From the Lead Designer of Tribes and ex-Blizzards

"...and I'm like, baby, this ain't a pick up line, this shit's about to happen. Get ready. Get ready."

Moderator: Global Moderators

From the Lead Designer of Tribes and ex-Blizzards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:56 pm

BlackDove
<censored> World of the Old Republic. Craft.

Neocron/TF2/Borderlands/Huxley up in this bitch, free to play, no weapons under microtransaction.
How much will Firefall cost to play?
We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

Will there be a subscription fee?
Absolutely not. We do not feel that a subscription fee best suits the style of game we are creating.

How do you plan to make money?
We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.
http://www.themeldingwars.com/GoldenTicket_test.flv

Something to hope for again, now that it's confirmed TOR's turned out to be WoW with voiceovers.

Re: From the Lead Designer of Tribes and ex-Blizzards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
No harm checking it out when it comes out if it's free :)

Not sure what to maker the the gameplay footage...could go either way really. Regardless, we'll see. TOR will be my main MMO until I finish the story though, that much is for certain.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm

M.Steiner
This could be a fun free game to play on the side but TOR will be my main focus once it arrives I imagine. Will be playing Guild Wars 2 as well I think.
Given that TOR will give us the best opportunity we've had in years to get some life into this place again and introduce some new folk. - We should be off to a strong start with that what with the amount of peeps here that have shown interest in it. Unlike most of the other MMOs of recent. I really wanna help make a go of that for that reason. So providing others are helping out too and it's not all down to a couple of us I can see myself playing that for quite some time. Either until I get bored of the game or there's no SSX there left to play with.
Also I stick by my IRC comments from before that TOR isn't WoW. It may look it but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll feel like it when you're the one playing. I know you didn't think that made much sense but it does to me lol :)
Anubis wrote:TOR will be my main MMO until I finish the story though, that much is for certain.
I hope you will be sticking around even when you've finished your story questing? Always pvp/pve or whatever stuff we can all do together as a group ;D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:
Anubis wrote:TOR will be my main MMO until I finish the story though, that much is for certain.
I hope you will be sticking around even when you've finished your story questing? Always pvp/pve or whatever stuff we can all do together as a group ;D
Depends on how much I enjoy the gameplay itself ofc, but I have no reason to suggest I won't be at this point.

All I mean to say is that, when I start it, finishing the storyline is really the minimum I'll be getting out of the game :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Isileth
Saw some gameplay footage of this a while back, certainly grabbed my interest.

Definitely be one ill be looking forward to trying. Sadly I have to agree with the TOR hate, a good story might be able to give it some life (And the mechanics of some of the questing looks good) but at the end of the day it looks a straight copy of everything ive seen and loathed before. I hope im wrong on it with all the interest from the group, and I will give any free trial a go but not one I would buy based on the footage out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 am

Futile Resistance
I'll definitely be giving Firefall a go once it's out. Could be the death knell of Global Agenda.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Having looked up a little more information about this today, does anyone know when it is slated for? I saw on the site that Beta hasn't yet begun nor been dated, but do they have any form of release timeline in mind yet - even if it's just a vague one?

Also, Global Agenda Fut? Don't think I've heard of that one. I remember talk of Fallen Earth and Twilight War back when NC2 fell, but I think Global Agenda may have past me by. Is it any good?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:44 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Having looked up a little more information about this today, does anyone know when it is slated for? I saw on the site that Beta hasn't yet begun nor been dated, but do they have any form of release timeline in mind yet - even if it's just a vague one?
"I then asked the loaded question: when111s it coming out and what111s the revenue model going to be like? Expecting a dodge instead of a full-frontal assault, my eyes popped open when Scott said Firefall will be releasing in Q4 of 2011 and it will be completely free to download and play for as long as you like."
From here. ;)

Another game which might be worth keeping an eye on is Planetside 2. I never did play the first game so I don't know whether it was any good or not but back in NC1 there were two MMOs which I often saw other players mentioning & comparing the game/pvp to. One was SWG and the other was Planetside.
No idea on a release window for this one. I expect "when it's done" like Guild Wars 2 hehe. There's a FAQ here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:19 am

Isileth
I loved Planetside.......or more I loved the concept, sadly I dont think they ever got it running 100%, lots of strange lag and models not loading however the actual combat was good. Was the massive scale and strategic side of it though that made the game good. Several different worlds each with a whole bunch of different bases and defence towers etc. Only those connected to one you owned already could be captured and they each gave different bonuses to the team. Really nice idea, meant you had lots of combat because it was concentrated yet still enough targets that you could load up some transports and execute drops right onto a base and try to quickly strike and take out all the defences, respawn, generators etc.

