Any Beatles fans here?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Any Beatles fans here?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:58 pm

M.Steiner
Some of my earliest memories are of singing along to Yellow Submarine and asking my Mum to play it again and again heh. First album cassette tape I ever owned was a Beatles one that my Gran had given me, and were one of the reasons I wanted to learn guitar as a kid. As my tastes in music changed throughout my childhood & teens, there's only one band (and each of them individually) which I never fell out of love with and actually grew to love and appreciate more and more over the years and that's The Beatles. Not surprising I suppose as they're still arguably the biggest, most successful and most influential band in the history of music. Their music is timeless.

Anyhow. I never imagined that one day I would be in the presence of a legend (I still couldn't believe I was going to see him on the way there tbh) but I was lucky enough to see Sir Paul McCartney in his hometown of Liverpool last night. A once in a lifetime experience pretty much and certainly one I'll never forget.

I recorded a few vids from the show, thought I'd share them:
Setlist:
Setlist.jpg
Setlist.jpg (172.54 KiB) Viewed 6850 times
40 songs over 3 hours, no breaks. He's still got it no matter what anyone says.
I recorded more btw but haven't decided which other vids to upload yet. Anyone got any requests? I'll see if I have them :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Any Beatles fans here?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:05 am

Whizbang
Live and Let Die wasn't Beatles. Just an FYI. :p

And my dad raised me on the Beatles back when I was a child in the late Seventies, but of course you know of my love for all things Beatles. I own their entire Discography as well as have always talked with you about their solo careers. Macca was always a solid musician as was Harrison and Lennon.

I watched the vids you posted via Twitter and can say that you had some wonderful seats for that show. Glad that you got to enjoy your day in the life of one Beatle. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:59 am

Ozone
Excellent!
My first musical purchase ever was...
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (8 track)
The Beatles 67-70 (vinyl)
John Lennon's Shaved Fish (vinyl)
Soon I went back to the store (back when there were used record shops) and picked up every Beatles album they had.*
I remember a few weeks later, as I was loving this stuff and couldn't get enough, watching the 'we interrupt this program to bring you news of...' of John Lennon's assassination. I remember leaving my room to tell my Mom and Dad only to find my Mom already sobbing on the living room couch.
They defined a generation and defined all music to follow.
I lived in the UK for 10 years, and though not searching anything out in specifics, I wrote my name on the Abbey Roads Studios sign, walked the crosswalk, and had a few pints in the Cavern Club (under its modern incarnation).
To this day, though not a Beatles fanatic, I don't believe a group of 4 people has ever come together to create such an overall powerful impact in all levels of society. I love Punk music, I love classical, I love Blues. In the Beatles I hear the classical and the blues combined to a sound that punk adapts. Seriously, who the F else could ever have accomplished that. 4 guys, right place, right circumstances, right time, bingo, uber-cash, uber-chicks, rock and roll lifestyle born.

Especially for me, I loved that he picked up a Uke for 'Something'. I have a Uke. I get ragged on for owning a Uke, I bought it a few years ago to play for my young son. It's fun, and it can get complex. With all due respect, I think Sir Paul can potentially take a few Uke lessons, in regard to Beatles songs, from Jake Shimabukuro (not a Beatle). And if you think Uke sounds horrible and is a simple instrument, jump to 2:30 and let it run for 30 seconds...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

I saw Sir Paul on the SNL special a few weeks back. Though legend, his voice is suffering a bit. Might be time for him to start thinking about laying low and enjoying that 10000000billion dollars. I'm sure he sounded fantastic live. Glad you enjoyed the show and jealous.

* Also still a huge Bowie fan, and given 1 desert island album, R&FoZS would be my top pick (but, saying that, Eno's Desert Island Selection...)
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:02 pm

M.Steiner
Mechanus wrote:Live and Let Die wasn't Beatles. Just an FYI. :p
Aye I know, I had to upload that one for the pyrotechnics though and was one of the highlights of the show for me :D

Mechanus wrote:And my dad raised me on the Beatles back when I was a child in the late Seventies, but of course you know of my love for all things Beatles. I own their entire Discography as well as have always talked with you about their solo careers. Macca was always a solid musician as was Harrison and Lennon.
Ozone wrote:To this day, though not a Beatles fanatic, I don't believe a group of 4 people has ever come together to create such an overall powerful impact in all levels of society. I love Punk music, I love classical, I love Blues. In the Beatles I hear the classical and the blues combined to a sound that punk adapts. Seriously, who the F else could ever have accomplished that. 4 guys, right place, right circumstances, right time, bingo, uber-cash, uber-chicks, rock and roll lifestyle born.
So true. I mean, their lasting achievement and influence as a band alone is incredible and will never be topped imo but when you put their solo efforts in there as well it's something else. I don't listen to much of Ringo's solo material admittedly, but John, Paul & George still went on to write some amazing music. "Imagine" is often regarded as one of the greatest songs of all time, not to mention all the other hits he had. All Things Must Pass from George is one of my favourite albums etc. I can't think of any other band which has had so many incredibly talented songwriters and musicians (supergroups like the Traveling Wilburys aside) who have done as much for music as they did.
Ozone wrote:I remember a few weeks later, as I was loving this stuff and couldn't get enough, watching the 'we interrupt this program to bring you news of...' of John Lennon's assassination. I remember leaving my room to tell my Mom and Dad only to find my Mom already sobbing on the living room couch.
:(

We went around The Beatles Story exhibition before the show too and made a day of it. Saw these in there which really touched me:
1.jpg
1.jpg (458.95 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (247.68 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (376.83 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (363.64 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (210.77 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
and a room done out like this, playing Imagine.
6.jpg
6.jpg (167.78 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
Crackin' choice of first music purchases too, Oz! I'd love to see Bowie live (I know Mech is a fan of his too) but I doubt I ever will, sadly. He'd be another "once in a lifetime" though if he did decide to tour again. David Gilmour would be another one and I was absolutely gutted when I saw that he'd announced a small number of dates, only a day or two later when they'd obviously sold out. Getting to see Paul made up for it though :)

Someone else on YouTube managed to get a good vid of Hey Jude:
Gonna upload another vid or two myself later today. Will post em in here when they're up!
[Edit: Uploaded these]
Here Today, kinda fitting after talking of John <3
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “General Discussions”