The D&D Forum

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

The D&D Forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:29 am

BlueFlames
http://www.shatteredstar.org/forums/vie ... f=5&t=7663

So, I flagrantly abused my mod powers this morning, and it led to a question that deserves to be discussed where more voices can join the conversation. Should I be shot dead for my treacherous behavior? Should the D&D forum be resurrected from the doldrums of the archive?

Part of what led me to posting this thread was my own hedging on how to answer Anubis' question. I'm not currently in or running an active campaign, so aside from occasionally dredging up some of the homebrew stuff I have sitting in my D&D directory, I probably wouldn't be contributing a lot to a revived D&D forum. On the other hand, the world doesn't revolve around me. Since the D&D forum was archived, a new edition of the rules has been released, Interplay lost its exclusive license to produce D&D-based video games, and there's new SSX members who, while brought in through other games, might be active D&D players.

There's the real question, then: Should my possessions also be burned, to ensure that I don't have a phylactery that will raise me as a lich, post-mortem? Who among us will be contributing to the conversation, should the D&D forum be reopened?

Note: This was deliberately not posted as a poll, for reasons that should hopefully be obvious.

[edit] Bonus question: Should Anubis be flogged, until strikethrough tags work properly? [/edit]
Last edited by BlueFlames on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The D&D Forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Strikethrough tags do work properly :p You need to use "strike" instead of "s".

As for the subject of the topic, having never really played D&D to my regret, I wouldn't be a contributor in the forum to the degree of instigating topics/discussions. That said, if I felt that I could contribute or wanted to say something that related to an ongoing discussion, odds are I would post my two cents as I usually do.

So I suppose my answer is a bit of both. No, I would be unlikely to contribute directly, but at the same time Yes I would contribute if I felt I had something to say regarding a discussion. Take that for what you will.

I would also like to note that the same principle applies to any archived forum. The general rule I've been employing is "has it had posts made in it in the last year, at the point I look at the forums with a view to 'tidying' them". I just archive them off because having them left open but not used for over a year makes the place look inactive, and also unnecessarily lengthens the main forum list. If and when people want to start posting in archived forums again, even if it's only one or two people, I am always more than happy to re-open them (as we have done for games such as FFXI in the past). Someone just needs to say something :)

Alternatively, we could always consider a broadly different policy for archiving forums if people want that. Are people happy with the present arrangement?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:27 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Are people happy with the present arrangement?
Yep, for the exact reasons you gave.
The forum index doesn't give people (new, old, visitors, whatever) a very good impression of our gaming community when it's full of group forums which haven't been used in forever, just makes the place look dead and appear as if we don't actually play anything together as a group anymore. Better to have just a few which actually get used regularly than lots which don't I think. Can always bring them out of the archive again at a later date if needed, like what's being suggested here :)

I doubt I'd post in there myself as I've never been a D&D player, unless like Anny it's something in particular I want to comment on. I don't have any objections to reviving the D&D forum if people are gonna use it though and the same goes for any other archived forum ofc :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Chimera
I will contribute to the conversation, I think I might actually be the Primus of the D&D forum, BUT if I may make the suggestion to re-name or re-word the forum so that it isn't just for Dungeons and Dragons. Table-top RPGs or something. I myself haven't played D&D in a long while but I have been playing other games (Shadowrun, Heavy Gear, Mutants and Masterminds, etc), and I think others do as well.

Thoughts?
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Chimera wrote:I will contribute to the conversation, I think I might actually be the Primus of the D&D forum, BUT if I may make the suggestion to re-name or re-word the forum so that it isn't just for Dungeons and Dragons. Table-top RPGs or something. I myself haven't played D&D in a long while but I have been playing other games (Shadowrun, Heavy Gear, Mutants and Masterminds, etc), and I think others do as well.

Thoughts?
If that's what people want I have no particular issue with it.

Were we to do it, out of curiosity, would you think though that it'd be better to leave "D&D" as it is for archive purposes and create a new, broader forum? Or would you be happy with the existing forum just being made broader?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Whizbang
If it gets renamed to TableTop games or includes that then I'd be more than happy to pitch into the conversation as my TT games collection has taken a significant boost in the last few months.

Edit - ya know, I'd also pitch in on some PnP talk as well what with me writing up a new campaign for me and some friends as well as about to undertake a new campaign hosted by a friend in a new story/setting.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Chimera
I think I prefer the idea of the existing forum being broadened, but that's my personal preference. Any others?
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm

BlueFlames
Chimera wrote:I think I prefer the idea of the existing forum being broadened, but that's my personal preference. Any others?
I think I'd be onboard with that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ok, we'll give it a go :) I'll modify and re-open the forum shortly.

Will be nice to have it active again - it was a staple of this place for so long after all :)

Edit: Ok, done. Head on over and go crazy!

Return to “Members”