Fallout 4

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Fallout 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:39 am

Ash
Picked up Fallout 4 today and started having a dabble.

Interesting intro, nicely different from Fallout 3.

Anyone else started playing and have you any impressions?

Cheers

Ash
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

Re: Fallout 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:10 pm

M.Steiner
Ash wrote:Anyone else started playing and have you any impressions?
Aye, I've posted a few pics in the screenshots thread over here.
BD & Whizbang are playing it too, SL33PY also had it pre-ordered so I assume he's started it now as well. Not sure who else yet :)

Thoughts...
I've played around 22hrs so far (level 24 atm) but whilst I am enjoying it, it's not blowing me away and I do have several complaints with it already. For the most part it seems like more of the same (which isn't a bad thing!), though there are some nice new additions to it as well.
  • Not fond of the voiced protagonist so far. I have nothing against having one btw, just for the record. I know some people were. I just don't think the one in Fallout 4 (at least the male, can't comment on the female) works particularly well. Some of his/your responses don't always "fit" the situation and often comes across like he doesn't give a shit and are just carefree and unrelated, like he's not in character and just reading the lines off a piece of paper with no thought or feeling. Quite off-putting at times.
  • Graphics are actually quite nice on PC. Sure, they're nothing to write home about and by no means is it one of the best looking games I've played, but they're not as bad as some people are making them out to be. At least on PC. Don't know what people expected really as #1 It's a wasteland lol, and #2, Since when have Fallout games been renowned for their visuals? They're fine imo and a nice improvement over F3 & NV. I do wish they'd use a new engine though..... Here are some panorama's I took:
  • The dialogue wheel could be better at times. Tis not always clear what your character is going to say exactly.
  • I'm yet to play any quests which have really left me in awe like The Bloody Baron questline of TW3, or its expansion with Olgierd & O'Dimm for example. Some of the quests in that game evoked so many emotions which just don't compare to what I've played of Fallout 4 so far. They just seem kinda bland and lack depth. The writing in that game really was impeccable though... That being said it's early days so we'll see how things go. I'm liking what I've played of the main storyline and love my companion (Nick Valentine).
  • Love the soundtrack as always (could do with more of it), like the weapon customizations and the base building seems pretty good, though I need to properly try that.
  • No SLI support (yet) so I'm still only using one of my 970s. Pretty disappointing for such a huge release.
  • Bugs and lots of them. This really annoys me actually. Ubi didn't get let off with Unity. Neither did EA with BF4 at release, despite it still being a fantastic game... but because this is Bethesda and they (Obsidian too) have a reputation for releasing buggy/glitchy products, this is somehow acceptable now? Why? How can they continue putting stuff out like this and yet still get away with it? I'm sorry but as good a game as this may turn out to be in the end, they're taking the piss now. There are no excuses for it.
Will see what I think when I've finished it but at this point in time? It's good (despite the bugs etc) but it's coming up short against The Witcher 3 and (judging from those 22hrs) I've played other better games this year too. If there's anyone here who's only going to buy one more RPG this year and hasn't yet played TW3, I'd strongly recommend buying TW3 instead of FO4 right now. No question. I shall be sure to update if I feel otherwise once I've finished Fallout 4 though, as I can only judge from what I've played so far :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Ash
Cheers MS,
Currently having fun playing tag with the Deathclaw in Concord.
And I agree wholeheartedly that people should try Witcher 3.
Cheers
:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am

SL33PY
you can hack sli support... though for me the game started crashing after that, I need to test some more, just dl'ed new nvidia drivers, will try to play the game in sli without oc later

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:31 pm

M.Steiner
I have the latest drivers & forcing AFR2 was one of the first things I tried last week. It does give me a nice performance boost but it was causing my game to crash as well so had to revert it back. If the crashes were few and far between I'd be able to live with them but once it starts they start coming one after the other, making it unplayable basically. Have read of others forcing it via other ways (like borrowing bits from the SLI profiles of other games) but by the sounds if it that isn't without its own problems such as instability and some areas performing worse than before, along with added graphical issues. Just going to have to wait for them to get SLI in for real I think.

