PS3/PSN/Console exclusive recommendations?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

PS3/PSN/Console exclusive recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 pm

M.Steiner
So I got myself a PS3 a couple of weeks ago so I can finally play some of these games I've had my eye on but have never been able to play. Decided to wait until there were many games I wanted for it before I bought one, now there are plenty ^^
I've been keeping a list of the titles I've seen over the years; new, old & upcoming, but was just wondering if there are any other must play games I've missed that anyone with a PS3 (or has been making similar lists before they bought) can recommend & point me towards really. :)
I'll still play everything else on PC when possible so just after titles exclusive to the PS3 & PSN, or only available on consoles atm like RDR. :thumb:

My list atm is:
(Games I've already bought)

[indent]-PS3/PSN Exclusives-[/indent]
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [This was the first game I played on my PS3 and it was an absolute masterpiece.]
Heavy Rain [Just finished this a couple of days ago and thought it was incredible. An experience quite unlike anything else out there.. Will return to it shortly.]
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune [Currently playing. Chapter 6]
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
inFAMOUS 1 [These 2 are supposedly better than Prototype]
inFAMOUS 2
Yakuza 3 [Always wanted to play these games. Supposed to have little similarities to Shenmue too so I understand.]
Yakuza 4
Valkyria Chronicles [Tactical JRPG with anime styled art, looks pretty good]
Demon's Souls [Very highly rated RPG.]
Gran Turismo 5 [Not usually fond of racers generally but I've always been a fan of the GT series]
LittleBigPlanet
LittleBigPlanet 2
God of War III
Journey [PSN] [Best selling PSN game of all time so will see what all the fuss is about]
Final Fantasy VII [PSN] [Ofc this had to be my first PSN purchase]
Final Fantasy VIII [PSN]
Final Fantasy IX [PSN]

[indent]-Upcoming PS3 Exclusives-[/indent]
The Last of Us
The Last Guardian
Beyond: Two Souls
Ni no Kuni [RPG with gorgeous art by Studio Ghibli]
Agent
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Okami HD [PSN]

[indent]-Exclusive to consoles-[/indent]
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Beyond Good & Evil HD [PSN]
Red Dead Redemption [I've been waiting 2 years for this bastard to release on PC so sod it, I'll get it on PS3 so I can actually play it!. Will double dip if needs be]
Catherine
- The Silent Hill HD collection would have been on here too but from what I read it was a mess? Such a shame if that is indeed the case as SH2 remains one of my fav games of all time :(

Any others I've missed that are worth buying? and are the Resistance and Killzone games just the PS3's Gears of War or Halo? or are they actually worth getting too?. I'll give them a miss if they are. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: PS3/PSN/Console exclusive recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Get Asylum first. I got city for Christmas just after I got the PS3 and it was awesome. then went and got Asylum for myself. While it was good, after playing City, I was a little disappointed. If I did it the other way around I would have been blown away by both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 pm

M.Steiner
I actually already own both of these great games for the PC but thanks for the recommendations anyway, Rock. Just after exclusives which can only be played on the PS3 or consoles in general really ;)
Games like MGS4, Heavy Rain & the Uncharted series I've wanted to play for a long, long time but as a PC gamer I was never able to play them since they're exclusive to the PS3. So I'm basically starting to get stuck into all of these games I've been missing out on for so long and see if there are any others I've missed off my list hehe.
(Plus a couple of others like Red Dead Redemption which isn't exclusive to the PS3 but is still only available for consoles atm.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Lee
maybe courting contreversy bt; GT5 feels like a let down to me. got ps3 at launch expecting games that didnt appear for ages, played GRID for ages and had fun with it until GT5, its alright but no where near what i was expecting. its just a racer, nothing special (in looks, gameplay or extra's)

Dead Space made it on to PC and subsequently xbox so cant really recommend that

on the store:
wipeoutHD is worth it if its cheap (doesnt really need explanation, its the original hich pace future racer with occasion gun thingy)
Riff: everyday shooter (geometry wars or z0mb13z!1 on xbox, but with a soundtrack.)
fat princess is fun too (again if cheap, hate the expense of the psn, £10 for a fun little game isnt too much money i know - i just begrudge it as its a small little game... not a 'proper')

its not exclusive:- 1942 (its awesome all of the time)
Eeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
So...going to bump this rather than create a new thread that serves the same purpose!

I'm currently planning on buying a PS3 over the next couple of weeks. What games would people recommend for me to look at (that I won't have already played on PC)? I know I can be a bit of a stickler for certain genres, but any and all recommendations are welcome - might be I break from my norm and pick up an FPS or something if I am convinced to :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 pm

M.Steiner
I haven't played all of the PS3 games I bought/have on my plan to play list just yet but my recommendations would be:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Seem to remember you saying you've never played this series before? Give it a try. MGS is one of the best video game franchises there is. Make sure to play the previous titles before you play this one though, those alone are some of the greatest games of all time so should be experienced regardless.

