Fav releases this year?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Fav releases this year?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:17 am

M.Steiner
So as we've just entered the last month of the year I thought we'd see what everyones favourite games have been this year!
Said so a few times already this year but 2015 really has been one of the best years of gaming in recent memory for me. Several games which over-delivered on their expectations, games which I wasn't expecting much from but blew me away and whilst there have been some disappointments here and there, they have been few and far between. A really fantastic year imo!

Here's my run-down.

MS' 2015 GAMES OF THE YEAR:[list]
[*]1: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
[*]2: Bloodborne (PS4)
[*]3: Tales from the Borderlands
[*]4: Until Dawn (PS4)
[*]5: Life is Strange
[*]6: Cities: Skylines
[*]7: Ori and the Blind Forest
[*]8: Assassin's Creed Syndicate
[*]9: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
[*]10: SOMA
[*]11: Star Wars Battlefront
[*]12: Dying Light
[*]13: Anno 2205
[*]14: Her Story
[*]15: Satellite Reign[/list]

I'd have limited this to a top 5 or a top 10 but just didn't think it was fair (or doable) given the amount of quality releases we've had this year. And no, I did not make a typo. Whilst I did get enjoyment out of both of them (despite being disappointed with them for different reasons), Fallout 4 and MGSV did not make my top 15. I've still to finish Telltale's Game of Thrones too so I'm not sure how that will end up ranking (and can't see myself going back to finish it before the end of the year), but atm? Tales from the Borderlands is their best game yet. Oh and I don't plan to buy Just Cause 3. Gameplay may look fun and it does look like a beautiful game but like with Just Cause 2, lack of story always leads me to getting bored of those games.

2015 REMASTERS:[list]
[*]1: Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
[*]2: Journey (PS4)
[*]3: Grim Fandango: Remastered
[*]4: Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
[*]5: Resident Evil HD Remaster[/list]

I decided to keep these out of the main list since even though I was playing some of them for the first time (Journey & Grim Fandango) and they were new to me and were new remasters for 2015, they're technically not new games. Considering there have been sooo many amazing new games this year I thought it would be fairer to list these off separately rather than give up slots in my main list for them. These (1-4 especially) were still fantastic though and well worth picking up. GTAV on PC made an already incredible game even better with all the improvements it brought, Journey was absolutely beautiful and something everyone should experience at least once, Grim was one of the best and most unique adventure games I've played and the Uncharted remasters are some of the best I've seen.

Biggest disappointment of the year?
Hmm. MGSV would definitely be one but at the same time I did love some of it, especially the gameplay which was easily the best in the series. Also loved some of the story, what was there of it... Fallout 4 would be another disappointment, as was The Order: 1886. The biggest though? Probably Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. Might be unfair of me to list it as such considering I haven't completed it but that's kinda the point. The state in which that launched was shocking (to say it was completely unplayable on PC is not an exaggeration) and the fact that they pulled it from sale only to re-release it 4 months later and yet STILL see it not completely fixed (and that they have officially given up on trying to get SLI working with it too), has been an absolute <censored> disgrace. A real shame as there could be a good game in there (the forced introduction of the Batmobile sections aside, which I hated as I expected I would). After all the problems with it though? Has left a very sour taste in my mouth and I'm not sure if I even want to play it now. All things said though, I think this and the introduction of Steam refunds will be a good thing for us as a dev/pub would have to be stupid to try and release something in that state again and think they can get away with it.

How about you guys?
Feel free to use these as recommendations for buying shit when the Christmas sales start in a few weeks. I know not all of you own a PS4 so will sadly miss out on titles like Bloodborne for the time being but do give some of the others a look if you haven't already. Hopefully you guys will have some games in your lists which I haven't played this year too and I can maybe pick those up in the sales myself as well! :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Fav releases this year?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:29 pm

SL33PY
the witcher 3

I was hoping fallout 4, but that game is fail :mad: :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:50 pm

NF
Arbiter
Has to be Rocket League for me. Keeps dragging me back in for just one more match...
NF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:03 am

BlackDove
It's Witcher 3.

Nothing else comes close.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:32 am

M.Steiner
The Witcher 3 / CDPR won:
- Best RPG
- Developer of the Year
- Game of the Year

at last nights #TheGameAwards. Well deserved! :D

Other winners from my list:
- Life is Strange won the Games for Change award
- Ori and the Blind Forest won Best Art Direction
- Her Story won Best Narrative & Best Performance

:thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:00 pm

BlackDove
What a surprise.

I am shocked.

Who could've seen that coming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:28 pm

M.Steiner
The right game won for sure (and I was hoping it would) but I wouldn't have been surprised if something like Fallout 4 had won instead tbh, just because.. Glad to see otherwise! As much as I have enjoyed all the other games on my list this year none of them are more deserving of GOTY than TW3.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:22 am

BlackDove
I'm also supremely glad Bloodborne didn't win anything.

Iterative games that play it safe, and don't really push anything in any direction, don't even deserve to be nominated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:08 pm

M.Steiner
Hmm, I wouldn't say they play it safe so much. Just that they (or Miyazaki rather) knows what works for those games and their audience. I loved both Dark Souls & Bloodborne so I'm not sure I'd be happy if DS3 suddenly played different or was pushed further in one direction. They're great as they are. Whilst having "more of the same" can be a bad thing, when it comes to these games I'm fine with that. DS3 looks to have taken the best of both series.

Bloodborne would never have won an actual GOTY award (though it was nice to see it nominated) as it's a little too niche for that and those games aren't really something for the filthy casuals out there but I'd have given it the award for best art direction myself. Still, Ori was a worthy winner for that too so all is good :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:37 pm

BlackDove
Not saying they're not great games.

I'm pretty sure if you prefer a game like Bloodborne, it is a game of the year for you. If you're into that kind of a particular game more than others.

And seriously, I would be quite shocked if the game wasn't good, after so many iterations of it.

But objectively, it deserves nothing. Doesn't have anything to do with it being niche or un-niche, or exclusive, or whatever. It's Dark Souls or Demon's Souls or whatever the <censored> that first one was, version 1.4 or whichever one it is in the sequence.

They're not doing anything new. It's the same game over and over again, in a different setting, with tweaked mechanics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:40 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote: MS' 2015 GAMES OF THE YEAR:[list]
[*]9: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)[/list]
Just a little bump (if you don't follow me on Twitter) to say that Rapture has just been confirmed for PC ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:08 am

Whizbang
M.Steiner wrote:
M.Steiner wrote: MS' 2015 GAMES OF THE YEAR:[list]
[*]9: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)[/list]
Just a little bump (if you don't follow me on Twitter) to say that Rapture has just been confirmed for PC ;)
This is all sorts of awesome. I am now anxiously awaiting for this one to release. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Return to “General Discussions”