Arbiter Nominations 2009

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Arbiter Nominations 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Whoops, I'm a day late with posting this. Forgive the lateness ;)

Obviously, we're all familiar with the process. Everyone can nominate up to 2 people, and those people who are nominated twice get onto the ballot. Nominating those already on the ballot is not a problem - just bear in mind that nominating them will no longer make any difference due to them already having been selected.

Nominations will run for a week to a week and a half as normal. The candidates will once again be asked to make a post about themselves and why they would/would not make a good Arbiter over a several day period following the close of nominations. Once that is done, we will carry out the vote.

Think through your nominations wisely everyone.

Currently On The Ballot
Stracius
Anubis
Inquisitor
Killjoy
MS
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Arbiter Nominations 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:39 pm

BlackDove
I nominate Anubis.

You will serve in this position until the day you die, and when you die, I will try to find someway to affix your damned soul to the position so even in undeath you can serve me (us).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:57 pm

M.Steiner
Just a few comments rather than a nomination from me (for now maybe anyway). Will try keep it short, i do like to be open with my thoughts as you know :p

Anny has always done a great job whilst he has been Arbiter, and i'm more than happy for him to remain so if that's the result. IF however, we elect someone new this year, i believe it needs to be someone who is of the opinion that this place needs new life for us to stay strong & active and is in a position to try and do something about that themselves at some point during their "term". Not necessarily on their own, as it's not a one person job, but someone who will be actively involved with that ingame and not just backing others. (And someone who is actually suitable but that should go without saying).
Gaming activity here (groups) has been on the decline for a while now and with no decent new MMO's out during that time it hasn't made it easy for new groups to be made. I don't know about the rest of you but when i see all those archived group forums when we have so little active it does kinda depress me, it should be the other way around and we just keep adding to them.. Whilst we might not have had very many visually active groups for a while, the activeness on the forums has still been quite positive overall. Until recently, and that has started to decline too imho.

Until i see people's "Why Me?" posts on the actual vote i'm unsure of who to nominate this year (other than anny remaining) in view of my thoughts above, as i'm not sure "who fits the bill". To note, that person isn't me this year either so don't think of this as a "vote for me", quite the opposite. I won't have a pc capable of_any_gaming for another year probably so even though i think (that is if someone different takes the position) it needs to be someone who feels the same but can actually try & do something about it, that ain't me atm. So just incase any of you guys were thinking of nominating me this time around, please use it on someone else this year. I just wouldn't feel happy feeling like i do & being all talk/backing & no action, in the position of arbiter.
I've only heard of a few upcoming MMO's that people have shown an interest in (STO, TOR, Huxley) and most of those prolly won't be out for a long time. Don't know about any MMO games that may be released before then, or whether anyone in one of our current groups could help remedy things, so i'm not really offering any suggestions. Prolly not helping at all really lol. Just throwing my thoughts out there rather than keeping them to myself so take as you will. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:IF however, we elect someone new this year, i believe it needs to be someone who is of the opinion that this place needs new life for us to stay strong & active and is in a position to try and do something about that themselves at some point during their "term". Not necessarily on their own, as it's not a one person job, but someone who will be actively involved with that ingame and not just backing others. (And someone who is actually suitable but that should go without saying).
This. This is a good point. We do need someone to push activity, to whatever extent that is possible (after all, if none of us are playing games beyond stints on Xbox Live it'll be a little hard no matter who we pick). I suspect, however, that it will not be a simple task to judge candidates on this issue. I have a desire to bring some new life to us, but I do not see how that could be achieved without an MMO coming along that a number of us could rally around. Whilst we may find a plethora of people who share your opinion, it will always be hard to build lasting groups for the sake of us having more groups rather than because a group of people are genuinely enthusiastic about playing the game in question.

However, this brings me to another point that I was planning to make later but will raise now instead. Namely that I do not think that I would be a good choice for re-election this year due to my role as Site Administrator. A few people already know my feelings on this matter, but many do not. It has been glaringly obvious to me for some time that the role of Arbiter and Administrator should not be combined, simply because of my track record after two years in both roles simultaneously.

Much of what I have done and do with the role of Arbiter is use it to push an Administrative agenda - phpBB3, website redesigning, etc. Having realised this for some time now (since the switch of BB3 in fact) I have, whenever possible, tried to seperate the two roles internally - but it has proved difficult for me. Whilst I strongly believe the Arbiter should not be attempting to push Administrative changes, I am equally strong in my belief that it is a core part of the role of the Administrator - and that leaves me in a quandry sometimes when I move to do or say things.

I honestly don't think it's a good situation for us to be in, and that's why I'm raising the point to those who were unaware of my feelings on the matter. I thought about withdrawing from nominations, or making a rule that bars the roles from being combined, but equally I did not feel that would be fair to anyone. It is neither the role of the Arbiter or the Administrator to restrict the nomination process because he believes a particular thing, especially when others do not agree (and I know some do not).

