Moved AO to Spotlight

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Moved AO to Spotlight

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:02 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Just more of an FYI... I am pretty sure it will be a rarety when we have two groups at the same time creating buzz on the forums. So I figured I would go ahead and bump the AO into the Spotlight with the GW group. Who knows, maybe it will spark more interest..

I am posting in here so that if I was wrong with that choice, you guys can let me know.. :)
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Personally I dont think we should have two groups in the spotlight section. I see it as the chance to highlight one solitary group which is creating much discussion currently on the forums, and is a relatively new group.

Whilst it is true that both the GuildWars and AO groups fulfill these criteria, I don't think they should both be allowed to share the spotlight. It was created to highlight one group, not more. If we start showing off (as it were) more than one group at a time I see the message the Spotlight section is sending out changing from the promotion of a new group to "We're bigger, more active, and more popular groups than the rest". In essence, those groups standing out whereas others do not.

I vote that GuildWars be returned to its position as the sole occupant of the Spotlight section. Why not AO? Well to be truthful I feel that GuildWars has more potential for growth, whereas I am not yet convinced that the AO group will last past the expiration date of the free version. I think it makes more sense to highlight a group that is more likely to last in the long run.

Off the subject a little, but I've moved a couple of the group forums in the "Game Discussions" section around so that the list is now in alphabetical order. Keeps the forum looking tidy. As KJ said with his subject, if you guys think I'm wrong by doing that, then post here and let me know :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:00 pm

M.Steiner
Both groups have recently been made, i don't see a problem having them both in the spotlight for the time being...
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:11 pm

BlackDove
Anubis wrote: If we start showing off (as it were) more than one group at a time I see the message the Spotlight section is sending out changing from the promotion of a new group to "We're bigger, more active, and more popular groups than the rest". In essence, those groups standing out whereas others do not.
Good, because that's how it is.

The moment we start lying to eachother is the moment we go down.

If anything, those in less populated groups (like myself) should be happy with people in the spotlight position, and that they're succeeding so well.

We're all SSX here, there are no divisions and no restrictions.

I think KJ made a good call.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:20 pm

Inquisitor
good call.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:50 am

Anubis
Site Admin
BlackDove wrote:Good, because that's how it is.

The moment we start lying to eachother is the moment we go down.

If anything, those in less populated groups (like myself) should be happy with people in the spotlight position, and that they're succeeding so well.

We're all SSX here, there are no divisions and no restrictions.

I think KJ made a good call.
When the Spotlight section was first introduced it was clearly stated that:
I want new groups to have a chance and get the top spot for growth, but not at the expense of our core, solid groups.
You admit that placing more than one group in that position would make those groups stand out whereas others do not. Drawing all attention towards several select groups will affect the other groups whether we care to admit it or not. Possible candidates for membership could be put off from applying because the fact that a group is not part of the select few in the spotlight could convey the message that the group was quite small, mainly inactive, and much less popular than those select groups chosen for the Spotlight position. It will do exactly what we did not want the Spotlight section to do when it was first started.

I dont see how keeping all groups 'even' is lying to each other, as that is all I am suggesting. Is Equality not something we hold high? If that is the case then the only lies we are telling to each other are the ones we are implying by placing multiple groups in the spotlight, that those groups are better than others.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:39 am

BlackDove
Don't share the opinion myself.

By putting groups in the spotlight we show that they're prime for growth. That's all that it does, and should mean. Anyone interperting it in the wrong way, has to have pretty bad perception, because we said what the spotlight is for.

As far as equality goes, I agree to equality as members, but I am really not eager to hold back a group from shining nicely if it can, just because my own group isn't in the same position.

By preventing other groups from growing under the guise of "Equality" etc. we would be stifling eachother, for no reason at all (though I'm pretty sure I can think of a few sinister ones off the top of my head).

Just let the fresh stuff shine. The more, the better. It means we're active and blossoming, however queer that may sound.

That's the way I see it.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 am

Inquisitor
It was a good call to put the second, VERY newly formed group i nthe spotlight.

I expect it will be a rare occurence for us.

If it's not, then we can deal with it, but that means we have a different, somewhat happier problem ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:10 am

Fenavian
PErsonally, if our only problem so far is two groups in the spotlight, then I think we are doing good. I mean two groups in a spot light is not going to hurt anyone and I agree with BD (for once) on this one.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BlackDove wrote:Don't share the opinion myself.

