main page changes

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: main page changes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:42 pm

SL33PY
that's a carousel, default with bootstrap and jquery is super easy even my wife's webshop has that

http://www.piekewieke.be :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:53 pm

M.Steiner
Yep, like that. Wasn't sure what they were called :D
One of those using the last 3 or so screenshots we have uploaded to our gallery would make a nice addition to the front page I think. At least the picture of it I have in my head!. I'll see if I can do a mock-up in PS to see what it would look like at 1080.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 pm

M.Steiner
Mock-up:
FrontPageMockup.jpg
FrontPageMockup.jpg (488.11 KiB) Viewed 8679 times
Btw, not important but I noticed that in the "preview" post when clicking the image it screws the layout on the right like before. Just not when you've actually posted. If that makes sense?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:47 pm

SL33PY
lets propose another change :) :)

how about you make "Archived groups" a link to another page or view (in the central div on the homepage) from which people can navigate further away.

I noticed that people find it confusing and they don't see "archived groups" and tell me, "That game doesn't even exist anymore, how old is this shit?"

I'm like "Helloo! 'archived group'?"

you get what i mean :D

Thanks in advance for the awesome work anubis :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Edit:

As alternative to m.s. share buttons you can have a "Share me" label and then the small icons that target a share ... I'm afraid that otherwise it will be too heavy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:37 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:how about you make "Archived groups" a link to another page or view (in the central div on the homepage) from which people can navigate further away.
How about a drop-down menu if that's possible?
The button would look like the "Archived News" button on the opposite side except by pressing the Archived Groups button you'd drop a menu down where these links would appear instead. This keeps the links on the main page but neatly hidden away until you drop said menu down, rather than navigating someone away to another page or whatever.

I've done a sprite image to match the news one:

I certainly wouldn't remove them completely, as I think it's great that we've made a point of preserving and showing off our history, if only for the SSX days atm (SSC too when we finish that bloody timeline :p). As of right now though the archived group links are dominating the groups above them because there are so many of them. Adding them into a drop-down menu (in the same place on the site) would be a good idea though I think :)
SL33PY wrote:As alternative to m.s. share buttons you can have a "Share me" label and then the small icons that target a share ... I'm afraid that otherwise it will be too heavy
I could do a "share me" button as well if needed but will hold off for now. Anny hasn't posted in here since last Thu so I'll wait and see what he thinks about the rest of this stuff first, and if/how he thinks they can be implemented before I do any more images. That way I'm not wasting any time or having to go back and redo stuff :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I don't think the idea of larger banner images works myself unless it's either attached to news or links. The mock up looks nice and all, but it also looks like an image there for an image's sake rather than for a reason - not a good thing. It would also require us to provide new "thumbnail" size images for each of the hundreds of images in the gallery, which is not a simple ask. I'm also fond of the SSOTD as a separate note, as it lets us showcase our very large gallery in an accessible way :)

With regards to the Like buttons etc, I haven't forgotten but need to have a think (and probably prompt a discussion) about how people are expecting them to work before I can go ahead and do anything. I'm not completely clear on it, and don't want to start dev without knowing what I'm aiming to produce :)

Finally, I'm open to making changes to the Archived Groups list if people want. Like MS said I would not want them removed, as I think it's really important to make available and preserve our history - there's a lot of awesome content in there. A drop-down-list is doable certainly, but I'm not altogether certain that button style works as a way to present it - particularly given we already have a link of that style on the page which behaves differently. To be honest I'm not overly sure that a drop down navigation style element works well at all in the overall design, given we don't use it anywhere else across the entire website, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Probably needs thinking about from an MS (i.e. creative) perspective :)

EDIT: To be honest, I think that drop down style top navigation would be a good thing for us, as we have an awful lot of content we try to include at the moment (and some we can't due to link overload). But implementing it in a broad and inclusive way would almost certainly require a full redesign of the site. So...yeah...
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:22 pm

SL33PY
you could make the menu over there a bootstrap accordion, with only the current groups open, so people can still navigate to the archived groups if they like

Also for the random pic of the day, it might be interesting to produce something (a php file :) ) that randomly selects one picture each day and posts it on twitter at 6pm 'ish "#SSX random pic of the day: http://tinyu.rl/1HJD4 #nameofgameofrandomshot"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, I know how I could do the dropdown. It's really easy infact. The presentation just needs thinking about first as I say. One single drop down element on a completely static site isn't natural, and we need to present it in a way so that it's obvious what it is and that it differs from the other content.

As for the picture of the day, if Twitter allows that kind of thing then yes I could, fairly easily, since I'd just be extending slightly the SSOTD code we already have :)

EDIT: To be continued here, plox? :p Website Change Requests
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “Members”