Trebuchet 7M "Slayer"

A cult classic goes online! Futuristic warfare in 100 tonne death machines where the screams of your enemies can't be heard over the sounds of explosions!

Moderators: Global Moderators, MWO Moderators

Trebuchet 7M "Slayer"

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Chimera
Since the missile nerf I've had to switch to a more effective mech. In the last few weeks I've been having great success with the Trebuchet 7M. Originally, I was using a Trebuchet loaded up with 3 Medium Lasers and 3 SRM6's. My strategy was to get behind the enemy mech and essentially backstab it with 18 short range missiles. Since the missile nerf, that's not quite as viable so I've adapted it a bit.

TBT-7M

I've nicknamed it Slayer since it seems to be incredibly good at kill stealing. I really use it as an assassin mech. It has 2 Large Pulse Lasers. These have only 2/3 of the range of conventional lasers, weigh two tons more, and generate a bit extra heat. However, this is balanced out by an increase in damage output and that the total "beam emission time" is 0.75s vs 1.0s. That doesn't sound like much but it means that much more quickly total damage is delivered to the target and you can move out of the way and angle for another shot. The Streak SRM2's I principally use when I am chasing light or medium battlemechs. I only have a ton of ammo so I only use as a pursuit weapon.

Five Double-Heat Sinks means that I really lean on the lasers for a while before I have to back off. To get after those pesky lights and mediums or get away from the pursuing heavies and assaults, the top speed is 106 kph (with speed tweak) with 2 jumpjets as well, so if need be I can help to cap nav points. This is a short-to-medium range mech but it is not a brawler. If you start to go toe to toe with anybody they better be close to be getting cored or you're in trouble. Its a harasser, and it really shines in urban warfare or anything with a lot of obstacles. As I said before I do use this as a light mech killer. Its got enough armor and weapons to be more than a match for any of the five fastest battlemechs and enough speed to give chase over short distances. Against assault mechs, its quick and agile enough to stay in their blind spot so you can hammer away at the rear armor and then quickly fade. Your biggest enemies will be anyone that can bring a large amount of pain quickly, so Gauss Rifles and AC/20's are especially dangerous. I go out of my way to avoid Jagermech's with dual AC20s until later in the match when they are damaged/low on ammo.

Its primary weakness is that the LPL are in the arms, which can get blown off if you aren't careful. The Trebuchet also has a wider profile which makes it vulnerable to flanking torso shots and your XL engine (and your mech) being destroyed. If you're fighting a mech with ECM, the streaks will also be useless (I may consider getting a Beagle Active Probe when the patch comes out next week and remove one of the heatsinks. BAP will at that point counter ECM). You can get around this completely by stripping off the SSRM2s and throwing on an SRM6. Personal preference I guess.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

Re: Trebuchet 7M "Slayer"

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Ozone
Nice build, simple, fast, hurty.

I've been using the BAP in my Raven-3L, its nice for spotting as well as getting that slightly quicker lock with streaks. On a side note, I've played a few rounds with the NARC on my 3L - its a lot of fun, only 7 shots per ton and they fly slow as shit, but if they hit you get some exp, some cash, and any missles in the vicinity, from either side, target the NARC'd mech. I'm enjoying playing the scout role, though it takes some piloting practice to control a mech moving at 130kph.

Also, I've recently moved into the assault bracket. Running a 4PPC 2ML Stalker (think the F model). Lots and lots of BOOM with lots and lots of heat. Fun but trigger discipline is paramount. Going to start saving for a Atlas D-DC so I can get into some competitive drops when the 12 v 12 rolls around.

As per now, my Hunchback 4SP is mothballed (think I even pulled the engine), and my go to fun moneymaker is my 2PPC 2UAC5 Catapult.

Been running a few drops with the Desert Rats lately. They're a Marik group been around for donkey's years. There's enough on every night at 8pm Eastern time to get a few 8 and 4 mans going, plus they schedule matches on a regular basis, usually 1-2 per week. You should check em out if you want to do some organized drops. I won't post another group's link here, but you can find them by searching 'enjin and desert rats'
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: Trebuchet 7M "Slayer"

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:00 am

Chimera
Right on I've been running with some of units registered with the House Steiner hub. Usually anywhere from 10-30 players on at a time. Quite casual. I will look up the Marik unit though.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

Return to “Mechwarrior Online”