Spring 2012 : Recommendations

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Spring 2012 : Recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 pm

M.Steiner
It's that time again :p
- A chart for this season can be viewed here.

So here's what I'll be watching;
  • Sakamichi no Apollon (MAPPA & Tezuka Productions | noitaminA slot) [April] <- This is being directed by Watanabe who did the awesome Cowboy Bebop (just to name one) and has music from the composer (Yoko Kanno) behind Bebop as well. This has the potential to be the highlight. Trailer here.
  • Jormungand (White Fox) [April] <- The pv for this doesn't appear to be on youtube yet but you can watch it here. Looks like it could be good, similar look to Black Lagoon.
  • - Fate/Zero (part 2) (Ufotable) [April] <- Second half. Hopefully they will have retained the quality of the first half by splitting it in 2 like they did.
  • - Kimi to Boku 2 (J.C. Staff) [April] <- Second season. When the first Kimi to Boku aired last Autumn I wasn't sure what to make of it at first but in the end it went from being my least favourite of the season to one of my favs. Looking forward to this.
  • Momo e no Tegami (Production I.G) [Movie] <- Theatrical release in April so it'll still be quite some time before I get to see it. The guy behind this directed the amazing Jin-Roh.
  • Tsuritama (A-1 Pictures | noitaminA slot) [April] <- Think I may give this a try as well actually.
How about the rest of you?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Spring 2012 : Recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Damn, I only checked that list a few days ago and it's size seems to have doubled since then!

Shows that seem interesting to me at first glance:

Fate/Zero Part 2 - It should be obvious as to why. The first season was AMAZING and easily the best thing made since Brotherhood. I want moar!
Jormungand - This looks very intriguing, and the PV makes it look like the sort of thing I haven't really watched before. I'll probably give it a go as a result.
Zetman - Seems to be a superhero story. The PV looks pretty good, so I'll probably take a look.
Ozuma - Can't find a PV for this, but the description looks like it may have potential. Kinda similar to how Guilty Crown started. We'll see on this one.
Sankarea - Maybe. This completely depends on what type of show it turns out to be - serious or comedy.

I may not pick all of these up yet - they just look intriguing at this stage :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Kon
Thanks for the heads up guys. From the ones you mentioned, it looks like I'll start off with Fate/Zero and Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon).
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Stracius
Just saw Jormungand's first episode, really liked it. Look forward to more. Good call.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:Just saw Jormungand's first episode, really liked it. Look forward to more. Good call.
Oh, that's out now? Excellent - wasn't when I checked.

Will make a point to watch that in the next day or so, thanks for the heads up :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Picked up Apollon after everyone started raving about it, and I must say I'm very impressed so far. It's not on Fate/Zero's level, but thus far it's the best of the rest of the season I would say. Hope it can keep up the standard!

Oh, and I'll just leave this here:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Picked up Apollon after everyone started raving about it, and I must say I'm very impressed so far. It's not on Fate/Zero's level, but thus far it's the best of the rest of the season I would say. Hope it can keep up the standard!
Good decision, there was no way this was going to suck tbh. The only new show of this season which should have been a definite watch ;)
I'd have to disagree with you saying it's not on the same level as Fate/Zero however. They're both entirely different shows but Apollon is the highlight of the season for me just as I expected it would be. Not to say Fate/Zero has been anything but fantastic each week as that is my other highlight still, I'd rate both extremely highly. Glad to hear you decided to pick it up though mate, it would have been a crime not to :p

As for the other 2 new shows I'm watching;

Jormungand - Will have to see how this progresses but I really like what I've seen so far. Definite Black Lagoon vibes going on as suspected from the PV's however (atm) Black Lagoon is much better. Still, only 2 eps in so that's not much to judge it on.
Tsuritama - Ep 1 impression = "What the <censored> am I watching?". Really wasn't sure what to make of this at all but enjoyed ep2 a little more. Maybe this will surprise me like Kimi to Boku did.. who knows. Will stick with it and see.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:16 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Thus far:

Fate/Zero - Superb as expected. Hope it continues in the same vein.

Apollon - Been very impressed with this so far. Surprised me, as it's not the kind of show I normally watch.

Jormungand - Good, enjoyable, but nothing that's drawing me in as much as the above two are yet (save the OP :p). If it keeps it up, I'll be happy - even more so if it improves. Almost definately will watch the second series unless the show changes course drastically.

Zetman - Ok. I can see some potential in this, but I'm still not really sure where it's going yet. It's already been through two periods in time and I have a feeling it may be about to start a third. So...we'll see.

Sankarea - Dropped. Really not what I was hoping for at all, and not the kind of thing I'll watch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 am

M.Steiner
I'm going to guess not but did just incase, did anyone here decide to watch Hyouka by any chance?
I skipped over this one back when I looked at the charts originally but I've just noticed that it's a KyoAni. I bloody loved After Story among a few other animes they have listed under their name. Am just wondering whether to add this to my already ridiculous schedule or not.. hmmm! lol

Return to “Anime”