Season recommends?

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Re: Season recommends?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:40 pm

M.Steiner
BlackDove wrote:Not watching ANYTHING from this season.
Same. Just regular tv shows and some older anime for me atm.
Hope next season is better cos right now they appear to be getting worse :/
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mmmm. Whilst I generally agree, Hakuouki has started out well to be fair. But that's very much a case of 'if you didn't like and/or watch the first season there's no point watching it'.

I'm actually quite surprised you aren't watching Index BD. Though from what Sankaku has shown of that, that's degenerated into nun fanservice pretty quickly.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm

M.Steiner
aye I'd have watched Hakuouki this season had I seen the first season, but other than that there's absolutely nothing really. Will probably watch them both some other time though :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:41 am

Stracius
Futile Resistance wrote:What do guys think of Iron Man so far?
Plot holes galore, even in only the first 3 episodes, and I'm not talking about the type that are expectedly resolved throughout a story. Not much character depth in anyone, including the mains. Action scenes are somewhat entertaining though. I feel like I'm watching this in a lineup of saturday morning cartoons along with TMNT and Batman. Meh.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:54 pm

M.Steiner
If this is anything to go by it doesn't look like the next season will be much of an improvement, so far anyway.

http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/upl ... ter-v2.jpg

I've added Fractale to my plan to watch list but unless some more shows get added later that'll be it I think, don't like the look or sound of any others on that list :/. (Probably the Kara no Kyoukai Epilogue OVA too eventually as I've got all those movies, just need to watch em heh). Will have to see what the others are...
(Fractale's concept art is also gorgeous)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Next season doesn't start just yet though, so don't take that chart too seriously yet. There's a reason why they aren't normally produced until just before the season starts - announcements and dating don't really fall around the same point in time.

Also, at least in the period I've been watching, Winter doesn't normally contain the best shows anyway.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:12 pm

BlackDove
Kara no Kyoukai was pretty <censored> great, I hope they do something worthwhile there.

I've watched Kimi ni Todoke 1st, and it was done great, but I just can't do anymore highschool shit and sparkles, bubbles, misunderstandings and hurt feelings.

Fractale is a maaaaaaaaaaaybe, gosick is neither here or there, rest is highschool shit and moe, pass.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Stracius
BlackDove wrote:Kara no Kyoukai was pretty <censored> great, I hope they do something worthwhile there.

Agreed, and oh? Is there going to be some sort of continuation with it? News to me, albeit most welcome.

Gosick looks like Rozen Maiden meets Sherlock Holmes complete with a trademark detective smoking pipe :lol:
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:12 pm

M.Steiner
Stracius wrote:Agreed, and oh? Is there going to be some sort of continuation with it? News to me, albeit welcome.
SSX-MS wrote:Probably the Kara no Kyoukai Epilogue OVA too eventually as I've got all those movies, just need to watch em heh
On the right side of the chart I posted above under "OVA's & Specials", unless that's another one too. Should be this http://myanimelist.net/anime/6954/Kara_ ... :_Epilogue :thumb:
Will get around to watching those at some point, had them a while now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:26 pm

M.Steiner
SSX-MS wrote:I've added Fractale to my plan to watch list but unless some more shows get added later that'll be it I think
And here's a teaser for Fractale!
http://www.japanator.com/see-the-trailer-for-yamakan-s-opus-fractale-17692.phtml wrote:Yes friends, the Winter season is soon to come, along with months' worth of new anime!

And it looks like one of the heavy hitters next season is Fractale, the next big project from Yutaka Yamamoto, also known as "Yamakan", a producer for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and director of Lucky Star, who now runs his own studio, Ordet.

Fractale's about a boy, Crane, who finds an injured girl, Phrynne. She disappears, leaving only a pendant, and Crane sets off to find her, along the way learning about the secrets of the "Fractale System" which governs the world.

Yamakan has personally stated that he would retire should the show flop badly, so it had better be good. Initial reactions from the Japanese internet note that the show "looks pretty Ghibli".

I think I agree with that sentiment, though being compared to the works of Studio Ghibli is hardly a bad thing. What do you think? Is this your jam? Check out the trailer below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAEqK1n97tU

"The Fractale system is being used in this world. This world that used to be called a Paradise 1000 years ago. This paradise has already broken though. But still, my life is happy, maybe a bit boring. Then one day before111 me a girl appeared. At that time I had no idea that that meeting would eventually change the world. Fractale."
Sure does have a Ghibli-esque feel to it which is not a bad thing at all, positive infact. Shame the trailer wasn't longer as I'd have liked to have seen more but that being said I'll definitely be checking this out. Finally a new show to look forward to. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 pm

M.Steiner
Just thought I'd post an update on Shiki now that it has finished airing as it was briefly discussed earlier in the thread.

