Looking for a new Wifi/Bluetooth adapter

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Looking for a new Wifi/Bluetooth adapter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:54 am

Thunderbird
So the Wifi/Bluetooth dual adapter that came in my laptop has not been the most reliable. The wireless connection has almost always sucked (to the point where I generally just plug in a cable these days), and lately, the Bluetooth half is also exhibiting issues (dropping my mouse randomly and being nigh impossible to reconnect it). Doing Google searches for this (it's an Intel Dual-Band AC 3160) seem to indicate that this is far from an isolated problem, and after taking my system apart, I've found that I can remove and replace the device.

Question is, does anyone have any recommendations? I'd rather not use external adapters if I can get away with it. One of my Google searches led to a forum post that recommended a Broadcom adapter as a replacement. (Post: http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-296 ... apter.html)

(EDIT)Looking up stuff online, it looks like the existing card is a Mini-PCIe card. Not sure how much space is available around it though.

Re: Looking for a new Wifi/Bluetooth adapter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 pm

M.Steiner
Well, you learn something new every day. I wasn't aware you could get dual WiFi/Bluetooth adapters lol. That being said, the external WiFi adapter I have tends to be a little better with the signal strength than my internal one (the antenna's on that are up against a wall though which won't help heh) since it's on a dock where I can position it better.

External again but I did just get one of these a few weeks ago. Cheap & cheerful but has been great at streaming music from my PC to a wireless speaker in our kitchen downstairs :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “General Discussions”