E3 2011

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

E3 2011

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:56 pm

M.Steiner
It's almost that time again folks!
Only 4 weeks to go until E3 2011. Hopefully a bunch of us will be watching the conferences live on IRC again this year. Don't know about you guys but I always get real hyped up for this, was fun watching them together ;)

So what are you all hoping to see more of or revealed at this years E3 then?. Those which are likely that is, of course I'd love a Shenmue III to be a surprise announcement but it ain't gonna happen :'(

My list (* = Least likely but we'll see..
Hitman 5
Bioshock Infinite
Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer gameplay not SP)
Rocksmith
Star Wars: The Old Republic (Release date please)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Mass Effect 3
Metro 2033: Last Light
Grand Theft Auto V (Announcement)
Saints Row the Third
Dragon Age 3
Borderlands 2 (Announcement)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Assassins Creed Revelations
Batman: Arkham City
Silent Hill: Downpour
Dead Island
Anno 2070
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
*Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 (Just a rumour but fingers crossed)
*Metal Gear Solid Rising
*Beyond Good & Evil 2
*Half-Life 3/episode 3
*Red Dead Redemption (PC release)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: E3 2011

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 am

Kon
From that list I only really care about Skyrim and Battlefield, both of which I have looking forward to for around 5 years now. I'm also interested in seeing how the new Deus Ex is going to turn out, but I still need to finish the original first. :p
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 am

SSX-Ava
Dead Island, Skyrim, BF3,Hitman,Deus Ex give give give give give

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 am

SL33PY
hitman, deus ex, mass effect 3 and elder scrolls are all at number 1

second place is a tie with GTA V (announcement), batman arkham city (details) and assassins creed details

third place goes to Half life Ep3 (it's about <censored> time, come on!) and Saint's row 3

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Ozone
Kahn wrote:From that list I only really care about Skyrim and Battlefield, both of which I have looking forward to for around 5 years now. I'm also interested in seeing how the new Deus Ex is going to turn out, but I still need to finish the original first. :p
In full agreement. Only difference is I managed to finish the original Deus Ex last week.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Cyma
Any Battlefield news always get my eyes hehe so definitly looking forward anything about that.

Star Wars too, this game seem to have a great future.. I hope hehe
Huh?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
A little slow in replying to this one, so forgive me for that!

Personally, my list of things to look forward to is much shorter than MS', but he does share almost all of the titles I'll be watching. Since both Duke and Dungeon Siege are releasing in the next few weeks, there won't be any information on them at E3 so they're automatically out! But games I would hope WILL be there and am looking forward to some information on (not necessarily in this order) are:

Star Wars The Old Republic
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect 3
Dragon Age 3
Saints Row The Third
Assassins Creed Revelations

If we're talking about wishlist titles too, I'd LIKE to see Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake and LA Noire announced for PC. All extremely unlikely though, and I'm not honestly expecting to see those happen if I am honest. It would also be nice to see some Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm information, but I have a feeling that any information on those will be held up until Blizzcon.

Beyond those titles listed, I'll just be casually looking for anything new that catches my eye that may be coming up. I'll definately follow the conferences (live on IRC if I can, but that will be work dependant), but probably only the rest of the show coverage casually aside from those titles that catch my eye.

Should be a fun event once again though. Lets just not hope it's not too casual (read: Kinect/Move) focused and the PC gets some love too!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 am

M.Steiner
nps :)
No Hitman Absolution btw?. I'd say Blood Money is one of my favourite games of the last 5yrs. Apparently it's going to be familiar yet very different from the previous games. I'm just hoping they're taking the gameplay in the same direction as they did with BM and not do a Splinter Cell Conviction on it or some shit. Fingers crossed.

Anubis wrote:If we're talking about wishlist titles too, I'd LIKE to see Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake and LA Noire announced for PC. All extremely unlikely though, and I'm not honestly expecting to see those happen if I am honest.
New found interest in Red Dead?. I can remember chatting to you about that long before it was released. Seem to remember you were neither impressed or interested in a Western themed game or the gameplay footage I linked. What changed your mind? :lol: :)

I would love to see a PC release of all 3 titles too but I would agree so I'm not getting my hopes up or anything. If there's a slim chance that any of them will then I'd bet on RDR simply going by the fact that they ported GTAIV 6 months later. Still that's no guarantee but I've held out on buying that one just incase. A little tempted just to buy it now since it's cheap but will wait a bit longer. Knowing my luck I'll be halfway through playing it and they'll go and announce it.

