The SSC and recent events

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

The SSC and recent events

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:50 pm

Inquisitor
If you have not been following along in your play book, it seems that the SSC (our erstwhile progenitors) is folding up tents and moving on to other things.

What does this mean to us? Well, not much. We may (and have) see(n) some old friends pop in, folks who are not following Risenstar on his new venture. We wellcome them as we welcome everyone. Any other ramifications remain to be seen.

If folks need to vent, I remind you that these forums are not well suited for that. IF you want to relive the creation of hte SSX, or discuss the events around the dissolution of the SSC, pop into IRC.

Just be forwarned, people have low tolerances for long complaint sessions (unless I am the one complaining, its good to be the king ;)), so, vent away, but don't let it consume you.

Pull up a stool, play some games and focus on what will keep you here, and keep you happy, rather than what may have brought you here.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:05 am

BlackDove
Oh King, I think it's time for your geriatric pills.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:32 pm

Inquisitor
Sarcasm aside, somethign else I want to mention/remind people of:

If you look at the top of the page, at the banner, you will see one word.

You will also notice the lack of 4 others. Its not that the artist formerly know as the "5 Ideals" were unimportant, or useless. I don't think they are or were. I think they were great guidelines. Words to live by, play by. Embodied alot of good things.

They made horrible "rules." The worst offender was Equality; it never allowed for leadership, even if we did have true leaders.

Once a year, we have general elections for what we call "Arbiter."

Right now, that's me. I resolve disputes, offer advice, and some times say "no." I eject people who needed ejected, and recently was labelled "bouncer" which may not be entirely innaccurate. We have a mutual agreement, by being here and holding these elections, that the Arbiter is someone you pay attention to, and, at the risk of saying a dirty word, the de factor "leader."

Not a "General" or a "King" (despite my joke), but someone who is looking out for the organization, and can be an escalation point for problems. I am elected, you are my constituents. When I stop being effective, or someone else comes along who can be more effective, I fully expect you lot to vote THEM into office.

So, our only "rule" is Friendship. Everything else is common sense, and if someone has a problem, they come to me and I try and fix it or make it go away ;)

The elections are coming up, FYI.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:57 am

Chimera
When I read Arbiter, I think Starcraft. When I think Starcraft, I think Protoss. When I think Protoss, I think Executor. And when I think Executor, I read Inquisitor.

Think about that for a second.

Executor Ed.

Cool.

Frighteningly cool.

*end transmission*

(for aiur)
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:31 am

Padishar
Pure Poetry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:37 am

SSX-Wedge
Is Gentle sobbing acceptable?

SSX-Wedge
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. FZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:33 pm

BlueFlames
Only after you've received your daily beating, Wedge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:50 am

Rinoa
New members don't know much about SSC or even know what it was. I for example joined the WoW - Outland group and only after spending almost a year in the group I found out wat the SSC was, and what we are. Maybe, it would be nice to put down a short history of some (not all, that would take too much space ;)) of the events that happened, and why we split off. This way new members know what's being talked about when SSC is mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:50 am

Dodotorpedo
Rinoa wrote:New members don't know much about SSC or even know what it was. I for example joined the WoW - Outland group and only after spending almost a year in the group I found out wat the SSC was, and what we are. Maybe, it would be nice to put down a short history of some (not all, that would take too much space ;)) of the events that happened, and why we split off. This way new members know what's being talked about when SSC is mentioned.
Zomg story time! Yes please do so :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 am

Stracius
I believe the reasoning for not posting such a brief is due to disagreements on what happened. A writeup would be an invite to a flaming of mass porportions with many people weighing in on what they think happened, why everybody else is wrong, and what everybody can go and do to themselves.

We've tried to move on, and have largely been successful. Our occasional throwbacks are when something of note happens in our former home... usually of the dramatic type (Or when the occasional someone finally loses patience, blows their top, and can't find anybody on irc to vent at :nervous: ). So to avoid beating a dead horse again we've just taken a stance that everything that needed to be said, has been said.

We had fun together, we found our differences, and, being unable to settle them, decided gaming would get back to being fun if we just seperated. The seperation happened, the fun came back, and, despite a "few" parting shots on both sides, we're done with that.