Heavy Rain
I'm a sucker for psychological thrillers. This was an incredible game as far as I'm concerned and putting aside the fact that it was released over 2 years ago this was one of the best games I've played this year. Don't go reading up on it or anything just incase you come across story spoilers.

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
Unlike some HD remasters (Silent Hill :<) the HD release of these two gems was really, really well done. Highly recommended whether you played them originally on PS2 or not. Mainly for SotC which I consider to be one of the best games of all time.

The Uncharted series
Think old Tomb Raider games but better. Mainly recommending Uncharted 2 here as this is the highlight and particularly awesome but play Uncharted 1 before it, it's not a bad game or anything just the second game is in a completely different league.

None of those games can be played on the PC or any other platform but the PS3. Personally, I was more than happy with my purchase for just MGS4, Heavy Rain & Uncharted 2 tbh. I had missed out on those for soo long :)
One more. This isn't exclusive to the PS3 but still only available on consoles.

Red Dead Redemption
Don't bother waiting to see if it ever comes to PC. Just buy it for your PS3 instead and enjoy it already.

I hope to get to the Yakuza games at some point and many of the others on my list above too but won't know how good those are until I play em ofc. Hopefully before Ni no Kuni, The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls release heh.
Also I'd still wait and see if there's any special deals going in the Christmas sales tbh. Not like you haven't got anything to play on PC in the meantime or anything but up to you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above if/when you play them though mate and there's lots of upcoming releases for us to look forward to as well! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am

SoulSeeker
I'm on xbox360 taadaa so not being a ps3 fanboy i'd still recc warhammer 40k space marines if u like a bit of single player sandbox gaming and its only 7 quid atm in 'Game'

http://www.game.co.uk/en/warhammer-40k- ... %20marines

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not quite as many in the list as I'd hoped, but no matter - it's more that enough to start me off with, and there are a couple of games I want to pick up myself too :)

Probably going to buy a console tomorrow or Monday. Quite looking forward to it, though I dread having to use a Dualshock again after years with the 360 controller.

Thanks very much guys! I'll try and pick up a few of these games this week if I can.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:28 am

M.Steiner
Ofc:

inFAMOUS 1 & 2
Yakuza series
Valkyria Chronicles
Gran Turismo 5
LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2
Demon's Souls
God of War III
Journey

May turn out to be good too but I've yet to get to those. Already bought some of them (I'll be playing the Yakuza games first) but been busy with my PC games so they're in a pile waiting to be played atm. I can't, however, see any of them being as fantastic as MGS4, Heavy Rain, Ico/SotC HD, Uncharted series or RDR though. Uncharted 2, Red Dead & MGS4 are some of the highest rated (and much deserving) games on metacritic too.

On the subject of MGS4. Advice - Get the MGS HD Collection too. This doesn't include the original MGS though so you'll have to download that from the PSN (or you could play it on the original playstation or PC if you'd prefer). Then play that followed by MGS2 & 3 from the HD collection before you do Guns of the Patriots. If you give them a chance and don't give up on them I doubt you'll be disappointed. Amazing.
One of the reasons I was surprised to learn you hadn't played them before or weren't already a fan of the series is that they're quite intelligent games. They're very story heavy with lots of backstory which should be right up your street and they're not the kinda games you can just jump into halfway through for that reason. Characters and events from the previous games are mentioned throughout MGS4 and they'll be wasted on you if you jump straight into that first to say the least. As I said before though, some of the previous MGS titles are some of the best games of all time so you're in for a treat with those too having not experienced them before.

So that's:
Metal Gear Solid (PSN)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Heavy Rain
Ico & SotC HD Collection
Uncharted series
Red Dead Redemption

Start and end on a high. Quite a few to be getting on with there.
Enjoy! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Picked up:

Heavy Rain
GT5 (not so much by choice as the fact that it was part of the console bundle)
Uncharted 3
Assassin's Creed 3

To start with for now, as well as a few other sporty-type games that I wanted. Will hopefully look into others such as Infamous and MGS further down the road when I've burned through this initial group.

Thanks for the recommendations guys :) Will let you all know whether I enjoy them all!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Picked up:

Heavy Rain
GT5 (not so much by choice as the fact that it was part of the console bundle)
Uncharted 3
Assassin's Creed 3 <--
You mean this one was by choice? wtf :weird:
And a multiplatform game too. For shame my fellow PC gamer friend. For shame!

I didn't think of this when you originally said on IRC that AC3 was one of the games you'd got but just thought now. Keep it sealed and go back to the shop with it on the 23rd and exchange it for a PC copy. If it's still sealed they'd do a straight swap for ya, you'd get a tenner or more change since console games cost nearly 40 quid, saving yourself some money, and you'd be playing a superior version of the game too. Hell, you could even get the Join or Die edition of the game on PC for what what a standard edition console game costs at release heh. (Prices are <censored> retarded if you ask me. More expensive for an inferior version lol)
Infact even if you've ripped the shrink wrap off it already (the games I haven't played yet are still sealed) they would still accept it back even if they were classing it as pre-owned title, being a console copy and all.

