New banner?

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

New banner?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Inquisitor
Something with a bit more pizazz?

I think I would like to play up the "eXiles" and downplay (a bit, not entirely) the Shattered Star part.

Friendship should be prominent.

I think it was the Guild Wars banner that did the words "shatterd star" in the background, something like that.

Anyway, I think it's time for a new font at least, it looks a little plain. THe main site has a decent one, wouldn't mind seeing some parity between the two as well.

Thoughts? Or leave well enough alone?
No signature

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:09 pm

Messiah
Change it. I never really cared for the 'exiles' font.

Why not sticky a thread and put submissions in it. Give it a few weeks and we can vote on what is proposed. Give eveyone interested a chance to try their hand at new banner.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:26 pm

BlueFlames
I was under the impression that that image was a placeholder anyway. ;)

My advice regarding a new logo would be to capitalize the 'e' in exiles, not the 'x'. It looks tacky and implies some degree of immaturity* with the capital 'x' and either a lower-case or no 'e'. Mind you, I think the SSX tags look fine, but seeing "eXiles" instead of "Exiles" in the banner makes me cringe.

* -- I don't know about you, but seeing words typed up like, "eXtreme" conjures images of a couple of half-drunk fifteen year-old losers hanging around outside their school, bitching about "the man" not letting them grind down a stairwell railing in the building during class hours.
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Inquisitor
heh, I kinda like the "X" ;)

I'll sticky this one, make it a members only submission :)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:49 pm

esd
I too like the capitalised X. We are the SSX, not the SSE afterall.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I agree with both Quiz and esd. I've grown fond of having the X capitalised.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:31 pm

BlackDove
I like the X.

And I'll try see what I can cook up myself.

What we should also be talking about is the logo. Personally I'd like to get rid of the star somewhere down the line, as well as the "Shattered Star" part, and come up with something original as far as the shape goes.

That's just me however.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:11 am

M.Steiner
If i get some time i'll have a play about in photoshop and see what i come up with. :)
Same size as the current forum banner/same background colour? We having a fresh forum look with it or just the banner?

I also agree with BD, i think it'd be nice to slowly get rid of the Shattered Star part of our name and just use exiles instead. We all know what we became exiles of without keeping the shattered star part, its been 8months since we moved on now. So i don't personally see the need to keep it.

Just simply, Exiles or eXiles sounds great to me. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:07 am

Inquisitor
Just like in GW though, having the Shattered Star in the background, just de-emphasized would be keen.

We do after all have an shatteredstar url :)
No signature

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:13 am

Messiah
I like the shattered star. Nothing shameful about what it once stood for, and the fact that it brought so many of us together. It is our history and the only reason we are here. This group did not form because it rejected what the SSC stood for, it formed because this group cherished what the SSC stood for. I think it would be sad to abandon it.

But that is just me. The glass is half full.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:02 am

Inquisitor
By no means suggesting abadoning it.

But we are who we are, and many have taken to calling us "exiles" so, in GW for instance, the banner is behind the word exiles.

Downplaying the SS part :)
No signature

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:26 am

BlackDove
Messiah wrote:I like the shattered star. Nothing shameful about what it once stood for, and the fact that it brought so many of us together. It is our history and the only reason we are here. This group did not form because it rejected what the SSC stood for, it formed because this group cherished what the SSC stood for. I think it would be sad to abandon it.

But that is just me. The glass is half full.
Agreed, but that's not the point as far as I'm concerned.

Shattered Star as it is now (and I'm not going to pretend like they don't exist. Ignoring is one thing, but being in denial is another) is downright shameful as far as I'm concerned. The way I figure, what it was, we took with ourselves.

Associating further with something I do not like, is simply putting me off on quite a bit of levels. I agree we should keep it as some sort of memory "as we once were" type of a thing, but the fact is, what we have now is 10x better. Even when things were nice and dandy in the SSC, I always knew I had a team of *not appropriate* above me (face it - founder was always god). The fact we stayed the hell away from eachother for 2 1/2 years (out of the 3-3 1/2 I was there) was just a fabulous streak of luck.

It'll be eight months at the end of May. September first we're coming up on a year.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but downplaying the "Shattered Star" bit is the least I could do.

Plus, I believe if I team up with MS, KJ, (Lightspeed god willing) we can come up with a profoundly better logo than a star divided in pieces.

Sorry, I know this isn't the point of the thread (makes me look like a drama queen), but I thought it'd be a good time to start talking "change". We're better than them (sorry if it's rude, but that's just how it is from my point of view) so why hang on to something worse?

---------------------

The above is the main reason why I want the separation. There are a few other very practical reasons that support my main dislike. We can talk about them at an appropriate time.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:07 am

Inquisitor
Well, we have a URL, so, it should remain part of the name until such time as we have a different URL.

Lets concentrate on the image itself and leave the emotional response in IRC for now.

;)
No signature

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 am

M.Steiner

~Using the same font we have on our frontpage. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:51 am

esd
Dunno.. it's lacking... something :weird:
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:40 pm

Inquisitor
I would, if I had any artistic talent:

1) Move the Shattered Star so it was slightly behind eXiles, and maybe fade the text just a very tiny amount.

2) Make eXiles slightly bigger and center it mor in the banner

3) Make friendship the word slightly smaller font and MAYBE collapse it so it's all in the lower right, similar to the current one. Only maybe with the latter part, I like the idea it's the tie that binds and cross the whole organization.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:02 pm

M.Steiner

Hows that? :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:27 pm

Inquisitor
Heh, very few people can do that MS, read my mind when it comes to explaining art. Pretty damn close to what I was thinking :)

perhaps the "Shattered Star" as the a background, instead of melting into eXiles?, and maybe a slightly, slightly larger font for eXiles.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:11 pm

M.Steiner

~Think i'd prolly go with no.1 out of those ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:21 pm

Inquisitor
Yah, of those number 1 is my fav.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:54 pm

Messiah
Yeah, I like the first as well. Good work MS.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:45 pm

BlackDove
Looking good to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yep, the first one is my favourite too. Nice job MS :thumb:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:13 pm

BlueFlames
Yeah, number one looks like a winner to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:33 pm

Inquisitor
Lets try that one for now, keep posting stuff if you have suggestions.

I renamed the old one, so it's not lost.
No signature

Return to “Members”