Fate/Zero

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Fate/Zero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Anyone else watching this save for myself and MS? I picked it up in a cloud of uncertainty, as whilst the synopsis looked good I was not completely sold - partly because I have not watched Stay/Night.

That said though, the first episode has just blown me away. The show looks to have HUGE potential, and I'm massively keen to see what exactly it does with that potential. I'm praying it doesn't squander it, because if it doesn't this show could be by far the best 'live' show I've watched in a long time.

Oh, and the OP is awesome too :D

EDIT: OP got pulled from Youtube and I can't find another copy :( Will edit it back in if I find one again!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Fate/Zero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:44 am

M.Steiner
Shameless copy & paste from the other thread :p
M.Steiner wrote:Fate/zero - Watched F/SN recently just so I already had knowledge of the characters and universe to be able to watch this, being a prequel and all I preferred to do that. The events in this are referenced throughout stay night so going into this already knowing the outcome of certain things gives a much better perspective and seeing what happens leading up to those is already quite exciting. I've caught up now and F/Zero was most excellent. From the shows which have already started airing it is miles ahead imo. The first 2 eps were really impressive and much darker in tone and mature than stay night. I still think Guilty Crown & UN-GO will turn out to be two of the top picks for this season even before they have started airing but if this continues it will be joining them for sure. My current favourite.
The remaining shows left to begin airing have a lot to live up to after the first 2 eps of Fate/zero.
I enjoyed Stay Night and I gave that an 8 (though more of a 7.5 imo). Went into Fate/zero expecting more of the same but was taken back by how good it was, pretty amazing.
I tend to score the shows I watch 2-3 times on MAL whilst I'm watching them. Initial impression score, halfway through and then my final score. I'd already given this a 10 after the first ep lol, whether it will keep that or not is another thing. I'll be looking forward to this each week now so I do hope so :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:I'd already given this a 10 after the first ep lol
My thoughts went in exactly the same direction, though I don't rate until I've seen the whole of something as a rule :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:50 am

Kon
Given all the discussion this show has generated, I quickly became interested in it and Stay Night. However, I have noticed that the use of magic features prominently in this show. As you all know, I am a kind and patient soul, but I cannot abide magic. Is this show still worth seeing even if you hate hocus-pocus bullshit? I have to say that the animation looks really great.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Can't comment on Stay/Night as I haven't seen it yet, but I'd say Zero is definately worth watching regardless.

The show does seem to revolve around a magical theme, yes. But at the end of the day after two episodes I'm already comparing it to both Geass and Frontier when I haven't watched many magic based shows either - which is the highest praise I can give.

Imo, watch the 50 minute first episode and see what you think. It'll be obvious by the end of that whether it is for you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Kon
As I said in IRC, I'm not sure I like where the show is going in regards to "ancient heroes of the past fight over the Holy Grail" plot, but I will stick with it for a few more episodes at least. Putting most of my money on Guilty Crown though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:24 pm

M.Steiner
Amazing yet again.
This series continues to surprise me. I'm not always a big fan of lengthy fight scenes depending on the anime and that's one of the reasons why I stayed away from the mecha genre for so long as when they're so action packed I find they can sometimes lack substance. The battle scene in this weeks ep however was beyond epic and for only 4 episodes in leaves me extremely excited for what's to come.
Still a 10, they better not screw this up. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, this show has been pretty much perfect thus far. Can't wait for each episode. Top notch animation, characters, sound and general story thus far.

I REALLY hope they don't screw it up, because it's setting itself up to be one of the best shows I have watched in a long time (probably since Frontier honestly). So far so good though, I have not felt let down at all. We've still not seen a lot of many of the Servants yet either - it's mainly been Saber/Assassin/Lancer. So there should be lots more awesome to come!

Also, Rider is beyond awesome :D Will drive his master insane at this rate though lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Kon
I was a skeptic at first, but the last two episodes have changed my mind, to be sure. Like Anubis said, I'm normally not one for fight scenes, but the entire premise of this show is so fun. The animation is probably also the best I've seen in an anime. Looking forward to episode 5!
All that said, I hope Alexander dies soon so we can get rid of him and Weaver. I hate them both.

Having not seen Stay/Night, there is obviously a lot more room for conjecture. I'm starting to wonder if maybe Arthuria's master really is the woman (I forget her name), and if true, what Emiya's true purpose is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Kahn wrote:
Having not seen Stay/Night, there is obviously a lot more room for conjecture. I'm starting to wonder if maybe Arthuria's master really is the woman (I forget her name), and if true, what Emiya's true purpose is.
What I have taken from the show so far is that the masters are the ones with the branding on their hands - since it's through those sigils that they issue their command spells. If indeed that is the case, then Emiya is indeed Saber's true master.