Otherwise you've basically paid more to play a crapper version of the game on an inferior system when you have a perfectly capable gaming machine to get the most out of it on PC, which doesn't release next year or even in some months but just next week. Which to me just sounds stupid tbh with ya :p
Done this myself when I exchanged some of my 360 games for the PC versions so I didn't have to rebuy them again. Hope you enjoy the PS3 exclusives mate (and look forward to hearing your impressions of Heavy Rain!) but do yourself a favour and go and exchange AC3 on the 23rd and don't be silly now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
There were three games in the bundle ;) FIFA, AC3 and GT5.

I may well have bought it regardless though if it weren't. I am curious to see how it performs on the PS3.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 pm

M.Steiner
Anny wrote:I may well have bought it regardless though if it weren't. I am curious to see how it performs on the PS3.
Paid nearly £40 when you could have spent 25 for a superior version and saved yourself some money in the process?
It's a console title so you can pretty much guarantee that it will have: lower resolution, lower anti-aliasing, poorer graphics & options, higher chance of screen tearing, lower frame-rate, no mouse & keyboard controls etc.
I have read a few times now that the console version of AC3 has issues with texture (and people/model) pop-in too oO

I'm far from being a console hater or anything but you have a more than decent gaming PC, why on earth would you want to play an inferior version of a game on a console when it's available on PC next week? Can understand playing console/PS3 exclusives on it which you can't play on PC, that's why I bought mine too, but you'd have to be crazy to want to play AC3 on a console when you have that gaming rig sitting nearby and a PC version wouldn't cost you nearly 40 quid.
Why would I choose to watch a movie on DVD or VHS if I have a blu-ray player sitting in my room and could experience it in 1080p on that instead? etc. Doesn't make sense.

Anyway.. Up to you but I would have thought it was a no brainer really. We know PC is the superior platform when there's a choice :p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

M.Steiner
Didn't think of adding this to the thread as I'd already played it on my 360 but was talking to QD about games n stuff last night and reminded me. There's Final Fantasy XIII too, Anny ;)
I still need to play XIII-2 myself which is supposed to have improved on some of the niggles and complaints some had for the first game though, I shall add that to my list above in a sec as I'd still like to play that at some point too. That being said, whilst I did have some complaints about 13 as well and whilst it isn't my favourite of the series it's not a bad game or anything, certainly not as bad as some of the haters would have you believe. Definitely worth playing rather than writing off completely imo and I don't regret buying it at launch :thumb:

Also a little quote to go with my PC > Console AC3 post above:
From the Reddit IAmA posted yesterday wrote:So, when PC launches, it will include ALL of the console patches out at the time (so, that includes any patches we might be releasing in between now and PC launch). In addition, PC has a special patch designed to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible.

We've added extra DX11 support for the PC version, so you'll notice some significant increases in texture resolution (double-res in most cases, but quadruple in some), TESSELLATION (which is like, the new DX11 hotness) and some other shader improvements that will have an impact, but aren't all that sexy to enumerate in a reddit post, hehe.

If you're going PC, I would opt for the Digital Deluxe version if it is available, because it comes strapped with tons of extra in-game content.
You know it makes sense :p

[edit]
New details on the PC version announced yesterday (16th Nov)

More AC3 PC details wrote: Multimonitor and extra wide monitor support for both Eyefinity and nVidia surround.

Tessellation supported

Environment quality (normal, high, very high):
· Increases loading range
· Increases the LOD quality

Texture quality :
· Normal = console quality
· High = full rez textures we had available. Most of the world is 2x the rez, some stuff like animals can be 4 or 16x.

Anti-aliasing quality:
· Normal: FXAA (similar quality to console FXAA we shipped with on 360/PS3)
· High: FXAA with highest possible setting
· Very high: TXAA 4x (or FXAA+MSAA4x on AMD cards)

Shadow quality:
· Normal: console-like shadow map resolution and filtering
· High: 2x shadow map resolution
· Very high:
o 2x shadow map resolution
o new Hexagonal filter (as well as cross-cascade blending)
o Improved Ambient Occlusion algorithm
^
"There was huge demand - to make the game look better than console"
"That is only some in game basic settings"

No question about it really when you have a PC capable of playing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I may or may not have picked up both FF13 games for £7. I may or may not regret this. We shall see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 am

Thunderbird
I don't know about anyone else, but I rather enjoyed The Sly Collection (Sly 1-3 remakes) and Ratchet and Clank Collection (R&C 1-3 remakes, Deadlocked was supposedly gonna show up on PSN at some point).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Heavy Rain just justified my buying the console all on its own. Absolutely amazing game, with brilliant swerves.

Can't wait for Beyond: Two Souls now :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:55 am

M.Steiner
You and me both :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did mate. Sooo long I went without playing it and was kinda kicking myself when I eventually did early this year. Was worth the wait though. Heavy Rain is one game I'll probably always consider a top favourite of mine I think, amazing from start to finish.

We need Team Ico to hurry up with The Last Guardian too. Just recently played my HD version of Shadow of the Colossus which has left me with a need for TLG heh. Love that game.

Return to “General Discussions”