As BlackDove put in this post (found on the main page, btw), if you wish to know more you can always ask a member who is more familiar with the events. Just do so via irc or private messages, and do your part to help prevent forum fires :p .
Last edited by Stracius on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 am

Gryphon
Dodotorpedo wrote:
Rinoa wrote:New members don't know much about SSC or even know what it was. I for example joined the WoW - Outland group and only after spending almost a year in the group I found out wat the SSC was, and what we are. Maybe, it would be nice to put down a short history of some (not all, that would take too much space ;)) of the events that happened, and why we split off. This way new members know what's being talked about when SSC is mentioned.
Zomg story time! Yes please do so :P
Lomng sotry short difference in opinions, and how certain people conducted themselves. To be honest it's best to run a quick search, as I for one am not keen on stirring up foul memories.
ESO - EU - Ebonheart
Jalfrezi - Khajit DK/Destro
Peeks-Through-Windows - Argonian Templar/Resto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:02 am

M.Steiner
We've always gone by this:
Right off the bat, if anyone is wondering why we are exiles or in exile, You should ask the members to shed light on that issue, preferably from more sources, because everyone holds their own opinion and reasoning for our position. The only important thing to say is that we are exiles by choice, not because we were forced to be.
Its not so easy just to write down what happened and why we left because everybody left for their own reasons, not all of them were the same and not everybody left at the same time either. If you were to ask x why he left you would get a different answer than you would from y so to speak.. So it is probably easier for people just to come and ask the people that were SSC the reasons why they became an exile. :)

Your mathematical analogies have been fixed by The Allmighty.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:38 pm

NF
Arbiter
Well I joined SSX cos I thought it was a club for snowboard gamers.. ::sigh:: too embarassed to admit my mistake so stayed around.

hehe kidding of course but have to agree with above posts, if you really wanna know PM some people or chat on IRC about it..

But to be honest how often is the history of the SSX gonna come up now that SSC is no more (at least in its current incarnation). Sleeping dogs and all that.
NF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:35 pm

jozef
NF wrote:
But to be honest how often is the history of the SSX gonna come up now that SSC is no more (at least in its current incarnation). Sleeping dogs and all that.
Being part of the generation that hasn't experience the transition from the SSC, I believe the issue will come up less as more of my kind are adopted into the family.

I think it is important for us to be educated about the move, but more important to visit often the vision that led those transitioning leaders to bring us where we are today. They've built a great foundation for us newcomers and deserve to be remembered.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:25 am

Futile Resistance
I was fortunate enough to be "in a gaming lull" when it all happened. Before I knew it, Sir Rah was MSN-ing me and telling me to join the new group.

So even those that "moved" with the group are still clueless to the specific details, but like all the previous posts have said, "moved on, been successful, end of story"... Or the beginning of a new one ;D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:52 pm

Inquisitor
There were some fundamental disagreements about how things should work inside a gaming group, and some severe personality clashes (most of which involving me, and not in a good way). I made a bad decision and nearly forcibly took over the SSC website, then, in a moment of clarity, stayed my action and elected to simply leave. I got "caught" after the fact, which was the source of some additional drama, culminating in what has become my achilles heel in online debates, being branded a nazi. Over the course of about a week, some 60 of the SSC, not counting in game folks who never posted, left and most of them ended up here. That started what seemed to be a mass exodus. Entire divisions left, some, like the Darkspace peeps, went out and found their own way. The real number I think was well over 60. We felt exiled, even if it was by our own choice, from something we loved very much. Its rare to find a safe haven in gaming, we had it, and then we didn't. The name "exiles" is symbolic of htat feeling. I also think it serves to remind us of what not to do, learning from the past ensures that we are less likely to repeat it.