Shiki just finished last week with a couple of specials to be included on the Blu-Ray/DVD sets later this year (May and June to be precise).
The show does start off slowly and that is partly why I wasn't instantly hooked by it in the beginning. On top of that there's quite a large amount of characters introduced (although diverse) for one to get to know and the character designs themselves I found both very strange but original too.

Shiki is one of those shows where you really need to give it a few episodes just to properly get going really. My advice would be to give it until at least episode 5 as this is when things start to kick off. As the show progresses I found it got better and better each week as the story delves into darker territory. It wasn't long before I was hooked. The last few episode in particular were excellent.
Whilst it's not 100% like for like those of you who have read or seen "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King may notice many similarities in Shiki like I did. I wasn't aware until after I had finished watching it that the author meant the novel (which the anime is based on) as a homage to Salem's Lot, or so I read after googling to see if I was the only one. So that's hardly surprising if true. Shiki does pull it off well though and I did find it rewarding, so glad I stuck with it.

I only watched 4 shows in 2010 as they were airing but other than Rainbow which I'm yet to finish :smack: and so can't fully evaluate just yet I'd say Shiki was by far the best. I'd still recommend some other shows over this of course but it's most definitely worth a watch imo, has a great soundtrack too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgpNS_Uiii4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 am

Stracius
The last few episodes failed to impress me. Lots of guro, some philosophical debating, but otherwise unimpressive character resolution.
I'm all for killing off main characters, but at least give them due respect in the process.

Perhaps things were too rushed; I suppose the specials on the blue-ray are intended to wrap things up more properly. I just don't find myself caring enough at this point to watch them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:58 pm

M.Steiner
So it's April. Any of you got any shows planned for this month? I know Anny will be watching C too but other than that?

Probably these for me;

Steins;Gate (5th April)
Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrHhfB5PdU
(Nitroplus, one of the original creators of Steins;Gate were also the original creators of Requiem for the Phantom. May not have watched this normally but might check it out for that reason, no harm in trying!)

[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (15th April)
The Japanese government was rescued from the brink of financial collapse by the Sovereign Wealth Fund. For its citizens, however, life has not improved, and unemployment, crime, suicide, and despair are rampant. Kimimaro, raised by his maternal grandmother after the disappearance of his father and the death of his mother, is a scholarship student whose only dream is to avoid all this and live a stable life. One day, however, he meets a man who offers him a large sum of money if he'll agree to pay it back. From then on his fate is radically altered as he's drawn into a mysterious area known as "The Financial District."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BzgNeg3MM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAY64aL8EEU
(From the Director of Mononoke (Kenji Nakamura) and the script writer for it (Noboru Takagi) also did scripts and composition for Baccano! and Durarara!!)

Deadman Wonderland (17th April)
Ganta Igarashi has been convicted of a crime that he hasn't committed, and sent to a new, privately owned and operated prison, where the inmates are the main attraction in a modern day twist to the gladiatorial coliseums of ancient times. Throw in a healthy dose of weird little girl, some new-found super powers, and a little conspiracy theory, and you have Deadman Wonderland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_7GTzT1Hfs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
What happened to the Appleseed remake? I was looking forward to that, but it's dropped off the lineup for some reason.

As for what IS going to air though, [C] is a given for me - I really like the synopsis, and it's in the Noitamina slot which has produced shows I've really enjoyed relatively recently (Tatami Galaxy and Tokyo Magnitude). That aside, I may try Sket Dance out to see it it can fulfill the desire for a comedy that I have at the moment. If that one doesn't work out,I may instead look at Tiger&Bunny - but that's still a doubt as of typing this.

I'm still thinking about Ao no Exorcist too, but that's still very much a 'maybe' for now. I may wait to see what the general reaction to it is, or alternatively just try the first couple of episodes and see how it goes. For now, we'll see.

As a final note, I do also want to watch STEINS;GATE but I am acutely aware that it's effectively a sequel to Chaos;Head, which I have not seen. If the show proves to be sufficiently standalone, I'll watch it. If not, I won't be doing so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:05 pm

M.Steiner
Applessed XIII has been pushed back to July by the looks of it.
If you give Blue Exorcist a try lemme know how you find that mate. I did consider that but thought I'd wait and see what the reception is like first since it has been a "maybe" for me too. Plus I'm not taking on too many shows at once that way.
As for Steins;Gate, going by the posters on MAL we don't need to have seen Chaos;Head to watch that. I wondered this too but seems we'll be fine :)

Speaking of Noitamina. Didn't post this one since it isn't airing for another couple of months but you may have seen me add No.6 to my plan to watch list the other day. That's in the noitamina slot for July ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:39 am