By putting groups in the spotlight we show that they're prime for growth. That's all that it does, and should mean. Anyone interperting it in the wrong way, has to have pretty bad perception, because we said what the spotlight is for.
Yes we did, and we said what we don't want it to be. One part of the statement cant be ignored. We said not at the expense of the other groups, and as I've pointed out, this action will do exactly what we didnt want it to do. Again, as I've already said, I see this changing the message the Spotlight section sends out from promotion of a new group to implying other groups are better. I dont believe that it was ever the intention of the Spotlight section to do that either.
BlackDove wrote:As far as equality goes, I agree to equality as members, but I am really not eager to hold back a group from shining nicely if it can, just because my own group isn't in the same position.
A group does not have to be elevated to a position where it is looked at as 'better' than another group to shine. The Freespace group continues to slowly grow yet it has never been in the spotlight. What is it that stops a group from shining nicely when it isnt in the Spotlight section?

In no way am I objecting to letting the newer groups shine. The only thing I object to is placing several groups in a position where they may be looked on as better than others.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:56 pm

BlackDove
If you're arguing with me, you're arguing a moot point.

I don't care how it looks or what it could be interperted as. There are other things that are open to missinterpertation as well, for example... Quiz being the supreme ruler of everything and everyone because he's been made the arbiter. That's equally untrue as the "best group = spotlight" argument as far as I'm concerned. Since I like to think that people have brains, I would expect them to realise outright that the groups in the spotlight are the new fresh active groups.

The argument just doesn't have legs to stand on. As you said, FreeSpace has been growing slowly without being in the spotlight. Therefore the spotlight isn't harmful to the growth of the gaming community that isn't highlighted.

Also, if you're going to argue "better = spotlight" I think it'd be fair to say that currently WoW is our best group as far as membership goes anyway. They're not in the spotlight. When you look at it correctly, the spotlight doesn't really mean much in terms of "better or best". It just means we have fresh blood.

Nothing is being done at the expense of other groups, by putting two fresh formations in the spotlight. That's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:04 pm

M.Steiner
I agree with BD & LM, i can't see it doing any possible harm by keeping those two groups in the spotlight. Our other groups will still continue to grow whether they are in the spotlight or not, as BD's said.. Look at WoW. Our biggest group so far, no longer in the spotlight and its growing bigger and bigger all the time (both Euro & US)

I think we should just leave GW & AO in the spotlight for now.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:15 pm

Inquisitor
Anny, I don't understand the objection.

IRC, when you get a chance, you are not being clear.

This is an exception, and in my opinion a good one. It only sends that message if you are seding that message, so, lets talk this out before you blow a basket ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Inquisitor wrote:Anny, I don't understand the objection.

IRC, when you get a chance, you are not being clear.

This is an exception, and in my opinion a good one. It only sends that message if you are seding that message, so, lets talk this out before you blow a basket ;)
I'll be in IRC all day, slap me when you have a free moment and we'll discuss it.

Think I'd best keep it all to IRC now if all I'm doing is confusing people. I've made it pretty obvious that I object to this, for details on why just send me a PM in IRC :)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:37 pm

esd
I really don't understand the objection either.

imo it's this simple: AO is a brand new, fresh group. Therefore it belongs inthe spotlight. Guild Wars is too new to drop from the Spotlight yet, and so we have them both there.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:57 pm

Padishar
I would agree with Anny if we had a TON of groups in the spotlight (for it would overshadow the non spotlight groups) but we don't.....

That and they generally don't sit in the 'spotlight' forever, so it is just helping out our 2 newly formed groups.

Although..... Do we really need any competition competing with GW's?
SOOOO get rid of all groups except for GW's! They can form eXilesX2
MUWAAHAHAHA!!!1!! GuildsWars PWNs U all..... RAWR!

Oops sorry about that... PKr in me broke out of his cage....

/Ignore Padishar

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:15 pm

Syn
imho, its fine with me.

Most of the guys in the less active groups are the same guys in the spotlight group. I'm in Nev for example, and so far its just me and rock-n-roll that remain there, I'm also in lore which has shown slow, but quality growth for a while here, do I resent WoW and GW for attention? No, heck I join them too. We are mostly just freinds hanging out, and the guys in less actives understand that quite well.
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

Return to “Members”