Be very exicted to see if they get Planetside 2 running nicely because the mechanics are very appealing to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:
Anubis wrote:Having looked up a little more information about this today, does anyone know when it is slated for? I saw on the site that Beta hasn't yet begun nor been dated, but do they have any form of release timeline in mind yet - even if it's just a vague one?
"I then asked the loaded question: when111s it coming out and what111s the revenue model going to be like? Expecting a dodge instead of a full-frontal assault, my eyes popped open when Scott said Firefall will be releasing in Q4 of 2011 and it will be completely free to download and play for as long as you like."
From here. ;)
Hmmm. Not bad. Considering it hasn't entered beta yet I was expecting a 2012 launch - hopefully there will be a sufficiently long beta before release so that it isn't bug plagued upon release.

Generally good news though!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Isileth
Good news on the planetside front, its going to be totally free with an ingame shop. An ingame shop done properly, just customizations, no extra weapons or powers etc. Really hope they nail the gameplay again because its all sounding good to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Whizbang
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:16 am

Futile Resistance
Anubis wrote: Also, Global Agenda Fut? Don't think I've heard of that one... Is it any good?
It's F2P on Steam.

The PvP's fun (control point, assault type) and it's worth a look if you're bored (the devs are also building the next Tribes game).

I just enjoyed playing a twitch shooter with MMO gear/stat tracking (where's my Huxley) but the "missions" got a bit grindy after I played them all.

---

Looking forward to PS2. I hope they finally have momentum as part of the physics engine :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Kon
Going to have to join the chorus here and say that TOR looks disappointing. I had no idea Planetside 2 was even in development, but this is great news! I was always intrigued by the concept, and greatly enjoyed the trial I played, but ultimately stuck with Neocron. If PS2 is going free to play, I will definitely be on board.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:49 pm

M.Steiner
hmm yes and no for me. BF3 and if all goes well, TOR, will be out by December. If that's the case I doubt whether I'll be trying to split gaming time between 3 different multiplayers at the same time and there's SR3 co-op too. Chances are I'll be playing BF3 heavily until TOR is released and then switching over and playing BF3 casually on the side.
May still play every now and then but if this is releasing not long after those two I probably won't be giving it much time really. Not until I get bored of BF3 and that's if I like it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:12 am

Futile Resistance
But MS, It's F2P! Surely you can fit in a couple of hours here and there ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:13 pm

M.Steiner
aye probably. I just can't see myself playing as frequently as I will be doing the other two is all. Maybe not straight away at least.
I remember finding it hard trying to divide my time between NC and WoW when it was released as I've always been a 1 multi at a time kinda person. Just like I only play 1 SP at a time. I started off trying to play both equally so I didn't just up and abandon the NC group but my activity there did suffer because of it and that did leave me feeling kinda guilty at the time as I started playing less and less, before I was forced to cancel anyway due to Click2Pay's incompetence. I've just found it easier to focus my time on one multiplayer at a time and then that particular group gets the most of my time & help and I can be of more use that way rather than playing several and ultimately end up playing each casually. BF3 will already cut into that a little lol.

We'll see what Firefall plays like though and how many peeps here are playing it. It does look very Borderlands-esque which is a good thing, maybe I'll fancy playing that more than BF3 by Dec. Or if there are particular days of the week that people here are grouping up on or something.. Will see when it arrives anyway. Any new groups around here are a good thing ;)

It is nice to finally have some new MMO games to look forward to though I'll say. A lot have surfaced over the last few years but it hasn't been until recently that I've had my eye on several (TOR, Guild Wars 2, Firefall & PlanetSide 2). Makes a nice change!. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Just seen the following video, released today. Interestingly seems to suggest that the armour you wear may affect the weapons you can carry (I took out that the minigun is embedded in the armour, unless I have misinterpreted).

Not sure how I feel about that honestly - not really seen it done in a game before that I can recall. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:10 am

M.Steiner
Hmm. My interest for this game seems to continually go up and down depending on the vids.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:05 am

Futile Resistance
It'll be a good substitute since I stopped playing Global Agenda. There's also Tribes and eventually Planetside too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Kon
Anubis wrote:Just seen the following video, released today. Interestingly seems to suggest that the armour you wear may affect the weapons you can carry (I took out that the minigun is embedded in the armour, unless I have misinterpreted).

Not sure how I feel about that honestly - not really seen it done in a game before that I can recall. Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Tribes worked on the same principal. The sniper rifle could only be used with the light armor, and the mortar only with the heavy. I think it's probably the same thing here, where the Dreadnaught is the only type that can carry the minigun. I'm hoping that they are merely showcasing the class' unique weapon, rather than saying that every Dreadnaught has to use the minigun. That would be kind of lame.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Isileth
It does come across that the minigun is that armors weapon, however I am fairly sure in previous gameplay footage ive seen different weapons on what looks like the same class. If so then its the same as Tribes like Kahn pointed out. Heavier armor classes having access to the bigger heavier weapons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:42 am

SL33PY
btw, isn't neocron free to play now?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:btw, isn't neocron free to play now?
Aye, but I believe the servers only get 3% at peak times these days :blank:

Return to “Firefall”