C&C : Red Alert 3

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

C&C : Red Alert 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:40 am

Jericho78
Guys, anyone waiting for this game? Have you preordered it? What's your view and how do you anticipate it?

As for me, I'm waiting for it end of this month and there goes whatever free time I have left, if any. We can duke it out SSX style if there's a group here. Over the top technology and animals smart enough to b**ch-slap you all the way to the Stone age, beautiful ladies, Hollywood storyline, great characters, superb soundtrack, glorious eye candy, I can go on and on. What's not to like in this game? LOL

Anyway, just to build up more activity and conversation here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 pm

M.Steiner
I'll be getting this for the 360. With so many games coming out in the next month or so though it probably won't be for a while, can't possibly afford them all so close to Christmas so i need to be selective.
Me & Ava plan to get Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and Fable 2 upon release since we've been anticipating those the most, any others prolly won't be until the new year. Besides, i've still got games like Mass Effect & Lost Odyssey to keep me entertained. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:20 am

Jericho78
360 eh? Well I don't own a 360 so I'll stick to a PC, besides can't for the life of me imagine playing an RTS on a console. :smack:

I've got a list of games I'm trying to get, some are Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead (maybe), Mass Effect (how's the game like), NFS Undercover, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Oh yeah, when will Starcraft 2 and D3 be released? Next year?

As of current, I have no recent games or new ones to play besides waiting for RA 3. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:51 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Make sure you get Mass Effect. Not KOTOR standard, but a fantastic RPG all the same.

I also recommend Assassin's Creed if you haven't played it already. A good game, I quite enjoyed it. Though to note, I played the 360 versions of both these games.

Red Alert 3 I must admit hasn't aroused my attention much. I've never really been 'into' RTS games in general, though I did play and enjoy Tiberium Wars when it was released. Maybe there is too much on it's way I am looking forward to atm, but for now I doubt I will consider buying RA3 for a while at least.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:38 pm

BlackDove
Dead Space, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge.

All coming out this month I think.

RA3 doesn't catch my interest much. It's not really Red Alert. Only 1 was good, 2 was descending into something else, and now 3 is completely unrelated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:22 am

Magdalena
Trix and I plan on getting RA3, I'll post our names as soon as we find out which ones aren't taken when we log in. I'm pretty sure Undrin is as well so we'll likely be teaming up and hanging out on ventrillo for those wishing to join up together.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:35 am

Jericho78
Well mine is on it's way by courier as I type this. Can't wait for it to be in my hands in just matter of minutes. I had it delivered to my office instead of my home. I'll let you know once I'm set up online. Woot! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:03 am

Jericho78
Ok. Make it, it's in my hands now!!!!! Muahahahaha. Can't wait to go home and load it up. SHAKE IT BABY!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Jericho78
What the?! Installation takes 7.8Gb! OMG :weird:

Installation is almost done...........will be back later on with some info.

Or not. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 pm

undrin
Yeah let me know how it is. I am thinking about buying it and have asked mags and trix to check it out for me. Now I have you to look at it sooner hehe :thumb:
Xbox One: Auravil come and visit sometime!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 am

Jericho78
Waited some time for installation to complete. Once done, I installed the Gamespy Comrade for online games and EA Download Managers for updates.

Loaded it up and watched the intro movie, colorful, right in your face and great acting that made me going "More, more, more". Had a little panic when I reached the main screen, cos it went all blackout on me with only the main theme playing. Waited for a few seconds and it appeared. Found out that it was checking for updates if there's an active connection to the Internet. There was an update for online play, but I skipped that cos I wanna dive into the solo mode first with co-op with the AI commanders. The new co-op feature is definitely a huge leap in the RTS genre. As I was playing solo, I had the AI commanders to help me. You can't choose who you want but the AI commanders worked like a charm, it'll help to defend you if your base is under attack and work together with you when you're attacking. If it needed help, it will mention it to you. All these accessible through 4 command buttons at the top of the screen. Also, the new superpowers are devastating when upgraded to the higher levels. Gone are the days of nukes and weather machines. But one thing I don't get it, if Einstein created the Chronosphere, Weather Machine and Nuke, why is the Chronosphere still around while the Weather Machine and the Nuke is gone since he was removed from history by the Russians?