He's basically trying to make the other masters think it's her though, because she's perceptibly weaker and the easier target. It will be interesting to see how many end up believing that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Kon
Anubis wrote:
What I have taken from the show so far is that the masters are the ones with the branding on their hands - since it's through those sigils that they issue their command spells. If indeed that is the case, then Emiya is indeed Saber's true master.

He's basically trying to make the other masters think it's her though, because she's perceptibly weaker and the easier target. It will be interesting to see how many end up believing that.
Good point about the hand, but it just seems like Arthuria is a much better match for her than for Emiya. That said, I think Emiya is probably one of the deeper characters, and we've only really scratched the surface.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yet more perfection this week. Berserker's ability looks incredibly powerful, and it'll be really interesting to see how anyone can hope to defeat him...
...with a Noble Phantasm that can literally be anything.

The Bluebeard/Arthuria twist looks very interesting too, and it'll be interesting to see how that works out. I wonder who exactly Bluebeard is if he knew Arthuria and knew her as she really was rather than the male King Arthur legend everyone else knows her as.

I also hope that we'll get to see a Rider/Lancer angle, as that has the potential to be very good now that we know that Lancer's master is actually the boy's teacher. It surprised me that he found an alternative route into the tournament honestly.

Also, just a point worth noting - we're seeing a few command spells wasted so far. I recall that they could only be used three times, so this may be quite a significant factor later on. Will keep my eyes on how that affects things later with great interest :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Some thoughts from IRC yesterday:
[20:53] <SSX-Anubis> Fate/Zero, I love you
[20:53] <SSX-Anubis> wonder if Lancer's Master will recover or whether the woman will have to take full control
[20:54] <Kahn> What woman?
[20:54] <Kahn> Oh
[20:54] <SSX-Anubis> the woman who provides the mana
[20:54] <SSX-Anubis> since he altered the contract
[20:54] <Kahn> Doesn't the white-hair girl also act as mana-provider for Sabre?
[20:55] <Kahn> Though you are right, I did forget all about the other one. She appeared for all of 30 seconds.
[20:55] <SSX-Anubis> no, she doesn't. Irisviel is just a feint
[20:55] <SSX-Anubis> guessing she holds Avalon because Emiya knows that'll make her a target
[20:56] <Kahn> But yeah, Emyia's fight with what's his face was pretty epic
[20:56] <SSX-Anubis> and indeed, her role has been limited so far
[20:56] <SSX-Anubis> yeah
[20:56] <SSX-Anubis> Emiya is clever
[20:56] <SSX-Anubis> wondering whether the damage he did, not physically, but to his magical core can be fixed
[20:56] <Kahn> They explained that it cannot.
[20:56] <Kahn> In the flashback
[20:57] <SSX-Anubis> I don't think the person who told him that was accounting for heroes though
[20:57] <SSX-Anubis> since he was just a boy at the time
[20:57] <Kahn> Also wondering who the woman in the flashback was
[20:57] <SSX-Anubis> guessing his 'teacher'
[20:57] <SSX-Anubis> it is possible that Lancer could figure out something to help
[20:57] <SSX-Anubis> will have to see though
[20:57] <Kahn> I hate Lancer
[20:58] <Kahn> He's a male copy of Sabres personality, with no connection to his master
[20:58] <SSX-Anubis> I like him. Got a good code of honour. Don't like his master though. And I expect he'll be first to die after Caster so that Saber can get her arm back
[20:58] <SSX-Anubis> Rider is possibly most awesome though
[20:59] <Kahn> Seems a good number of the "Masters" don't actually have control over their Heroes
[21:00] <SSX-Anubis> yeah
[21:00] <SSX-Anubis> I think that a lot of that comes down to the fact that the heroes are independant
[21:00] <SSX-Anubis> that's why the Command Spells exist
[21:01] <SSX-Anubis> to bring them into line when needed
[21:01] <SSX-Anubis> I would like to see more of the Berserker/Master dynamic though, since the master is dying horribly and slowly being driven insane by the process (or so it seems)
[21:02] <Kahn> Seems likely, hence him getting Berserker
[21:02] * SSX-Anubis nods
[21:02] <Kahn> Good point that we have seen literally nothing from him in like 4 weeks
[21:03] <SSX-Anubis> I think he'll show up more late on in the second season next Spring
[21:03] <SSX-Anubis> because his Noble Phantasm is basically so imba
[21:03] <SSX-Anubis> he can't play a big part until Saber's arm is fixed at the very least
[21:03] <Kahn> What is the phantasm?
[21:04] <Kahn> I forget
[21:06] <SSX-Anubis> the ability to turn anything he holds into a Noble Phantasm
[21:06] <SSX-Anubis> so anything he picks up automatically becomes an amazing weapon
[21:06] <SSX-Anubis> hence how he stole Gilgamesh's swords
[21:07] <SSX-Anubis> (and also defend against dozens of them with just a metal pole)
[21:08] <Kahn> Oh yeah that was absurdly awesome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I can't BELIEVE they ended it like that. Cliffhanger for 3 months....

