Newbie Experience

You'll never die alone...

Moderator: Global Moderators

Newbie Experience

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:11 pm

SirRah
Post your noob experience here; comments, thoughts, critics etc.

also if you got some specific questions post them here too. :)
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother****** in the valley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:57 pm

BlackDove
EM CEE FIVEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

RARGH.

I clicked "no" on tutorial.

*sniff*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:25 pm

M.Steiner
Well for me, i made a temp character in an anti-city faction and to me that was a newbie experience in its self :p

The dome feels and looks massive, i found myself getting lost pretty easy in there and had to resort to following a map - Which i never had to do when i first started Neocron. I kinda like that, a city should feel big :)

Some of the texture's still need to be updated imo - eg, the city apartments still have the same texture as they have in NC1. Apart from that i love the updated graphics in DX9. That includes the world detail and the character models.

Music - Pretty darn sweet i would say

Safezone removal - That will surely bring a LOT of fun to retail, i can't wait to be able to sneak my way inside the city and snipe people.

Gliders etc - Though i haven't flown a glider in NC2, i have on the nc1 test server and they are just great fun to fly. With the addition of bombers n stuff op wars will be more exciting.

Hacknet - Still a bit buggy but should be sexy when its fixed.

- Looking forward to seeing player shops, clothing accessories and war of ceres skills.

Overall i think NC2 could be very successful if they do it right. Given a chance i think a lot of people would enjoy it.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:16 pm

SSX-Killjoy
I started it up on my laptop, but it didn't go over entirely well.. The problem with using a rage mobile most likely.

I am gonna rearrange some machines and try and get my p4 up and running it.. Should solve some of the problems. Should also give me a better gaming platform..

Specs

2.6 P4 w/Hypertheading enabled
GeForce 5200
528 MB DDR Ram
2 40gb drives (1 for windows and 1 for linux)
Sb Live MP3+
17" Trinitron

That should be good enough specs.
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:13 am

BlackDove
1600+ 1.4gig
256mb RAM
TNT2 32mb

Runs it flawlessly on medium graphics.

You should have NO problems whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:39 am

SSX-Killjoy
Awesome...

But Rage Mobile.. nope.. hehehe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:00 am

SSX-Killjoy
Well, I have put in about 45 minutes into the game and I have to say they still have some issues.

I joined the Cityadmin group so I could work on my newbie skills. I was able to create my char, appear in the game, and get my feet out the door.

I went along killing those cute little sand crawlers with my rifle, and that is when I found out about the problem. My rifle uses ammo. One would think that there would be a means to purchase said ammo, but after 30 minutes of searching I was unable to do so. I found the nomad traders, but they lacked ammo. So I went back to the main building, again I could not find ammo.

However, if not being able to find ammo wasn't bad enough, three times while entering different buildings I got dropped to the login screen. Very annoying.

Finally I realized I need to visit my apartment so I could go to the city. That is when I found out I needed 1K to get there. A warning would have been nice, but oh well. I sold all the stuff I got off the dead bugs and I went to my apartment and logged off. Well actually I was forced to logout as the server decided to tell me that I was cheating becuase my stuff didn't match. (Not that i would have any idea how to cheat in neocron.. :confused: )

Anyways, overall the game is cool looking, and I like the music. Also they have something I have not seen any other game: flying enemies that actually keep moving around. Meaning they are very difficult to hit. My typical experience in game with flying objects is they come up in front of you and hover while you fight them. Not in NC2.. Very cool. Also I liked on the insects and bugs reacted. They even have flies that will bother you.

Not to mention graphically it is pretty well done, it isn't gonna win any awards, but it does look beautiful. Especially the sky. I actually played long enough to see the sun come up.. very cool stuff. Also the grass on the ground was a very nice touch. However, with the grass in there my fps went too low a few times and ended up lag killing me. No fun.. But very cool.

