First steps...

Our SC organization can be found here. Come join us!

Moderators: Global Moderators, SC Moderators

First steps...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:38 pm

NF
Arbiter
OK then.. I've had my arm twisted (it really didn't take much!) so I could do with some advice..

What exactly do I need to purchase to get up and running in SC? Looking at the site it appears that I can spend anything from $36 up to $18,000.. I obviously don't want to be spending the top end of that but similarly I don't want to go bargain basement and end up with some old banger that I never use and end up buying another ship.

Bonus questions for extra points::
* Can I earn additional ships in game? or is buying ships the only way?
* Some of the packages include things like "Selfland Hangar".. do I want this? Are there any other bonus items I really should get?
* Are certain ships more suited to trade/fighting/other?

Sooooo confused.
NF

Re: First steps...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:51 pm

BlackDove
a) I suggest you buy the cheapest quazi-dogfighter first at this stage. It has Arena Commander, which is the current Alpha. What you can do then is hold off and try other ships when the new ingame currency is introduced in the coming weeks. You'll be able to use it to purchase any currently flyable ship, and then see what you like.

Should you like a more expensive ship down the line, and you would like to own it with real money for some reason, you can always "melt down" the current one you bought, and then just add the amount of money on top of the money you already paid for the first ship to get the better one.

b) Devs put a disclaimer on all sales that anything flyable will be available in the game without you having to pay for anything with real money.

c) Look at hangars up on youtube, SelfLand is cheap starter, AeroView is middle, Revel&York is high end. That said, they are simply aesthetic, and in the future, you'll get the one that's based on where you choose to live in the perpetual MMO universe. So I wouldn't waste money.

d) Yes. They are in fact all like that. My Super Hornet for example is straight up the dogfighting king. Others are suited to other roles, like racing, fighting, medical, transport, luxury transport, tracker, carrier, pirate, stealth etc.

We should really assemble all youtube videos of the current ships in one place so people can check out the ship they like the most. The commercials clue you in as to the role.

For example. This is the Freelancer:
This is my Hornet:
This is the M50:
And this is the idea:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm

NF
Arbiter
Thanks BD - very helpful. Mustang Alpha it is.

On my work laptop at mo and despite it being able to handle the game its frowned upon so I'll hold off until tomorrow to purchase and advise my username.
NF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:19 pm

BlackDove
Take your time.

While you take your time, have a look at our video thread. It'll give you an idea how the game plays in co-op, dogfighting or racing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:20 pm

NF
Arbiter
Will do, cheers.
NF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 pm

M.Steiner
Sound advice from BD. Will be good to have you with us dude! ;D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “Star Citizen”