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:Speaking of Noitamina. Didn't post this one since it isn't airing for another couple of months but you may have seen me add No.6 to my plan to watch list the other day. That's in the noitamina slot for July ;)
Thanks, I'll probably be watching that one too when the time comes :D

And thanks for the heads up on Steins;Gate. In that case I'll definately be trying that one out too!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm

M.Steiner
Steins;Gate. Like jumping into LOST halfway through and trying to grasp the timelines and wtf is going on. This could be good! lol. :)
Going by episode 1 I'd say this has the potential to be pretty great but I'll reserve judgement for now since it's only 1 ep heh. I think it'll be one we need to follow closely to properly follow by the looks of it but not like that's a bad thing. Great voicing from Miyano Mamoru again [Light (Death Note)/Ling (FMA:B)/Kida (Durarara], he has yet to disappoint.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:Steins;Gate. Like jumping into LOST halfway through and trying to grasp the timelines and wtf is going on. This could be good! lol. :)
Going by episode 1 I'd say this has the potential to be pretty great but I'll reserve judgement for now since it's only 1 ep heh. I think it'll be one we need to follow closely to properly follow by the looks of it but not like that's a bad thing. Great voicing from Miyano Mamoru again [Light (Death Note)/Ling (FMA:B)/Kida (Durarara], he has yet to disappoint.
I'll be picking that up probably this weekend to see what it's like. Probably leave it a couple of weeks before posting my thoughts though :) Thanks for the initial comments!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:13 pm

M.Steiner
Really enjoying the shows this season. I've only been watching the weekly shows since this time last year but for me this has been the best season yet. Lots worth watching :D
Since we've had so much crap as of late I decided to add a couple more shows to my schedule on top of the 3 I posted above, figured I might as well make the most of it hehe. Especially now that some of my other shows (like Fringe) are coming to a close again.

All of these are great but so far I'd rate them; AnoHana (by far) > Deadman Wonderland > Steins;Gate > [C] > Ao no Exorcist

And the winner for OP of the season goes to Deadman Wonderland.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
This season I'm watching Steins;Gate, [C], Ao no Exorcist, and have just picked up Deadman Wonderland a few episodes in. As MS says, it's nice to have a decent season again for the first time since Spring 2010 - may it continue into future seasons too!

My order of preference differs from MS' a bit though. For me, Steins;Gate is definately leading the way, followed by Ao no Exorcist and then [C] (not yet seen enough of Deadman Wonderland yet to place it, but thus far it's comfortably behind Steins;Gate). That may yet change of course, but Steins seems quite suited to me - so we'll see if it indeed does :)

As for OPs, I still say Steins;Gate takes it :p HACKING THROUGH THE GATE!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 pm

M.Steiner
Well some of these shows are starting to wrap up now :(
AnoHana (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai :p) remains my pick of this season and the previous few seasons I have been watching. It doesn't have an incredibly deep plot or anything but for the 11 episodes it's just right. Brilliant execution, captivating, emotional and some fantastic music which fits the show perfectly. Beautifully crafted all around really, at least imo.
I've watched 10 noitamina shows now and I'd say this has been my favourite so far (with Tatami and Eden behind, then the others). Prolly not a show for everyone but I've loved it. Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for something new and/or short :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
We should probably make a new Season Recommends thread if we're going to start looking at other seasons. This one may get confusing if we roll every season into the one thread :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:00 am

Stracius
Lazy bum. Just split the thread and give it a new subject already.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:03 pm

M.Steiner
There's two new threads for summer & autumn now. Did think keeping it all to 1 thread would be tidier but considering some of the longer shows from 1 season often overlap into the next it may become hard to follow for that reason too lol.

Here's 2 last recommendations since they don't fit the other threads. Both were shown at cinemas last year in Japan but only became watchable to us this (and last) month.
The first is Colorful and the other is Studio Ghibli's The Borrower Arrietty. I loved both :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 am

Anubis
Site Admin
To bump this slightly, I have to say that I've been thoroughly enjoying Ao no Exorcist over the past 5-6 episodes. There was a lot of filler early on, which I didn't mind all that much but still recognised for what it was, yet now that it's picked up and moved onto the main plot it's definately kicked things up a notch I would say. It and Steins;Gate are the only shows that have made me truly impatient for the next episode in a while :)

Deadman Wonderland turned out to be very good too, though its ending was clearly geared towards a season 2. Hopefully one will come relatively soon, as it has left pretty much everything unresolved as things stand.

That said, it's still third best of the 'season' for me. Both Steins;Gate and Ao no Exorcist have been much more enjoyable as far as I am concerned. Been great to have a season with three really good shows in it for once though! Not had such a season in a while :)

Return to “Anime”