I think I will have to play it some more to see how it goes. I hope I have done a good job explaining my thoughts and frustrations. I am sure I will have questions as I go, but I figure this is a good start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:08 am

M.Steiner
Hopefully some of those bugs that you mentioned KJ, should be gone soon or at least reduced. I'm still not sure how much i'm aloud to say regarding the closed beta but KK have been working flat out and have fixed a LOT of the bugs that were reported back in the closed beta. I'm impressed at their work this time round

WEAPON & AMMO SHOPS

For lowtech weapons (eg, Assault rifles, Uzi's, etc) and ammo lookout for Archer & Weassons shops, they sell quite a few different stuff.
You can find one of these in Plaza sec 1, its the big shop which looks like this:

The lowtech ammo guys are on the right hand side of the shop

-For hightech weapons (Raygun rifle's, pulselaser rifles/pistol etc) and ammo look for HEW shops. You can find one of these in Viarosso Sec 3 (quickest way to get there is via the subway) The one in Viarosso3 is right near the NCPD HQ and looks like this:

-For PSI stuff, heal spells etc. Find your way to Pepper Park Sec 3 (quickest way to get there is also via the subway). The run down borded up buildings there have smugglers inside that have smuggled them from the Dome :) There are about 3 shops that sell PSI stuff here and they look like this:

Image Image Image

If ya wanna help make a bit of starting cash, loot the mobs you kill and sell your loot at YO's pawn shop / Bone enforcements and implants found on mobs can be sold at Crytons too.

There is a YO's in Plaza sec 2 which looks like this:

There is a Crytons shop right behind where i am stood also, and another one in Plaza Sec 1 - The one in sec 1 can be found on the top level of the big blue grav lift :)

Finding your apartment
If you are still within the Neocron city, and you've forgot where your apartment is you can always walk there instead of using a GenRep station.

-You can find your apartment by pressing F9 to open the NavRay. Select NC Services > Primary Apartment.That'll guide you back to where your apartment is (The password for your primary apartment is your character's name. Though when you buy new apartments later on you'll be able to set its password to whatever you like). The NavRay can also be used to help find your way to faction HQs etc too.

Grass Detail
If the grass feature makes your fps too low you can always turn it off by pressing F11 > Vegetation Detail and lowering it right down to the very bottom.

Hope some of that was helpful to ya m8. If ya have any more questions i'll see if i can help :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:17 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Thanks for all the info MS.. BD and I played for about an hour and 15 minutes, I was able to work on leveling up my character. Of course the creatures we were facing were far too powerful for me (3 hits early ended me, even with BD's bufs). But there were so many people there that I didn't die once. Very cool.

I don't remember what all my stats are at the moment, but I think that my intelligence is up around level 13 now, and dexterity is up near 10. How can I increase my constitution?

The game is cool looking, although I did see some weird sprite effects on some fo the PSI attack stuff. Basically I saw a square with a hole in the center. :lol:

BD and I also saw a Taxi that was stuck in a building, that was kind of cool.

So the only problem left now is playing enough to get myself out of the pure newbie category and into a more usable Cool Player category.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:27 pm

M.Steiner
SSX-Killjoy wrote: How can I increase my constitution?
Your constitution will raise slowly whilst your leveling, the damage you take from the mobs or other players levels it up.

Np for the info btw :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:01 pm

BlackDove
You'll up your constitution later KJ. You get it by stuff hurting you. Later when you're able to heal yourself (or when you get a PPU to buff you) you just stand in front of an enemy and let him hurt you, while the guy you have is healing you (or while you're healing yourself).

Or if you have a masochist like I had (If I was Rah, I'd chop off my head), you get to go AFK and watch TV while he spends five hours hurting/healing you non stop.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:40 am

Futile Resistance
So um... what's the old TG / FA etc HQs look like? Empty? Closed off? I've got a monk... so I don't exactly feel like trekking all the way down down from K17 hehe.

The game looks like what (what I think) NC1 should've looked ;P

Oh yea, anyone found a good nib lvling spot in the dome yet? I've only been able to find bees.. and a hurler that killed me in 2 shots ^^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:07 am

M.Steiner
Futile Resistance wrote:So um... what's the old TG / FA etc HQs look like? Empty? Closed off?
All the old anticity HQ's have been abandoned, eg, the old BD HQ in PP2 has Anarchy breed squatters inside.

TH is now a trading place for both NC & DOY factions, its been made a safe zone and it is no longer guarded so any faction can go there. This is also where the player-run-shops will be i think. TH has been changed slightly but not much. Will be sweet when the player shops are in.

