RLOD E74. Thar she blows.

Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Halo 2, Test Drive Unlimited, you name it, we play it.

Moderator: Global Moderators

RLOD E74. Thar she blows.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:04 am

esd
Boxing Day night. Kids are in bed. Armoured Core For Answer on the XBox. GIR retires for the night, I see her to bed... I return and launch my next mission.

Only the graphics have gone stripey. Bugger. Shut down, let it cool off a while in case it's overheated for some reason, turn on and I get a bottom-right quadrant flashing red light and the error code E74.

MS are sending the Label Of Doom (they don't send a box in the UK, it appears).

Frikkin' typical - everyone's presents included an XBox game (me: AC For Answer. GIR: Last Remnant. Manny: Lego Indiana Jones) and now the XBox is XBroke. :shake:
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Inquisitor
At least they are fixing it, last couple I heard of were back in a week.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:55 pm

esd
They picked it up today - quicker than I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:38 pm

M.Steiner
Sorry to hear that, esd. What a crappy time for it to break too :/
Hopefully it'll be back before you know it :)

(Do you need to have registered your console on the Xbox site to be able to send it away for repairs btw? Never did with mine, but will do if needs be..)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mine is not registered with them MS. As far as I know it shouldnt matter so long as you kept your documentation to prove it's legal and not a black market console or something. esd or fire may be able to confirm though :)

Back on topic though, that is really bad luck esd. Yours being a newer console should theoretically mean it is less likely to RROD than mine or Ed's for example, yet we have had perfect records with our older machines.

Here is hoping they are as quick repairing yours as they were with fire's. Like MS said, awful time for it to happen too.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:01 pm

esd
MS seem to get sales data on each Xbox - so they know when a particular serial number was sold.

Reason I say that is I only registered it a month or two ago, but it knew how old it was, when I'd bought it and when the warranty was due to expire.

With that, you could probably register your Xbox for repair after it breaks... you don't have to be a registered owner of a product in order to use your legal warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Kon
As to the point of the newer hardware being less likely to get the RROD, esd's problem does not seem to be the "usual" three red quadrants, but an entirely different problem. I though this was interesting, as I don't think I've ever seen anyone with this particular problem before.

I hope you get back in working order again soon, esd. Luckily MS seems to be moving faster with repairs than they did in the past.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

esd
Yup, it's not three red lights, just one at the bottom-right.

It's actually a pretty common problem and seems to be down to the soldering of parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:51 pm

esd
And today it is back - defective motherboard apparently, which has been replaced. That means I got my console back and don't have to deal with their DRM tool to move my Live stuff as my seriel number's the same.

My MAC had changed (which given that they'd replaced the mobo I should have expected) - noticed this when I tried to play some music and had to re-authorise the XBox from the PC to do so.

Quite impressive turnaround seeing as they actually repaired it rather than replaced, and did it over New Year too.

Sony by comparison, on the six occasions I had to replace my PS2 (drive failure every time) simply showed up at the door, took the old PS2 and handed me a new one.

Got a free month of Live Gold membership, which I shall apply once I've got some time to beat up Fen and Slacker on AC4A :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 am

Ambush
Thats pretty good time considering the holidays. Wierd though that they repaired your 360 instead of replacing it.
Good to see your up and running now maybe we can get to some Gears 2 :cool:
"Ambush, You Have deceived us! I'm gonna hunt you and your ship to the ends of the universe!" --SSC-Fahd "Ham Chronicles"

Return to “Xbox Live”