Horizon Zero Dawn is possibly the best new IP of the show too. Just a superb conference from start to end. Well played.
  • #2 Ubisoft
    8/10.
    This was a very strong conference, and so very well presented. Not everything in there was for me, and most of it wasn't even aimed at me, but it was a stunning presser. Very very excited for the second South Park game (which completely blindsided me) and for AC Syndicate.
  • #3 Square Enix
    7/10.
    Far, far too much talking, but the games mostly made up for it. Just Cause 3 and Deus Ex both look superb, and Hitman could well end up great too if they play their cards right. I was disappointed by the ROTT and FF7 showings, but I suppose the cat was well out of the bag on those. Good show.
  • 4# Microsoft
    5/10.
    There was SOME decent stuff in this one, but it was mostly off base. Ashen and Recore caught my eye especially, and ROTT looked fabulous as expected. Backwards compatibility is a big deal, complete or not, as are the mods for Fallout 4. Those were all good. Halo and Gears were letdowns, albeit predictable letdowns - those franchises are getting very tired now. Also, the loss of their CoD exclusivity deal to Sony was a hammerblow for MS. I'm not a CoD guy myself, but most of their core players ARE. This wouldn't have been too bad a conference if Sony hadn't had one, but in the wider context it got absolutely crushed. MS are out for the count..
  • #5 EA
    2/10.
    Well, they had a couple of games that interested me. Mass Effect Andromeda, obviously FIFA, and The Old Republic expansion. But most of this was dross. The big hitters in Mirrors Edge, Need for Speed and Madden do nothing for me. Also, presentationally this conference was abysmal. The Pele segment was DREADFUL - they couldn't shut him up and he wasn't even on about the game! Just shocking. Go away EA.
  • #6 Nintendo
    -99/10.
    The worst E3 conference of all time. There are no words. Not one redeeming quality, save the puppets dancing.

I didn't watch Bethesda, as I hate Bethesda, so not ranking that one. Also, probably worth saying that just because I rank the conferences as above, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the order of companies that offered most for me. It isn't.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:19 am

SL33PY
#1 Sony - Would have gotten me to buy a PS4 if they'd dropped a PS4 Slim edition (with the light price that comes with it)

#2 Bethesda - Fallout4 "<censored> Yea!"
#3 Microsoft - Hololens has gotten me really psyched for some time now, not only for gaming.
#4 Square Enix - Deus Ex, Hitman

#5-7 Ubisoft, EA and Nintendo
Ubisoft is on my shitlist, they have nice trailers, but deliver generic games with copy paste game mechanics and different story sauce, and I'm sick of it. I no longer buy into their spin. I have been dissapointed in their stuff too many a times.

EA's line-up: <insert sport franchise>2016, generic reboots of older franchises, yaddi yadda *yawn*

Nintendo - nobody even knows why the <censored> they even attended in the first place, E3 isn't a toy fair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:19 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:#1 Sony - Would have gotten me to buy a PS4 if they'd dropped a PS4 Slim edition (with the light price that comes with it)
How slim can you get? The thing is already tiny! lol :p
SL33PY wrote:Ubisoft is on my shitlist, they have nice trailers, but deliver generic games with copy paste game mechanics and different story sauce, and I'm sick of it. I no longer buy into their spin. I have been dissapointed in their stuff too many a times.
I do and I don't agree with that, personally.

I agree that they need to stop with the copy pasting of the mechanics with some of their games but whilst I have been disappointed by a couple of their last releases, the good stuff they have released far outweigh the ones which didn't live up to expectations.
AC Unity & Watch Dogs I was disappointed with, yes. I still enjoyed both, they just didn't live up to their promise. I said it at the time though but if Watch Dogs 2 does to that series what Assassin's Creed 2 did for AC, WD2 could be really amazing. Like Assassin's Creed 1 they had the right idea, it just wasn't quite there yet.

AC Rogue on the other hand was actually pretty great I thought (despite it being cross-gen). So were Far Cry 3 & 4, Valiant Hearts, SC Blacklist, Black Flag if we're to go further back with AC. Rayman Origins & Legends are two of the best platformers I've ever played and I've racked up over 300hrs on Rocksmith 2014. So yeah, sure they've let me down a couple of times but they have and still are delivering the goods.

Each to their own though ;)

(Added my thoughts on the PC Gaming Show in my post above too btw)

Return to “General Discussions”