New Campaign

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

New Campaign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Messiah
Okay, I'll run a campaign.

We will be using the 3.5 rule set and playing in OpenRPG. We will be meeting on a weeknight between 9-12 PM. We may try an occasional weekend evening. Campaign will be designed around a series of short scenarios that will offer natural stopping points in the story, making it easier to take breaks if needed.

You will start as a first level character. You may allot 78 stat points as you see fit, but no stat may be below 10. You may take the class maximum starting money to equip yourself with standard gear. You are free to role play your character as you see fit, but your character may not be a loner, a solo artist, etc. You will be a part of a group, and while your character can be as grumpy as you like, s/he MUST be a group member in spirit and in deed. Excessive antagonizing of fellow group members, unreasonable stupidity in action, or uncompromising attitudes will get your character killed or removed from the group. So, no, you may not play an big, dumb muscle head who loves fire and is constantly "accidentally" setting his friends on fire. You may not play a thief who knows better than the party and constantly needs to execute secret actions or go off on solo tangents. You will be a party member and the good of the party will be of paramount interest to you.

Psionic chickens will be considered on a case by case basis.

We will look to start in mid to late October. You need to submit to me a character sheet and a physical and personality description. You may create a background, but I will establish many of the important points for you.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:44 pm

Zephir
Yay!

I'm in.

I can finally end my overly long (10 years) vacation from D&D.

Now to start working on on my psychotic one legged dwarf with an inferiority complex that wants to be just like Tinkerbell

Zeph.
-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:57 am

Syn
Yeah, I'll bite. I'll have to pick up a players manual sometime next week though.
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Talon
Oh I am in. Smart move making us first level characters... that limits the number of characters I can create ;). I promise it won't be anything unusual this time :) .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Messiah
Talon wrote:Oh I am in. Smart move making us first level characters... that limits the number of characters I can create ;). I promise it won't be anything unusual this time :) .
So I should expect fewer than 5 character proposals from you? That would be refreshing. ;) When you say nothing unusual, you are, of course, considering psionic chickens usual. Right?
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
sounds good.
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:24 am

Talon
Messiah wrote:
Talon wrote:Oh I am in. Smart move making us first level characters... that limits the number of characters I can create ;). I promise it won't be anything unusual this time :) .
So I should expect fewer than 5 character proposals from you? That would be refreshing. ;) When you say nothing unusual, you are, of course, considering psionic chickens usual. Right?
So what you are telling me is that I can use the Psionics Handbook? I have been dying to use that book? I can make it happen. I won't use any exotic races though ;). Seriously, a psionic character isn't weird is it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
Talon wrote: So what you are telling me is that I can use the Psionics Handbook? I have been dying to use that book? I can make it happen. I won't use any exotic races though ;). Seriously, a psionic character isn't weird is it?
can i use all the same rules as in the psionics handbook, but call it "the force" instead of psionics?

i won't use exotic races either (there's nothing exotic about a chicken).
"you see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. you're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. where can you go from there? where?"
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:34 pm

Messiah
Lazlo Hollyfeld wrote:
Talon wrote: So what you are telling me is that I can use the Psionics Handbook? I have been dying to use that book? I can make it happen. I won't use any exotic races though ;). Seriously, a psionic character isn't weird is it?
can i use all the same rules as in the psionics handbook, but call it "the force" instead of psionics?

/sigh

Yes, you can use Psionics Handbook.

/bigger sigh

Yes Laz, you can call it "the force", you can call yourself "mindfreak", and you can wear a great, bejewelled turban, if you like.

In fact, lets just say that everyone must play a psionic character. That should be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
Messiah wrote:
Yes Laz, you can call it "the force", you can call yourself "mindfreak", and you can wear a great, bejewelled turban, if you like.
it's a very fine line between "mindfreak" and "sith lord"...so i'll just consider that you agreed to a sith lord chicken.

if talon is using psionics, i guess everyone else will need to use them....to protect ourselves from nonconsentual mindprobes.
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:07 pm

Zephir
Well if someone is having a having a psionic chicken I want a sheep.

A psionic sheep, called Harold.

A psionic sheep, called Harold, that thinks he's a bird.

His special attack could be a stealth attack, where he leaps out of a tree and lands on his unsuspecting victim.

Zeph.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Zephir
I feel bad now, I was gonna play a relatively normal dwarf, albeit a psychotic one legged dwarf with dreams of being Tinkerbell.

Now I have to start all over again, and I don't have the psionics handook :shake:

This is starting to sound more like a game of Paranoia, not D&D.

I hate to think what direction things will take if BF or Chim decide to join in :eek:

Zeph.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Talon
Messiah wrote:
Lazlo Hollyfeld wrote:

/sigh

Yes, you can use Psionics Handbook.

