Server Type

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Server Type

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
There will be four different server types in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Here's how they work generally, and details on how we're dealing with roleplaying (RP) servers:

PvE (Player vs Environment) – Players will have to manually flag themselves if they wish to engage in PvP outside of designated Warzones and Open World PvP areas.

PvP (Player vs Player) – Players are automatically flagged for PvP outside of the designated 'safe' areas (such as Origin Worlds, Capital Worlds, and the Republic/Imperial Fleets; see below for more info).

RP-PvE – Players are encouraged to roleplay and act ‘in-character’ while playing on an RP-PvE server. Players must manually flag themselves if they wish to engage in PvP outside of designated Warzones and Open World PvP areas.

RP-PvP – Players are encouraged to roleplay and act ‘in-character’ while playing on an RP-PvP server. Players are automatically flagged for PvP outside of the designated 'safe' areas (such as Origin Worlds, Capital Worlds, and the Republic/Imperial Fleets; see below for more info).

PvP server rulesets

We also wanted to expand on what the PvP server ruleset means in The Old Republic. The obvious overarching rule is that in general, if you see a player of the opposite faction, you may immediately engage them in combat.

The exception to this rule is sanctuaries, which are large areas where PvP may not take place, regardless of whether you are flagged or unflagged for PvP. Examples of this are the Origin Worlds (Tython, Ord Mantell, Hutta, and Korriban), the Capital Worlds for both sides (Dromund Kaas and Coruscant), and the Republic/Imperial Fleets.

Hopefully this post helps inform your decision as to which server type you'd like to play on at launch. If you haven’t already, create a guild on the Guild Headquarters so that you can get placed on a server before the game launches!
I've just been reading through the above information, released earlier today, and have been wondering about something that's been in my head for a little while now - the matter of what server type we're going to play on.

We seem to have kind of chosen PVP by default, since I don't recall a discussion about it, and I can understand why - it's what we've done in the past, and many people like a bit of PVP in their game. It would be unfair to deny them that part of the game. But since the above information suggests that PVE will offer all the benefits of PVP whilst offering an opt-out for anyone who doesn't want them, I'm wondering whether it's a discussion we may want to have prior to launch rather than our just going PVP by default.

I think considering the RP server types as an option may be going a bit far, since it would be extremely unfair to try and force everyone to roleplay all the time, but there does seem to be a viable PVP/PVE option which wouldn't be too unfair on people (at least to my mind).

I do have to admit to having a bit of a selfish motivation for prompting this question though, as reading the above I'd honestly much rather play on a PVE server than a PVP one - a view based upon the way that I intend to play the game and the fact that ganking in populous areas used to get me quite annoyed back in the WoW-EU days. I wouldn't be hugely upset on a PVP server, but I think it would more than likely mean more hassle to play on one in certain situations if WoW and NC2 were anything to go by. FFXI and its lack of general PVP was pretty much the perfect environment for me, and I can't pretend some part of me wouldn't like to see TOR being a similar environment.

What about anyone else? Is everyone happy with the choice of PVP, before it's too late to change? Or are others more tempted by other choices too? I haven't made this a vote, since I have a sneaking suspicion I may be the only one 'rocking the boat', but if it turns out a few of us would look elsewhere too given the choice I may edit a poll in later.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Server Type

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Zephir
You probably aren't the 'only' one :eek:

I love PvP, but would prefer a PvE server, I don't have time for the irritations that go along with dedicated PvP servers and the attitudes of many that play on them.

I'm married and have kids, and so my game time is precious, if I want to log on for an hour to advance my personal story line, do a bit of crafting, or whatever, I don't want to deal with the whole "hardcore" PvP mentality. To be honest I've already seen enough of it in beta lol.

As for the RP servers, Bioware has already stated they will be RP encouraged, and not enforced. There will be no mods policing chat channels and enforcing arcane naming policies.

When it comes down to it I'll play on whatever type of server the majority want, although I definitly lean towards a PvE server due to the distractions of family life that require a I adopt a more casual play style :)

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:03 pm

M.Steiner
Perhaps it was selfish of me not to bring this up for discussion myself but since we've always gone PvP and that is how I always play too that's what I went with when I set it up.

A PvE server would worry me slightly because even though it lets you decide when and when not to flag yourself these server types are guaranteed to attract more players who have little interest in world PvP compared to a PvP one and for those of us who enjoy that aspect of the game just as much as the rest could turn out to be quite limiting if there are a lot of carebears on the opposite side.
Also not that I'd ever play on a strictly roleplay server but I have RP'd from time to time in the past and do try to immerse myself in the story and my character and wouldn't find it very RPish when who knows how many enemy characters will be unattackable. It'd be like Neocron allowing capped characters to go back to wearing their nooby LE chips.

Just to comment on your ganking experience in WoW mate. You joined the group a little after we had formed and well after the launch of WoW and as such this will make a big difference to what your leveling experience in TOR will be like I would think. Take STV for example, a totally different kettle of fish later on compared to how it was originally. When the game was still relatively new it was like a different place as there were far more alliance players out questing there. It wasn't until later that it became a hotspot for ganking and a zone which some people decided to avoid.
Everyone on the server will be starting from the same point which means the zones will be packed full of friendlies, no already capped characters and no desolate zones where you could find yourself alone. Cos of this most PvP in the early days of TOR will likely turn in to big group vs group until people are a little more spread out.
Also I'm sure that even if some of us decide to do a bit of soloing rather than grouping that other SSX members will be in the vicinity who can come and assist if needed, or I for one would login if I wasn't already online like I forever used to do in Neocron. Tbh if anything it should promote team work rather than be a deterrent for considering a different server type imo. I would like to hope so anyway :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:42 pm

SSX-Ava
pvp for me obviously

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:12 pm

SSX-Andy
PvP here too.

PvE is nice and all, but its a bit too nice. Doesn't have the same feel of real conflict as the PvP servers. I doubt you'll ever find many flagged for PvP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Whizbang
While I'd normally go for a PvE server to ensure that my gaming experience will be optimal for the storyline and not being hit while trying to listen to an NPC or trying to figure out a puzzle or something, I think PvP will be the better option. We're in the Star Wars universe during a time of civil strife. I'd personally like to experience the atmosphere of war going on around me while having to do my master's bidding. Knowing that there is Rebel scum possibly waiting around the corner to ruin my plans makes it all the more exciting. And, as MS said, we're all starting from scratch so there won't be people twinked out waiting to ruin your day running rampant across the server. So things will be a bit more weighed out when it comes to "Do I attack that Imperial/Rebel group or are they of higher level than me" sort of situations.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Chimera
I lean strongly toward PvP. During the early days of Star Wars Galaxies and WoW, when we had the group together and we were doing PvP there was a real thrill to it. Everything is a competition, and though in WoW I've been ganked so many times my character has a permanent body groove on the road in Stranglethorn Vale; it really does add to the excitement of the game.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ok, that's how I figured the balance of opinion would fall - though it is pleasantly surprising that at least one person agreed with me :) Just thought it was at least worth asking.

I'm not at all sure it'll be quite as perfect as perhaps is being suggested, and especially not if any of us choose to roll alts later on in the game's lifetime, but as I say going PvP is not the end of the world to me. It will more than likely be very frustrating on occasion I believe, but I'm sure it will be bearable.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”