Look here brutha, who you jivin' with that Cosmic Debris?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Look here brutha, who you jivin' with that Cosmic Debris?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Spreggy
Hey you guys and gals, the player formerly known as Cosmic Debris here. First, a big hello to all my old pals, those that remember me from way back from the dying days of the SSC.

It's been a long time since I've fired up a game, but I've been thinking lately of getting back into it, and what better place to get game recommendations than from my old friends?

I think I'd enjoy an online fps more than anything, something that, similar to the Tribes series, allowed a quick in and out type format, since I really don't have the time to commit to developing anything that needs constant maintenance. A newer game is preferred, as opposed to being the newbie amongst an extremely advanced culture of players. My hardware is average, p4 2.6, but light on ram at 1 gig.

What do you think?

All right you guys, have yourselves a terrific Chrismahanakwanzadan!

Best,
Spreggy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:24 am

BlackDove
People seem to be liking the newly released Left for Dead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 am

esd
Cos!

I'd suggest Lore: Invasion, but that was recently turned off :(

www.loreaftermath.com is the site of the sequel, currently in beta. Get yourself on the beta list at Instant Action and I'm sure some of us can do some prodding to get you in.

Good to see you - it's been too long :)
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Inquisitor
Hey dude, saw you on IM the other day, but was walking to a meeting. I'll ping you when I see you next time :)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Magdalena
It's not a brand new game, but the closest I've found right now to be anywhere near the original Tribes is Battlefield 2142. My hubby played it a while back, but I just started playing about a month ago off and on.

It has a small learning curve while you get the hang of different weapons etc, but it's not like going back to Tribes after everybody found out T2 and TV sucked where you didn't stand a chance against the vets still playing at that point. Also I must point out there is no jet pack, sorry I wish there was but... sigh.

You do get "rank points" as you play more but the items you get with them are more like nice extras such as a nicer scope or a more specialized weapon. You never lose the points either so it's not like something you have to keep up with. But at the same time you can't reset them so make upgrade choices wisely according to your playstyle.

It has four basic loadouts which you can further customize with these points:

Assault/Medic - Outdoor medium range combat with assault rifles, has the ability to heal yourself and comrades with health packs, and can get the ability to revive fallen comrades. Other unlocks available include upgraded assault rifle, shotgun attachment, small rocket launcher attachment.

Recon - standard sniper loadout - can upgrade with points for minor camoflauge and explosives with detonators, anti-personel mines, weapon stabilization for sniping, and improved zooming scope. Weapon upgrades are more powerful sniper rifle or a less powerful sniper rifle that can also be used though in close-range combat due to fully automatic abilities.

Support - uses saw equivalent machine (large spray little accuracy), mostly better indoors and close combat situations, also carry's ammo stations to refill comrades ammunition. Can upgrade to get a turrent and shotgun, and EMP grenades.

Engineer - Mainly an anti-vehicle loadout, starts off with a basic anti-land vehicle rocket launcher gun, also with a small machine gun equivalent to like an Uzi, not a very powerful weapon but can get the job done in a pinch against infantry. Can upgrade to get anti-land vehicle mines, EMP mines, and anti-aircraft heat seeking weapon or a stronger faster anti-ground vehicle weapon.

Vehicles:

Air Vehicles

Gunship: 2-man flying assault "helicopter" (Kinda looks and flies like a helicopter but there are no roters on top). Pilot has missiles it can fire at either air or ground units and controls the flight of the vehicle. Gunner has rapid firing gatling gun which works well on other aircraft as well and infantry troops. Secondary weapon for gunner is a wire-guided anti-armor missile, after firing the gunner actually still controls the missile to its destination.

Transport Ship: Pilot has nothing in this one to do but fly, however can carry up to 5 additional players. 2 Players will get gatling guns similar to the gunner of a gunship. Other players may use their own loadout weapons from the side doors to shoot down varios enemy troops. Players can also spawn on this vehicle while in transit if the slots are not full.

Land Vehicles: There is a large variety of land vehicles including jeeps, speeders, mechs, and tanks. I'm not listing the various guns for these because they can be slightly different depending on whether you're on an expansion map or an original map.

The main reason I find this a good comparison with tribes though is the amount of teamwork and coordination it takes to win. Within each side one person will play the commander role while the rest separate into squads. Each squad holds up to six players to go around working together to capture and defend different points on the map. The entire team gets additional points for following commander and/or squad leader directions as given and anybody can be one of these positions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Messiah
I play 2142 a couple of times per week. I am sure BD is sorting through his disdainful comments about the game, but it is relatively easy to learn and a lot of fun.