As for Alan Wake I did consider waiting to see too but I had a strong feeling that it wouldn't so bit the bullet and bought it for the 360. Still can't see it happening sadly. Would love to have a PC copy of it but I'm glad I bought it on release.

Can't see L.A. Noire releasing for PC either unfortunately but I could be wrong. I'll be both surprised and happy if it does but since that has been one of my most anticipated titles I figured I'd get that for the 360 now instead of waiting for something which may never happen. Handy that I still have the console set up as I'd rather play it on that than miss out on it completely.
Was kinda strange playing a character who I know as Ken from Mad Men at first (lots of other MM actors too ^^) as it's not just his voice but face aswell. That feeling doesn't last long though as you quickly forget when you've become immersed in what you're doing and paying attention to every little detail. It won't be taking the GOTY title from TW2 but so far it's really great. The MotionScan tech really is incredible. I hope some other developers make use of that (or something identical) in the near future.

Will have to wait and see I guess ^^

I hope that any snippets of info we get on Dragon Age 3 points in the direction of them taking it back to how Origins was. The Witcher 2 has raised the bar now. I may have been happy enough with DA2 at the time but I don't think I would now should DA3 turn out the same.

Code: Select all

Lets just not hope it's not too casual (read: Kinect/Move) focused and the PC gets some love too! 
indeed lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 am

Futile Resistance
No Borderlands 2?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm

M.Steiner
Futile Resistance wrote:No Borderlands 2?
Didn't consider that one actually but now that you mention it. Did like the first game.
I wouldn't expect anything more than an official announcement though tbh but still, another one to add to the list lol. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:No Hitman Absolution btw?. I'd say Blood Money is one of my favourite games of the last 5yrs. Apparently it's going to be familiar yet very different from the previous games. I'm just hoping they're taking the gameplay in the same direction as they did with BM and not do a Splinter Cell Conviction on it or some shit. Fingers crossed.
Hitman...has never really interested me as a franchise if I am honest. I did try, and do have a copy of Blood Money, but it's so slow paced. I find myself tiring with it very quickly, so for that reason my interest in the franchise is minimal at best honestly.
SSX-MS wrote:New found interest in Red Dead?. I can remember chatting to you about that long before it was released. Seem to remember you were neither impressed or interested in a Western themed game or the gameplay footage I linked. What changed your mind? :lol: :)
The zombie DLC ;) No real interest in playing a western, as the genre just doesn't appeal to me. A zombie apocalypse game though...!

I still say that Alan Wake will come to PC eventually, and with the amount of money LA Noire is making I'd consider that to be quite likely with regards to odds of a port too. Think it may be a bit soon for both yet though, hence why I am not really expecting anything at E3 - does not stop me hoping though :)
Futile Resistance wrote:No Borderlands 2?
I'd much rather have Duke Nukem Forever 2 announced if Gearbox are to be announcing something :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:53 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:The zombie DLC ;) No real interest in playing a western, as the genre just doesn't appeal to me. A zombie apocalypse game though...!
Ahh lol. hmm, maybe you'll be interested in Dead Island too then thinking about it. You do play from a first person perspective and there are some guns but it has a heavy emphasis on melee combat and is also open world with RPG elements. Oh and it has one of the best (Lost-esque) game trailers ever. ;). Thankfully it's not another zombie FPS like L4D as I wouldn't be interested.
Shame about Hitman but to each their own!. I loved how there were sooo many ways to go about completing your assignments.

I have just gone looking for the press conference times btw. Here they are :)
http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/microsoft-e3/

6th June
  • Microsoft: 5:30pm - 7:00pm BST | 9:30am - 11:00am PT
  • Electronic Arts: 8:30pm - 9:30pm BST | 12:30pm - 1:30pm PT
  • Ubisoft: 10:30pm - 11:45pm BST | 2:30pm - 3:45pm PT
  • Sony: 1:00am - 3:00am BST | 5:00pm - 7:00pm PT
7th June
  • Nintendo: 5:00pm - 7:00pm BST | 9:00am - 11:00am PT
  • [Gamespot] Live Show + Cam Tour - 8:00pm - 2:00am BST | 12:00pm - 6:00pm PT
8th June
  • [Gamespot] Live Show + Cam Tour - 6:00pm - 2:00am BST | 10:00am - 6:00pm PT
9th June
  • [Gamespot] Live Show + Cam Tour - 6:00pm - 12:00am BST | 10:00am - 4:00pm PT
[Edit This chart has other time zones on it too]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:6th June
  • Microsoft: 5:30pm - 7:00pm BST | 9:30am - 11:00am PT
  • Electronic Arts: 8:30pm - 9:30pm BST | 12:30pm - 1:30pm PT
  • Ubisoft: 10:30pm - 11:45pm BST | 2:30pm - 3:45pm PT
  • Sony: 1:00am - 3:00am BST | 5:00pm - 7:00pm PT
Those look VERY positive from my point of view. A lot earlier than I had been expecting. I'll definately miss the Sony one with it being that late, but I should be ok to watch the others. Quite pleased :)

Thanks for posting up the date/time info!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Padishar
In order from Most anticipated:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mass Effect 3
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Star Wars: The Old Republic

I do want Star Wars to rock, but am trying to keep my expectations low...
As I keep getting disappointed in MMO's (I mean I still own a Collectors' Copy of Tabula Rasa :smack: ).