People (myself included) became overly dogmatic, some of us thought the groups ideals were interpreted one way, others pretty much took the opposite meaning. The disgareements were strong, violent (well, as violent as anything can be online) and if people had been in the same room at the time, I am sure someone would have thrown a punch. Many of us put alot of effort into the SSC, and that effort seemed shattered (no pun intended). I hold some extremely bitter feelings towards a handful of the folks I believe were most responsible for our circumstance, and some regret and shame for not reacting better to the events. Those feelings though, are now relegated to the personal, if you want an earful about certain people, I'll happily rant, but only in real time. I'm uninterested in giving them any more soundbites ;)

So, here we are. We play games, we have fun, and we try to avoid the typical silliness. We are a social club of sorts, one that plays games together socially, and chooses the remain together because it gives us some pleasure. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Folks will notice we don't have the 5 Ideals the SSC had, one and only one word appears below the banner up top: Friendship.

We don't have "rules lawyer" debates about what "Honor" means, what "Integrity" translates to in a game, or how "Equality" doesn't equal anarchy. We don't have a code of conduct requiring pages of descriptive exceptions, ferreting out all the possible outcomes of in or out of game drama. There's nothing to bring us authorial intent arguments, no codex by which we mandate people live, game and interpet in a specific way. Stuff gets dealt with as it comes up, rather than reading from a rule book, we discuss it (sometimes in a emotional way), deal with it, and decide.

We're not afraid to have people step up and be in charge, though we're not treating it like a typical clan with authoritarian leaders, all our "leaders" are in charge because the people who play with them WANT them to be in charge. As soon as any one of us loses that mandate, we step aside.

All of these things are different from what we were at the SSC. I think that some of what the new RIGHT group is trying to do is correct some of those same flaws I believe we corrected two years ago when we "left" and reformed here. I think we're doing it right (again, no pun intended), it remains to be seen how successful they will be.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Padishar
er... is that how you want to be remembered Ed?
We all have breaking limits... every last one of us do.
So instead of mentioning the cataclysmic (sp?) months and months of anger and drama that lead up to you exploding, or even others finally reaching their breaking point as well... bah nm.
Going to move on, how you wish to remember your deeds (and have others remember) is all you.

This as good a time as any to give my 'recreation' of events from the beginning.
Now that the SSC is no more I think I can do so 'semi' neutrally..
If I do get upset I will walk away and come back to this later.
On the same note, I wasn't there when the SSC was actually formed, I came in a bit later.. so that part of history can be gotten by someone else. I will say how I believe it went down from being there thru the years, but I was also a bit of a.... um... bit of pothead back then.
So I might need a lil correction on a thing or 2, lol.
Going to type it in a openoffice doc then will post it here.
No worries, going to be instructional with it instead of controvisial.
I think Joz is right and a record should be kept, respectfully.

At any time feel free to correct me or ask meh to omit a thing or 2.
I got a thick skin and am flying offa memory on this.
Even tho I do have a archived copy of most of the ending threads that led to our departure and formation of the SSX, I am not going to go to those as I am actually going to try and build a history of, instead of a "you said this he did that type of statement". Tho a couple of things should be mentioned.
Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:54 pm

BlackDove
Much as it is nice what Ed wrote soft-core-ing it a touch, when you step back and look at the big picture, that really wasn't the reason at all why we had to leave.

The reason was a unilateral full scale move perpetuated by mainly everyone, which was the cause of the need for the split. It is why the rift couldn't have been healed no matter how much some people tried to fix it.

I won't say what the actual reason is, it does a disservice to everyone here and the comment isn't necessary two years after the factl, but Ed it seems to me like you didn't get what exactly happened past your own and others' individual personal experiences. Sure there was that, but there was a much bigger global issue we've faced that was the actual moving point.

Anyway, I'm not interested in writing history books. Someone else can have at it. I don't even really care about the accuracy of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:07 pm

Inquisitor
Nothing either of you said contradicts what I said ;)

And i don't mind be remembered as part of hte conflict, it keeps me honest, I made mistakes, I learned from them, and I like to remind myself of them from time to time. It keeps my ego in check.

So, fundamental, severe differences ;)

Alot of the drama stemmed from those differences, and alot of that drama was centered around a few individuals, and I was one of those handful. The months and months of anger were symptoms of those diofferences. I may have "soft-cored" it, but it was two years ago, so the nerves aren't nearly as raw as they were, at least for me.

