Battlefield 2142, whos getting it?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Battlefield 2142, whos getting it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:30 pm

Lightforge
I just wondering how many are getting BF2142 because it would be a blast if we could get together a few ppl and destroy some stuff :P
No.. I didn't know about the set when I made the character! :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Is it using Gamespy like BF2 used? If so, I wont be buying it. BF2 was just a waste of money for me since Gamespy started being awkward and stopping me playing online :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:02 pm

SSX-Ava
I plan on getting it, along with MS most likely. However I'm not that good with the old fps'es and definately don't let me pilot anything that flies :p

I'd be up for some games with ya'all though

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:21 pm

NightDreams
Already playing the demo online.
Is good fun even if i can only play 1 map for now lol.
Lies can be good, If they are put to good use.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:46 pm

Caspae
Ill come ! If Nolimit doesnt.... YOU and your NASTY flying skills, stop tking me with airplane suicides already :<.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:03 pm

M.Steiner
I'll prolly get it at some point yea, doubt i'll be rushing to get it on the day of release or anything though.
Had the demo installed since it came out but haven't gotten around to trying it yet, looks fun though. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Padishar
SSX-MS wrote:I'll prolly get it at some point yea, doubt i'll be rushing to get it on the day of release or anything though.
Had the demo installed since it came out but haven't gotten around to trying it yet, looks fun though. :)
LOL am in almost the same exact position, been planning on playing the demo and am sure I will get the retail also when it is released... just havn't got a round to checking it out just yet hehe.

On the flip side, am Definately 100% getting NWN2 btw soon as its out :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:14 am

Sondemon
Is it anything like BF1942? Anyone got a link for some screenies for this lazy bum?
There is a cow level, and it's called MULGORE!

"I can still hear the laughter echo, and the taste of blood in my mouth.."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:43 am

M.Steiner
Anyone got a link for some screenies for this lazy bum?
Screenshots : http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/battle ... index.html
Trailers : http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2501

Demo : http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=621
Thats a torrent download for it, when i downloaded it the other week i was getting decent speeds from it. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Brittfire
i'll probably get it, play it till i'm pro, then go play wow, such is that happened to bf2 :P (fact, i own the special forces exp, fact, i've never actually played it...)
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:07 pm

Stracius
I won't even think about it until they can crank out a demo that will actually work.

I've been reading about quite a lot of people experiencing crashes when starting up the game. I'm apparently one of them.

Get the game? Hah.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:26 pm

Plovske
Padishar wrote:On the flip side, am Definately 100% getting NWN2 btw soon as its out :cool:
Same!
enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Padishar
Try this:
http://www.shdon.com/view?doc=d3dx
(DL and install the first link)

It will crashes for many folks, as you have to get a special DX set of DLLs that were updated but not released as a new DX version. Makes no sense that EA didn't include em with the demo, but then again I loathe EA to begin with......

Then why play any EA game right? Welp I am not going to punish myself from having fun just cuz they are a bunch of %%^^&#$%^^%$&#$#$%#$%^&%^&$#$#@@@$%$%$^^%^&%#@!@$^%&*$#

*- edited for explicit context (hehe)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 am

Stracius
No luck with it. Still getting the same crash on startup, but thanks for the thought. Btw, wasn't there a release just a few days ago, on the 10th? That site you linked doesn't appear to have it.

I tried installing the 10-10-06 distro for dx9.0c, didn't make a difference either. I'm already tired of trying to get their software to work for me.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:44 pm

SoulSeeker
I've been playing the demo alot ...so yes plus i'm gooina be a vet lol

And yes ava i can fly the flying things infact i can land pretty safley tbh there quite easy to fly :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:52 am

BlackDove
None of you guys mind that the game comes with spyware that's similar to SWAT 4's?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:44 am

M.Steiner
Glad i wasn't one of the ones that preordered it, didn't know about this spyware stuff until i saw it on digg yesterday. :shake:
Pic of the piece of paper you get inside the box
oh and this..

Nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:24 am

Drongnel
SSX-MS wrote:Glad i wasn't one of the ones that preordered it, didn't know about this spyware stuff until i saw it on digg yesterday. :shake:
oh and this..

Nice.

Well I was going to get this game but after looking at that lot, no thanks and no way, I can't believe that they would have me pay around 30quid for a game and then feel that they need to get more money selling my details for advertising, disgusted doesnt cover it. That cover note also contradicts itself pretty severely. :shake: :(
'I Thought what i'd do is i'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes'

Drongnel 60 Dorf hunter (Miner/Engineer)
Ank 38 Gnome mage (Engineer/Tailor)
Dinkl 38 Gnome rogue (Skinner/Leatherworker)
Tamburlaine 22 Dorf Pally (Miner/Blacksmith)
Fayed 20 Nelf Drood (Enchanter/Skinner)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:17 am

Lightforge
I just got the game, if anyone wants to play feel free to contact me at nicolailund@hotmail.com my msn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Ash
:smack: :smack: :smack: :smack:
now you tell me.

