Best of 2015 - Music

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Best of 2015 - Music

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:29 am

Whizbang
Ya know, we always have the Best Of for games or most anticipated for games, but we never do anything for music. I know that MS is a big audiophile like myself so I thought it would be cool to see what people thought were the best albums of 2015. So here we are! Hopefully this will bring bands/albums to the forefront for others to check out that might not have looked at those bands/albums before.

So!....what were your favorite/best albums of 2015?
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: Best of 2015 - Music

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:08 am

Whizbang
Guess I can start this one off. This is in no particular order.

Clutch - Psychic Warfare
Iron Maiden - Book of Souls
Faith No More - Sol Invictus
Alesso - Forever
Muse - Drones
Lamb of God - VII Sturm und Drang
Ghost - Meliora

These are the albums that I can think of off the top of my head. I will update as I recall more albums to have rolled out in the 2015 year. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:44 am

M.Steiner
I've picked out a track from each album as a sampler of sorts ;)
In alphabetical order:

Adele - 25
Having to include a live video for this rather than the studio/album recording as I'm guessing they're being removed from YouTube. Not that it makes a huge difference with a voice like that! lol
Bon Jovi - Burning Bridges Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock Holy Holy - When The Storms Would Come Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls Jeff Lynne's ELO - Alone in the Universe Muse - Drones Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday Tame Impala - Currents Will be seeing Adele live in just over 3 weeks ;D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm not really one for bands as a whole, bar a few exceptions which I regale MS with every so often. So no albums from me, but I can share a few songs for sure. I'll try and cover a bunch of bases. These aren't necessarily all released in 2015 (most in 2014 actually), but I found them all in 2015 - because otherwise I'd have nothing to post :p

Here's the point where no-one likes any of it because I have weird and random tastes :p

Black Veil Brides - Heart of Fire
Panic at the Disco - Emperor's New Clothes
Postmodern Jukebox - Stacy's Mom (Cover)
Heaven's Basement - Welcome Home
Icon For Hire - Iodine
Slash - World on Fire
Mejibray - Divergence
And can I class instrumentals in here too? If so, this is probably my favourite instrumental piece of 2015...
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:52 am

M.Steiner
Give The Book of Souls a listen if you haven't, Anny. Very solid album & one you may like as well :)

Surprised to see no Burning Bridges from you but I'll agree that it's not their best effort, then again it wasn't their new album, but released to satisfy their previous record contract before they moved on. There are still some fantastic tracks on there (my favs being; A Teardrop To The Sea, We Don't Run, Who Would You Die For & Fingerprints as I linked) but whilst there isn't a track I particularly dislike, I'd say the rest are mostly throwaways. Roll on spring for the new album though, and this tour which they seem to be taking forever to announce!

Incidentally, Adele picked up the album of the year award at the Brits last night (along with 3 other awards heh). Not surprising given the huge amount of success she's been having with it but nice to see & definitely well deserved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:37 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:Will be seeing Adele live in just over 3 weeks ;D
We saw her last night & she was nothing short of phenomenal. She comes across as such a lovely lass too, really down to earth with lots of funny banter between songs, and that voice... Mesmerising.

Going to drop these in here since they're relevant to the thread, just incase anyone is interested! :thumb:
Tickets were like gold dust but if she ever comes your way, try & see if you can get hold of some tickets. Just make sure you're ready the second they go on sale as even then you're not guaranteed to get any. Trust me. She was amazing though :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
She's got a nice voice but I've never really gone for Adele...I think I get tired of her quickly because she's on the radio constantly :blank:

She is supremely talented though, and I'm really glad you had a good night dude :D Will take a look at some of those videos tonight!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:38 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:She's got a nice voice but I've never really gone for Adele...I think I get tired of her quickly because she's on the radio constantly :blank:
Yeah, I don't listen to the radio very often myself but I imagine it's just the singles they're playing (Hello & When We Were Young) rather than the rest of the 25 album? I'd probably get tired of them too if I was hearing the same 2 songs all the time lol :)

Video highlights would probably be Set Fire to the Rain & Rolling in the Deep for their effects (Skyfall too if you're a Bond fan ofc). And yes, that was real water!

This is the confetti you can see in the Rolling in the Deep video btw:
Caught a few pieces to bring home :D

(Jeff Lynne's ELO in 4 weeks. Will post some vids of that as well since he was on my list above too!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:48 am

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:(Jeff Lynne's ELO in 4 weeks. Will post some vids of that as well since he was on my list above too!)
As promised, for anyone interested:
Really fantastic show but one can't expect any less from one of Britain's greatest songwriters & music producers imo. Pretty special too since it's been such a loooong ass time since he last did a proper tour & tickets sold out within minutes.

Setlist:
  • 1. Tightrope
  • 2. Evil Woman
  • 3. Showdown
  • 4. All Over the World
  • 5. When I was a Boy
  • 6. Livin' Thing
  • 7. Ain't it a Drag
  • 8. Can't Get It Out of My Head
  • 9. Rockaria!
  • 10. When the Night Comes
  • 11. Secret Messages
  • 12. Steppin' Out
  • 13. Shine a Little Love
  • 14. Wild West Hero
  • 15. Telephone Line
  • 16. Turn to Stone
  • 17. Don't Bring Me Down
  • 18. Sweet Talkin' Woman
  • 19. Mr. Blue Sky
    Encore
  • 20. Roll Over Beethoven
My only disappointment was that he didn't include a Traveling Wilburys track in the setlist like he did at Hyde Park (for which I have the blu-ray of & they played Handle with Care <3). Brilliant otherwise & only a small niggle really! :)

The Feeling opened for them too who were a nice surprise! No vids of my own (I was intending on taking a couple but it was kinda hard with the arena filling up) but here's one from someone else: They were very good! It's actually the second time I've seen those guys as they opened for Bon Jovi on the UK leg of their Lost Highway tour in 2008 too.

2 down, 6 to go
  • Adele
  • Jeff Lynne's ELO
  • Noel Gallagher
  • Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
  • Coldplay
  • Neil Young
  • The Four Tops & The Temptations
  • Aussie Floyd
Noel Gallagher (27th April) & Coldplay (4th June) were on my 2015 list too, any interest for those once I've seen em, can post too if so?
My Adele videos have fast become some of my most popular vids on YouTube, over 100,000 views for Water Under The Bridge already. Wasn't expecting that lol :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yet again, great quality videos mate! Glad it was a great show and you had a good time :)

Still can't believe your ridiculously packed gig lineup this year haha. Hugely impressed!

Return to “General Discussions”