SSX-TOR Guild Tournament!

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

SSX-TOR Guild Tournament!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 am

M.Steiner
Hey guys!
For quite a while now I've had this idea rattling around inside my head but I had to iron some details out first, think I've figured it all out now to actually plan something..
The plan was for a guild competition which would bring our group together besides the odd flashpoints/dailies we do together, would have some enticing prizes and would be unlike anything we've done before.
The best idea I came up with which I could potentially see working inside the game was that of a clan tournament. All the NC talk recently made me think of the "Fight Night" player events we used to have back in the day and so I thought I'd try do something a little similar here. If it would have been possible in TOR some team matches of some sort would have been great but that's not really possible...

Anyhow. Here's the plan.

How it'd work
A 1v1 clan tournament. Each member gets to duel against everyone else who wants to join in. Say we have 6 players turn up. Player 1 will start by dueling player 2,3,4,5 and 6. After each fight we'll mark each players wins and losses down. So if Player 1 wins vs player 2, player 1 will get 1 win added to his tally chart and player 2 will get 1 loss added. We'll go down the line having player 2 then duel player 3,4,5,6 (as he'll have dueled player 1 already) and so on until everyone has fought each other. Once we're done we'll count up each members wins and losses and see who won the most fights. - In the case that we have a draw those 2 people would have one further duel until we have an overall winner. - We could also have 2-3 duels each to lengthen the event instead of just 1 however that would depend on how many people turned up.

The location
My ship. Originally I was going to hold it in the hanger bay outside but Evelynn and I tested this earlier and it's considered a non-dueling area unfortunately. That being said the ship itself serves the same purpose and worked when we tested it on our 2 marauders; a private location where we can hold guild events like this without being interrupted. This area isn't as big of course but we should have plenty of room for what we need. [Note: Both of us had "allow access to same class story areas" enabled in the social preferences so tick that box just to make sure you can enter]. FPS should also be higher inside the ship instance with just us rather than on the fleet or wherever with lots of other folk about.

The rules
-A level 50 character. I say this only for fairness in the duels but if you're say, 40 something for example and wanna participate for fun you still can, or if you're low level and just want to come by and watch please do. See "The Date" below too.
-Any class you like, so bring your main, alt, whatever. In an ideal world we'd have same class or more equal pairings and same for gear but something like this would be much harder to organise plus you're not always on equal footing when going 1on1 in a warzone either.
-All cooldown abilities and relic powers are allowed and if needed we can wait for cd's to end before each duel.
-Stims & Adrehnals are allowed if you are a biochemist as you'd be popping these in a warzone too and other crew skills also benefit from stat boosting items such as the rakata relics from Artifice.
-No medpacs. In a warzone the players without the biochem reusables would normally use the warzone medpacs but since these do not work outside of them and so everyone doesn't have to go out buying vendor/crafted medpacs we won't use them for this.
-Since I am the one providing the rewards for this event in the case that I came out as the overall winner the the runner up would become the receiver of the winners reward and so on..
-I ask that the rewards given are not to be sold for personal gain. I bought these especially for a guild event with my own money and used my free time to acquire the rest. Some of which I obtained many, many weeks before I'd even announced this. A lot of time, money and effort has gone in to organizing all of this as I'm sure you can all appreciate.
-If you have no need for the ingame prizes you receive and you'd like to do a swap or whatever with another winning participant you may do so.
-Digital game prizes (The Witcher, Lone Survivor, Company of Heroes) will all be redeemable on Steam and as such a Steam account is required for these.

*Not a rule as such but just a note: This event is all in the name of fun. Whilst a lot of the participants will receive different levels of prizes this is in no way a serious test of skill. Some here have far more expertise in pvp than others, some not at all and the same goes for gear. This is just a fun and different way of getting together as a guild and an ideal setting for me to be able to hand out some cool prizes.

The date
Saturday 19th May at 8:30pm BST
I'm arranging this for next month rather than asap for several reasons. It gives everyone something to look forward to, gives us all (hopefully) enough notice in advance to make it there, gives everyone some time to continue working on their gear if they want plus it gives those who have a character approaching 50 a little more time to catch up. Not only that but it will increase the value of certain prizes.

and finally...

The Rewards

First Place
The winner of our tournament will receive:
1. A
[Korrealis Commander] landspeeder for use on the character of your choice.
Originally this vehicle was only available from the VIP lounge for the price of 1.5m and for a very limited time (between 1.1.5 and 1.2) it was sold from the fleets speeder vendor in a clearance sale. In patch 1.2 this vehicle along with the rest of the Korrealis line of landspeeders were discontinued and are no longer sold at vendors. Needless to say unless BioWare decides to reintroduce these in the future at some point the only way to obtain one of these was if you'd bought one before they were removed or from someone else who did. Making this reward quite special indeed imo!

and

2. A digital copy of The Witcher (Enhanced Director's Cut Edition) [Redeemable on Steam]
A truly magnificent RPG from the great CD Projekt. A must for any RPG fan.

