Overview and You

Moderators: EvE Moderators, Global Moderators

Overview and You

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:34 am

Stracius
For anyone that hasn't visited Opprimo Vox's website recently, they have a pretty nifty article about the overview. If you've known Oz long enough then there's a good chance you've already got yours set up decently. Just in case you don't, however, I really do recommend reading this. And really, play with your overview - get to know how the thing works, and how you can use it. The suggestion at the end of the article is something to think about, especially since I've noticed we've had a couple pilots lose their pods in combat recently.

From my understanding of game mechanics, you can't dock/redock or activate a jumpgate or wormhole (amongst other things) within 30 seconds of a session change. You are also un-targettable for those 30 seconds, unless you otherwise take action with your ship. i.e. activating a module, changing speed, direction, stopping, etc. (keeping in mind Smartbombs don't need to target you to do their disco-ball-of-death-explodey-you-thingy). Things that count as session changes include: Undocking, jumping into a new solar system, using a wormhole, ejecting from your ship or boarding another ship in space, and (correct me if I'm mistaken here) your ship being blown up leaving you in a measly little escape pod.

So you know that one time when you undocked from that one station and realized you forgot that important thing (such as the 15 hostile ships waiting outside to blow you up) and tried to immediately dock back up? But the game wouldn't let you, giving a random message and telling you to wait until you finished undocking? Yeah, that's the session change timer.

Things you can do immediately and spam the button for: Warp. Time it takes for a pod to align and warp? 0.00003 seconds, give or take a few billionths of a second. Time it takes to wait for a jumpgate or station to allow your pod access after your ship erupted in a fantastic ball of fire and molten metal? 30 seconds, and unless you remained entirely stationary for that time, and didn't have to move to get in docking/activation range (because you were already in range, right? Right?)... Need I say more? Suffice it to say I'll be using their suggestion as it's a brilliant idea for lowsec pilots, though I am considering including moons for those pesky interceptors.

Planets are often filtered out from the overview because, well lets face it, they're spammy and useless in the overview. Visually searching for a planet's small circular bracket to highlight so you can prepare to click the warp-to button can take a bit of looking even when you're not already distracted by fiery plasma leaking from your hull, klaxons wailing death in your ears, and several salvos of missiles flying toward your ship.

Yes, you can also right-click on an empty spot in space bring up a context menu, move your cursor to highlight "Planets" and open up a submenu with all local planets listed, move your cursor to highlight a specific planet name and open another submenu, move your cursor to highlight "Warp to planet" and open yet another submenu listing multiple distances to warp to the pl... oh wait, your escape pod exploded 7 seconds ago. Well, that clone wasn't very bright anyway - time for a new one.

Using planets is also a good backup because stations and gates can often be camped, and then there's that 30 second thing again if you only warped a short distance. Warp to a planet or few, then warp to 0 on a jumpgate and you're set. Works on everything except Nullsec/Wormhole space Interdictor bubbles.

Disclaimer: I'm not entirely certain your pod is untargettable for 30 seconds after getting fragged so long as you don't move or take action; I've never sat still long enough to find out, and my only pod losses directly involved interdictor bubbles. If anyone is willing to volunteer to test this out, I'll happily oblige. In the name of research, that is.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

Re: Overview and You

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:15 am

Thunderbird
You are not untargetable for any length of time when your ship is destroyed (or during any other session changes). Otherwise nobody would ever get podded outside of interdictor bubbles. You are cloaked after changing systems (whether this be via jumping at a gate/cyno or wormhole), but I think this is the only such session change where this happens.

There is an in-game option to show the session change timer, it will appear as a small loading icon in the upper left of the screen if enabled.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Stracius
Thank you for the correction about the pod changeover, though that specific line of logic doesn't quite sit well. I do know for a fact that you're un-targettable for a specific length of time after undocking. Not only from first hand experience, but from reading up on CCP's game mechanics regarding timers as well. I think I need to go back and read it again though, I may be getting the timer for being un-targetable and redocking mixed together. Seems like 30 seconds is waay too long, it's more likely about 5 or 10 seconds. I need to stop writing articles so late at night.

As for the JG and WH session timer, you're cloaked, you're still un-targetable until you move or the timer runs out. Same thing, just less visible :p Admittedly, though, back before they incorporated the jumpgate cloak feature you were not invulnerable for any period of time after jumping into a new system, from what I recall (this was back in '03)... Lot of pilots lost ships while waiting for their computer to load graphics, or a laggy net connection.

Now I have to wonder if that specific cloak is breakable if someone got close enough before the timer ran down... hmm, something else for me to try out sometime.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Ozany
Yes, it sounds as if we need to do some testing on Sisi to test out and get better at some of these things.

Return to “EvE Online”