A few of us are playing a browser game called Cybernations. You can manage it in about 5 minutes per day. It is fun, but the slow pace can be frustrating at times.

Welcome back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:01 am

Fenavian
Sup CD nice to see you back. Aside from similar class roles I am not sure I agree about BF 2142. It's a fine game sure, but it doesn't have near the complexity or the speed of Tribes. Thats just my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:53 am

Plovske
sweet frank zappa video, never seen that one, its great :)
enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:13 pm

BlackDove
Messiah wrote:I play 2142 a couple of times per week. I am sure BD is sorting through his disdainful comments about the game, but it is relatively easy to learn and a lot of fun.

A few of us are playing a browser game called Cybernations. You can manage it in about 5 minutes per day. It is fun, but the slow pace can be frustrating at times.

Welcome back.
I've actually never touched the battlefield games. But don't worry, we can pretend I hate them and you for playing them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Messiah
BlackDove wrote:I've actually never touched the battlefield games. But don't worry, we can pretend I hate them and you for playing them.
Your consistency warms my heart, BD.

All is well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm

SSX-Hawk
wow Cos, long time no see :) its good to have ya back around. the only thing i'm playing (currently) is http://www.the-reincarnation.com. right now i'm playing on Guild and Arch servers. its a pretty fun turn-based game. Guild, Blitz and Solo servers are a bit more fast paced, where as Arch is kinda the slower learning server. its a great 15-min a day game, but its damn addictive lol.

i'm also hoping to get back into FFXI before long. gotta dismantle, rebuild and revamp the computer first though. and get better internet. :weird:

oh and O.T. ---> has anyone noticed the BBcode guide doesn't work? :weird:
In exile a home has been found.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-Hawk wrote:oh and O.T. ---> has anyone noticed the BBcode guide doesn't work? :weird:
Whoops. Let's just pretend it does for now.

Our move to phpBB3 is getting closer, and there is still a lot of work to be done for it, so as the BBCode Guide isn't a critical issue it likely won't be fixed before we move. I can guarantee it works fine in BB3, since I've just tested it on my install ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:47 pm

undrin
Been playing BF2142 myself.
Xbox One: Auravil come and visit sometime!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Messiah
undrin wrote:Been playing BF2142 myself.
Sounds like we need to squad up sometime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 am

Magdalena
Messiah wrote: Sounds like we need to squad up sometime soon.
Sounds like a plan... my bf handle is Allana, Trixster's is Starbuck... we're usually on vent with Undrin teaming up on Friday nights, sometimes Saturdays... other than that it's fairly sporadic during the week though (we may get online for about an hour once or twice).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:26 am

Inquisitor
I have it, did they ever sort out the widescreen issue (as in, it didn't seem to support 16:9 at all)?
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:08 am

undrin
My handle is Auravil in game. I am not sure about the wide screen issue as I still have the old style take up my desk screen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:41 am

Kon
Hey, man! It's been a very long time! I would also like to extend an offer to join us all in Cyber Nations if you'd like, but that's certainly a long way off from Tribes. :lol:

I didn't much care for BF2142 when I played the demo. BF2 is still my main FPS, however. I would echo BD's suggestion and give Left 4 Dead a try. Although some have said that it can get old after long sessions, it doesn't seem like you are particularly concerned about that.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:57 am

Messiah
Magdalena wrote:
Messiah wrote: Sounds like we need to squad up sometime soon.
Sounds like a plan... my bf handle is Allana, Trixster's is Starbuck... we're usually on vent with Undrin teaming up on Friday nights, sometimes Saturdays... other than that it's fairly sporadic during the week though (we may get online for about an hour once or twice).
My nick is SlothBeast. I am not saavy enough to understand why, but I have never been able to get my mic to work properly with 2142. I can follow squad orders, I just can't provide feedback.

Quis, I am playing in widescreen with no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:07 pm

undrin
Ok I will be sure to add ya.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 am

Trixster
don't worry about your mic in BF i have never been able to make it work in game. but I bet i should be able to help ya make it work with vent.
we can open a txt chat session in vent that way to can communicate while getting it working.
Currently playing BF2142 as Starbuck989

"If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?""
Quote by Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:12 am

Indigo64
Knew who it was even before I clicked on the forum topic. :) Hiya CD. LTNS.

My LAN buddies and I have had our heads into Far Cry 2 lately, L4D is on our radar though...

Scorched 3D is a good internet game if you ever just wanna do something mindless. I run servers for it all the time.

Oh and of course BF2 has our attention sometimes too...

Good to see ya 'gain.

Return to “General Discussions”