Canyons was abandoned like the other anti-city hqs and has now been over-run with firemobs. Tons of grim chasers etc inside there, would be a great leveling spot. (Canyon is also not guarded)

There are lots of new quests n stuff that have been added too. I'll tell you where one of them is... Checkout the twister bar in sector i-09 (the building near where the roads meet) Talk to the bar keeper there and see where he leads you to :D - Note: Don't go on your own, go in a massive group. You will need a hacker and 1 or 2 high lvl PPUs, but trust me its cool ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:00 am

Futile Resistance
Holy ****! Was checking out the old faction HQs in PP... Um... *opens Tsunami HQ door* *sees 100/100 gatlin rifle anarchy* *attempts to run*

:thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:58 am

BlackDove
Yeah I attempted to visit the abandoned Crahn Chruch with my level 10 PPU. Almost got my head fried off by insane monks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:53 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Well, my amazingly fun noob experience came to a crashing halt last night..

I was doing good, worked myself up to a shotgun weapons TL 9 so I could work on leveling faster, went into a LVL 3 sewer and started to massacare the freaks down there. Had help from a few guys that just happened to be going through, but for the most part I was able to take them on. Until I found a Mutant Trooper. ** Hears shots ricochet ** Only took him a few shots and I was gone.

So I respawn at my apartment, and proceed to retrieve my backpack (as I only had 60 credits on me). It took dying 3 times by another Mutant Trooper and a Rabid Dog (I think it was), but I was able to get my gear. So I think well, that was no fun, I will go to the LVL 1 sewer 2nd Floor is like. ** Shakes head at the stupidity **

I was doing good, was able to kill a few things and get my coin upto about 320. Then I decided I need to head topside. And what would happen? My client Logged. So I log back in and my character gets killed by a Toxic Plant before I even have time to react. I was like GREEAT. So I continued the ritual of respawn, headed back down where I thought I had lost it, and well.. I got killed before I could even reach the hatch to the second LVL. I tried again.. Same thing happened. This time TWO Toxic Plants were squatting the hatch.

So, needless to say SSX-GhostStar is dead in the watter. No cash to buy even a basic melee weapon or gun. :smack:

Well, my experience so far has lead me to believe it maybe better to recreate my character anyways. So expect to see a new and improved Killjoy on the scene.

BTW should I keep the SSX in my name or will that be added later when we start clanning up?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:12 pm

Futile Resistance
Yea, don't worry about the clan tag w/ your name. It'll show once you join the clan.

You should try the "Preacher". It's a good setup (I'm surprised they've decided to keep hybrids) if you want to enjoy fast healing and good damage.

Oh yea, ran into sewers lvl 3 (PP1) with the "street samurai" setup :lol: Almost managed to kill that mutant trooper with my knife :thumb:

Edit: Just me, or does having better graphics make the game more enjoyable and addictive again? lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:31 pm

BlackDove
I think it's the amount of people.

BTW KJ - the backpack is retrievable through the Gene Replicator :weird:

It costs though. But you get everything back and don't have to visit the dangerous place again. You just find a safer one until you're ready to tackle the more dangerous one :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:49 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Yeah, I know.. The problem was I don't have the money.. :-(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:58 pm

BlackDove
I could always give you enough for it. But if you're going with a new char, that's allright too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:13 pm

SSX-Killjoy
I think I need too.. I didn't fully understand everything when I created my character. This time around I will know what I want to do.. Still going to go with CityAdmin as my group though.. Unless you can recommend a better starting group..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:34 pm

BlackDove
I guess CityAdmin is fine. I'm personally in DRE (Diamond Real Estate) but that's through a mistake.

I'd reccomend ProtoPharma or Biotech though. They have two Epics that give special implants that at one point or another, everyone needs for some reason (if that wasn't changed from NC1, which I hope it hasn't).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:51 pm

M.Steiner
OMFG KK :smack: :shake: :mad:

Just read this:
These spells have been removed from the game.

Items that have/will be removed from the game:
Holy Catharsis Sanctum
Holy Posion Sanctum
Kamikaze Chips
Belt of Zargerus and other unused quest items
Spirit Mods + Ammo
The PSI spells have been removed for balancing reasons.
Kamis and spirit mods will be removed for balancing reasons and because new players will have no way of getting them.

We would have announced this earlier but there was an internal miscommunication.
My rifle spy had prolly one of the best weapons on Uranus which was worth a bloody fortune.. a 5 slot full artifact Silent Hunter with a spirit mod. Jesus christ, i am so so angry at that. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:47 pm

M.Steiner
Unstickied - NC2 beta servers are now shut to prepare them for retail usage. NC2 retail will go live on Wednesday as planned ;)

Hope everyone enjoyed it, hope to see you all in retail on wednesday :D

Return to “Neocron”