As such, I will be content with stating my feelings and letting you all decide as to whether I am right or wrong. Nominate me if you will, and I will not complain - I just wanted everyone to be aware of my concern on the matter.

Let's not turn this into a debate thread though. As for my nominations, they will come later. Still need time to think about it myself :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:19 am

Messiah
Agreed, Anny. It is best to keep admin and arbiter separate. Very good point.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
To try and kick the ball rolling a bit on this, my nominations.

Stracius and Inquisitor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Stracius
I suspect you would've pushed the website upgrades regardless of that pesky arbiter title we hung around your neck. If you want to see it as using one role to push the agenda of the other, however, so be it. It doesn't appear to me that anything improper took place. That being said, I do have to agree that keeping the two roles separate would be a better idea, if only to reduce the stress/work load placed upon any single person.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Inquisitor
Stracius and MS
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:53 pm

Fenavian
anny and quiz.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:11 pm

SoulSeeker
Anubis & QD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Just a note to say I'll probably let this run till weekend before closing it. So if anyone who has not nominated anyone yet wants to, then you have a few days left :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Stracius
Padishar, though I haven't seen him about lately. He still lurking in the shadows somewhere?
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm

Isileth
Messiah & KJ

I know both have made comments on availability in the past but I think right now the position is very very low maintenance and im sure they would do a great job.

(Strac also, but since I can only nominate 2 I waited till one was nominated by others)

Just think it would be nice to bring in someone fresh, especially when these "new faces" have been core members for many a year. Also if time is an issue we have members that do step in, so the arbiter could go back to its more traditional role of being there to manage disputes and decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:51 am

SSX-Killjoy
Inquisitor, and Anny.

Although I thank you for the nod Isi, I doubt I would be very good at helping promote when I only play one game currently.. hahaha. Oh the days when I played every game we had groups for...
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 am

Isileth
Well that depends what the role of the arbiter is this time. Something I don't think would hurt to be clarified.

Previously its been very much mixed in with the unofficial leaders of the group as a whole and so has encompassed a much wider range of things.
When it comes to promoting and growing the group I don't think we can realistically do that relying on one person, its going to fall to the members of the individual groups as well as the whole community. I wouldn't mind therefore the arbiter to step back to being an arbiter. As I said, we have many fantastic people in this group who have been here for years and I think would be perfect for the more traditional role. They have long been key members of the group and certainly have the ability to lead discussions and debates.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Stracius
And for my other nomination, Killjoy. Be careful of his name folks, it's deceptive! Except for when it isn't....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 am

Padishar
Stracius wrote:Padishar, though I haven't seen him about lately. He still lurking in the shadows somewhere?
I am still breathin Stracius ;D

Between the 50+ hours a week at work (Salary :smack: ),
sliding a lil family time in, a lil game time in,
and as you already know dealing with the recent WoW drama :sweat:
Doesn't leave me a whole lot of time to post as much as I would like to.
I still post a couple times a week, and spend a day every few catching up on all the threads I havn't read yet...

As far as whom to nominee, I have been pondering that for a couple of days now.
For the most part, I still feel the same as I did this time last year:
Padishar wrote:I nominate Stracius and MS as well.

Stracius has always had a very cool head on his shoulders, has the candor and cut through the bs mentality needed for any 'troubles' that may need attention.
MS is always at the for front, either leading or helping out folks get started and involved (even in games he doesn't even play).

I think both are great level headed guys who are always at the front of the community.
Assuming either want the job of course... :thumb:
Since Stracius is already on the Ballet I nominate:

MS

and...

BD

Yes I said it.
You want to see change?
Some mornings you need someone who has the ballz to kick your @$$ out of bed.
Welcome to Oblivion...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Inquisitor
I'd say that the new Arbiter will have some latitude in defining the role. The Arbiter is the de facto "leader" of the SSX, sometimes head admin, certainly chief moderator (I'd say both functionally and spiritually) and all around "go to guy/gal."

We generally "rule by committee" here, the Arbiter is the final word on subjects. Help set overall priorities, play cheerleader, etc.

Given this crowd, there is generally not much to do :) I'd say that whoever this becomes, that person will have some cheerleading to do, maybe drag some groups out of the funk, help guys like Pad sort out things like this new drama, etc.
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm

BlackDove
The arbiter is the person taking everyone's shit and sorting it out.

In our case, the arbiter sleeps.

Also Pad, I lol'd. Good show.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Time to close and de-sticky this. It appears we have five nominations this year.

Before the actual vote itself occurs, you can learn a bit more about your candidates here: http://www.shatteredstar.org/forums/vie ... f=7&t=6739

Return to “Members”