Gantz

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Gantz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Whizbang
I stayed home yesterday sick and wound up watching all of the Gantz series. I have to admit I didn't expect the series that was presented to me. I went in expecting a lot of action, violence, and adult themes/situations. Instead I found a series that had characters with deep emotional issues and flaws that seemed to manifest themselves and take the story to a different place every time. Now there was action, and lots of violence and gore, and even its fair share of nudity and sex/sexual reference. But it was pretty well placed amongst the story and the development of the story. The characters had a very interesting take on things and their growth through the series, within the story and amongst each other, was quite entertaining. I was also impressed with how they tied the beginning into the end and how everyone had a bit of overflowing arc to how and when they came into things.

I will say that there were a few twists in the series that honestly took me by surprise and made me wonder just where they were taking the characters/story. I had to think about what the purpose would be to commit to such writing but I think in the end it played out well. The ending had me feeling like there was something lacking, almost as if they weren't sure how to tie everything together for a clean ending. But I might have overlooked something they were trying to get across. Once I've had a chance to let everything settle I'll watch it a second time to see if I can put more of it together.

I'd give it a rating of 8/10.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: Gantz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm

M.Steiner
Gantz is one (of admittedly quite a few lol) I've had on my list since last summer but haven't gotten round to watching yet. I know Ant has seen it already and gave it 7 or 8 iirc, and Cyma recently included it on his recommendations list as well. Good to hear that it left you pleasantly surprised and impressed for the most part. Always encouraging to see when I have it waiting to watch :)
Once I've slowly worked my way through FMA Brotherhood I'll have to think about moving this (and a few others) up my schedule since I've been planning to watch them for ages. So immersed playing as Ezio atm that it slows my viewing down hehe.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 pm

SSX-Ava
I enjoyed it, no masterpiece by any means but its nice to see something completely bat shit crazy every so often :p

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Whizbang
What did you make of the ending, Ava?
I thought that Kurono ending up in the subway station with Mika on his back was a bit confusing and didn't really help explain why Gantz suddenly changed the rules of his game. And the old lady continuing to spout about finding her own way to the rail stop didn't do much to help out. And it would have been better if it wasn't just the last set of people to die were the ones in the subway station where Kurono and Katou saved the bum.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:58 am

SSX-Ava
Mechanus wrote:What did you make of the ending, Ava?

Not much other than being hopelessly confused :P
The last three episodes didn't follow the manga, so that probably explains why its abit ''off''

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Cyma
My wife and I took the chance with Gantz... We found the super special edition for 7$ on Amazon so we bough it thinking that we could sell it for more anyway if we did not liked it.

We both liked it so we kept it lol Its different but i have to admit i got a little bit annoyed with one of the caracter and the over mojo used on the main caracter. Other than that the story is refreshing, different and the end make you want more hehe

I deifnitly recomment it =)
Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 am

Stracius
Uhh, Cyma, you do realize the movie was based on an anime (in turn based on manga), which is what the weirdos in this thread were discussing, yeah? :) If ya liked the movie, check out the series. It's pretty good. I may have to check out the movie now, in the meantime.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Cyma
O.o I though they were talking of the serie.. I never saw the movie, I did not knew about it lol

Well damn now i need to find that movie..

Ok call me noob lol
Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Whizbang
We are talking about the series. I didn't know there was a movie for Gantz.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm

M.Steiner
Cyma wrote:O.o I though they were talking of the serie..
Don't worry they were :)
I'm guessing the image you posted is from the movie and so Strac thought you were referring to the movie rather than the series.
I didn't know there was a movie for Gantz.
A live action one yep. I may give them a try sometime after the series but whether they'll be any good or not.. Caught a glimpse of the Death Note live-action movie on TV not so long ago and found it laughable, anime on the other hand I loved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Whizbang
SSX-MS wrote:
Cyma wrote:O.o I though they were talking of the serie..
Don't worry they were :)
I'm guessing the image you posted is from the movie and so Strac thought you were referring to the movie rather than the series.
The image Cyma posted is for the anime series. It's a special edition release with the Gantz black orb as a figurine.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 pm

M.Steiner
Oh nice. Doesn't look like we can buy that over here, just had a look. Shame :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Cyma
Oh yeah i saw somehting about the live action movie.. well the wife did, she spoked alot about it.

And yes that orb is that version we have at home.
Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Stracius
Yeah, the 7$ and the image threw me off. That and a female companion type that enjoys anime too. Hax.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

Return to “Anime”