Wizard's Staff (Build)

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Wizard's Staff (Build)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 am

esd
You might know I'm into Arduino lately. The last couple of months I've also been, very slowly, working a piece of wood for Halloween: I have to walk with a stick, and being costumed but with a modern stick is jarring. This year I'm fixing that.

Neighbour gave me a branch!
Staff-Branch.jpg
Staff-Branch.jpg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 11771 times
Twitter suggested a knife...
Staff-Stripping.jpg
Staff-Stripping.jpg (117.34 KiB) Viewed 11771 times
It was cut, sanded, stained...
Staff-Polished.jpg
Staff-Polished.jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 11771 times
Next up I got a GY-6050 IMU (gyro sensor like in a quadcopter), and I'm starting to figure it out!
I've got a nice glass orb to go on the end, and a set of LEDs that'll fit in the base... :D
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

Re: Wizard's Staff (Build)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

M.Steiner
Very inventive!

Got any other interesting builds planned for Halloween? or all work on the staff this year? I remember the ghost robot you riggged up a year or two ago which was also very cool :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Wizard's Staff (Build)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 am

esd
Mostly the staff, it's quite a complicated build and I've had to learn a host of stuff I've never done before (such as working wood with a knife). The ghost bot is still in the garage, just needs the servos and circuits out back in it (tho as always, I've thought of improvements - ditch the stand and spine, hang it from a tree...)

Got lots of other stuff in the queue - 2 sensory lights, a meter-long lamp, a laser spirograph/kalaedoscope, and a couple of bots! It just takes a very long time for many varied reasons.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

Return to “General Discussions”