Fantasy World Cup

Be it the Premier League, the World Cup, or any of the web-games that we play - this is the place for your football discussions.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators, Football Moderators

Fantasy World Cup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
A little early I know, but those of us playing the FPL wanted to get our foot in the door and make sure there was a game out there that we could use.

So, the three of us involved so far have set ourselves up teams and a League which all of you are welcome to join. SL33PY in particular, as our other FPL groupie ;)

I'm not sure how much interest there is out there for this, since only four of us are playing the FPL game. But as a World Cup rather than an English Premier League, hopefully it has a bit of a broader appeal and a few more of you will want to get involved. If you do, you'd be very welcome, and you can find the information over how to join our Private League below.

Please note that the rules differ slightly to the Fantasy Premier League - especially regarding transfers! So please make sure you read the FAQ and thus know what you're allowed to do.

Joining the SSX League

Head to the game's website - http://www.fantasyfifaworldcup.com/

Once you've created your team and activated it, head to the Join League area. There, enter the following information and you should be good to go (any problems, post here):

League Number - 90006
Password - friendship

We hope to see a few of you joining us for the Fantasy World Cup Campaign :) I'll most likely bump this nearer the time as a reminder, before commencing regular FPL-like updates once the competition starts.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Fantasy World Cup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Isileth
Hopefully as many people as possible will have a go.

Its obviousely a lot shorter than FPL so you don't need to do much, even if you don't know a damn thing about football im sure there are enough people here on the same level and you can have a mini competition to see who scores the most (or least) out of you :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Lee
signed up. though i didnt read any rules or anything before selecting team so i just bumbled through the whole thing. still looks like a pretty handy team though... sort of. might read up a bit and transfer some before it starts.
Eeks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Lee wrote:signed up. though i didnt read any rules or anything before selecting team so i just bumbled through the whole thing. still looks like a pretty handy team though... sort of. might read up a bit and transfer some before it starts.
Excellent! Welcome to the gang :)

I believe all transfers are free until the tournament starts - still thinking of tweaking my team a bit yet myself. So spending time perfecting things may be a good idea.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 pm

NF
Arbiter
Always like to play fantasy football... Chorlton Athletic have joined the fray :thumb:
NF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Welcome aboard NF.

Nice to see the league now bigger than our FPL one, with a good few weeks to go until the tournament yet :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Isileth
I advise you not to pick anyone from England as our team will be stuck in an airport waiting for the volcano to stop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 am

NF
Arbiter
Isileth wrote:I advise you not to pick anyone from England as our team will be stuck in an airport waiting for the volcano to stop.
lol - hadn't thought of that!
NF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Lee
crap. may now have to swap the much loved torres for villa - his knee may be dead (again)
I advise you not to pick anyone from England as our team will be stuck in an airport waiting for the volcano to stop.
i tried not to pick an englishman as england dont to tourney's, but i dont know any hondurans or mexicans so had to pick one. (until we can pick more than one person per country)
Eeks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Lee wrote:i tried not to pick an englishman as england dont to tourney's, but i dont know any hondurans or mexicans so had to pick one. (until we can pick more than one person per country)
I get the feeling that everyone will just pick as much of the Spanish team as possible when that time comes :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Whizbang
Lee wrote:crap. may now have to swap the much loved torres for villa - his knee may be dead (again)
I'm keeping Torres in my squad until 10th June. I think he'll recuperate in time for the WC.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 pm

esd
NF wrote:
Isileth wrote:I advise you not to pick anyone from England as our team will be stuck in an airport waiting for the volcano to stop.
Oi, you've had a PM sat in your inbox a month... pick it up already :p
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:42 pm

NF
Arbiter
esd wrote:
NF wrote:
Oi, you've had a PM sat in your inbox a month... pick it up already :p
Oops my bad! ::waddles off to go check::
NF

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Cyphon88
I'm there. Not sure how my team will work out that. Diego Forlan up front O.o!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Whizbang
Had some mates talking about this:

http://worldfantasy.soccernet.espn.go.com/app/start.jsp

I'm currently filling out my squad and looking at how this could shape up. It does seem to be a lot more like FPL that we play where you have a budget and can buy whoever you want instead of only taking one player from each country. Once I have had a chance to mess about with this I'll post up more info.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Whizbang
Ok. Now that I have my 15 players picked out, I can go into a bit of detail of what this is like.

For this ESPN FWC league, you are given 11100m to buy your players. Seems like a lot of money and at first it is. That is until you get past your keepers and defenders and move into midfield and strikers. You can find players in the mid and front for up to 1112m, and of course the best players go for that price. So then you find yourself trying to balance skill and cost alongside how many you've bought from a specific country. It seems that you are only able to have 3 players per country in your squad so that means you have to carefully consider who you want to see in your group.

Once you have your squad built, you then get to choose your starting 11 and the formation you wish to play. Once you've set that, you choose your captain, who will see double points from that week's match, and you are ready for the week's matchups.

In essence, this is just like the FPL many of us participate in, only in World Cup form. I think we would enjoy participating in a league like this and would like to see if others would be interested in forming a league for this alongside the other World Cup Fantasy game we are playing in.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:48 am

Isileth
Yeah that seems much better, I still havent finished my team in the first WC game, forgotten my password. Does anyone know the closing date for teams in that one?

Will definitely have a go at the 2nd one as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 am

Cyphon88
/me is signing up now

Bah it's not liking me, I'll try again later

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Isileth wrote:Yeah that seems much better, I still havent finished my team in the first WC game, forgotten my password. Does anyone know the closing date for teams in that one?

Will definitely have a go at the 2nd one as well.
I'll sign up to it later and create a proper thread for it. As for a closing date - I believe it's up until the day of the first game, so you have time yet. I'll be making changes to my team when all the 23 man squads are announced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:41 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Now that the squads have been announced, I finally got to looking at this. I have decided, however, that I won't be signing up to it. It requires submission of address, and I am not particularly comfortable with providing my address to what is effectively a branch of ESPN for something as minor as this.

I'll stick with the original game I think. Hopefully that will keep me occupied enough :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am

Whizbang
While Anubis thinks things over as to whether he'll join or not, I went ahead and made a league for those of us already registered:

SS Exiles WC
password - friendship

Fake address, Anubis. You know you want to. ;)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Isileth
Yeah seriously Anny, don't think I've ever given my real address for things like that.

I still need to pick my team for both however, not got round to it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Fair point. Signed up with fake details and am now in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Wow, picking a team for this is hard because of the sheer lack of knowledge of many of the WC squads and who is likely to start. Still, it is done.

Isi and whoever else, make sure you join the league :) It needs three people to activate I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 am

Cyphon88
I joined, shitty subs ftw.

Return to “Football Discussions & Games”