That said though, this show has proven to be amazing right until the very end. A solid 10/10 for me, and I really can't wait for the second season in April. If it can maintain the same standard this first season has set it'll be frankly amazing.

Rumours are that ufotable may get asked to remake Fate Stay/Night once Zero is done, because of how well it has been received. I really hope that proves to be the case - with this setting the bar, I'd frankly love to see them do more in this universe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
It's back, and it's just as awesome as it was before the hiatus.

I love this show. That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:45 am

Stracius
Definitely worth the wait.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 am

Padishar
Thanks for the recommendation,
Just finished the 1st season and thoroughly enjoyed it! :thumb: :thumb:

Wanted to stop by and express my gratitude, before starting on season 2 :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Whilst I was obviously expecting Rider to lose to Gilgamesh when they met, I wasn't expecting the fight to be THAT one sided. Ouch, Rider was completely outclassed - shame he had to go out that way, as he's been an awesome character.

It seems fairly obvious to me now that Saber will somehow play on Berserker's Lancelot past in order to defeat him (or his master will expire first - either one). But with him being THAT powerful, I'm not at all sure how Saber could even begin to challenge Gilgamesh - which is the assumed outcome I've had all along not having seen Stay/Night. I mean, sure he won't be able to use his Noble Phantasm again (lest it destroy the entire world - IMBA!), but from watching his fight with Rider he won't even need that to easily best her, even if she is able to use her Excalibur Noble Phantasm against him.
Will be an interesting last couple of episodes. This series has really impressed me from start to finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:This series has really impressed me from start to finish.
Me too to a degree. Whilst the second half has still been consistently great throughout, don't get me wrong, I actually think I preferred the first half overall (or "season 1"). Maybe because it was less action heavy and more of a build up to these events than how S2 has been for the most part. That's the only thing I can put my finger on really.
That being said the couple of flashback episodes we had a while ago with the younger Kiritsugu were highlights of the entire show for me tbh. Loved those :)

Also good to see you're enjoying it too, Pad! :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I agree on the feeling of preferring Season 1, but I've still enjoyed Season 2 an awful lot :)

Not entirely sure WHY I enjoyed Season 1 more. This go round just doesn't seem to have hooked me in as deep as it did last time round - mainly because a lot of the answers have already been revealed by now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
And it's finished. So sad to see such an amazing show come to an end. Absolutely a 10/10 from me.

Really hope ufotable get to do the Fate Stay/Night remake that is rumoured :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:35 pm

M.Steiner
I rated S2 slightly lower than I did S1 cos of what I was saying just recently. Much preferred the more dialogue driven and whole build up of season 1 than season 2 but overall it was still a crackin' show, miles better than Fate/Stay Night and I still enjoyed every minute of it.
Fingers crossed for the remake too :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:33 am

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:I rated S2 slightly lower than I did S1 cos of what I was saying just recently. Much preferred the more dialogue driven and whole build up of season 1 than season 2 but overall it was still a crackin' show, miles better than Fate/Stay Night and I still enjoyed every minute of it.
Fingers crossed for the remake too :)
I've actually downgraded Season 2 to a 9/10 too upon reflection.

As a whole, the show is a definate 10/10, but contrary to how I first rated it I think I should rate each 'half' as a separate entity due to how the show was aired. And you're right - as I said earlier, I do agree that Season 1 was better. Taking Season 2 as a separate entity, it never quite matched up to the standards that Season 1 set, and I do feel upon reflection that the last couple of episodes (whilst great) were a little rushed and could have done with an extra episode to ensure proper pacing - or at the very least, a 1 hour finale instead of the standard half hour.

So yeah....downgraded Season 2, but as a whole my view has not changed. 10/10 when you consider the story as a whole without a doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:32 pm

M.Steiner
btw. If you ever fancy watching some anime movies inbetween shows mate, on top of some of those early Ghibli classics I've recommended before which you haven't seen any of yet (Laputa, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke etc), maybe have a look at Kara no Kyoukai. I saw them quite some time ago now but they're a great series of movies. Only reason I mention them here is because ufotable were behind those too :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:btw. If you ever fancy watching some anime movies inbetween shows mate, on top of some of those early Ghibli classics I've recommended before which you haven't seen any of yet (Laputa, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke etc), maybe have a look at Kara no Kyoukai. I saw them quite some time ago now but they're a great series of movies. Only reason I mention them here is because ufotable were behind those too :)
Movies and I have a hate/hate relationship as you know, but I'll look into them. Thanks for the recommendation as always ^^

Return to “Anime”