Lets see my more recent hall of shame.... I own:
Hellgate London (Lifetime account... and how long was that? like a year?!?! DOA)
Age of Conan (Released too early and rebalance much?!?! Soon to be F2P)
Vanguard (Early Release. Reboot. Revamp. Re... oh forget about it. How many new sets of Devs can you possibly go thru?)
Star Trek Online (FUN ship battles... lame away missions ftl)
Champions Online (Should have been an upgrade or add-in to CoH/CoV instead).
Dungeons and Dragons Online (Why pay monthly for less modules and content than you get from NVW2 online? Oh wait its now F2P)
Warhammer Online (Released too early... Tho I did dig the public quests... while there was still someone to play with :nervous: )
Tabula Rasa ( :shake: DOA)

Almost Mostly Not As Shameful:
DC Online: Needs Cross-platform play, also a lower monthly fee as it is a limited action controller style game.
WoW: Seriously Needs More Content and Classes, with less farming to get incremental-carrotnstick-minor gear upgrades... It is seriously getting old :smack:
Friends n Fam keep me hooked tho, Damn Social Networking :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 am

Whizbang
Padishar wrote:In order from Most anticipated:

Lets see my more recent hall of shame.... I own:
Hellgate London (Lifetime account... and how long was that? like a year?!?! DOA)
Age of Conan (Released too early and rebalance much?!?! Soon to be F2P)
Vanguard (Early Release. Reboot. Revamp. Re... oh forget about it. How many new sets of Devs can you possibly go thru?)
Star Trek Online (FUN ship battles... lame away missions ftl)
Champions Online (Should have been an upgrade or add-in to CoH/CoV instead).
Dungeons and Dragons Online (Why pay monthly for less modules and content than you get from NVW2 online? Oh wait its now F2P)
Warhammer Online (Released too early... Tho I did dig the public quests... while there was still someone to play with :nervous: )
Tabula Rasa ( :shake: DOA)
If it makes you feel any better, I own Hellgate, AoC, Vanguard (was a beta tester and stuck with the game for the first 6 months), STO, CO, D&DO and WAR. WAR was a good idea but they should have done a 40k instead of Fantasy.

As for E3, my anxious moments will be for:

TES V: Skyrim
TOR
Battlefield 3
Dead Island
Silent Hill
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:14 am

M.Steiner
You know I've only ever bought & subscribed to 5 MMO's. (Neocron, GuildWars, WoW, FFXI and Tabula Rasa). Have beta tested lots of others inbetween of course but none which have been different enough for me to want to continue playing once they hit retail or which I had little faith in becoming successful for whatever reason. MMO's are a bit like tv shows for me. Don't like investing my time in them too early to find they get axed at the end of the first season so I usually hold back a bit and wait until they've been on air for a few seasons. Only a select few I'll start from the get go which I'm sure will turn out to be great and be renewed, HBO's Game of Thrones for example.. Needless to say TOR will be the first in 4 years for me. The fact that lots of us here are planning on playing it too should hopefully make that an even better experience than it no doubt already will. Honestly can't wait for that :)

Just thinking earlier.. a dream E3 surprise would be an announcement for a Sim City 5 along with that Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 rumour. They renewed the domain for that last year but prolly doesn't mean much lol. I can wish :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 am

Padishar
SSX-MS wrote:...Only a select few I'll start from the get go which I'm sure will turn out to be great and be renewed, HBO's Game of Thrones for example...
Nice Example :cool:

<3 Martin's Work :thumb:

I am a big fan of a Song of Fire and Ice (aka. Game of Thrones) soo much I even bought the series for my father years ago, who is hooked on the series now as well.
Been totally stoked that they made it in to a TV show :cool:
Might help pass the time between book releases (as he takes FOREVER to release a new book).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The Microsoft Press Conference was officially the worst Press Conference in all of human history. I am going to need therapy to remove the horror from my mind.