/bigger sigh

In fact, lets just say that everyone must play a psionic character. That should be interesting.
I would just like to state for the record, that I was an innocent bystander is this escalation. I blame Laz. I would also like to state that Zephir has way crazier ideas than I do (which I like). I will also state, that I won't play a psionic character if it is going to force everyone else to, so I will wait for a final, serious ruling from our beloved Dungeon Master (who am I kidding, I will just create one psionic and one non-psionic character, but I would like a ruling because I don't want to make everyone get a psionics book... although it is free on the Wizards of the Coast site).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
Zephir wrote:
His special attack could be a stealth attack, where he leaps out of a tree and lands on his unsuspecting victim.

Zeph.
that's great, my character sanders (a colonel in the royal air force before he retired) can have a special ability where he turns into a tree capable of supporting a sheep...that way we could have a special group maneuver where you get normal rolls when you jump off of any old tree but you get +5 to surprise, attack, and damage rolls AND your antlers turn into +5 fiery holy avengers for the duration of the attack when you leap from the branches of the colonel...
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 pm

Lazlo Hollyfeld
Talon wrote:
I would just like to state for the record, that I was an innocent bystander is this escalation.
any time tal says anything that contains the words "i", "was", and "innocent" i can't really take it very seriously.
-nigel tufnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Messiah
Certainly, I would like for each player to have a character s/he really enjoys. If that means 4 psionic characters, then we will start with 4 psionic characters. Sure, 2-3 of you will die in the first session or two, but you will be allowed to roll new characters.

Now Zeph, as you have been away from the scene for a while, I will forgive your ignorance on some contemporary D&D issues. A psionic chicken is a relatively standard character choice. Sheep, however, are another matter. I am not saying you can't do it, but I will have to carefully review your character sheet before agreeing. Expect some significant modifications before it is approved.

The serious ruling? Play what you like. You need to have fun doing this - I mean, you need to have fun playing the game and not in harassing the DM with countless character variations, special powers, or sheep tossing tactics.

;)

The most reasonable and well constructed character, in the DM's opinion, will receive a special reward (you're 1st level characters, don't get to excited).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Zephir
Messiah wrote:
............. Sheep, however, are another matter. I am not saying you can't do it, but I will have to carefully review your character sheet before agreeing. Expect some significant modifications before it is approved.
I suppose significant modifications, means bipedal with opposable thumbs, and no wool, unless it's a jacket purchased from a reputable tailor.

Probably called John Smith.

:shake:

Zeph.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:33 am

Messiah
Zephir wrote: I suppose significant modifications, means bipedal with opposable thumbs, and no wool, unless it's a jacket purchased from a reputable tailor.
Zeph.
Not at all, Zeph. I once had a player who wanted to play a centaur. I told him that was fine, as long as he didn't mind staying behind when the party climbed a 20' ladder or scaled a sheer rock face with ropes and pinions. When skulking through dungeons, opposable thumbs often get more credit than they deserve. Picking locks, uncorking potions, and weilding weapons are overrated. And why wipe your own arse when you can simply drag it across the ground until it is clean. A sheep is a great idea. My concern was that, seeing as how sheep have such impressive stat modifiers (i.e. +2 CON, +2 WIS, +2 DEX, and +4 CHA), the character may have to be modified to fit in with a group of 1st level adventurers. Really, a 1st level psionic sheep is the equivalent of a 5th level human fighter. I want to keep the campaign balanced.

You understand, I'm sure.

;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:20 am

Zephir
/sigh

Oh well back to the psychotic dwarf.....

Maybe he could be knight, or maybe a paladin. Not sure about a psychotic paladin though.

Hmmmmmmmm how about an elven duskblade, interesting mix of martial and arcane.

Aaaargh to many choices, the psionic sheep would have been so easy. Say baaaaa a lot, and leap out of a few trees, and use jedi mind trick to convince them I was dragon as big as a skyscraper.

Oh well, back to pondering my character selection.

Zeph.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:09 pm

Talon
Mess, what email should we use to send our character sheets? I actually have decided on one character that I am happy with... and it took me less than a week!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:33 pm

Messiah
That must be a record Talon.

Check PM for address.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:27 am

Serberus
Hey guys id love to play but what weeknight are you perchance playing on more to the point... what are the time zones again lol I can't remember.

And mess id play a dwarf fighter if i was playing :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Syn
I've got my character mostly done, but I don't have a printer or a scanner, so I have to make the character sheet in Photoshop... not fun, trust me.

If you want the raw stat points, skill ranks and spells I can probably send you that pretty quick. It's just adding all the little bonuses and crap together that gets time consuming when you can't just use a pencil.
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:19 am

Talon
Syn wrote:I've got my character mostly done, but I don't have a printer or a scanner, so I have to make the character sheet in Photoshop... not fun, trust me.

If you want the raw stat points, skill ranks and spells I can probably send you that pretty quick. It's just adding all the little bonuses and crap together that gets time consuming when you can't just use a pencil.
Syn, I can send you a Word template for a character sheet if you would like. That way you can send it electronically. All I need is an email address.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:58 am

Zephir
gimme gimme gimme

Or I'll set my psionic sheep loose on you.

BAA BAAAAA BAAAAAA

Just click the email button on my posts.

Zeph.

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”