At Long Last A New Home

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

At Long Last A New Home

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hi everyone.

I want to start this by apologising for the past week's experience that we have all had with the site. It's been apparent for quite a while that the performance of the server that we were sat on at Viewsnet was degrading, but in the past week it obviously degraded in an extremely swift, crippling and unnerving manner. It was suggested by Ed a long time ago that we mvoe servers, and I decided against that for various reasons. Clearly, I made the wrong decision on that count and I apologise for it.

Since the problem became apparent though, I have acted as quickly as I have been able to in order to move us to a new server with a new host - where we now sit. We are now no longer on a shared hosting platform, and instead have our own VPS with guaranteed resources and significantly greater access. We are also no longer using the PostgreSQL DBMS, and now sit instead on a MySQL system. You should all be able to see the effects of this already through page load times, but it is of significantly greater benefit than that under the hood. For the first time in several years we now have fully operational administrative systems - something which will allow us much greater control over our own server and applications. Similarly, we have full access regarding what we install and configure on the server itself, as well as the ability to make operational changes to it (reboot, terminate processes, rebuild, etc) should problems arise. These benefits should hopefully help protect us against situations such as that of of the last several months in future.

Thankfully, I had taken a complete backup of our database two weeks prior to this incident (August 16th). This means that I have a complete set of all of our data up until that point, though sadly the data from the two weeks following (or one week, since for a week of that time the server was basically completely inaccessible) has been lost. I apologise profusely for this, but don't feel that I really had any choice at the end of the day. I have been unable to access any administrative functions at Viewsnet for the duration of the problem, and was concerned enough about the general state of the server (and, in all honesty, whether we would get decent service back at all) that I felt it was impossible to put off this move until I was able to get a more recent backup. I hope everyone is ok with, and can accept that.

That said, things are not yet perfect here. At present only the forum and the majority of the main site have been restored onto the server, and the database has not yet been completely restored either (again, aside from those parts of the database relating to the forums and the main site). Similarly, the forum skin has had to be completely rewritten over the last week in order to make it possible for us to use it on this newer version of phpBB3 - and as a result of that short timeframe, it's not completely finished yet. Moderators will notice the MCP is presently incorrectly styled, and everyone else will notice that the Spoiler and Youtube BBCode's are not currently working.

I am working as fast as I can to bring everything else online and finish of the forum skin, but this is a time consuming process and I made the judgement that it was better to bring the forums/site online in their present state than to extend our already significant downtime further. I will update this thread as and when significant progress is made relating to the remaining areas of the site. Until then, please be patient, and I am sorry for any inconvenience the transitional period will cause.

I would like to make a note of special thanks to Ed and Messiah here too, who have been of great help in dealing with our domain names. Ed in particular has been pestered by me quite incessantly for the last two weeks, and continues to work on getting the shatteredstar.com domain pointed at this new server (.org and .net should already be pointed here). I am sure both will be glad to know I'll no longer need to be running to them like a headless chicken, but I hope both know how much I appreciate their help :)

I will close by asking that if anyone encounter bugs and/or issues with any part of the site or the forums, please either post them here or bring them to me via e-mail/PM/IRC. I will deal with them as quickly as possible and update here.

Again, my apologies for the last week. I hope you enjoy our new home.

- Anny
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: At Long Last A New Home

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:37 pm

Whizbang
Big :thumb: to everyone involved in this. So nice to have forums that work and load quickly.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 pm

M.Steiner
I wouldn't say you made the wrong decision in not moving servers until now so no need to apologise for that. Sure the performance here hasn't been perfect for a long time and not everything worked the way it should etc, a move would have helped yes but you weren't to know it was going to become the crippling mess that it has been these past few weeks which basically made that decision for us as it has been unusable and getting worse.
Also don't worry about the 2 weeks worth of lost posts. As I said on IRC the other day we've not had that many posts during that time anyway due to the server issues. I'm sure everyone will just be glad to have the place back online and running smoothly again. :thumb:

Huge thanks for all the time & effort you've put into moving us Anny and to Ed & Messiah for their parts too. Tis much appreciated.
I'll also say that the site is possibly the fastest it has ever been in loading pages & what not, even when things were running better on Viewsnet I can't remember it being like this. So very nice ;D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:24 am

Stracius
Take your time. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm too busy enjoying the loading speed to notice that not everything's perfect yet. On the other hand, I think I can speak for everyone when I say THANK YOU for all the time and hard work you and everyone else involved have been putting into this. We couldn't function properly without all the effort I've seen :)
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:16 am

Isileth
Aye a big thanks for the time and work put in, difference is clearly noticeable and I know having our own VPS is going to make things a lot better all round.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Ash
Cheers Anny

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Cyma
Aye, big thanks guys, this is such a difference! Good job!
Huh?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 pm

M.Steiner
Just a pointer to anyone who isn't best thrilled about receiving mass e-mail notifications.

Because the PM was sent to all registered accounts here when people reply to that PM instead of here it gets sent to all the accounts it was originally sent to as you can see in the "to" box. This triggers yet another e-mail notification for everyone who has that feature enabled. Replying to Anny's PM to complain about receiving them (will remain nameless) just adds to to the e-mails you'll receive because of that so all it does is make things worse for yourself :p

It is nice to see some old faces browsing the boards at least :). Apologies to anyone who feels put out by the notifications. We very rarely send mass PM's like that but considering how bad the server has been here recently and several of us had stopped visiting the site for the time being because of that, it was suggested to let everyone know the site was running as it should again as not everyone idles on IRC. I was one of the people who suggested it and it was not any of our intentions to spam inboxes but send 1 single e-mail so sorry for that. If you're reading this and are no longer a member here you can turn the notifications off in the user control panel up top should you wish. :thumb:
Infact thinking about it I don't think we've done a mass mail since the WoW:EU days when we moved our guild from Bladefist to Outland. Long time heh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
To update on 'unfinished issues', the following has been completed since my original post:

- Tapatalk support has been restored.
- The Spoiler and Youtube BBCodes have been restored and retroactively applied to all posts that used them.
- The forum Search has been re-indexed, meaning this should now work again.
- A forum bug has been fixed whereby posts (and PMs) that were too long were breaking the layout and running off the size of the screen, creating a horizontal scrolling situation.
- A forum bug has been fixed whereby images included in posts were not reducing in size correctly in order to aid lower resolutions.
- A forum bug has been fixed whereby when browsing in Firefox the column widths for the first post rendered differently than those of all replies.
- All files have been restored to the server including all archived group sites, save for those which have not been used in many years (these will not be being restored, though I will keep my backup of them just incase)

Work still remains to be done, including the completion of the forum skin. I will update again when more outstanding issues have been resolved.

EDIT: Also, to note, Messiah's request to add in a Facebook Like button has not been forgotten. It will be attended to once all migration related work has been completed.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 pm

M.Steiner
Hard at work again with all these fixes. Why can't all web developers be like this? :p. Do you fancy fixing GAME's website for them too whilst you're at it, Anny?. Their site has been [censored] for days now, was very unprofessional of them to launch a new site which doesn't work properly not to mention it looks like [censored] heh :smack:

[Edit - Seems the profanity filter isn't active atm so I'll censor myself :lol:]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Word censor is now fixed. Sorry about that - though users are able to turn it off through their UCP.

As for GAME, not unless they pay me :p Happy where I work already!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Messiah
Anubis wrote:EDIT: Also, to note, Messiah's request to add in a Facebook Like button has not been forgotten. It will be attended to once all migration related work has been completed.
It is not a priority, just a nice option when it is convenient.

Thanks for the effort, Anny. I appreciate your hard work.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
shatteredstar.com has now been pointed at the new server and is in the process of propogating. Those of you who prefer to use it should see it resolve correctly some time in the next 24/48 hours.

Thanks to Ed for his work in sorting out that domain for us :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Inquisitor
Sorry it took so long.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
To update again, work on the skin continues at good pace. I would anticipate finishing it at the weekend, as I am no longer rushing to get it done.