That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
EA was also surprisingly disappointing, but Ubisoft stole the show so far with what was actually a very good conference. I was quite impressed with the bulk of it (save some casual stuff in the last 15 minutes), and the Assassins Creed Revelations trailer and gameplay footage is easily the best thing to come out of a conference so far.

Ratings so far:

Microsoft: -9999/10
EA: 3/10
Ubisoft: 7/10

I won't be able to watch Sony as I have work tomorrow, but I'll catch Nintendo tomorrow. I am doubtful, but hopefully both can put on a better show than MS in particular managed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:39 am

M.Steiner
Ubi's conference remains the best of the evening I'd say. Both the CGI trailer and gameplay footage of AC Revelations looked fantastic as ever. FarCry3, Rocksmith & Brothers in Arms were other highlights for me. Would have liked to have seen some live gameplay of Rocksmith like we have for some of the other games as I'm all for a music game which lets players use a real guitar that they own and not a plastic jobbie. Hopefully more vids of that will pop up during the week.

EA's biggie was Battlefield 3 for me, though I am admittedly disappointed that we only got a 40 second or so teaser trailer for the multiplayer portion. Multi is where it's at and what sets the series apart from your CoD's. Really would have liked to have seen more of it but not to worry. I have faith in DICE.
Others worth a mention were ME3, Overstrike and the TOR trailer. TOR would have been better with some new gameplay footage instead and I was REALLY hoping for a release date but maybe some of the former will be on the floor?

Sony had Uncharted 3. The previous 2 titles are two which I already intend to play when I come to buy a PS3 but I must say the third game has peaked my interest a lot. For a console only game I was very impressed, really did look awesome. Here's the gameplay demo for those who missed it.
Only other highlight for Sony's conference was a gameplay trailer for Bioshock Infinite. The rest was mostly focused on the PSVita. Whilst the Uncharted demo on that was quite impressive it's not something I'd buy.

Microsoft.... Well I suppose Modern Warfare 3 is worth a mention but they could have cut 70% of the game sequences they showed for that as it was boring as hell. Rest of the conference was kinect this, kinect that and not worth mentioning really. Big disappointment.

Nintendo tomorrow!. Will probably miss some of it so will have to catch up with the live-blogging on IRC inbetween going afk. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am

Ash
SSX-MS wrote:Others worth a mention were ME3, Overstrike and the TOR trailer. TOR would have been better with some new gameplay footage instead and I was REALLY hoping for a release date but maybe some of the former will be on the floor?
From what I understand the big TOR presentation is today.
The CGI montage shown during the EA presentation is called Choice and is made up from the three Blur CGI trailers.
The latest CGI Trailer is called Return.
Also I expect gameplay to become available later in E3 from various fansites but also from Bioware themselves as Tatooine
and Alderaan are on show, also the first look at one of the end game raid content.

Also had a quick look through some of the E3 trailers, like the look of Elder Scrolls V and Ghost Recon - Future Warrior.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Whizbang
Wasn't able to watch much yesterday due to the unexpected events at the office and being so tired when I went home. But G4 was running a tape delay of E3 coverage so I was able to watch the Ubisoft spotlight and I was impressed by Ghost Recon: Future Soldier co-op play. Made me smile in some places. FarCry 3 looked decent as well. I was also able to catch a bit before the Ubi spotlight and saw Overstrike, which looked interesting, as well as BiA: Furious 4, which wasn't in the same vein as all the other BiA series. Might be fun, might not be. Sony's apology wasn't really an apology and what little I saw of their spotlight was not impressive.

Hopefully today I can watch a bit more of the footage and hope to catch some of the stuff I care about instead of all the stuff I couldn't give a rat's ass about.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm

M.Steiner
Ash wrote:The CGI montage shown during the EA presentation is called Choice and is made up from the three Blur CGI trailers.
Return trailer. VERY nice ^^ :D

GTTV showed these inbetween conferences too btw:
Arkham City gameplay
Skyrim gameplay

Just seen the trailer for the new Hitman game too but I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. Hoping that it's just the trailer that makes it appear action heavy. I want my hardcore stealth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:
Ash wrote:The CGI montage shown during the EA presentation is called Choice and is made up from the three Blur CGI trailers.
Now THAT is an awesome trailer (and intro movie). Why didn't they show that during the press conference instead of the rehashed composite?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Ash
Anubis wrote:
SSX-MS wrote:
Now THAT is an awesome trailer (and intro movie). Why didn't they show that during the press conference instead of the rehashed composite?
I believe it was down to time, i'm sure either Stephen Reid posted that on the forums or i heard it in an interview.
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

Return to “General Discussions”