XI Article that was a fun read

Be it the Premier League, the World Cup, or any of the web-games that we play - this is the place for your football discussions.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators, Football Moderators

XI Article that was a fun read

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:19 am

Whizbang
Saw this in the Xpert Daily and thought I'd repost it here to see what sort of comments it generates.

What type are you?
I found myself the other day at work with time on my hands; 12 long hours to be precise. After aimlessly browsing the internet for a while I checked in on my Xpert11 team.
I found myself wondering what people want from this game and how do they play it, like you do when you have nothing better to do with your time.

The Obsessive: Xpert11 is everything - to fail at this is to fail at life itself. You log in for hours on end studying form, players and everything else associated with the game. You have spread sheets about every conceivable aspect of the game from players to formations dating back a minimum of 5 years. You spend hours not only watching all your games but the games of every team in your division, making notes in your Xpert11 diary as you go.
You probably have at least 15 accounts all VIP and all maxed out quota. The rules don't apply to you as you are above them.
The game is an exact science and not, repeat not occasionally random. If this is stated in the forums/scribble you will berate the original poster with long winded and often boring (though not to yourself) explanations on how they are a lower human being for not grasping the game and pointing out the exact error of their ways with endless stats.

The Competitor: To you winning is everything - you want the titles, the cups and the glory. Losing is just not accepted and if it does happen, can be explained away as a freak in the game engine as your tactics were totally spot on as they always are. Though not spending as much time in game as the obsessive you also have spread sheets and notes on the important parts of the game. You use words like; 'farm' a lot as it makes you feel like you are important and in the know, to you a youth player is there to be sold, play him? You must be joking, it will ruin the average age and could possibly end up in a defeat, perhaps 1 or 2 games at the end of the season.
If by some total fail on the game part and you A) don't gain promotion B) Have a poor change report C) Get relegated, hey it doesn't matter it wasn't your fault, lets head off to the job centre and get ourselves a better team, after all the last lot were rubbish/getting too old anyway. You ignore the fact it was someone else's hard work that got your new club to the stage they are at and you claim all the glory until they let you down then its back to the job centre.

Mr Average: You enjoy playing the game for what it is: a web based game and you chuckle to yourself about the Obsessives and Competitors getting all worked up. You like to win games/promotions but if you don't, never mind, your time will come eventually. Never the cup though that's - just a good way to get match experience - round 3 or 4 will do. You tend to stick with your first team just to see how you go with them. Some of your transfer dealings leave a bit to be desired as you're not willing to cough up 250,000 to see what the hell they have hidden, although on the odd occasion you uncover a gem. You spend a bit of time on tactics and tend to check out your next oppositions last couple of 3 games and then man mark their best player or the one with the intelligent special quality. Youth players are there to be played.
You have a good grasp of the game but will never be the best at it much to the amusement of the Obsessive and Competitor who a) think you are not worthy of living life itself and b) a noob loser.

The Part Timer: you got roped into playing the game by a family member/friend it seemed like a good idea at the time and its an okay way to pass a few minutes when you remember about it. You tend to log in at least once a week, sometimes a month will pass, sticking with the same formation whatever not bothering to check out who the hell you're playing or how they will play. You very rarely buy new players or even train them, sticking with the lot you got given even if they are a 33/5 skill. You promote the youth players and never put them in the squad so what if the 17/6 you got is now a 24/6. That 33/5 is a better player. Plus what's wrong with staying in division 8. If they ever do participate in the forums/scribble its usually just to tell everyone else to get a life.

The Cant be Bothered: like the part timer you got roped into the game by a friend/relative. You like football but only watching it on TV. You log in for the first time and have a tinker about in-between chatting on FaceBook. Realising this really isn't for you you set a default 4-4-2 formation and think it would be funny to set aggression to bruise to wind everyone else up. After a few weeks. You have your goalkeeper in midfield and a defender up front with no subs on the bench. Everyone else who has yet to play you prays that no one will take over the team before they have played you as it's an easy 3 points. You get back to the more important things in life and instantly forget you ever played the game.

As you can see I was very bored. So what type are you then? Me I'd have to go for Mr Average, it's just a game but a fun one.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Return to “Football Discussions & Games”