The annoying thing is, with proper SLI support I could probably be playing this at 4K/60 ultra :/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:18 pm

M.Steiner
Was just saying on IRC last night but I think I'm just going to push on with the main story now and get it finished asap. I'm still enjoying some of it but the game is really starting to feel like a chore now. In Beth games (I find) that it's usually the side-quests which shine whilst the main story is usually pretty crap. In 4? I'm finding myself wanting to focus on the main story, ignore most of the other stuff and just get the game finished so I can move on and play something different. Side-quests have been mostly dull I've found, the writing hasn't been particularly great, some of the voice acting (like the protagonist as previously mentioned) is really grating on me and the bugs (whilst I haven't had any game breaking ones or crashes other than when I was forcing SLI) have been damn annoying. It's not all bad but I wouldn't say it's been all that great either tbh. Even the base building, whilst good and an interesting addition to the game, feels tacked on to me. It's like "oh, you could build shit in Skyrim so lets find a way to include it in FO4 too". It does, and it doesn't feel like it has a purpose in the game. You could very easily play the entire game without touching it I think, other than when a quest requires you to build something. Like someone modded it in, almost.

Will see how I feel about the ending(s) and the main story as a whole once I'm done with it but at this moment in time I'm not sure where I'll be placing this on my 2015 GOTY list. I've said before that this year has been amazing for games but I don't think I'll be including FO4 in that statement, and atm I can't see it making my top 10 for the year either. TW3 was absolutely leagues ahead of this, I mean really. There's just no comparison. I'd rate Bloodborne much higher too, as I would Life is Strange (despite the disappointing finale), Tales from the Borderlands, Cities: Skylines etc etc. So many great games this year but I think FO4 will be joining my (very small) list of disappointments unfortunately. Thankfully I only have 2-3 of those so far this year; MGSV, Mad Max, and I'll include Arkham Knight as well since 5 months on and it's still not fully fixed on PC.

FO4 is better than 3 for its main story, definitely, but (at least from memory) I remember enjoying 3 more than 4 for its side content. New Vegas was better than 3 & 4 put together though imo. Given the reviews and the amount of Beth/FO fanboys out there (I honestly fail to see how this got 9s and 10s but then so did MGSV heh) I expect I'll be in a minority here but hey, to each their own. Now to get it finished so I can move on and play AC Syndicate, SW Battlefront & the Bloodborne expansion :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:43 pm

BlackDove
Way worse than New Vegas.

Better than Fallout 3.

What a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Whizbang
Approx. 25hr in so far, about lvl 13 or 14, spend way too much time gathering/scrapping everything up, have maxed out Charisma and have my Clean Blue Suit on to give me another +2 Chr, love Dogmeat as my companion, still learning about how to make all my settlements work for me.

All in all, I'd give this game at this point in my playthrough a 90%. I've not done much of the main quest but tons of side quests and settlement quests. I get gamer ADD when I start exploring and go down rabbit holes A LOT! :D
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Ozone
My son is singing 'Bingo Bango Bongo' all the time. As he's 4 he makes up the words, but there is a lot of 'farty' and 'poopyhead' in there.
As stated its much of the same with some minor tweaks. Of these I actually like that VATS slows time as opposed to stopping it, makes aiming a bit more dynamic and interesting.
I am having trouble with Dogmeat. He keeps getting left behind. Fortunately, as I'm a semi-completionist I keep finding him in areas I revisit. I've run through the command options, cycled through 'stay' and 'follow', but no dice. Every once in a while I notice that he's simply not there anymore.
For what its worth I built a small city at the drive in with all the parts I had on hand. Shame no-one living there and I'm unsure how to get people there if I wanted to. I'll probably not bother with that mechanic anymore and focus on weapons and armor.
Regardless, I'm liking it so far. Its Fallout :)

And that Deus Ex clip is hysterical. That's a game they should update as they did Grim Fandango.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:50 am

esd
I hate you all and I am not reading this thread. Some bloke called "Fat Chris" is apparently bringing it to me, near the end of December.

To reiterate: I hate you all.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 pm

SL33PY
I'll make it worse, I have it in my hands, yet don't play it

I actually refuse to play it until bethesda get SLI working properly

Return to “General Discussions”