I ordered a copy whilst pre ordering NWN 2.

Why can't anything be simple.

Buy game, install game, play game, have fun.

:shake:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Stracius
SSX-MS wrote:Glad i wasn't one of the ones that preordered it, didn't know about this spyware stuff until i saw it on digg yesterday. :shake:
oh and this..

Nice.
Yeah, I saw that the next day after I gave up trying to get the demo to work. The spyware bit, that is, as I already knew about the security patch problem :shake: . Just one more reason why I won't get it.

Shame, too. I kinda feel bad for the people that spent time developing this game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:20 pm

BlackDove
Like MS posted, aside from the spyware, this is another awesome feature.

How did all this stuff slip past you Battlefield loving people? I don't care about the game and I knew all this stuff.

:weird:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:33 pm

SoulSeeker
Taken from EA Support Page----------

--------------------------------
Greetings,

We would like to provide more information on in-game advertising in Battlefield 2142. To try and help everyone better understand it, here is how it works.

The in- game advertisement is respectful of players' privacy: it never accesses files not directly related to the game, and it does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, gameplay behaviour or surfing history. As it is an integrated part of Battlefield 2142 and not a separate program, it only runs when the game is running.

Because BF2142 delivers ads by region, the IP address of the player is used to determine the region of the player and helps serve ads by region and language; for instance, a player in Paris will be presented with ads in French. Note that this IP address is not stored on the advertisement server and is not repurposed for other uses.

A unique ID number is anonymously assigned the first time the player joins a Battlefield 2142 online game. It is stored locally on the PC but is not linked to any personal details.

The in-game advertisement gathers what we call impression data, such as location of the billboard in the game or duration of advertisement impression. It
helps see how many people have seen an ad but not who has seen it.

We are also conscious that the advertisement shouldnt distract the player from the overall gaming experience, so all ads fit in the unique environment of each level in the game. The content of the ads is also controlled to ensure that no offensive content is displayed in Battlefield 2142.

We all hope that this explanation will address recent concerns on the advertisement in Battlefield 2142.

See you on the Battlefield.

Your Dice Live Team
Its part of the game and only runs while the game is running ....i'll be there but i'll be blowing the fu$%k out of billboards ^^

http://forums.easports.com/mboards/thre ... 0&tstart=0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:14 pm

Stracius
SoulSeeker wrote:
Taken from EA Support Page----------
The in-game advertisement gathers what we call “impression data”
Wikipedia wrote:In simpler terms, spyware is a type of program that watches what users do with their computer and then sends that information over the internet.
Data = information. I don't like something gathering any type of information on me without my explicite consent. In this case, the only choice I have in the matter is purchase of the game (well, installation really, but if you've already bought it then you've already grabbed your ankles).

That aside, I don't like what they do for two reasons. The first being principle. If I buy this game with additional third party software and in-game advertising then I'm saying, "Alright, I accept what you are doing, please go ahead and keep doing it." By not purchasing this product, in essence I'm saying that I don't like what they are doing, and hope they will discontinue/reduce the practice (yeah, right :rolleyes: ).

The second being my reason for playing games. I like my games for the same reasons I like reading a good book/story/novel. Escape and entertainment. They are my little worlds away from the sometimes mundane one that we live in. Now why the hell would I want to immerse myself in another world, only to be ripped back into reality by a big fat billboard advertising for some shitty-ass product that I wouldn't want to see an advertisement for in real life? Suddenly I'm not enjoying myself as much.

It is similar to when I watched first Lord of the Rings movie, Fellowship. I was completely immersed in the movie and enjoying the experience. Suddenly Legolas does some stupid ass "boarding move" using a shield as a platform to ride on. Ripped me right out of the moment and almost made me want to either throw my drink at the screen, start booing, or leave the theatre. All I could think was, "Wtf?"

I wanted to see the movie for what it represented. Did Tolkein ever throw in a skater/boarder move action sequence into his books? No. Should BF2142 (a game based in the 22nd century) show a billboard advertisement for 21st century products? No.

Now, if the developers wanted to get creative and alter current advertised products to an interpretation of their future possibilities, that would be a different scenario. At least then they might fit in with the atmosphere of the game.

My 2 bits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:55 pm

Lightforge
I havent had any of such problems so far. I could chose wether i wanted to share my information or not. I haven't had to uninstall windows updates either.

About the game however.. Its epic. So friggin cool. Just wish i had a bit better at the aircraft part.. Still a bit hard.

Return to “General Discussions”