I have also begun what will be a weekly occurrence of database backups to better protect us from failure and data loss. I will more than likely keep between 4 and 10 backups before I begin replacing the oldest with the newest, to ensure as much cover for us as possible within reason.

I don't anticipate I will be updating this thread again before the weekend now - the tasks I have that remain outstanding are not critical, and I will thus be attending to them slowly. Mainly so that I can have some free time back and play Deus Ex :)

As ever though, please report any bugs or issues discovered to me and I'll deal with them asap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The forum skin is now complete, which basically brings the list of migration tasks to an end. Whilst I will be spending the next few days restoring our phpBB2 tables to the database, the data stored within those is no longer public (since all the records got ported to phpBB3 anyway) and is therefore more for archival sake than anything else.

As such, we should now be able to effectively consider everything finished. If anyone runs into any bugs or issues though (with either the forum or the main site), please let me know - it's possible that I may have overlooked something I should have done, and if that's happened over anything I will jump right on sorting it out asap :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Last update, I promise :p On MS' request I've had a look at and modified our Youtube Embed BBCode in order to modernise it. It should now render all embedded videos in "widescreen" format and play them in HD where possible (this is adjustable per video should your connection be unable to handle 720p).

So we have now moved out of the Dark Ages with regards to that particular issue ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Last update, I promise :p On MS' request I've had a look at and modified our Youtube Embed BBCode in order to modernise it. It should now render all embedded videos in "widescreen" format and play them in HD where possible (this is adjustable per video should your connection be unable to handle 720p).

So we have now moved out of the Dark Ages with regards to that particular issue ;)
:thumb: :thumb:
Awesome. Did not expect such a speedy fix ^^

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Made a few config changes on the server tonight in order to turn off directory listings. Please let me know if anyone encounters any issues with anything in the next few days - what I did seems to have done what I wanted to, and the site/forums are still working, but I can't be certain nothing was affected :)

EDIT: View Active Topics function now also works. Just noticed it was broken...sorry about that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:32 am

Stracius
The "View unread posts" function seems to be permanently stuck on, whereas before it would change to "You have no unread posts" (or some such nonsense) when, in fact, you had none.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 am

Kon
Anubis wrote:Last update, I promise :p On MS' request I've had a look at and modified our Youtube Embed BBCode in order to modernise it. It should now render all embedded videos in "widescreen" format and play them in HD where possible (this is adjustable per video should your connection be unable to handle 720p).

This is actually pretty cool since all other forums I visit which allow embedded Youtube videos still default to full screen 360p. I'm kind of amazed that we're actually ahead of the curve in any respect! ;)
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:53 am

Isileth
Kahn wrote:This is actually pretty cool since all other forums I visit which allow embedded Youtube videos still default to full screen 360p. I'm kind of amazed that we're actually ahead of the curve in any respect! ;)
As well they should, while my connection is fantastic my computer cant actually handle 720p. Why does everyone forget about those of us with old hardware, we have rights to!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 am

Kon
Yes, there is that. In summer '10 when my desktop was out of commission, I was using an old IBM ThinkPad which couldn't even hardly handle 360p. I did use it to watch Initial D First Stage on Youtube in 360p, but I had to pause each video right at the start and wait for the whole thing to load, which took longer than the actual length of the show. So I do feel your pain. :lol:
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:The "View unread posts" function seems to be permanently stuck on, whereas before it would change to "You have no unread posts" (or some such nonsense) when, in fact, you had none.
I believe that's actually intentional. Previously we were using a mod which provided View Unread Posts functionality, but in the latest versions of phpBB3 that functionality has been integrated into the default feature set. The "You have no unread posts" message does not appear to be a part of that default integration. I'll look in to seeing if I can restore it without altering the codebase this weekend though.
Isileth wrote:As well they should, while my connection is fantastic my computer cant actually handle 720p. Why does everyone forget about those of us with old hardware, we have rights to!
This is why I made certain that the controls allowing quality to be turned down were also displayed with all videos now. For those unable to use 720p, you can simply turn it down to 320/480/whatever you desire :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 am

Stracius
Not a big deal. I thought it a bit odd that it was behaving differently and thought I should point it out in case something was borked.

Return to “Members”