I disconnected my network line just to confirm and it worked fine. Started with the Russian campaign which was default. Graphics' a little cartoonish compared to previous RA titles, but special effects and all were awesome. It's a little slower to have a steady economy and build up wealth but the action, frig it, it's fast-paced and relentless. Enemies come knocking at your door a few seconds you take a breath, micro-management certainly helps here. The effect of your Stingrays and Tesla Troopers zapping enemies with their electric bolts is definitely nice-looking. So far I've cruised through 4 missions in one night. Next up the online section.

The one I got is the Premier Edition. So all the bonus stuff mentioned was included. And I got a laptop backpack with my purchase from my retailer. All in all, great game although my only grudge was the huge HDD space requirement and the cartoonish graphics. Mind you, I may be biased cos I'm a huge C&C fan and I don't expect anything from it. I just enjoy games for how it was presented as I realised you tend to be disappointed if you expect too much from a game. Definitely a great buy for me.

Expect more info as I delve more into the game in the next few days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:27 am

QuantumDelta
Is it terrible like RA2?
Or good like RA1?
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:08 am

BlackDove
It's terrible like RA2, but I've heard only good things about the co-op main campaign.

Co-op makes most things better. It made RA better online. Oh the 33.6k days...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 am

Jericho78
I have to go with BD generally but it all depends on how you look at it. I still like it and for those who think RA2 and RA3 are fallouts from RA1, in the bonus DVD, they have interviews with the makers explaining why they went the direction they took.

Gonna destroy the Statue of Liberty in the final Soviet mission. Hurrah Comrade General!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:30 pm

BlackDove
Well yeah, don't get me wrong, it's all playable, like the Tiberium Wars, etc. etc. but it just doesn't compare at all to what the original Westwood games were about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:03 am

Jericho78
BlackDove wrote:Well yeah, don't get me wrong, it's all playable, like the Tiberium Wars, etc. etc. but it just doesn't compare at all to what the original Westwood games were about.
Haha I didn't get you wrong at all mate. But the quote above, I agree with totally. Westwood games were one of a kind.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:54 am

Jericho78
Well just completed the whole thing yesterday. Definitely can't compare with previous titles, story-wise. The co-op commander really helped pull me along through the levels. Otherwise it'll feel like just a ho-hum RTS.

Action was fast and furious. I've started online and it was kinda laggy. Not too sure if it's my connection or the servers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:34 am

BlackDove
[11:30] <BlackDove> Shitty story
[11:30] <BlackDove> Shitty gameplay
[11:30] <BlackDove> Shitty mechanics
[11:30] <BlackDove> Shitty AI
[11:30] <BlackDove> Shitty game.
[11:31] <BlackDove> Avoid RA3 if you wish to not be dumber.
[11:31] <BlackDove> Get off my hard drive you sack of shit.
A modest review, by a modest man.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Jericho78
Hahaha....well can't blame ya for not giving it a try although I honestly say I know what you mean.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:52 pm

BlackDove
I finished all 3 campaigns.

I want my mind back. I lost my mind somewhere in the Japanese campaign. I couldn't find it afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:20 am

Jericho78
I've completed it quite some time ago. I kinda agree with the Japanese campaign. It was too far fetched.

The Russian and Allied campaigns were still bearable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Jericho78
If anyone's playing RA3 online, my nick there is Jericho78. Normally I hang out in the Casual Room 1 and Noobs Only, where I help new players in their game.

Oh yeah, I just got my hands on Mass Effect and FIFA 09, both superb games in their own genre.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Indigo64
I bought the game the day it came out - I was a huge fan of CnC Generals, but the damn thing was so unstable...

I know Red Alert is different from Generals, but I had high hopes (seeing as how I'm a Sup Com junkie these days - I can make a cheating AI look like a panzy)

How hard is it to meet up and play? I haven't yet tried the online component. I only really buy games anymore if they have LAN capabilities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:43 am

Jericho78
Indigo64 wrote:I bought the game the day it came out - I was a huge fan of CnC Generals, but the damn thing was so unstable...

I know Red Alert is different from Generals, but I had high hopes (seeing as how I'm a Sup Com junkie these days - I can make a cheating AI look like a panzy)

How hard is it to meet up and play? I haven't yet tried the online component. I only really buy games anymore if they have LAN capabilities.
Well I usually play at night between 9pm to 12pm and I'm at +0800 GMT. Not too sure if that time is ok for you. But if you want to try and meet up online, we can always arrange something. And yeah now I only play RA3 online. Playing against human players is way better than going one on one with the AI.

Return to “General Discussions”