[Important] Bloodworthy transfers - Stay or leave?

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Re: [Important] Bloodworthy transfers - Stay or leave?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 am

M.Steiner
SSX-Andy wrote:My chars are now Lysea and Snowstar is now known as Snownight. Apparently they grant 7 days free game day to all old accounts. It's why I was able to transfer. So will be able to join guilds or whatever for a week. Maybe even play some this weekend if someone is on by then.
I've been mostly playing my Jedi Sage/Trooper since we made our little Republic guild but I'll make sure to log my Marauder during the weekend and keep checking to see if you're on :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:44 pm

M.Steiner
Small update from the Q&A which will be of interest to Anny :)
LNSSnorkle: We know players that don't migrate by themselves will have their chars automatically moved. The thing is, how can we know where they will end up?
Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer): Once we do automatic transfers, we will be doing everything possible in order to maintain the basics of the current ruleset as possible - PvE vs PvP, regional choice, language (for Europe); so in many cases, you should have a good idea of which populations you are likely to end up with. Another top concern is trying to help the populations that result have a good factional balance. We will give out a specific list once we are closer to implementation of this plan - watch for more info soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not necessarily news on the transfers, but still semi-related and still news to those still playing: http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/31/swtor-g ... -level-50/

Sad news that things have gone so wrong so quickly for them. Whilst the game isn't perfect, I don't think it deserves to completely flop within 8 months. Hopefully the transition works out for them - I have a feeling it'll lose them some more subscribers though.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 am

M.Steiner
Found these too:

Free to play FAQ
Subscription vs Free comparison chart

If you choose the F2P option you can play 1-50 for free but you have:
- Limited character creation options (such as species),
- Can only play so many warzones, flashpoints, operations & space missions per week,
- Have limited travel options (doesn't say whether this is speeders, taxi's, quick travel, fleet passes or what exactly),
- Limited amount of listings you can have on the GTN,
- Will be placed behind paying subscribers in server queues.

and:
What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?
Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.
:weird:

For me the F2P option wouldn't be worth it simply because of the limited warzone access, before I even think about the rest of it. If it wasn't for that part I'd find it more appealing so long as they didn't stop me from using the fleet passes which are sold at the vendor for people who own an authenticator key, take away my best speeders, credits or anything like that away which I worked hard for. Personally I can only see the F2P option being a viable option for the players who either play very casually, play a lot of alts or just aren't interested in any type of progression after 50 unless it's a very casual and slow one heh.

Very disappointed to hear this is happening so soon anyway. Sadly I can't see this approach working well for them tbh, not when a huge title like GW2 is out in just 4 weeks which is completely subscription free and will offer much more in terms of pvp content (both large scale (world vs world) which TOR completely lacks atm, plus smaller scale arena matches), dynamic world events and more group aimed content in general. TOR was already going to take a hit from GW2 but by them making it part free-to-play I think that could possibly make it worse as it puts it even more directly in competition with it. I mean, if you compare the free option that TOR will have with its limited access to content, against GW2 which won't have a sub at all.. just doesn't seem worth it to me however much I've enjoyed playing the game. Sad :(

[Edit]
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-31-star-wars-the-old-republic-goes-free-to-play-up-to-level-50-with-reservations wrote:On the investors conference call, Frank Gibeau (head of Labels) confirmed that The Old Republic's subscription base has indeed fallen beneath 1 million and that the company has been "disappointed" with the game's performance. Gibeau noted that 500,000 is the break-even point, and while the game is still well above that, the numbers are not acceptable, he said.
:/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:29 am

Chimera
Yeah I saw this and actually laughed out loud. Not going to immediately ragequit because its F2P but thats hardly a vote of confidence. I think it will keep making money but its not going to make as nearly as much. Regardless, I think it really is one of those big blunders of all MMO-time by the sheer expense of it and just how lack-luster the response has been. The pit in my stomach began when I saw they had instanced the bejesus out of EVERYTHING. But that was back in December of 2011 and I still bit for 9 months...
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:[Edit]
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-31-star-wars-the-old-republic-goes-free-to-play-up-to-level-50-with-reservations wrote:On the investors conference call, Frank Gibeau (head of Labels) confirmed that The Old Republic's subscription base has indeed fallen beneath 1 million and that the company has been "disappointed" with the game's performance. Gibeau noted that 500,000 is the break-even point, and while the game is still well above that, the numbers are not acceptable, he said.
:/
Those are massaged numbers too. Will look even worse when the 6 monthers start expiring. I'd bet it'll fall under 500k then.

It's definately been quite the disaster for them considering the budget :blank:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Ash
After thinking about this I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news.

I know that the F2P system has worked well and secured the future of LOTRO,
not so sure about Star Trek Online though.

So I suppose I will have to wait and see.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”