We indivdually decided that the SSC was no longer the place we wanted to be. Each person here made that decision, some just followed their friends in game, others who were involved were sick of certain people or certain conditions and made the decision for their own reasons. Some people saw the same things I saw, and decided to have none of it, like I decided. It WAS personal. The SSC was very special to me, I took it all very personally.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 pm

Rock-n-Roll
I think the reasons for leaving were varied and different for different people.

While there were events that took place with a few people being the central characters in the breaking point, every one of us made decision based on factors from the actual breaking incident, to following friends, to finally seeing things addressed from problems years before the split (one of my personal reasons)

I think that without a full history of the SSC, it would be difficult to understand every facet of every persons reasons for leaving.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Padishar
Rock-n-Roll wrote: I think that without a full history of the SSC, it would be difficult to understand every facet of every persons reasons for leaving.
Working on it, at first I thought "yeah sure, now is a good time to do this and I was there for most of it, so let me put it all down real fast...." um yeah right. :eek:

Am a bit lucky that I have always been a bit of a archiver and have alot of the old threads (even a pic of our first set of ideals) and even have all of the months of debate before our foundation of the SSX, aside from the deleted or lost in the the SSC forums 'upgrade' that accured, but daaaamn....been working on it for hours am like 3 pages into it and don't see a end in the near future.. so um...

Be patient with meh, its going to take a bit :sweat:

On a side note, most of my time as a mod in the SSC I spent trying to stay neutral and keep the peace. It wasn't until the end that I felt guilty for not standing up for friends (or even those more in the 'right' so to speak) and hit my own breaking point and let loose my damn self hehe.

So I 'believe' I can give a decent account of things from the formation, many of the ways we did things to our eventual demise and evacution, might even be able to account for the recent demise of the SSC itself. We shall see. Got a couple of 'interviews' I want to pull off first to get some other perspectives on the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Good luck with all that Pad, its a huge undertaking. I was with SSC back in the Freespace days before they even had a real website, just a god awful message board with stacked up threads that was really hard to follow. And while close to the start, the SSC was around for awhile before that.

My point being, there is ALOT of history in the SSC and not many people who were around from the start of it. With groups splintering off (quite a few from FS and FS2) to entire divisions leaving wholesale to people returning in dribs and drabs to the formation of the SSX. There's probably close to 10 years of gaming history there.

Quite an undertaking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:57 pm

NF
Arbiter
Bloomin' hummer Pad thats definitely a mammoth task! Good luck to you though, would love to see it complete (or as close as you can get it!)

:thumb:
NF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:17 pm

Padishar
Thx m8's, yeah i was there for FS and Earth2021 and there wasn't much of a 'site' so to speak and just like you said R&R: I know also that I wasn't there from the start either.... LOL.

Think I will post a good chunk of it then let people add to it, cuz there is no way a single person can account for all of it... waay to much info :sweat:

Also some things I will not be able to say much on as I stayed away from, for instance:
The old Academy forum.
My interest was solely on gaming and protecting the unity of SSC back then, i was not it arguing over controversial topics.
So I know little of the acheivments, exploits or even of the eventual falling out of certain members due to disagreements there. So if there is someone who has first hand knowledge to add there I would be most appreciative.

Instead of posting various ruff drafts here, I will simply make available the work in progress to anyone who wishes it, just PM me and I will send it to ya :) Eventually we can then have a semi-formal draft to post here that can be added to/taken away from but will be in a much more formal (and better formated) then in its current unweildy state.
Plz, Feel free to change anything you like as in the end I would like this to be a joint and mostly mutual combinations of our history to be remembered (and I will of course have everything backed up ;))

Only thing at this point I would ask is gimme at least a week or so as it is already obvious this is going to take some time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:48 pm

Padishar
Also if memory serves didn't wedge have some various things back then backed up as well? or was that all on the SSC servers themselves?

Seems like I asked ya from time to time to look up some old decisions we had made or something (after switching forum servers for the 2nd or 3rd time LOL). I am talking about some reeeaaaallly old stuff here.

Anything?

Return to “Members”