Clannad: After Story

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Clannad: After Story

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:14 pm

M.Steiner
Well I would never have believed I'd be making a post on this particular anime some months ago but here we go lol.

The first season of Clannad was basically a setup for the after story and worked well at introducing the viewer to each of the characters and the lives they live. It was however a bit hit and miss with me as it wasn't until the second half where the light hearted comedy became less and the drama/romance ramped up and kept my focus.
I don't tend to drop shows as I like to see things through once I've started them and I don't want my watched list filled with stuff I've given up on but early on in the series I did consider not bothering with After Story if the first series continued the way it was doing. Thankfully the second half was much better and so I slowly started to change my mind, so glad I did.

I haven't watched very many romance focused animes so far other than a few like 5 Centimeters per Second, Whisper of the Heart etc but I thought After Story was amazing. Some may not agree but for me AS was in a completely different league compared to the majority of the first season imo. Much heavier. Sure it featured the same characters and was a continuation of the story but it was like a different show really.. That being said you can't see the second without seeing the first as it wouldn't have the same impact on you. So when I recommend AS that'll mean watching the first too obviously. Stick it out though.

It's not a show which everyone is going to come out adoring but I'd say After Story is one everybody should at least see. Up until recently I had no plans of ever watching Clannad. Infact I had pretty much written it off expecting I would hate it but after seeing it popping up in recommendations I figured "what the hell?". Always good to broaden my experience at least I thought. Wise decision that was.
After Story really is a beautiful piece of anime imo. Very powerful, emotional and a wonderful experience. I wouldn't say it's the best anime I've ever seen but I'd honestly say it is one of them, top 5 for sure. It's no surprise to see it has an average score of 9.11 on MAL and for good reason too.
I already planned on watching some of this guys other work (Air, Kanon (2006) and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) so I think I'll be moving those forward a bit now and hope to be surprised again by at least one of them.

So yeah this is something I'd highly recommend. Maybe you'll hate it, maybe you'll love it, maybe it'll turn out that it just wasn't for you but give it a watch some day if you haven't already and see what you think. Just don't knock it until you've tried it :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “Anime”