Second Place
The runner up will receive:
1. 2x
[Advanced Black-Green Hawkeye Crystal]
These colour crystals were only available during the Rakghoul event on Tatooine between April 15th-24th for 83 DNA samples each. The two I have available give +41 power which are identical in stats to what both Battlemaster & Rakata gear come installed with except these have a cool unique green glow with a black core. Unfortunately I can't let you choose between the end, crit or exp variations which were also available as I didn't have unlimited Rakghoul DNA to buy them with neither could I forsee who might turn up or win. However these are very nice indeed and should be useful for all classes!
If you don't require both of these (like a dual-wielding marauder) you can either give the other to an alt of yours, companion or to one of our other participants. Up to you!

and

2. A digital copy of Lone Survivor [Redeemable on Steam]
Released on steam just a few weeks ago this is a beautifully crafted indie title developed by one man, Jasper Byrne. He even did the soundtrack to it as well which is fantastic.
"The masked protagonist must escape from a city ravaged by disease, by any means necessary. Starving and exhausted, he has begun to question how much of what he sees is even real."
Don't underestimate it for this is true oldschool psychological horror at its best. A phenomenal little game. - Read a review here.

Third Place
The member coming in third place will receive:
1. Either 2x
[Advanced Red Hawkeye Crystal], 2x [Advanced Blue Hawkeye Crystal] or one of each.
These crystals have exactly the same stats as the Rakghoul Plague crystals above (and Rakata/Battlemaster gear) except they are your standard red/blue and have been crafted by my Artificer. Still pretty sweet!

and

2. A digital copy of Company of Heroes [Redeemable on Steam]
Released in 2006, Company of Heroes remains one of the greatest real-time strategy games ever created and deserves a place in every PC gamers collection.
Much to our delight Relic have just announced CoH2 for a 2013 release. weeee

Fourth & Fifth Place
The members coming in fourth & fifth place will both receive 1x [Unusual Egg] and 1x [Custom-built Lightsaber [Augmented]]
These eggs were introduced in 1.2 and can be taken to an area on Tatooine where they'll hatch into the Orokeet pet pictured above. The eggs themselves aren't super rare or anything but they do only spawn once every 3-4hrs and it's quite common for them to be farmed. Cos of this they can be a real pain to get hold of atm unless you happen to be around when one spawns or you buy one from someone selling.
Also up for grabs is a lvl 20 custom lightsaber straight from my marauder's workshop, complete with a lovely augment slot. For anyone unfamiliar with the changes post 1.2: Crafted custom (orange) gear can now be crit-crafted so if you're lucky you'll not only get a custom piece of gear which can be upgraded throughout the game but it'll come with an extra mod slot for an augment. So, stick your level 50 mods in it from your current saber, grab a
[Advanced Might Augment 22] or similar and you've got the same lvl 50 weapon as you had before but with even more stats!. Also just to clarify, the yellow crystal it comes installed with can also be removed for anyone wondering. Put whatever you want in there!

So yeah, that's the idea.
I've never ran a competition before in a game so I've tried to think this out as best I could. If you see any issues somewhere or if you think any rules need changing/adding or whatever too please point em out.
Otherwise I shall look forward to hearing everyones thoughts and hopefully we'll have a good enough turnout on the day to make the effort worth it! ;)
One last thing. If any of you who intend on turning up happens to be skilled with video editing and fancies recording/editing a vid of this that'd be really fantastic assuming all goes well.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: SSX-TOR Guild Tournament!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 am

Tramte
Sweet, should be fun. Also nice to know in advance so I can clear my day for this ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Sounds like a great idea to me mate! I'll definately be there - will add it into my calendar :)

And also, a big THANK YOU for both planning and organising this, and also providing the prizes. VERY generous of you, and it's most definately greatly appreciated!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:04 am

enlightened
Sounds like an amazing guild event, well done on organizing this :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:43 am

NF
Arbiter
Count me in
NF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:27 pm

M.Steiner
Just thought I'd clarify something for anyone on the fence about this or wondering/worrying. Whilst this is a competition it's simply something different & fun to do together as a group and the best option I could think of which would include some cool prizes that I could giveaway instead of simply shoving them in the guild bank. I also thought it might excite some of our less active members into logging in and saying hi heh. Whilst yes, the people coming in 1st/2nd (and maybe third if I can get something) will receive prizes it's not really supposed to be a serious test of skill or anything like that (you know the SSX), just a suitable way for me to hand these goodies out.
I also know that pvp isn't everyones cup of tea so if you haven't really done any in TOR or if you don't consider yourself (or your gear) very good and think you have no chance of winning please don't worry about it. It's just for fun and we'll be the only people there. :thumb:

(I have something in mind for a 3rd prize too, just a little something but it's proving a bitch to get hold of atm as I suspected. I'll update if I add any more but if not just take it as the ones already listed! :))

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 pm

M.Steiner
Quick update: 2 more prizes added ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Quick update: 2 more prizes added ;)
Your generosity knows no bounds :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:19 pm

M.Steiner
Can't have a competition without some prizes! ;)
I would have added some more but 1. I'm not sure what else I could provide and 2. I don't know how many people will show up.

However if I can get hold of another egg I'll be extending the third place prizes to fourth place as well most likely. Providing 4 people do me the honours of turning up, otherwise I'll have more prizes than there are partipants.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:04 pm

M.Steiner
Just a reminder that the event is scheduled for this upcoming Saturday (8:30pm BST so check your times).
We'll be starting asap so if you'd like to join us please try and login a little early, we may wait 10mins or so just to make sure everyone who is likely to turn up is already present but I'd like to avoid people from turning up much later than that as once we've started, we've started. :)

I also snuck 3 more rewards into the list last week so there's a few extra prizes up for grabs too (added a second prize for the runner up and I've shifed the previous rewards for 3rd & 4th place to 4th & 5th whilst adding 2 new prizes for 3rd. If that makes sense lol).
See you there :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll try to be around a little early so to give myself some leeway.

Quite looking forward to this :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Bump with a reminder that this is tonight! Hope we get a good few turning up :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:33 pm

M.Steiner
Results!
Since my wins didn't count towards receiving prizes (I already own everything I was giving away plus I had an unfair advantaged apart from the duels we did with me wearing only my gloves! lol) the results were;

1st. Ash
2nd. Syn'n
3rd. Anny
(I can post my little graph of exact wins and losses if you guys want?)

Everyone has received their prizes now along with each receiving the rewards for fourth & fifth placement too.
(If you don't already own an Orokeet pet on any of your characters here's what to do with your egg. - Check this vid.)

I managed to take a handful of screenies too so I'll get those added to the gallery probably tomorrow if I have time, if any of you have some you'd like adding as well just lemme know.

Thanks again for coming along and taking part guys. There weren't that many of us but I still had a lot of fun, hope you guys did too!. I'll probably try and arrange a similar event for us in Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Firefall or whichever game a bunch of us are playing together in the future. ;)
Enjoy your prizes :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:24 am

Ash
MS

Once again thank you for all the effort you put into this event.

Cheers

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:37 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, definately. As we said at the time, the time and effort you put in is very much appreciated :)

Was an awful lot of fun, even if I did so badly :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:04 pm

NF
Arbiter
Apologies for non-attendance, been quite ill for a couple of days and was pretty much bed bound. Glad you guys had fun and congrats to the winners!

:: fingers crossed there'll be another chance to join in::
NF

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:37 pm

M.Steiner
No worries, twas my pleasure :)
I've just uploaded the few pics I took last night btw. They can, as always, be found over in our gallery.

[For those who weren't there and are wondering how I managed to have more wins/losses than everyone else:

Round1: 9 duels each for all of us vs each other (so 3 duels against player1, 3 vs player2, 3 vs player3)
Round2: 9 duels for me vs everyone else wearing half of my armour (so 3 for everyone else)
Round3: 6 duels each for all vs each other except me
Round4: 9 duels for me vs everyone with just my gloves (so 3 for everyone else)

So 27 duels for me and 21 duels for everyone else. Whilst I was counting my personal wins/losses they weren't for the prizes as said so it didn't really matter that I had an extra bunch of duels with everyone half naked hehe.]

Also don't worry about it NF, can't be helped. Hope you feel better soon :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Sarah2116
Hey i've been lurking around here for a while now but only just made an account there :)

Are you running any more competitions again?! :)

Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

M.Steiner
Hiya, welcome to the forum! :)
I don't currently play TOR anymore so there are no competitions being planned by myself atm I'm afraid. I do however plan to organise some more for us in the future at some point but chances are this would be for another game I end up playing with the group rather than being aimed at TOR again.
Firefall may be a possibility in the near future if we start a group there and I'm playing it too. Unless one of our other members decides to organise a comp for one of the games I don't play of course :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Sarah2116
Ah cool thanks for the reply anyway :)

Cool forum here too by the way, sure il keep an eye out anyway, thanks! :)

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”